Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Official Thread (Spoiler Heavy)

So the pilot episode of "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." was an massive success in its debut episode. It reportedly drew an audience of 11.9 million viewers and garnered a 4.6 rating amongst adults 18-49 according to EW.com. Those statistics make it the highest-rated TV drama premiere in nearly four years.

What were your thoughts on the new show from Marvel/Disney and Josh Whedon?

Comments

• Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I thought it was OK. I thought it was a bit clunky and the humor was very cheesy at times. There was still a lot to like here and I'm looking forward to what we get beyoned the pilot.
  • I have been a Marvel zombie my whole life, so will be watching. But I honestly did not find the premiere to be anything special. Nothing really grabbed me. It was a ratings smash based on the success of Marvel's cinematic universe, but expect these numbers to drop unless they come up with some engaging plot lines.

This is all just my opinion of course. Hoping to see some positive reactions from others.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Liked:
    Coulson's return and the mystery behind it.
    The return of Shepherd Book, even if it was a cameo.
    Fitz & Simmons - they're going to be the "fun" part of this series

Hated:
    Skye - annoying Wesley Crusherish character I'm hoping everyone will fall in love with so Whedon will speed up the "kill her" process

Ambivalent toward:
    Everything else

Will watch again, but not overly enthusiastic about.
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

So the pilot episode of "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." was an massive success in its debut episode. It reportedly drew an audience of 11.9 million viewers and garnered a 4.6 rating amongst adults 18-49 according to EW.com. Those statistics make it the highest-rated TV drama premiere in nearly four years.

What were your thoughts on the new show from Marvel/Disney and Josh Whedon?

"And she got into her car and flew away."

I want more easter eggs. And, not just mentioning things like "extremis" (sp). I want some of the Marvel Street level heroes to make an appearance. I want S.H.I.E.L.D. to consult with Heroes for Hire. I wanted the focus of the manhunt to be Luke Cage. I want to see Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, or Jeremy Renner to walk through the room. They don't have to be in costume or say a word.
  • I liked it. I'm sure there will be opportunities for tie in stories leading up to the Ultron movie.
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I liked it quite a bit. Coulson made the show. I hope they don't seriously try to use the "faked his death to inspire" explanation for his return. That's just awful. Gotta be an LMD.
    I hope they keep with the references and easter eggs. I was glad they went as far as they did and would've been disappointed had they only made a passing reference or two.
    I liked the male lead more than expected. happy to see agent hill was included as expected and hope she continues to appear (even though she doesn't blow me away). didn't care for the skye character too much either, kindve cliché and hammy. liked the two tech geeks. hope they get more to do and say. didn't care for the Asian lady character. seemed an unnecessary and bland character with nothing really to offer (and ive never liked that actress personally).
    The flying car was a great nod but wonder how well it will work before looking silly if they show it more often.
    If they have some cameos (sam Jackson being the most obvious and likely) then itll really be a cool show. I hope we get some known marvel characters to appear now and there too.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I liked it quite a bit.

Laughed out loud at least three times, with a whole series of follow-up chuckles at Coulson's "dark corner" comments.

Loved the way the hospital scene turned around.

Will be disappointed if J. August Richards' character doesn't reappear by mid-season.

Seriously hope Ron Glass is at least a semi-regular. (Whooped when he showed up).

Interrogation scene cracked me up.

Loved references to "The Battle of New York."

I'm in.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    This will be a show I watch in reruns or Netflix. The pilot confirmed a lot of what I thought this was going to be. I found the 2 science people & Skye to be both ignoring & cliche. I predict Coulson did die, but his mind (or a variation) was implanted into an android (Vision?) or LMD body. Maybe even a clone.

And should they really have the SHIELD logo on everything? How about keeping things under wraps?!

M
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Matt said:

And should they really have the SHIELD logo on everything? How about keeping things under wraps?!

M

Yeah, that was pretty silly.

