Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1433 Talkback: Off the Racks: Molly Danger

Our first 'Post-Pants' episode is an old-fashioned CGS group discussion of Jamal Igle's Molly Danger OGN, plus recent X-Men titles, The Halloween Legion from Dark Horse, and whatever else we've been reading. Featuring the return of CGS Founding Father Bryan Deemer! (1:09:23)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Great job, Jamie for your first foray at the master control panel!
    Personally, I'm glad to see the CGS crew dive back into the essence of what made you great in the first place - discussing all things comics. It is a particular treat to have Mister CGS himself (Bryan Deemer) on this episode.

Appreciate the heads up regarding Lou Scheimer - had missed that news. Since I'm slightly older than Jamie D., my first experience with Filmation was the premiere of The NEW Adventures of Superman (Sept., 1966). It was this series that launched Filmation as an animation studio - the series was quite a success and enabled them to garner more work; the rest is history.

I have an inquiry regarding Molly Danger (love that title) -- I live in the fly-over states and LCS are not readily available. Can I get a copy of Molly Danger digitally through Comixology?
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited October 2013
    I have been away from the X-books for a while (unless you count Cornell/Alan Davis Wolverine) anyway I really enjoyed the X-Men Second Coming event a great deal. So is it better than X-Men: Second Coming in terms of how a crossover is done? Thanks!

Matthew

PS
    The OGN/Graphic Novel format be it Blacksad or Superman Earth One is great as long as something comes out in a reasonable timeframe (18 months to 2 years) I'm fine w/ that. However, what I'm not find w/ is a monthly comic book doing a story arc & is on & then off again like Superman Last Son or Wolverine: Old Man Logan. If it is monthly comic then better be monthly. On another note, I love MouseGuard but I couldn't wait for the delays between issues because it takes too dang long so I buy the HC when it is all finished.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Hmm. It isn't showing up on my iPhone podcast player queue yet, but I'm sure it will soon. Looking forward to some fresh geek speed - thanks guys!
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    @Commander_Salamander, You can get the first two parts of Molly Danger on Comixology for 0.99 each. Both parts are guided view, and simply stunning.

If you want a hard copy, you also can order direct from us if you are so inclined.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Podcast is available now on my idevice. Look forward to listening tonight.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Re: Lou Scheimer, it should be noted that Scheimer and Filmation were the last hold-out of the big American animation studios to ship out animation work overseas. They took a lot of short-cuts in their cartoons—stock footage, sound f/x library, etc.—so they could afford to pay their American animators. Also, Filmation’s Ghostbusters came out before the Ghostbusters movie, so they were not a rip-off in this case. And as I mentioned in the Lou Scheimer thread, there was one year in the late ’70s where every show on CBS’ Saturday morning line-up was produced by Filmation.

Re: the name Austin Briggs in Molly Danger, there was an artist by the name of Austin Briggs who was most famous for taking over Flash Gordon from Alex Raymond. He also drew the Secret Agent X-9 strip before Al Williamson took it over. I don't know if Jamal named his character after the artist, but I wouldn't be surprised.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Pants leaves and already so many changes! Off the RackS? :p
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    Peter said:

HEY....I dare you to come back and do better :D
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    JamieD said:

Peter said:

HEY....I dare you to come back and do better :D

• Options
    @kfreeman
    Thank you for the info! For the last couple of years, I buy almost exclusively digital, so that works perfectly.

• Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    WHOAH!

Murd got real angry when you guys didn't let him give his opinion!

=)
  • Options

When your pants are gone, your Peter makes an appearance.

WINNER!

great show guys and excellent work @JamieD

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    This felt awesomely old school. Good job running the show, @JamieD, and it was great to hear Bryan back. I've missed his very definite opinions on things (there doesn't seem to be much gray space in Deemer Country :D ).

As for specific topics...

Lou Scheimer was all kinds of awesome. Not only did the man know how to stretch a dollar (I've read that the reason he was a voice on so many of his own cartoons was to save from hiring another actor), but he helped bring into the world so many of my favorite cartoons from my childhood (whether they were first run as I was watching them or the many, many reruns I saw through the years). True, they weren't all gems (the less said about their take on Tom & Jerry the better, and everything I've ever seen about the Groovie Ghoulies/Looney Tunes crossover makes it sound so bizarre it deserves to be studied), but even the weird ones have their charms (I actually kinda like The Brady Kids, particularly that Superman episode).

