Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

This discussion was created from comments split from: Marvel's Star Wars.

Comments

• GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    From StarWars.com

STAR WARS: EPISODE VII TO OPEN DECEMBER 18, 2015
    November 07, 2013
    With pre-production in full-swing, a confirmed release date of December 18, 2015, has been set for Lucasfilm's highly anticipated Star Wars: Episode VII.

"We're very excited to share the official 2015 release date for Star Wars: Episode VII, where it will not only anchor the popular holiday filmgoing season but also ensure our extraordinary filmmaking team has the time needed to deliver a sensational picture," said Alan Horn, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios.

Star Wars: Episode VII will be directed by J.J. Abrams (Super 8, Mission: Impossible III, Star Trek) and is being scripted by Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan (Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi). Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, with Tommy Harper (Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Jack Ryan, Star Trek Into Darkness) and Jason McGatlin (Tintin, War of the Worlds) serving as executive producers. John Williams is returning to score Star Wars: Episode VII.

Shooting is scheduled to begin spring 2014 at Pinewood Studios.

StarWars.com. All Star Wars, all the time.

CATEGORIES:
    Episode VII Movies Lucasfilm

• December?

Really?

Weird.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited November 2013
    I won't be camping out in line this go around. Minnesota winters aren't conducive to such geeky behavior.
  • Mr_Cosmic said:

I won't be camping out in line this go around. Minnesota winters aren't conducive to such geeky behavior.

You can do it at the Mall Of America. They keep it nice and toasty warm all winter.

• Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Mr_Cosmic said:

You can do it at the Mall Of America. They keep it nice and toasty warm all winter.

True, although for an iron ranger that's a long haul to go see a movie...even for Star Wars.

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

December?

Really?

Weird.

I wonder if they didn't think they could be done in time for summer '15?

Either that, or this shows a shift in targeting: that Disney Star Wars doesn't want to try to compete with "cooler", PG-13 fare like Avengers 2 and Superman/Batman in the summer.

I bet the new Star Wars movies return to a PG, and basically get aimed at the family audience the same way that Pixar movies tend to be. So, with that in mind, a December release makes more sense.
  • I have read that Disney wants the movie out in 2015, but it's a break with the "Memorial Day Weekend" tradition. And you DON'T want Star Wars fans upset when it comes to tradition.

I am VERY happy they've brought in Kasden (sp?) for the script, as Empire was BY FAR the best of the Star Wars movies.
  • Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457

... And you DON'T want Star Wars fans upset when it comes to tradition.

Fans are going to have to cope with breaks in tradition. Now that Disney owns this property, there' won't be the traditional 20th Century Fox fanfare intro. that we're all accustomed to.
  • There were rumors a couple weeks ago that Kennedy, and maybe Abrams, wanted to push it to 2016. I think this was a compromise. I think I said this before this announcement in the other thread. Should we amalgamate?
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    David_D said:

December?

Really?

Weird.

I wonder if they didn't think they could be done in time for summer '15?

Either that, or this shows a shift in targeting: that Disney Star Wars doesn't want to try to compete with "cooler", PG-13 fare like Avengers 2 and Superman/Batman in the summer.

I bet the new Star Wars movies return to a PG, and basically get aimed at the family audience the same way that Pixar movies tend to be. So, with that in mind, a December release makes more sense.
    If there is 1 single frame that seems to feature a JarJar Blinks or Transformers 2-"The Twins" character I'm boycotting the new movies! I CAN'T deal with that again...again.

M
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    David_D said:

Disney doesn't want to compete with Disney.

Summer for the Marvel Movies, Christmas for Star Wars.

Elbow room.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

Elbow room.
    That's a good point- I keep forgetting that they would be competing with themselves!
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

Elbow room.
    That's a good point- I keep forgetting that they would be competing with themselves!
    I heard a rumor Disney is replacing Mickey as their mascot with Rich "Uncle" Pennybags with mouse ears.

M
    Matt said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

Elbow room.
    I heard a rumor Disney is replacing Mickey as their mascot with Rich "Uncle" Pennybags with mouse ears.

M
    What's wrong with Uncle Scrooge?
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

Elbow room.

M
    Pantsless senior citizens have questionable characters.

M
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

M
    Enough money forgives anything.*

*Not condoning the sentiment, just stating the sad truth
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

M

Did the Kardashians tell you that?! Haha.

M
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

M

Did the Kardashians tell you that?! Haha.

