Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

THOR: The Dark World (Now with spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Sturgeon's Law: 90% of EVERYTHING is crap.
  • Options
    Just got back from seeing it in a sold out showing (it was discount day, though). Great popcorn/funny flick. I knew Loki was the Asgardian guard that came back from the dark world and reported to Odin... it was his smile at the end of that conversation. My two friends I was with didn't realize that.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I just got back from seeing it and I loved it. I liked seeing more of Asgard, great humor, the cameo was a hoot, and the action was awesome. Glad to see Elba and Russo get more screen time.

Mid credit scene was great but I'm not sure I like the idea of these artifacts becoming "Infinity Stones." Ah, oh well.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    I really enjoyed this as well. Couple of thoughts...

Do you think the tie in to the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will be that they have to go after the creature that was running around at the end?

Regarding Cap - Its my understanding that the actors contracts *require* them to appear in a certain number of films. They do not do these cameos just for the fun of it or because they're all one big happy family.

When Jane was at lunch with her date, her assistant came over and they both started fiddling with the handheld device, I SOOOOOO wanted Chris O'Dowd to lean over and say "Have you tried turning it....oh never mind."

Agreed with everyone who said the mid credit scene did not fit in with the film. I'd have been pissed too if I was the director.

• Options
    mrfusion said:

When Jane was at lunch with her date, her assistant came over and they both started fiddling with the handheld device, I SOOOOOO wanted Chris O'Dowd to lean over and say "Have you tried turning it....oh never mind."

YES!! That would have been awesome.

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    mrfusion said:

I really enjoyed this as well. Couple of thoughts...

Do you think the tie in to the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will be that they have to go after the creature that was running around at the end?

Regarding Cap - Its my understanding that the actors contracts *require* them to appear in a certain number of films. They do not do these cameos just for the fun of it or because they're all one big happy family.

Agreed with everyone who said the mid credit scene did not fit in with the film. I'd have been pissed too if I was the director.

I was never under the impression the cameos were a "can you work me in for a cameo? I'll do it for free." I do think its cool to see the cameos. It strengthens the notion it is 1 universe.

M
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    I saw the movie yesterday, and I thought it was a good movie with a bad villain. Or least their take on the villain was uninspired. Malekith, in the comic seems to be a bit more psychotic who is a lot more crazy. I know Thor doesn't have the greatest rogues gallery but they could have done something else with the character.

Other than that I thought all the beats were there for a really good movie if they had nailed the villain.
  • Options
    Matt said:

I was never under the impression the cameos were a "can you work me in for a cameo? I'll do it for free." I do think its cool to see the cameos. It strengthens the notion it is 1 universe.
    M

I've no doubt that sometimes actors do cameos (and work for scale) in their friends movies. But theses specific cameos are not one of those times. Its done, as you pointed out, to show its all one universe. I do wonder how they'll handle other actors taking over the roles. RDJ will most likely be the first one to split (although Terrance Howard is actually the first one in this official combined universe to be replaced - but he wasn't the main character). Will the new actor be able to make the character his/her own or will they have to act the same way the original actor played the role?
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited November 2013
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. tie-in to Thor the Dark World this week
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    mrfusion said:

Matt said:

M

I've no doubt that sometimes actors do cameos (and work for scale) in their friends movies. But theses specific cameos are not one of those times. Its done, as you pointed out, to show its all one universe. I do wonder how they'll handle other actors taking over the roles. RDJ will most likely be the first one to split (although Terrance Howard is actually the first one in this official combined universe to be replaced - but he wasn't the main character). Will the new actor be able to make the character his/her own or will they have to act the same way the original actor played the role?
    Does Edward Norton not count as a replacement? (no scarcasm that is an actual question)
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    random73 said:

mrfusion said:

Matt said:

M

Does Edward Norton not count as a replacement? (no scarcasm that is an actual question)
    I think Ang Lee's Hulk is not considered canon for lack of a better word.
  • Options
    random73 said:

mrfusion said:

