Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What comics did you read and like this week?

Comments

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    A Saga week is always a treat.

And I thought Infinity had a strong start.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited August 2013
    Infinity. Hickman drove a knife into my heart and twisted the blade.

• Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited August 2013
    I have to wait a month until I see anything of Infinity. But from my latest package, I guess I best enjoyed Daredevil #29 , the first two issues of Hunger, and the seventh issue of Dr Who: Prisoners Of Time.
  • spidspid Posts: 203
    Thor: God of Thunder #11 wrapped up one of the most enjoyable story arcs I have read in a while.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Fearless Defenders continues to entertain. This week's issue not only featured a cool guest star (who might become a semi-regular), but callbacks to the best Hulk story ever and one of the best Marvel books of the 70s.

I also read the first TPB of the new run of Prophet and really enjoyed it. I had tried to read it before but couldn't get into it, but after reading that it's basically supposed to be Space Conan I was able to wrap my head around it more and dig it.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Saga 13. Still utter class.
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I'm digging through a big batch of Star Trek comics from IDW, and I REALLY liked the Klingon mini-series from 2007. It told the events leading up to the alliance between the Federation and the Empire, as well as the Klingon point of view on a few of the classic Trek episodes. Solid art, a nice way to revisit old stories and a good framing device.

Really fun stuff and it fed me current need for new Star Trek stuff.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    I've been rereading Transmetropolitian. I'm halfway through and it's still pretty good.
  • I finished "Stumptown" this morning and I loved it. Got me pumped for "Lazarus" when the trade comes out.
  • Greg said:

I love Hickman's Avengers saga and think Infinity is finally going to be a strong Marvel event because of his tight plotting.
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    mwhitt80 said:

I've been rereading Transmetropolitian. I'm halfway through and it's still pretty good.

I loved that series...and it's one of the rare ones where Ellis actually fished a story!

I keed, I keed!

No, really, he hasn't finished a story since 1998.

I loved that series...and it's one of the rare ones where Ellis actually fished a story!

I keed, I keed!

No, really, he hasn't finished a story since 1998.

You just Spidered Ellis...

• KrescanKrescan Posts: 623

Greg said:

I love Hickman's Avengers saga and think Infinity is finally going to be a strong Marvel event because of his tight plotting.
    I'm going to need some cliffnotes I am pretty lost and Infinity introduced me to 5 or 6 characters I'm not familiar with. And what I'm seeing right now is Iron Man is in deep space in his own title, in a different part of deep space with the Guardians and on Earth with the Avengers? I know they don't always stay linear but aren't at least Infinity and Guardians going to tie in together? Is Rhodey back?

• Krescan said:

Greg said:

I'm going to need some cliffnotes I am pretty lost and Infinity introduced me to 5 or 6 characters I'm not familiar with. And what I'm seeing right now is Iron Man is in deep space in his own title, in a different part of deep space with the Guardians and on Earth with the Avengers? I know they don't always stay linear but aren't at least Infinity and Guardians going to tie in together? Is Rhodey back?

Well, recent issues of the Avengers had Tony operating an Iron Man LMD by remote from wherever he was in space, but the most recent issue of New Avengers had him just recently returned from space.

Rhodey is back, but is busy with the Secret Avengers.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited August 2013
    "Intelligence without imagination is pretty much useless" ~ Franklin Richards

I ended up picking up the rest of Hickman's FF series (pre Marvel NOW!) on comiXology recently and finished the series today. I feel as though much of Hickman's work can be a little over my head, but this whole series was amazingly fun. Perhaps a little lofty for children, but still very appropriate for any age. The issues go even more fun toward the end!

• mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited August 2013
    Well I read Fairest Vol. 2 The Hidden Kingdom tpb this time. The volume's main story is about Repunzel set before Fables Vol. 1. It has Repunzel, Joel Crow & Jack traveling from Fabletown to Tokyo. I will not lie to you this story gives the reader the complete run around. You think it is about Repunzel wanting to find out what happened to her kids but it takes a sharp right hand turn into a wanna be villain & fight w/ little payoff. The scenery around the main plot is nice & learning about different cultures is a welcome change but the story itself drags on for 6 issues. Lauren Beukes took a swing & a big fat miss in her arc w/ Fablesverse. I give the main story a 1.5 out of 5 stars rating. Then we move onto a Willingham story for a one & done tale. Lets just say even thinking about this short story makes me want to throw up often. Willingham FAILED w/ the story but I liked lesson learned by the Fox & not the moral of the story that the guest star was trying to teach w/ on the epilogue to another 3rd party on the last page of the collection. Willingham gets a 1 star out of 5 stars for his contribution. With Fairest collections changing guest writers & artists every arc I will give the next volume a chance to impress me. I didn't like this story but maybe the next volume will like the 1st volume did. Seriously don't eat just before getting to the Willingham short story you have been warned.

