Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What comics did you read and like this week?

Comments

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    Akira vol3 - what a great book. All the volumes I've read have been amazing to lookat. I can't recommend this series highly enough. It is hard to explain how amazing it looks

I just looked back at my review of Shaolin Cowboy and I don't think I properly explained how incredible the art is. Darrow may not be a good writer but his art is masterful. That alone has me excited for the next issue.
  • I picked up some 90's back issues while visitng GA. I enjoyed the 4 issue mini-series, Guardians of Metroplis, featuring the Guardian, the News Boy Legion, the Boy Comandos, and Cadmus. I'm not following the new 52 Superboy, but does that tittle have a revamped Cadmus, Guardian, and News Boy Legion?
  • I just read Daredevil:End of Days. I enjoyed it for the most part. I loved Bendis' run on DD in the past but sometimes he beats you over the head with the despair a little too much for my tastes. Makes me appreciate Waid's run all the more.
  • Thanks @David_D ! I've actually been a listener of CGS since the Animal Man BOMC, was also a member on the old forums, although didn't post that often.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Djameson said:

Thanks @David_D ! I've actually been a listener of CGS since the Animal Man BOMC, was also a member on the old forums, although didn't post that often.

Cool, then make that welcome back!
  • KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I read forum member @RobAnderson Rex the Zombie Killer #1 it balances cute animals with scary zombies just right. It's just fun so far.......and then I found my letter in the back so this issue might just end up on the wall.
  • Thanks, @Krescan! Glad you got a kick out of seeing your letter in there. ;)

The book I read yesterday was the Vertigo anthology "The Witching Hour." In general, I love the Vertigo anthologies, and this one was no different. Really enjoyed the story written by Ales Kot in this one....
  • Picked up and read The Wake #5 this week. This has been a great title and issue #5 was no exception. If your not reading this title, you need to be.
  • Finally bought the first volume of Revival. I really like it so far!
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

I just finished Alias by Brian Michael Bendis. I absolutely loved it!! I also read The Darkness by Phil Hester, and it was amazing!

I just read the first 6 issues of Alias the other night... I don't think I had ever read more than the first issue or two before. I really liked it, too, and will definitely be continuing onward. Better late than never!
  • ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    luke52 said:

Charles Soule is doing a great job with Swamp Thing right now. The annual from last week was really good stuff. Seeing some of the past Swamp Things was really interesting, entertaining stuff. Looking forward to getting the next book in this weeks shipment.

Yeah, I came in here to big-up the latest issue. I really liked Soule's first 3-4 issues on the title, then I thought the next couple and the Annual were just "okay". But this latest issue really did it for me, big time. Swamp Thing has become my favorite DC title.
  • Just finished Five Ghosts by Frank Barbiere and Chris Mooneyham. I think Mooneyham could become a superstar
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087

Just finished Five Ghosts by Frank Barbiere and Chris Mooneyham. I think Mooneyham could become a
    superstar

it's on my wishlist - heard/read much praise about this one
  • Just finished Five Ghosts by Frank Barbiere and Chris Mooneyham. I think Mooneyham could become a superstar

I've been thinking about picking this up. Mooneyham’s art reminds me very much of Klaus Janson’s, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

I've been thinking about picking this up. Mooneyham’s art reminds me very much of Klaus Janson’s, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.
    That's funny because the whole time i was reading it I was thinking, "Man, I hope this guy draws Daredevil one day"
  • mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    In comics as w/ life you can't go home again w/ X-Men Gold one-shot you can but you better get at a discount place or at a con cheaply. It had a variety of A+ talent from both Simonsons (w/ Stan Lee likely giving a light plot) & taking the ball and running w/ it. You have Claremont being well himself telling a story from the 80s era. There were other writers/artists I'm not as familiar w/ but touch on other eras of X-Men history. Even a story featuring Firestar (ie Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends during the early 80s heyday) & Beast also. The linking character in nearly all the stories was Kitty Pryde. I must admit at a super high retail price of 6 bucks retail (thank goodness I preordered this) it is a high bar to please many fans, I tried peeling off the digital code w/ my copy but was less than successful so if you have an X-fan that has their copy available (as a last resort) give it a read you might get a kick out of it. 4.75 stars out of 5 (I have no clue who Onslaught was).