Matt said:

M

Mark Ruffalo replacing Edward Norton does.
  • Options
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will tie-in to Thor the Dark World this week. Here is a spoiler free preview.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11/17/preview-this-weeks-agents-of-shield-ties-into-thor-the-dark-world/

For those that missed it :)
  • Options

You're right - I completely forgot about that. However, RDJ has played Stark/Iron Man for 4 movies now with a few more on the burner whereas Norton's film was more of a one shot. I just think that this changeover will be a bigger issue to deal with and I'm wondering how they'll handle it. They keep likening it to James Bond, so I guess as long as they keep the character sarcastic and narcissistic it'll work? Maybe?

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    blockquote>
    I think Ang Lee's Hulk is not considered canon for lack of a better word.

Oh, I don't know. The transition from The Hulk to The Incredible Hulk is a pretty soft reboot.

Thank you, thats what I was referring to.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    mrfusion said:

You're right - I completely forgot about that. However, RDJ has played Stark/Iron Man for 4 movies now with a few more on the burner whereas Norton's film was more of a one shot. I just think that this changeover will be a bigger issue to deal with and I'm wondering how they'll handle it. They keep likening it to James Bond, so I guess as long as they keep the character sarcastic and narcissistic it'll work? Maybe?

Like Hugh Jackman, I don't see RDJ being replaced a smooth transition. Each Bond actor brought something different. The next Stark can't be like RDJ's. It'll seem just like the Marvel NOW!'s version: cheap imitation. RDJ doesn't write RDJ as Stark, he just 'goes with it.' I think ANY other actor will just seem to be trying to be RDJ's version & it'll fail.

Having said that, I'm not sure how else to do the character. I recall reading someone RDJ's version was a way to make THIS billionaire playboy not seem like another Bruce Wayne with a suit of armor.

M
  • Options
    Technically, RDJ played Stark in 5 movies, yeah? Didn't he have a cameo in Incredible Hulk?
    mrfusion said:

• Options

Technically, RDJ played Stark in 5 movies, yeah? Didn't he have a cameo in Incredible Hulk?

Yep.

Hence the contract renegotiations prior to Avengers 2.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I wonder if Evans' appearance in Thor was part of his original deal, or a separate arrangement? Because I could swear I'd read somewhere that Downey mentioned that Marvel regretted using him in Hulk, because it used up one of his appearances. I'd even heard that we shouldn't expect stuff like that in the future for that very reason. Up until now, I think Hulk was the last film to feature any of the lead actors in cameos, so that seemed to be the case for a while.

That bit with Evans was a nice surprise, but hardly worth accelerating the need for a new contract.
  • Options
    Evens signed on for 9, didn't he?
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

If that's the case, then it probably was part of the original deal. Three Caps, three Avengers, three whatever...

Unless he has a bad agent who locked him down in one role at the same pay rate for the next decade or more.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

If that's the case, then it probably was part of the original deal. Three Caps, three Avengers, three whatever...

Unless he has a bad agent who locked him down in one role at the same pay rate for the next decade or more.
    I believe the contracts changed after Downey's upon realization that the MCU formula was going to work so well.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Just saw the movie. Thought it was very OK. I'll post more later, have a question though for people who might be more in the know about Thor. My only experience is the movie and the JMS trade I read a while back.

Anywho... the elve creatures. During the time, the untold millenia that they weren't active... What are we meant to believe they were doing? Were they just in hibernation for thousands and thousands of years?