• It was ok. I wasn't blown away by it. I try to watch every broadcast series premiere every year and there have definitely been shows I liked more that I decided not to watch. But I'll give it another episode or 2 and see if there is a hook for me to stay beyond the fact that it's part of the marvel cinematic universe
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Matt said:

M

Yeah, that was pretty silly.

Totally thought so too. That scene where they all pulled up in the overly marked SUVs made me chuckle and scratch my head. They're all plain clothed and ain't they supposed to be super secret / virtually unknown to the general public?
  • I enjoyed it gives me another geek oriented show to watch. I got Arrow, Person of Interest (I pretend he's Batman), Blacklist (he's going to be Ultron) and now this. I am along for the Coulson ride. I thought because the heroes were out that they were going to be out maybe?

I really liked the Paris scene it was nice and super-agenty action.

Still have some issues with two quirky scientist. Fitz and Simmons! Yuk yuk!
    Didn't like Extremis plot since I wasn't crazy for Iron Man 3. But hey first Marvel show since the Incredible Hulk I'm along for the ride!
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    With the recent Disneydeal, I expect Netflix will get this show in 6 months so I'm not goin to rush home for an episode anytime soon, but I agree with @matchkitJOHN that this is the first Marvel show on television since the Incredible Hulk so I am inclined to rally around it.

I also concur with many of my fellow CGS geeks that having the SHIELD logo on the vehicles seemed unnecessary and even a bit ridiculous.

I give it a high borrow
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    ARROW shows more muscle ;)
    Matt said:

The wraps came off at The Battle of New York.

Part of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s mission in the New World is to let the public know somebody's taking care of things.
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Part of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s mission in the New World is to let the public know somebody's taking care of things.
    So no more cloaking on the Helicarrier? Will we see Fury give press conferences?

Coulson said the Rising Tide was trying to bring them (SHIELD) out. Why if they're "letting the public know."

M
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

So no more cloaking on the Helicarrier? Will we see Fury give press conferences?

Coulson said the Rising Tide was trying to bring them (SHIELD) out. Why if they're "letting the public know."

M
    They're playing an edge game.

Being seen doing things, but not holding press conferences and explaining details.

Like I said, letting the public know somebody is taking care of things.

Of course they'll cloak the helicarrier. Gotta keep as many aces up their sleeves as will fit. But the world knows there's bad stuff out there. And they need to see that humans are handling it, not just Gods & Monsters.
    Coulson is a friendlier, more reassuring public face for S.H.I.E.L.D. than Fury.

Fury would scare the crap out of the public.

Coulson gives everyone warm fuzzies.

(Until they learn he's an LMD.)
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

Being seen doing things, but not holding press conferences and explaining details.

Of course they'll cloak the helicarrier. Gotta keep as many aces up their sleeves as will fit. But the world knows there's bad stuff out there. And they need to see that humans are handling it, not just Gods & Monsters.
    The FBI is publicly known, but I've never worked with them where their name/logo was shellacked all over the vehicles & equipment.

Incidentally, that's one of my issues with the 60s Batman series.

M
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

The FBI is publicly known, but I've never worked with them where their name/logo was shellacked all over the vehicles & equipment.

M
    You gotta learn to suspend some disbelief. The FBI doesn't fight extraterrestrial, science fiction-y menaces.

I prefer to find ways to plug logic holes and go on and enjoy something like SHIELD, and the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which I find at its core to be fun, optimistic and filled with a love of the genre.

I much prefer this approach to projects like the Dark Knight Trilogy/Man of Steel and the New 52, which are at their core gloomy, cynical and somehow ashamed of/embarrassed by the genre.
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Matt said:

M

The FBI had their logo all over the 60s Batman series?
  • If I had to describe the show in one word, it'd be flat.
    edited September 2013
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

M
    You gotta learn to suspend some disbelief. The FBI doesn't fight extraterrestrial, science fiction-y menaces.

I prefer to find ways to plug logic holes and go on and enjoy something like SHIELD, and the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which I find at its core to be fun, optimistic and filled with a love of the genre.