Matthew
  • ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    The latest Animal Man was the best issue in a while. I've gone back and forth on this series: loved it, then found it boring for almost a year, then liked it again, then was underwhelmed. But the new issue all of a sudden throws Animal Man into a totally new and different situation -- and the concept works. A serious overhanging threat is introduced, and it instantly makes everything else seem all the more dire.

Of course, the series is ending in 3-4 months, so I guess editorial told Lemire "Okay, there can be big consequences now."

Still, good series.
  • Batman Odyssey. Despite all the internet hate, is a good read.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Marshal Law Deluxe Hardcover. I already had most of this in issue form but this is a really nice presentation (and more convenient and complete than the stuff from Toxic!).

Marshal Law is definitely not a book for everyone (being a dark and cynical satire), but it's way, way cool and there is so much happening in the artwork that I can look at it for hours.
  • KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I read Alex and Ada #1 and it wasn't bad, it's got an interesting look and how they got it to translate into the comic about what the future will look like, will probably give the trade of this a look.
  • spidspid Posts: 203
    So I finally caught up with my Infinity backlog, and boy was that story good. The way the book feeds from what Hickman was doing in the Avengers is really impressive. The main Avengers book seemed random at times, but to see it most of that title's build up pay off in such a fun way in Infinity was awesome. The relationship between Black Panther and Namor has got to be one of the best things going in comics. The tension between them has been so delicious.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    spid said:

So I finally caught up with my Infinity backlog, and boy was that story good. The way the book feeds from what Hickman was doing in the Avengers is really impressive. The main Avengers book seemed random at times, but to see it most of that title's build up pay off in such a fun way in Infinity was awesome. The relationship between Black Panther and Namor has got to be one of the best things going in comics. The tension between them has been so delicious.

Agreed - I feel like he really captured the feeling of it as a big war story. From the huge-scale stuff to some of the small moments. And I like that the ending felt like the ending of THIS story, without getting watered down by a bunch of epilogues to sell the next things, as we have got in the last few event stories. Good stuf.
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I "binge" read the first 2, New 52 Wonder Woman Trades. Enjoyed them so much I ran to the LCS to buy #3 to find it only available in hardback.

I didn't like it that much. I'll wait for the paperback.

The "horror" take worked perfectly. I really enjoyed the different aspects of family. Especially the introduction of the "Zeus Bastard Crew".
    There was a bit of dialogue in the second trade I'm not quite getting. Before WW fights her namesake, she removes her cuffs. Artemis chides her for doing so saying that she's removing her best defense against a god. WW answers that the cuffs were Artemis' defense not WW's. So, are the cuffs a kind of governor on WW's powers? Something to keep her from kicking all kinds of Olympian ass?
    Also, and this is a nit pick, but DC should have stuck to their guns and kept the pants.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'm slowly making my way through my DCBS box and just read The Superior Foes of Spider-Man #6. This was perhaps the funniest comic that I've read in a long time. Great art and story and you should be reading this book!
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I read the Doctor Who Annual by Paul Cornell. It was really very amazing with a great story and pretty good art. I love the story it tells and it's a book that I'll come back to.
    jaydee74 said:

I read the Doctor Who Annual by Paul Cornell. It was really very amazing with a great story and pretty good art. I love the story it tells and it's a book that I'll come back to.

Is this the book where the Dr. pops into "our" world and meets the actor that plays the Dr.?
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Yes. The 11th Doctor meets Matt Smith. It's really quite good. It's also the last Doctor Who comic to be made by IDW.
    jaydee74 said:

Yes. The 11th Doctor meets Matt Smith. It's really quite good. It's also the last Doctor Who comic to be made by IDW.

Thanks! My youngest is a huge Whovian, but not much of a comic reader. I wanted to pick this up for him.
  • mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Superman/Wonder Woman 1-3, it keeps upping the level in every issue. The villains & the relationship I care about. Soule & Daniel make a great team. I gave issues 1 & 2 a 4 rating and issue 3 a perfect 5 rating. Bring on Soule's She Hulk over at the house of ideas hoping they are still fresh.

Matthew