And, given that Asgard has been thriving that whole time, why did the enemy seem to have abilities (like being invisible) that Asgard had trouble with? Seems to me, and my wife who brought this up to me last night, that Asgard should have advanced so far beyond them during that time.
  • Options
    Yes, and the Asgardians can beam themselves wherever they want to go with no need for spaceships...unlike the elves. So I guess they each have their unique technologies. Plus, cloaking doesn't seem to be the Asgardian way..they're more of a screaming, in your face, let you know they're attacking lot.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Yes, and the Asgardians can beam themselves wherever they want to go with no need for spaceships...unlike the elves. So I guess they each have their unique technologies. Plus, cloaking doesn't seem to be the Asgardian way..they're more of a screaming, in your face, let you know they're attacking lot.

Sure, but as my wife asked me last night, if Asgard was able to defeat them before, and Asgard has been thriving and developing for untold thousands of millenia, how are these guys who have apparently been stuck in limbo, able to compete?

My Full Review

See above for my way too long review if you're interested.

Bottom Line: 3 stars out of 5. OK movie. Grading slightly on a curve because Marvel has earned a certain pedigree. Nice effects, good action, good music. Weak villain.

The Good: Like Thor's continued maturing as a character. Liked the action and the surprising space fighter scenes. Liked Loki very much and enjoyed seeing Rene Russo kick some butt.

The Bad: I like Natalie Portman just fine, but Jane Foster seems cold. Did not really believe their relationship and also felt like the movie breezed on past some big issues. Felt like the villain was a little bit generic much like the army from Avengers, especially compared again to Loki. Thought maybe the movie had 5% too much silliness/humor.
  • Options
    BondoBondo Posts: 57
    edited November 2013
    I apologize for those who read this post earlier, but I moved it from the Episode reviewing the movie to this thread as it seems more appropriate here:

While I've been late to the party on watching the recent DC and FOX entries to the superhero movie party while they were in theatres, I don't think I've missed any of the Marvel Studios flicks in the theatre yet. It pains me greatly to think this will get thumped by my upcoming transfer, way way North where there is nary a theatre for hours.

And yes, I'm Canadian so I say "Theatre" not "Theater"

And now for my movie rant (this is becoming a habit!)

I have never read a single issue of Thor, so take that into consideration. However, before the first film came out I listened to as much CGS run-downs of Thor related materials as I could to get the "Cole's Notes" versions... similar to what I did with Captain America with Jamie's Essentials...although I had read a few floppies of Avengers, Cap and all of the original "The Ultimates".

I left the original Thor film felling it was good, but I was not very pumped about it, because it suffered from horrible, horrible plot-pacing. I did feel it introduced the important characters and told me everything I wanted to know about what was happening, but once Thor, Sif and the Warriors were on Earth, the pace went into over-drive and things were over before you knew it. Even main fight in New Mexico with the destruction of the town felt rushed. The frost giants were cool, but in the end I felt we spent too much time in Jotunheim when the plot could have been balanced a bit more, to really make me feel how low Thor had sank when he was thrown to Earth. This being said, Hemsworth sold me on the "character" of Thor, and of course Hiddelston is fantastic as Loki.

As for The Dark World. Loved it. Not because it was Marvels best film, (but it is, up there), but because they pulled off the entire "World" of Thor. I've always felt Thor was their "risky" character to try and sell, especially to a more mainstream audience. I'll go see any Marvel Movie, or rent or buy it, but I'm not the market they are gonna make their money off of, and so they really don't have to cater to us nerds and geeks. Of course they found out that the mythologies behind their characters are so rich, and have their staying power "BECAUSE" those stories work on their own without "mainstreaming" that they would be silly to just discard it in favor of a "mainstreamed" plot.
    The hard part is being able to write those stories effectively when the mythos doesn't follow standard Hollywood genres. The original Thor suffered from this slightly, but not enough to hurt it as much as, say, Green Lantern, was hurt by trying to bend its mythos to standard movie scripting.

And boy, did The Dark World accomplish this in spades for me. As I've said, I love all superhero flicks to a degree, but was not invested in Thor at all, and could have cared even less about the Dark Elves and the nine realms. But the overall story really pulled me in and sold the tapestry of the Thor mythos. I actually worried for Asgard while it was attacked. Something I would never thought this movie could pull off.

