Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Riverdale Podcast

playtapeplaytape Posts: 56
edited April 2012 in Other Comic Podcasts
Hey folks,

I recently started The Riverdale Podcast, a brief, weekly show about Archie Comics.
New episodes are released on Saturday mornings through iTunes, RSS, and The Riverdale Podcast blog. If you're into Archie, or want to be, I'd be really excited if you checked out the show.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Comments

• dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Sounds like fun. At least 3 or 4 times a year I will pick up a Archie double digest.
  • playtapeplaytape Posts: 56
    The digest line is really an unsung hero in the comics world. Who else is going to sell you a 160 page monthly comic book for 3.99? If one wanted to have a discussion about getting kids into comics, the Archie digests would not be a bad place to start that discussion.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Speaking of Archie, a local antique shop got hold of eight Archie storyboards of some kind, they haven't unpacked them yet, but they are giving me first dibs on them, will be taking a look at them this weekend.
    Woah! Are they original art pages, or storyboards from animation? I'd love to see pictures, if you are able to take some.
    The owner wasn't sure herself. She was told by the seller that they were storyboards, that tells me they are from the one of the cartoon series which is ok with me, but I wouldn't be disappointed if it turned out to be original pages. I will take some picks when I look at them.
    That's rad, thanks! Archie's run in animation was pretty lengthy, it doesn't seem out of the question that some boards still exist, if only because there were so many.
    edited April 2012
    The digest line is really an unsung hero in the comics world. Who else is going to sell you a 160 page monthly comic book for 3.99? If one wanted to have a discussion about getting kids into comics, the Archie digests would not be a bad place to start that discussion.
    Sadly most kids currently have no idea who Archie is. Few years back I had went to a con and picked up "Punisher vs Archie" comic. Was showing it to my then 9 year old cousin. And he looked at me and asked "Who is Archie?". Well the next day I was taking him to the con. I mentioned to a dealer who had 50 cent comics that my lil cousin had no idea who Archie was. The dealer dug thru his boxes found like 10 Archie comics and gave them to my cousin for free. He ended up getting hooked on the Riverdale gang and tries his best to get all teh digests.
    I think that Archie Comics has almost repositioned themselves to be as successful as they've been in prior eras. They've got availability, in that their books are in grocery stores, book sellers, news stands, and comic shops. Not to mention same-day digital releases, and an app that's been downloaded over a million times. What I feel that they're lacking (and know that they're working on) is media saturation. As we've all seen with DC comics animation at WB, nothing pulls kids into comics like a great animated series.

There's a Sabrina the Teenage Witch cartoon in production currently, and a Sabrina movie that was recently put on a fast track for production (whatever that means). Archie has also partnered with a Canadian game design company to produce games for tablets and smart phones. I hope that we're not too far away from a time when the Riverdale gang is a bit more ubiquitous in the pop culture landscape. It would be great if, in a few years, most nine year olds knew of Archie from some kind of multimedia platform and bought up the digests in the grocery aisle.

I love your story about your cousin, dubbat138! It really speaks to what is great about the comics community.
    edited April 2012
    Since my lil cousin got those Archie comics I have been giving him some of my Archie digest for him to read. He seems to be enjoying them. He is into comics but only reads Archie,Bone and Uncle Scrooge.

I wonder if the long running Sabrina tv show or that Josie and the pussycats film had any effect on the sales of the Archie comics. I know I watched and loved both.
    I would think that the Sabrina show brought in some readers. There was an on-going Sabrina title for the majority of the show's run, some of which featured Melissa Joan Heart photo covers. The Josie and the Pussycats movie, however, did not seem to push any comics. Aside, from a few appearances in Archie and Friends, we hadn't seen much of them until last year.

I recently started watching Archie's Weird Mysteries, which was completely off my radar when it was originally broadcast. It had its own tie-in comic series that ran for thirty issues or so. I'm not sure if that helped sales at all.

I've also been revisiting The New Archies, it's pretty great.

I never watched much of the Sabrina series, but I totally agree that the Josie movie is really good.
    So I went to to look at those storyboards and left empty handed, the owner has been out all week and hasn't unpacked them yet. Her brother called them letter boards, describing them "about not quite poster sized, with black and white art with empty word balloons."

I'm supposed to check back with them on Monday.
    Sounds like original art to me, though old pages would be lettered. This is turning into a fun mystery!
    I would think that the Sabrina show brought in some readers. There was an on-going Sabrina title for the majority of the show's run, some of which featured Melissa Joan Heart photo covers. The Josie and the Pussycats movie, however, did not seem to push any comics. Aside, from a few appearances in Archie and Friends, we hadn't seen much of them until last year.

I recently started watching Archie's Weird Mysteries, which was completely off my radar when it was originally broadcast. It had its own tie-in comic series that ran for thirty issues or so. I'm not sure if that helped sales at all.

I've also been revisiting The New Archies, it's pretty great.

