Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Music Thread

Comments

• hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

hauberk said:

Crossposting from the Random bits thread:

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees announced - Nirvana, KISS, Linda Ronstadt, Peter Gabriel, Hall & Oates and Cat Stevens. All in all, a pretty good class I suppose. Personally, I'd gladly trade Stevens out in favor of Warren Zevon, who IMO had a much more profound musical and, more specifically, lyrical impact.

I’d trade out KISS, Hall & Oates, and Stevens for Zevon.
    As a product of the 80's I have some fondness for some Hall & Oates and I have to credit Oates along side Sam Elliott and my father for helping to establish my own post pubescent goals for facial hair.

KISS, for good or ill, I think had a pretty profound impact on the music industry. I think it's less for the music and more on the monetization of ancillary products, but regardless, the impact is there and without them starting the ball rolling, where would the t-shirt wall at Target and stores like Hot Topic and Spencer's be today?

• playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited December 2013
    hauberk said:

hauberk said:

Crossposting from the Random bits thread:

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees announced - Nirvana, KISS, Linda Ronstadt, Peter Gabriel, Hall & Oates and Cat Stevens. All in all, a pretty good class I suppose. Personally, I'd gladly trade Stevens out in favor of Warren Zevon, who IMO had a much more profound musical and, more specifically, lyrical impact.

As a product of the 80's I have some fondness for some Hall & Oates and I have to credit Oates along side Sam Elliott and my father for helping to establish my own post pubescent goals for facial hair.

KISS, for good or ill, I think had a pretty profound impact on the music industry. I think it's less for the music and more on the monetization of ancillary products, but regardless, the impact is there and without them starting the ball rolling, where would the t-shirt wall at Target and stores like Hot Topic and Spencer's be today?

Agreed on KISS. And it's not like they got in on the first try. Zevon will have his day.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

You can't trade out KISS. One of the greatest bands of all time, and the innovators of merchandising. Every band wishes they could sell merch like KISS.
  • I never said KISS didn't deserve to be in the Hall. I think they do, but certainly not for their music. I consider them to be the Monkees of hard rock. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that.) But I'd take Zevon over them every day of the week.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    "Keep Me in Your Heart" will be played at my funeral. Warren Zevon has always been one of my favs.
  • chriswchrisw Posts: 792

I never said KISS didn't deserve to be in the Hall. I think they do, but certainly not for their music. I consider them to be the Monkees of hard rock. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that.) But I'd take Zevon over them every day of the week.

Speaking of which... still no Hall of Fame induction for The Monkees? Even Davy Jones dying couldn't make that happen?

I never said KISS didn't deserve to be in the Hall. I think they do, but certainly not for their music. I consider them to be the Monkees of hard rock. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that.) But I'd take Zevon over them every day of the week.

Don't try to hide it... I know you are KISS hater ;) You probably liked them with the makeup off too ;)
    mwhitt80 said:

Don't try to hide it... I know you are KISS hater ;) You probably liked them with the makeup off too ;)
    :-O
  • mwhitt80 said:

Well, actually I am a KISS hater, but I respect their place in the industry. I even met Gene Simmons at a San Diego Comic-Con back in 2004, 2005—somewhere in there. He was just walking the floor (cool as can be, like he owned the place) and scanning the booths, and he stopped by our booth. We exchanged a few pleasantries, and he let my wife get her picture taken with him. Nice enough guy.

But back in high school, I was filled in on bass with my cousin’s metal cover band for a few months, and every time I had to play “Detroit Rock City” I got bored to tears.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    KISS belongs, but I'm a card-carrying member of the KISS army, so I'm biased. :)

Zevon belongs, but I'll say the unpopular thing...I don't know that he'll ever get in. He had Excitable Boy, which is damn near a perfect album, and a whole bunch of others that are beloved, critically acclaimed, and pretty much stayed that way. If it's a popularity contest, I don't know that he'll ever get the votes to get in. And that's wrong.

He should get in simply because he gave me the words I try and live by to this day - "Enjoy every sandwich." Has shit to do with his music, but when the doc looks at you and says you have cancer, you can fall into despair or you can follow Warren's advice.

• shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    We all have our loves. Zevon belongs but not at the expense of Hall and Oates. The Hall of Fame stopped being about Rock long ago. She's Gone is better than the sum total everything Hall and Oates ever did after H20.
  • electric_mayhemelectric_mayhem Posts: 641
    edited December 2013
    H&O ! niiiiiiiiiiiiice. Love that duo
  • been discovering the Hag, Charlie Rich, Willie Nelson, through Pandora's Classic Country station.

Pancho and Lefty.... that is... a... good.. song by those two..
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Torchsong said:

He should get in simply because he gave me the words I try and live by to this day - "Enjoy every sandwich." Has shit to do with his music, but when the doc looks at you and says you have cancer, you can fall into despair or you can follow Warren's advice.

exactly
    ^:)^
    Torchsong said:

KISS belongs, but I'm a card-carrying member of the KISS army, so I'm biased. :)

Zevon belongs, but I'll say the unpopular thing...I don't know that he'll ever get in. He had Excitable Boy, which is damn near a perfect album, and a whole bunch of others that are beloved, critically acclaimed, and pretty much stayed that way. If it's a popularity contest, I don't know that he'll ever get the votes to get in. And that's wrong.

His self titled album was nothing to slouch at either. I think that you have to look at Zevon, not only from the perspective of a performer, but also as a brilliant lyricist. I'd be hard pressed to come up with another song writer that can tell a story as completely and tragically as Zevon does in a single verse of Carmelita.

