Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Official Thread (Spoiler Heavy)

Comments

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    It depends. Ward and Melinda feel so similar in certain ways that they almost seem like clones. Adding August's character would change it up a bit due to having such a different personality. In the end, it all depends on how they use him I guess. I do like the character though.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    jaydee74 said:

It depends. Ward and Melinda feel so similar in certain ways that they almost seem like clones. Adding August's character would change it up a bit due to having such a different personality. In the end, it all depends on how they use him I guess. I do like the character though.

And the fanfic just writes itself.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited December 2013
    Okay, starting to watch the series beyond the pilot. Does the show get better after episode 6?

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Okay, starting to watch the series beyond the pilot. Does the show get better after episode 6?

M

It never gets better.
  • Options
    Yes. It does. Not as good as Arrow, unfortunately, but is still entertaining. The episode with the Asgardian weapon is the best thus far.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Matt said:

M

It does but not a lot. It may work better watching several episodes in a chunk.
  • Options

Yes. It does. Not as good as Arrow, unfortunately, but is still entertaining. The episode with the Asgardian weapon is the best thus far.

Okay, then this show isn't for me. I was only able to watch episode 7 (The Hub) forward. I wasn't sure if the show got better, stayed the same, or when up & down. I watched episodes 7-9 and cannot get into the show.

1.) Skye is by far too annoying. How many times does she need to hear "need to know" in various phrasing to understand the concept.

2.) if Xander & Willow, I mean Fitz & Simmons can't handle the difficulties of fieldwork, then stay out of it. They're personalities are almost as annoying as Skye's. The whole joking around stuff doesn't work. The girl does occasionally look like Anne Hathaway, though.

3.) Ward doesn't both me as much, but this whole 'bad boy with troubled past' bit is too much for me

4.) May still seems to be the most interesting of the group. Hard to believe Ming-Na is 50.

5.) I really doubt Coulson is a LMD, too many fans are calling it. If it holds true, it wouldn't really be big deal. Plus, how many Level 8 Agents are there? He was walking around the Hub, which seemed filled with Agents. Didn't the pilot episode state Ward made Level 8 when he found out Couldon was alive?

The episode following Thor was probably more in line with what the show should be. It was the only episode of the 3 I watched that I didn't have to remind myself this is the Marvel Universe. Its sad because I didn't find the episode overly interesting. I figured out who Peter MacNichol's character was the 2nd time he appeared.

The show is less procedural then I thought, but still seems to only have a Marvel Comics wrapping. I realized if this was a comic series instead of a show I wouldn't be reading it. I think the cast has too many original characters & no establish Marvel characters.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Okay, then this show isn't for me. I was only able to watch episode 7 (The Hub) forward. I wasn't sure if the show got better, stayed the same, or when up & down. I watched episodes 7-9 and cannot get into the show.

1.) Skye is by far too annoying. How many times does she need to hear "need to know" in various phrasing to understand the concept.

2.) if Xander & Willow, I mean Fitz & Simmons can't handle the difficulties of fieldwork, then stay out of it. They're personalities are almost as annoying as Skye's. The whole joking around stuff doesn't work. The girl does occasionally look like Anne Hathaway, though.

3.) Ward doesn't both me as much, but this whole 'bad boy with troubled past' bit is too much for me

4.) May still seems to be the most interesting of the group. Hard to believe Ming-Na is 50.

5.) I really doubt Coulson is a LMD, too many fans are calling it. If it holds true, it wouldn't really be big deal. Plus, how many Level 8 Agents are there? He was walking around the Hub, which seemed filled with Agents. Didn't the pilot episode state Ward made Level 8 when he found out Couldon was alive?

The episode following Thor was probably more in line with what the show should be. It was the only episode of the 3 I watched that I didn't have to remind myself this is the Marvel Universe. Its sad because I didn't find the episode overly interesting. I figured out who Peter MacNichol's character was the 2nd time he appeared.

The show is less procedural then I thought, but still seems to only have a Marvel Comics wrapping. I realized if this was a comic series instead of a show I wouldn't be reading it. I think the cast has too many original characters & no establish Marvel characters.

M
    If you watched episodes 7-9 you probably saw the show at its apex. That's about as good as it gets. At least so far.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I still enjoy the show but wish there was more references to the Marvel U. I have a feeling we'll be seeing big changes along those lines next season. If not, well, I don't think the show will last.
  • Options
    In the last several years, I've come to only start watching shows during their sophomore season. Its to ensure I didn't waste time with season 1 just for the series to be canceled. Also by year 2, shows normally have a direction to move toward. I can better swallow a crappy season 1 if I know there's a great season 2.

Perhaps when they tweak the show for season 2 (I'd be shocked if they didn't) I'll give it another try.

I do think they should work more with the movies. Do storylines building toward the next MU movie, even if its a B or C plotline, then an ep or 2 with the movie's repercussions. That Thor tie-in felt more like what the show should be.

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I think this pretty much ends the debate regarding whether or not the DC Cinematic universe of heroes is ever going to overtake the MCU. Ever since Marvel teamed up with Disney, they've been on fire.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Sorry double post
  • Options

I think this pretty much ends the debate regarding whether or not the DC Cinematic universe of heroes is ever going to overtake the MCU. Ever since Marvel teamed up with Disney, they've been on fire.