Here are some specific points I wanted to touch on:

Asgardian culture. Frigga's funeral added so much depth to every Asgardian character with that simple 3 minute scene. I felt genuine sorrow for all of them in that moment.

Loki. To be quite honest, I didn't want Loki in this movie. I felt they had him as a villain in two films already, and I wanted to see "more" from the Marvel Universe, and more from Thor's universe. I love Hiddelston's acting and think he epitomizes the character, but I didn't want him in this. Until, of course, I saw the movie. They made me get it. I understand now how integral Loki is to Thor as a person. He's the other side of the coin, and is essential, even if only by juxtaposition, to fleshing out the characterization of Thor himself.

Odin. Sir Hopkins is always brilliant, and knocks it out of the park. The only qualm I had with his character was the sudden 180 from the last movie. "Hey Thor kill them all won't ya?" Really Dad? I'm pretty sure you spent the whole last movie telling me to be wiser and to stop being a cocky little d-bag. After listening to the CGS episode on this I get it a little more that Odin is supposed to be the conquering badass, but it still didn't feel right the way he was acting in this one. But I did like his opposition to Jane Foster, that felt pretty legitimate.

I have to agree with the geeks about Sif. It would have felt so tired and unnatural for her to go all jealous-warrior-doom on Jane Foster, but she didn't. That's all I've gotta say about that.

Heimdall. The only thing I walked into this movie saying was "give Heimdall a bigger role" I can't say I was disappointed, but I'd really like him to have even more screen time in the next flick. I don't know if I can explain why. He is just sooooooo badass. And Idris Elba just leaves other actors dead and dying on the floor in the scenes he has with them.

The helmet. These movies have made me actually forget that Thor even has a helmet. I agree he should have worn it at the funeral scene, but it really doesn't bother me either way.

The collector. I don't know much about the Infinity Gauntlet. I know a little about it, and a little about Thanos. But nothing about the collector. I know of these stories what an actual citizen of the Marvel Universe might know...I know it happened, I know it was huge, I know it was interesting, but I never took the course in school (Ha!). So the mid-credits scene actually had me a little "meh" until the last line of it because I had no idea what was going on. I heard, but didn't absorb the phrase "Infinity Stones" when it was said. And then when the collector said his last line "one down..." it clicked and I actually said "OHHHH SHIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT" really...really loud. It made the whole film worth it. Even if the movie sucked I would have still reacted that way.

For once, I have to disagree with Murd (this has yet to happen....) that I personally didn't think the first Thor was better than the second. But I will say that this film MAKES the first one better. It did exactly what needed to be done, It fleshed out Thor's mythos, not just Thor himself, who in fact had a pretty small character arc, compared to almost every other character in the film.

And just a comment on the whole "the actors are forced to do it" bit. Any interview you see with these guys, They all say the same thing, that they are having a blast doing this. Now a) they are getting paid, and when their role hits big, they get paid BIG (a la Robert Downy Jr.) and b) They are under contract to do most of these spots.

HOWEVER, these roles are bigger than the pay (at least in the Marvel Movies). And a lot of these folks have kids. Sure a lot of parents are superheroes to their kids but to actually BE a superhero in a movie probably gets them high on a whole new level. Just some food for thought. Yeah they have to do it, but its probable that they also are having a pretty good time doing it too. Just remember not every actor works, and the recognition (as mentioned by @wordballoon) is priceless.

So there's my rant. I'm sure I'll think of many more things to add in the replies.

-Jason
  • Options
    I went and saw it when it came out but I'm taking the wife tonight. I'm looking forward to just ignoring the talky bits and scouring the screen for all the cool stuff I missed.
  • Options
    Not hearing any mumbling about a Thor 3 yet, but already hearing mumblings about a Captain America 3 based on the test screenings. Any insights on a Thor III?