Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comments

• PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Now that's some forward thinking there. I have to imagine it keeps costs low, production can move faster, you don't have to pander to TV execs - and it gets IP and content out there. The potential is great. Looking forward to seeing the outcome now.
  • I've got mixed feelings on that. I have Netflix, but I don't stream -- I get the DVDs. So if they're not available on DVD, then it's inaccessible to me. My experiences with streaming are very much hit and miss, to the point where I'm not willing to sit and watch my laptop buffer for several minutes at a time. And my 'puters are not hooked up to the TV, so I'd be forced to watch it on a tiny screen instead of the big tube. (No, upgrading is not financially feasible at this time.) So... unless it's on DVD, it's a miss for me.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    @Chuck_Melville: Netflix's House of Cards came out on DVD. Odds are that this will as well.
    Groovy.

With any luck we'll get to hear the immortal line, "Where's my money, honey?"
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Now THAT is some Marvel TV I will watch. I love that it is Netflix instead of a broadcast network. As with cable, a smaller audience (and one that has paid their way in past a barrier to entry) is considered to be a smarter than the broadcast audience. And the people who make content for them simply take more risks and do less talking down to them. Also, given that the whole point of Netflix originals is to be serial viewing that you want to binge on, you don't have to worry about lots of episodes that keep trying to sell new viewers on the premise. Or do 'alien artifact of the week'. Because people start their Netflix series at the beginning and, if they like them, they watch them all. That kind of commitment from an audience leads show creators to do more with what they've got.

And that they are using this group of characters to build a Marvel TV Universe. Great announcement.
  • KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Yeah if it looks like for a second they'll be able to release these and make more money off a DVD they're going to

which is good cause I don't have internet at the house

though I am a little concerned about my prediction of Daredevil to be in the season finale of Shield now
  • PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    and.... WB falling further behind
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Characters are good and the street level heroes lend themselves to TV, the concept is good my only concern will be the execution and I feel better about that on Netflix than I would on a traditional broadcast network. I'm happily optimistic.
  • WetRats said:

@Chuck_Melville: Netflix's House of Cards came out on DVD. Odds are that this will as well.

If they do that, then I'm in.

Apart from that, my only complaint is more of a nitpick -- considering that these characters are really more Avengers than Defenders -- but then again, these days, who isn't? -- I'm a bit disappointed they didn't go with the real Defenders: Dr Strange, Sub-Mariner, Hulk and Valkyrie. Still, I'm not so disappointed that I wouldn't check it out.
  • PeterPeter Posts: 470
    The amount of times I read a Chuck Melville post that contains "i'm disappointed that...", you'd think by now it would sink in that it's not them, it's you. It's called the new 52. It's called Marvel Now. It's not called Chuck Melville's longboxes of older comics.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457

WetRats said:

If they do that, then I'm in.

Apart from that, my only complaint is more of a nitpick -- considering that these characters are really more Avengers than Defenders -- but then again, these days, who isn't? -- I'm a bit disappointed they didn't go with the real Defenders: Dr Strange, Sub-Mariner, Hulk and Valkyrie. Still, I'm not so disappointed that I wouldn't check it out.
    Aren't the REAL Defenders actually Doc Strange, Namor, Hulk, & Silver Surfer?

I'd like to see them build toward a Heroes for Hire mini-series instead of Defenders, but that's a minor nitpick.

M
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

I've got mixed feelings on that. I have Netflix, but I don't stream -- I get the DVDs. So if they're not available on DVD, then it's inaccessible to me. My experiences with streaming are very much hit and miss, to the point where I'm not willing to sit and watch my laptop buffer for several minutes at a time. And my 'puters are not hooked up to the TV, so I'd be forced to watch it on a tiny screen instead of the big tube. (No, upgrading is not financially feasible at this time.) So... unless it's on DVD, it's a miss for me.

I don't have Netflix either. I'll watch it through other means.
  • KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    You're not going to get that on Netflix you probably don't get the Hulk without movie money behind it and if you do it's Lou Ferrigno painted green again. Which while was awesome back in the day would look silly compared to what we have now.

Same goes for Strange, Namor and Surfer, the street level characters are the ones that could really take off in popularity because they'll be more available to viewing instead of a movie every two or three years.

They probably should name them Heroes for Hire but Defenders sounds cooler.

My question is shouldn't the Luke Cage and Jessica Jones shows be combined into one? Admittedly I'm not very familiar with Jessica pre Bendis' avengers run (and not counting the girl I took to prom with the same name) Just seems like their stories would run together....unless they told the same story from two different perspectives which could be cool.
  • GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    Krescan said:

You're not going to get that on Netflix you probably don't get the Hulk without movie money behind it and if you do it's Lou Ferrigno painted green again.

House of Cards reportedly had a $50m budget for its first season, that's not exactly chump change. Whilst you're not going to get ILM quality effects I do think there's scope for this to be more than a tin of green paint.