Matthew
    Lately I've been picking a title from image each month and getting a #1 that looks interesting (and hopefully becomes a huge blockbuster tv show or whatever)

This last months was Sidekick by JMS and I have to say I really enjoyed it.

Kind of reminds me of The Boys which I liked so it might not be for everyone.

Also Avengers Arena is still amazing.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Finished The Sandman vol. 10 "The Wake." A little sad it's over, but dang if that last story with Bill S. wasn't one of the best of the series (as was the other story, vol. 3 I believe). Too hard to not read Gaiman as Bill (as I'm sure it was intended).

I'm excited for the new series, but I think it will feel a little hollow.
    I finally read Knights of the Dinner Table 200. All is not good Muncie, and there is a storm brewing with the Knights.
  • Caught up on Lazarus, Life with Archie (so what?) and read the first volume of Peter Panzerfaust.
  • I started reading Creepy Presents Steve Ditko and am in deep love with the book. Not just a collection of Ditko's little known work right after he left Spider-Man, but a beautiful collection in a classy package. Just a joy to read.

I also finally read Will Eisner's "Fagin the Jew", his revision of the racist character in Dickens's Oliver Twist...a rich work that has been rethinking my opinion of Dickens.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I just finished the first trade of the new Guardians of the Galaxy, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    luke52 said:

I just finished the first trade of the new Guardians of the Galaxy, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Hey, so did I! Nice.
  • Read the latest issues of Uncanny x-men. More Frazer Irving on art please Marvel!
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I really had a good DCBS box this month. And I am reading a LOT of x-men these days. thats a big deal becasue i originally dropped off around uncanny #350. I've been out of the x-verse for a minute. All New X-Men(I recant every bad thing I ever said about Bendis...almost), Uncanny X-Men, Battle of the Atom (3 Beasts?! IN), Uncanny Avengers, Avengers (Hickman is nailing it, I'm Loving the White Event stuff), Saga, Secret (why is no one talking about this comic? oh! its a secret), Lazerus (Rucka is setting up a solid slow burn novelistic approach that i like), Uncanny (super powered crime comic...I think) Daredevil (solid Waid goodness)
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Battle of the Atom, across all the titles involved, has been excellent.
    What issue is Lazarus on? Looking forward to getting the first trade when it comes out. Buffy season 9 ended well, looks like they have a good plan for the next season.

The new Star Wars is still going good, I expected to get burned out by it but not yet.

Still quite a few goodies in my DCBS box that I am hoping brings me back to talk about later.
    Krescan said:

What issue is Lazarus on? Looking forward to getting the first trade when it comes out. Buffy season 9 ended well, looks like they have a good plan for the next season.

The new Star Wars is still going good, I expected to get burned out by it but not yet.

Still quite a few goodies in my DCBS box that I am hoping brings me back to talk about later.

I've got the first 3 issues of Lazarus and I'm digging it a lot. It'll be a great trade.
    I guess that didn't answer your question. I think issue 4 comes out in October.
    Superior Foes of Spider-Man continues to be a great read with #4. Love the dynamics between the gang, and Boomerang's new love interest seems really cool. I don't know how it's doing nationwide, but according to my LCS owner it's building a pretty decent following among his customers, so that's nice to hear.

Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time #9 was a decent read, too, and especially exciting because my theory for who the Doctor's hooded adversary was turned out to be totally correct! The art was good in this one, too... it wasn't someone I was familar with (wonder if he was someone who had drawn stories in Doctor Who Magazine, though, as some of the previous artists like John Ridgway or Roger Langridge had). I thought I'd be bugged by the shifting art teams for each issue, but it really helps make each story feel unique to their respective Doctors' eras.