That said, I get what you're saying about popularity contests.
  • been discovering the Hag, Charlie Rich, Willie Nelson, through Pandora's Classic Country station.

I'm not so much into Haggard, but I do like most of Nelson’s stuff.

I don’t think he’s considered part of the “outlaw country” subgenre, but if you like these guys you should give Buck Owens a shot (if you haven’t already). His music often gets overlooked, probably because of him being on Hee Haw and people primarily associating him with that, but his lyrics are often quite funny, he’s got strong arrangements, and he’s got a great, unique delivery.
  • chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Buck Owens is often credited with being a bridge between country and country-rock. Even the Beatles covered him at one point (I'm thinking the only country cover they ever did, at least in terms of official releases).

And speaking of Hee Haw, I still have a memory of flipping through channels in my college dorm and watching it one night with the intent of making fun of some bad television. Then, Buck Owens launched into a version of "Peaceful Easy Feeling" by the Eagles, a band I don't even like, and it was great. I mean, here I am remembering it twenty years later, so it must have been something.
    edited December 2013

been discovering the Hag, Charlie Rich, Willie Nelson, through Pandora's Classic Country station.

Since you liked Pancho and Lefty I would recommend tracking down 7 Spainish Angels with Willie and Ray Charles. Those are two of my favorite Willie songs (Whiskey River is the best drinking song ever). Another great Willie duet is To All the Girls I've Loved Before Willie and Julio Iglesias Sr.

If you are looking for new outlaw country try Shooter Jennings (Waylon's son), Hank Williams III (Hank Jr's son), Pat Green's older stuff, and Hayes Carll's Trouble on My Mind album.
  • electric_mayhemelectric_mayhem Posts: 641
    edited December 2013

I'm not so much into Haggard, but I do like most of Nelson’s stuff.

I don’t think he’s considered part of the “outlaw country” subgenre, but if you like these guys you should give Buck Owens a shot (if you haven’t already). His music often gets overlooked, probably because of him being on Hee Haw and people primarily associating him with that, but his lyrics are often quite funny, he’s got strong arrangements, and he’s got a great, unique delivery.

mwhitt80 said:

Since you liked Pancho and Lefty I would recommend tracking down 7 Spainish Angels with Willie and Ray Charles. Those are two of my favorite Willie songs (Whiskey River is the best drinking song ever). Another great Willie duet is To All the Girls I've Loved Before Willie and Julio Iglesias Sr.

If you are looking for new outlaw country try Shooter Jennings (Waylon's son), Hank Williams III (Hank Jr's son), Pat Green's older stuff, and Hayes Carll's Trouble on My Mind album.

I see the Rabbit Hole beckoning.. I will so get lost.. :D Thank you for all the suggestions. I will definitely check them out..
  • and all credit goes to the Half Hour Wasted guys for getting hooked on Ronnie Milsap again. #SmokyMountainRain
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Hee Haw and people primarily associating him with that, but his lyrics are often quite funny, he’s got strong arrangements, and he’s got a great, unique delivery.
    I had no idea at the time that nearly every one of the musicians on Hee Haw was a freaking legend.

I have enormous retro-respect for the show, despite hating having to watch it with my folks as a kid. (Except for the Hee Haw Honeys, of course, that was the only aspect of the show I really paid any attention to at the time.)
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    WetRats said:

Hee Haw and people primarily associating him with that, but his lyrics are often quite funny, he’s got strong arrangements, and he’s got a great, unique delivery.
    I had no idea at the time that nearly every one of the musicians on Hee Haw was a freaking legend.

I have enormous retro-respect for the show, despite hating having to watch it with my folks as a kid. (Except for the Hee Haw Honeys, of course, that was the only aspect of the show I really paid any attention to at the time.)

That was pretty much how I was as well, though I may have had a slight inkling of the musicians’ statuses. I mean, it was better than Lawrence Welk, which came on just before Hee Haw, but I didn’t care for it all that much beyond the Honeys. Though I did like the “Pickin’ and Grinnin’” segments—mostly for Roy’s banjo solo at the end (have I mentioned I play banjo?)—and the occasional guest, like Johnny Cash.

(have I mentioned I play banjo?)

That is a very not-lordly thing to admit. I might have to strip your title down to a lesser baronet.
    After rereading the last few posts on country.
    I would submit maybe two of most outlaw of country singers (they must be submited together) Johnny Paycheck and David Allan Coe. If you are easily offended Coe isn't for you, but he did write two of the greatest country songs ever. "Take this Job and Shove It" and "You never even called me by my name"
    Neither can sing worth a damn.

On a personal note I am a big fan of Hank Williams Jr. and I really like Hank Williams III (he sounds and looks like his granddaddy).
    My favorite Hank Jr. song is Dinosaur
    edited April 2014
    double post--musical interlude
    edited April 2014
    mwhitt80 said:

If you are easily offended Coe isn't for you, but he did write two of the greatest country songs ever. "Take this Job and Shove It" and "You never even called me by my name"

The latter was written by Steve Goodman and an uncredited John Prine.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    mwhitt80 said:

(have I mentioned I play banjo?)

That is a very not-lordly thing to admit. I might have to strip your title down to a lesser baronet.
    I'm cool with that. I'm not giving back the land, though.
    Grrrr my brain dropped that. My fault. Double my fault in fact bc Coe tells us in the openning line Steve Goodman wrote it. Then in the iconic verse two he tells Steve he did not write the perfect country and western song. steve promptly corrects his ommission with the greatest opening line in a song ever.

I was drunk the day my ma got out of prison.

The other great moment was the Charlie pride/Coe confusion in verse 1 (if you are unfamiliar with the song listen to it then google charlie pride & david allen coe)