I haven't seen Beware the Batman so I can't speak as to its merits, but I'm not surprised CN is trying to torpedo it. They don't have a good record with DC cartoons at all. Why greenlight these shows in the first place if you're just going to go to such great lengths not to show them?

As for Art & Franco comics, my son also digs Tiny Titans and Superman Family Adventures and likewise has no interest in Itty Bitty Hellboy. Way too far outside his comfort/familiarity zone, I expect. He has shown some interest in Aw Yeah Comics, though, because cat and bug superheroes are just a fun-sounding idea, I think.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I can't believe you all forgot this offering from Filmation.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loAzAiDkIhA
  • Options
    I wouldn't say forgot, I was looking for the vast more obscure ones I have watched.

In the book we were looking through, I was scrambling hoping to find a list.
  • Options
    Great episode Jamie! Good job, and I'm happy that you're able to rely on the team for assists! Remember Doc Ock Spidey's recent revelation that he should have allowed his Sinister Six team members to contribute more and at a higher level. Play it like a team captain and you can have the greatest producer-ship ever! Good for you!
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

I wouldn't say forgot, I was looking for the vast more obscure ones I have watched.

A checklist of sorts would have been nice, but I had to cut 7,000 words from the book as it was so we could hit the page count.
  • Options

A checklist of sorts would have been nice, but I had to cut 7,000 words from the book as it was so we could hit the page count.
    Wow! I think that just means it will be ripe for a special edition down the road. :)

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    If I remember correctly Lou insisted on the animation coming out of Filmation be 100% made in America. Masters of the Universe was the last animated series with no art farmed out to other countries.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I too grew up on Filmation great memories.

As far as Beware the Batman getting pulled, maybe it's ratings aren't that good.
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else - it was reassuring to get such a great podcast right after Pants' departure. He's still gonna be missed, but it's clear that CGS is still thriving. :)
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    Another great ep fellas. CGS keeps going strong.
    mguy1977 said:

I have been away from the X-books for a while (unless you count Cornell/Alan Davis Wolverine) anyway I really enjoyed the X-Men Second Coming event a great deal. So is it better than X-Men: Second Coming in terms of how a crossover is done? Thanks!

Matthew

I would say yes. But it does hinge on the fact that I really like time travel stories. If your head hurts from timeline wonkiness this may not be for you.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    My first Post-Pants episode in my catch-up phase! Nice to hear the Deemer online! Filmation: interesting look back. Does anybody know the name of the Batman cartoon (I think it must've been BEFORE the clip posted above, I don't remember Bat-mite being in it!) that has Batman driving the Batmobile and changing gears a lot during the credits??? My father would drop whatever he was doing and run into the living room just to listen to that! He was really into cars... Anyway, I figure it was done by Filmation. Molly Danger: sounds interesting, but I still haven't picked it up. // X-Men Crossover: Battle of the Atom: Yeah, I think it was extremely well-written, but I think in one of the issues the dialogue was a little off, perhaps a bit too Bendis-y? (A serious-minded character saying something funny). Justice League books: I haven't read them yet...All right, that's it for me. Good job, Jamie!
  • Options
    alienal said:

Does anybody know the name of the Batman cartoon (I think it must've been BEFORE the clip posted above, I don't remember Bat-mite being in it!) that has Batman driving the Batmobile and changing gears a lot during the credits??? My father would drop whatever he was doing and run into the living room just to listen to that! He was really into cars... Anyway, I figure it was done by Filmation.

It was, in fact, by Filmation. My recollection was that it was simply Batman, but I also recall it being melded with Tarzan in something like The Batman-Tarzan Hour. I seldom watched it, though, so my info, like my recollection, may be fuzzy.
  • Options

alienal said:

Does anybody know the name of the Batman cartoon (I think it must've been BEFORE the clip posted above, I don't remember Bat-mite being in it!) that has Batman driving the Batmobile and changing gears a lot during the credits??? My father would drop whatever he was doing and run into the living room just to listen to that! He was really into cars... Anyway, I figure it was done by Filmation.

It was, in fact, by Filmation. My recollection was that it was simply Batman, but I also recall it being melded with Tarzan in something like The Batman-Tarzan Hour. I seldom watched it, though, so my info, like my recollection, may be fuzzy.
    Filmation’s first Batman series (1968) was called simply Batman. Their second Batman series (1977) was called The New Adventures of Batman, which in its second season became part of The Batman/Tarzan Hour. It then became part of the Tarzan and the Super 7 block, and in its final season was part of the Batman and the Super 7 block, but there were no new Batman segments in either of those two packages.