M
    Paying attention to the sad, sad state of this country told me that. :((
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Millennium Falcon spacecraft built for Star Wars: Episode VII
    The legendary spacecraft adapted by Hans Solo in Return of the Jedi is set to return, prompting speculation that Harrison Ford has also signed on
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    WetRats said:

Hans Solo?

yep - the brother of Hannes Solo :))
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited January 2014
    Spoiler Alert: Rant Ahead.

Boba Fett movie? Oh brother...

Boba Fett is a character who was better served living in the shadows and having adventures play out in the novels and comic books taking place between episodes of the original trilogy. Shining a spotlight on a character that lives in the shadows is all kinds of wrong. We don't need his origin story (even though we already got most of it in Episode II)...

Patton Oswalt may have said it best:

http://youtu.be/LDCjIjsZp_Y

We barely were spared from a contrived origin of sorts of a young Han Solo in Revenge of the Sith. According to concepts in The Art of the Revenge of the Sith book it was revealed that a Han Solo cameo was planned. While on Kashyyyk, Yoda would have encountered a 10-year old Solo being raised by Chewbacca(!?!). Solo was to help Yoda figure out how to find General Grievous using a transmitter droid. (Is every kid in the Star Wars universe have to be precocious and good with gadgets? I'm thinking about the asinine origin of C3-PO here).

Thankfully Han Solo was cut from RotS --> Behold the 10-year old Han Solo

EXPAND the universe, don't rehash it. What's next, the Life and Times of Admiral Ackbar? I'd prefer a Wedge Antilles film at least. The only reason Boba Fett is "beloved" is he is mysterious and dressed cool. He died in an embarrassing way, and we've already seen him as a child. What's the point of taking a secondary, ancillary character that barely spoke and making him the center of a movie?

When it comes down to it, as giddy as many people are to see new Star Wars movies, clinging to established characters (like Boba Fett) just feels like nothing more than concern for money and safety - and nothing more. I still hope Disney and Lucasfilm will create some worthwhile stories while they're trying to make some box office bank and that somehow those stories aren't sullied by weak writing and simple greed.

Rant / Off
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318

Spoiler Alert: Rant Ahead.

Boba Fett movie? Oh brother...

Boba Fett is a character who was better served living in the shadows and having adventures play out in the novels and comic books taking place between episodes of the original trilogy. Shining a spotlight on a character that lives in the shadows is all kinds of wrong. We don't need his origin story (even though we already got most of it in Episode II)...

Patton Oswalt may have said it best:

http://youtu.be/LDCjIjsZp_Y

We barely were spared from a contrived origin of sorts of a young Han Solo in Revenge of the Sith. According to concepts in The Art of the Revenge of the Sith book it was revealed that a Han Solo cameo was planned. While on Kashyyyk, Yoda would have encountered a 10-year old Solo being raised by Chewbacca(!?!). Solo was to help Yoda figure out how to find General Grievous using a transmitter droid. (Is every kid in the Star Wars universe have to be precocious and good with gadgets? I'm thinking about the asinine origin of C3-PO here).

Thankfully Han Solo was cut from RotS --> Behold the 10-year old Han Solo

EXPAND the universe, don't rehash it. What's next, the Life and Times of Admiral Ackbar? I'd prefer a Wedge Antilles film at least. The only reason Boba Fett is "beloved" is he is mysterious and dressed cool. He died in an embarrassing way, and we've already seen him as a child. What's the point of taking a secondary, ancillary character that barely spoke and making him the center of a movie?

When it comes down to it, as giddy as many people are to see new Star Wars movies, clinging to established characters (like Boba Fett) just feels like nothing more than concern for money and safety - and nothing more. I still hope Disney and Lucasfilm will create some worthwhile stories while they're trying to make some box office bank and that somehow those stories aren't sullied by weak writing and simple greed.

Rant / Off

I get where you're coming from and if I thought this was going to be prequel level crap I would be right there with you. But a one-off bounty hunter adventure could be really cool. Boba Fett in his prime apart from the other core characters just bringing in bounty and showing the Charlie Houston side of the Star Wars universe could be fun. I'm more optimistic because Lucas is not (or less) involved.
    I've been concerned Disney will try to crank too much out. I'm concerned we'll be flood with spinoff movies that dilute the primary movies.

M
  • kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    How about a Biggs movie? It would be cool to fill in the blanks of how he got into the rebel alliance. Are they planning a Lando movie? I'd see that.
    random73 said:

http://www.newsarama.com/20021-report-star-wars-episode-vii-re-writes-shift-focus-to-original-trilogy-heroes.html

Hmmm. A last adventure for the original heros and introducing the next generation...

Wow.

This project has "clusterfuck" written all over it.

8-|
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Happy 35th birthday to me...that's not a joke. <:-P