I much prefer this approach to projects like the Dark Knight Trilogy/Man of Steel and the New 52, which are at their core gloomy, cynical and somehow ashamed of/embarrassed by the genre.
    Wow, I didn't get that from Dark Knight trilogy or its Man of Steel spin off. Did Smallville & Arrow suffer the same critique?

I don't see Nolan's vision placing Batman in a real world setting. He's one of the few characters you could do that with & make it buyable. The setting fits what the character is. I don't think placing characters in a serious, near real world setting pisses on the genre. I actually think it enhances it.

I'd question how much Marvel doesn't shy away from itself. Cap's uniform will be changed yet again in WS (which will be Cap in a political thriller), Falcon's costume will be greatly altered, & Barton has been called "Hawkeye" once in 2 movies & doesn't have a mask/cowl.

M
    edited September 2013
    Is that a dislike or is that a disagree with my opinion? Why? Keep the conversation going!

I can't be the only one tired of people hiding behind the feedback icons. Most of us on the forum don't bite if we get a difference of opinion. It contributes to the conversation. Don't be afraid.

M
  • KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I was shaking by the end of this I enjoyed it so much.

It was like they showed Whedon the first season of Heroes, said hey think you could make that a Marvel TV show? He said "I'm batman" (he says weird things) and then came up with this.

This is the perfect formula for a Whedon show. Everybody's got their back stories and secret plot twists to develop, only this time we might get more than 14 episodes to actually find out what they are.

Great to have Gunn and Book in the show, hope there's many more (how I met your mother is on it's last season and you've already got one cast member, just saying)

I watched it on the ABC app since I had some DVR issues Tuesday and I probably would have turned it off before the credits if I realized, luckily I didn't and got to see Mutant Enemy grrrr and arggh his way across the screen. I think I fist pumped.

As Billy Bob would say I give it a 10.....a 10
    Matt said:

I'd question how much Marvel doesn't shy away from itself. Cap's uniform will be changed yet again in WS (which will be Cap in a political thriller), Falcon's costume will be greatly altered, & Barton has been called "Hawkeye" once in 2 movies & doesn't have a mask/cowl.

To me, that's all surface stuff.

The MCU characters may not always look like they do in the comics, but they feel right to me.

The Nolanverse and New52 characters don't feel like the characters I knew and loved.
    Matt said:

Is that a dislike or is that a disagree with my opinion? Why? Keep the conversation going!

I can't be the only one tired of people hiding behind the feedback icons. Most of us on the forum don't bite if we get a difference of opinion. It contributes to the conversation. Don't be afraid.

M

I always just figure at least somebody read what I said and reacted to it.

Why should I care if they don't "like" it! *

*Only sorta fishing for "dislikes"
  • KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    edited September 2013
    Matt said:

M

Cap and Iron Man's uniforms are going to be dictated by toy sales, which mean new ones every time, I'm shocked that Thor doesn't have something drastically different.

They tried to do the same with Batman they just got a different shade of black though

I would like Hawkeye to wear the mask but Ultimate Hawkeye doesn't wear a mask.

edited September 2013
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

I always just figure at least somebody read what I said and reacted to it.

Why should I care if they don't "like" it! *

*Only sorta fishing for "dislikes"
    The first bit is to imply when to disagree with an opinion vs dislike a fact. I never mind if someone disagrees with my opinion (like someone not feeling like Batman belongs in a crime thriller like TDK or stop terrorists like in BB & TDKR). I just like to know why so we can have a discussion. My wife & I don't always agree, but we talk about why we don't. If she always agreed with me or never discuss why she doesn't our marriage would be boring.

How boring would the forums be if each thread had 1 or 2 posts with 20 people using the feedback icons without contributing anything to the discussion?

M
    Krescan said:

Cap and Iron Man's uniforms are going to be dictated by toy sales, which mean new ones every time,

I wasn't even thinking about that.

As long as the toy sales subsidize the movies, let 'em go nuts!