I never watched much of the Sabrina series, but I totally agree that the Josie movie is really good.
    Yeah I never heard of Archie's Weird Mysteries. Then when I moved back to MS the local Fox channel showed it every weekday morning at 6am. So I started recording them and really enjoyed the show. Just saw some company has put out on dvd a set that is every episode.

• It is really cool to hear the enthusiasm in your voice in the shows. I listen because of that. In all honesty I have absolutely no interest in Archie but your enjoyment is fun to listen too. Great Job!
  • MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    I grew up on these (my mom was a soft touch at the grocery store checkout line when it came to these). I must have had a hundred of them when I was in elementary school...

I fully intend to get my girl hooked on these as soon as she is old enough (only 3 now). Seems like perfect kid reading....
    I grew up on these (my mom was a soft touch at the grocery store checkout line when it came to these). I must have had a hundred of them when I was in elementary school...

I fully intend to get my girl hooked on these as soon as she is old enough (only 3 now). Seems like perfect kid reading....

I know that both my lil cousin and my youngest son love the Archie Digest. My son's mom gets him a new digest every other week when they go grocery shopping.
    It is really cool to hear the enthusiasm in your voice in the shows. I listen because of that. In all honesty I have absolutely no interest in Archie but your enjoyment is fun to listen too. Great Job!
    Thank you, so much! I was explaining to a friend last week that the show is basically me cheer leading for Archie Comics. Maybe they'll/I'll win you over someday!

On the topic of digests, I have given up nearly all of my marvel and DC books in exchange for them. When it's a matter of 3.99 for Amazing Spider-man or 3.99 for 160 pages of some of my favorite cartoonists (Dan Parent, Dan DeCarlo, Stan Goldberg, Fernando Ruiz, etc.) Archie is really winning out lately. It's not for everyone, but it really is exciting for me.

It's really great to hear about the young folks in everyone's lives getting excited about digests as well.
    On the topic of digests, I have given up nearly all of my marvel and DC books in exchange for them. When it's a matter of 3.99 for Amazing Spider-man or 3.99 for 160 pages of some of my favorite cartoonists (Dan Parent, Dan DeCarlo, Stan Goldberg, Fernando Ruiz, etc.) Archie is really winning out lately. It's not for everyone, but it really is exciting for me.

It's really great to hear about the young folks in everyone's lives getting excited about digests as well.

Now it might just be I am not paying attention but I have three questions about the various Archie Digests.

1.Does the "Tales from Riverdale" digest still come out? I haven't seen an issue in what seems to be at least a year.

2.I want to say I heard that Archice now only puts out the Double Digest. Is this true?

3.Has there ever been a Sonic the hedgehog Digest?

1. Tales from Riverdale does not come out anymore. I think that it was replaced by World of Archie, but I'm not 100% sure.

2. They just cut back on traditional 32-page comics really sharply. Their only monthly floppy is Archie. Kevin Keller, Betty and Veronica, and Jughead floppies come out 6 times a year. The Archie Married Life magazine comes out ten times a year, and then there are 6 different monthly digests.

2 1/2. I may have misunderstood your question! They only release Double Digests, they currently run 160 pages, which used to be the page count of the Digests. I'm not sure what happened to the heftier page count on the Double Digests, they may have gotten too pricey for their market.

3. I've never seen a Sonic digest. My understanding is that they have stuck to a trade program with the Sonic universe. All of that stuff is traded in chronological order and released in clearly numbered volumes. BUT, Archie is doing the Sonic Super Spectacular, which is a reprint magazine. It's not a digest by any stretch, but it is similar in that it pulls stories from prior issues.
  • I'll have to check this out sometime. I was a huge fan of Archie growing up and still read them from time to time.
    I'll have to check this out sometime. I was a huge fan of Archie growing up and still read them from time to time.
    It would be nice to have you along for the ride! I feel like I'm still getting my act together, but I think that things are going really well so far.

Just finished listening to the first 3 episodes. Fun show,I still read at least a few of the digests each year.
    Fun is exactly what I'm shooting for! The tenth episode just posted yesterday, I hope you'll come back for some more.
    Listened to episode 10 earlier tonight. Great show.
  • DavidAkersDavidAkers Posts: 44
    I'm really enjoying it too. I've gotten back into Archie through digital comics. I wish they were a bit better about some things with the digital, but it's a great way to read them.
    I'm really enjoying it too. I've gotten back into Archie through digital comics. I wish they were a bit better about some things with the digital, but it's a great way to read them.

I'm really glad that you're liking the show. I have a hard time with digital comics in general. This may be because I'm reading them on my laptop, maybe seeing them on an iPad will change everything for me, but I'm skeptical.

I wanted to let folks know that episode 12 of The Riverdale Podcast went up this morning. It's a mostly super hero affair, with Stan Lee's Mighty 7, The New Crusaders, and even Zen the Intergalactic Ninja being discussed. You can find the show on iTunes, or check out the show's blog. Thanks, folks.
    Just finished listening to the newest episode. As always great episode brah. I picked up that Archie digest with the superheroes yesterday. But haven't read it yet.
    I'm really excited that you're liking the show, and Archie comics. Thanks!