• Peter said:

The amount of times I read a Chuck Melville post that contains "i'm disappointed that...", you'd think by now it would sink in that it's not them, it's you. It's called the new 52. It's called Marvel Now. It's not called Chuck Melville's longboxes of older comics.

And that should somehow lessen my disappointment!?

I've already said it was something I could live with.

Although I agree with @Matt 's suggestion that it would be better off being called Heroes For Hire, which seems more apropos. I think the problem is really one of misbranding.

Which won't keep me from checking it out.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Peter said:

And that should somehow lessen my disappointment!?

I've already said it was something I could live with.

Although I agree with @Matt 's suggestion that it would be better off being called Heroes For Hire, which seems more apropos. I think the problem is really one of misbranding.

Which won't keep me from checking it out.
    That's interesting. Ultimately, Marvel wants these to be the gateway drug to the comics. I've never thought of THIS angle before, but which comics?

Arguable, these characters are more associated with HfH then Defenders. If a new reader wanted to pick up the HfH source material, they'd be back issues...which Marvel can't make money on. Sure they could release Essentials or trades, but the REAL money would've come from the original issues.

SO, if they go with Defenders, new readers can pick up a new title, which would mirror the Netflix series. This title would be current, so Marvel can profit off it.

It makes perfect sense. That's why the source material is mirroring the movies.

M
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm in. No big surprise there, but I'm *happy* to be in because I've loved Netflix pretty much from day one, and I love how the company has evolved over the years (anyone remember the hiccups they've had over their relatively short history?)...what a great move for them, for Marvel, and for us as fans.

And yes...better see a "Where's my money, honey?" outta Power Man! :)
  • playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited November 2013
    This is the best news I've heard in a long while. Super excited to see how this plays out. As for the whole Heroes for Hire issue... I get that it's Luke Cage and Iron Fist, but if daredevil and Jessica jones are going to be in the mix and it's going to be a miniseries event that ties the different story lines together, do you really want the epic culmination of seasons of television
    tied down to the concept of hiring heroes? It just feels flat. If iron fist and LC were to combine series into H4H and then that led into Defenders, that's something i'd be for. But you want something epic as your finale. And let's face it, if "avengers" wasn't a brand, any of the last 2 or three of Luke Cage's avenger teams were much more like the defenders of old than any of the teams to bare the name recently.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    So is THIS the "Disneyfication of Marvel" that everyone was so worried about a few years ago? :D

Exciting news, and I know so many people who don't read comics but still love the Marvel productions in other media, and they will eat this up with a spoon. And this is a well-chosen group of characters, too... recognizable to longtime fans, lots of potential to appeal to people who aren't, and relatively easy to do on TV budgets. Looking forward to all of this already.
  • spidspid Posts: 203
    I do not have Netflix, but this is something that might push me to subscribe for a month at least. My only qualm is once you put it on Netflix you sort of cap the ceiling on where these characters can go. Would I want really kick ass martial arts movie for Iron Fist or a couple of so so (in terms of action) television show.

It works for Daredevil due to the film's bad reputation, I still liked that movie. One thing I do like about this move is you can have characters guest star in Agents of Shield then have them spin off into their own miniseries.
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    This is awesome.
    My experience with Netflix "exclusive" content has been top notch and if they can put these characters into something of similar quality, I will be a happy, happy True Believer.
    I can totally see these four series dovetailing into one another, and the choice of characters is perfect. "Defenders"? Not my Defenders (Heroes for Hire would be better)... but I'm not gonna quibble.
  • Matt said:

Arguable, these characters are more associated with HfH then Defenders. If a new reader wanted to pick up the HfH source material, they'd be back issues...which Marvel can't make money on. Sure they could release Essentials or trades, but the REAL money would've come from the original issues.

SO, if they go with Defenders, new readers can pick up a new title, which would mirror the Netflix series. This title would be current, so Marvel can profit off it.

It makes perfect sense. That's why the source material is mirroring the movies.

M

No reason they couldn't put together a new HFH title to coincide with the series, especially as now there isn't a Defenders title being published either. Of course, that would kind of screw up the new Mighty Avengers line-up...

Come to think of it, wasn't Cage actually running a new HFH group just before Infinity got under way?
  • MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    Where do Netflix shows appear on the scale from network TV ---> HBO, in terms of adult situations/language/violence etc? In other words would this be the A-Team or The Sopranos?
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Sweet Christmas!
    edited November 2013
    Marathon said:

Where do Netflix shows appear on the scale from network TV ---> HBO, in terms of adult situations/language/violence etc? In other words would this be the A-Team or The Sopranos?

More on the HBO side of things.

Of course, this is still Disney, so I'd expect no more than PG-13.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Great news! Terrible news for my ever growing, bloated Netflix queue.