Depends on what we're talking about here. DC-TV and DC animation has been consistently better than Marvel. Marvel Studios has rocked cinematically but they aren't quite taking over the world yet.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Depends on what we're talking about here. DC-TV and DC animation has been consistently better than Marvel. Marvel Studios has rocked cinematically but they aren't quite taking over the world yet.

Yeah I think we'll have a better idea of Marvel's TV place after the Netflix shows.
  • Options

random73 said:

Yeah I think we'll have a better idea of Marvel's TV place after the Netflix shows.
    Now THAT is something I'm excited about!
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited December 2013
    Just been watching an episode of The Shield (season 3, episode 10) wherein Clark Gregg (Coulson) plays "The Cuddler" (suspected serial rapist and murderer).

He wore the same congenial smile. Kind of eerie that. @-)
  • Options
    Saw a tweet stating 'unrealistic expectations' to blame for fan disappointment in the show. I'm curious if we had unrealistic expectations.

M
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Matt said:

Saw a tweet stating 'unrealistic expectations' to blame for fan disappointment in the show. I'm curious if we had unrealistic expectations.

M

IF expecting quality is unrealistic then... give me the electric chair for all my future crimes, Yall! Guilty! Yeah! For all My future crimes...image
  • Options
    My expectations were lowered when I saw promo pictures of people in civilian clothes and not Shield uniforms. And I realized with each episode that it was going to be what it is now.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
  • Options
    Matt said:

M

If by "unrealistic" they meant the idea that the show would explore the MCU in a meaningful way and not seem, except for gratuitous name dropping, like an average spy-fi show with nothing I haven't seen done better, then yeah I guess so.

I'm afraid that the show will never do anything they think they could maybe one day include in a movie for fear of undercutting their bread and butter.

Just one superhero in 10 episodes would have gone a long way.
  • Options

Matt said:

M

If by "unrealistic" they meant the idea that the show would explore the MCU in a meaningful way and not seem, except for gratuitous name dropping, like an average spy-fi show with nothing I haven't seen done better, then yeah I guess so.

I'm afraid that the show will never do anything they think they could maybe one day include in a movie for fear of undercutting their bread and butter.

Just one superhero in 10 episodes would have gone a long way.
    I agree, I don't think its "unrealistic" to have expected more comic book appearance & not name dropping. It's why I still say this show merely has a Marvel wrapping.

I disagree with having a completely new cast of characters. I do understand that many of the 'named' characters of SHIELD are cast by actors who aren't doing a weekly series. It's not a make/break issue, but still an issue.

Why can't the agents spend time going after Secret Empire, Justin Hammer's guys, or even AIM? It doesn't have to be a Spy v. Spy series, but why else does Coulson get this special unit?

I still think they should make the series setting up & dealing with C & D plots of upcoming Marvel movies. Plus, taking down a D-level villain or meeting a supporting characters at times wouldn't hurt either.

I do agree, field agents or not, either have the uniform or a suit!

M
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Loeb says don't give up hope = there's a plan...

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/12/16/jeph-loeb-marvel_n_4454992.html

his word would have carried more weight 5-10 years ago with me than it does now.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    random73 said:

hauberk said:

his word would have carried more weight 5-10 years ago with me than it does now.
    Because the last 5-10 years of Marvel movies and animation have just sucked, right?

There is clearly a plan.

It may not be the plan you want.

It may not be unfolding as fast as you think it should.

But there's a plan.

And there's a Big Bad.

Maybe two.

And I will be astonished if the late April/early May episodes don't deal with the repercussions of Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

hauberk said:

Because the last 5-10 years of Marvel movies and animation have just sucked, right?

There is clearly a plan.

It may not be the plan you want.

It may not be unfolding as fast as you think it should.

But there's a plan.

And there's a Big Bad.

Maybe two.

And I will be astonished if the late April/early May episodes don't deal with the repercussions of Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
    No because his writing has been increasingly terrible.

And no, I don't think Loeb gets much credit for the stuff Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige are putting together.

I want AoS to be great, I do! But right now it is just mediocre.

• Options
    comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=49857

So we are getting another possible supervillian. As much as I actually liked the Franklin Hall episode and can see him coming back as Gravitron, I really hope they come out of the gate with this kid as Blizzard. Probably not though. Because this show knows exactly how to disappoint.
  • Options

comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=49857

So we are getting another possible supervillian. As much as I actually liked the Franklin Hall episode and can see him coming back as Gravitron, I really hope they come out of the gate with this kid as Blizzard. Probably not though. Because this show knows exactly how to disappoint.

I think my Dad used that same phrase about my Mom... :-S
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Really, what else would he say? Were the early episodes just test episodes to see how little Marvel comics could be put into the show?! Is Bendis the technical advisor how how to decompress the shows?

Thus far, the series isn't for me. Any notion of "unrealistic expectations" is why fans are disappointed is malarkey. I didn't expect movie level stars & special effects, but I would've expected something more of a comic book feel in the Marvel U. It's not too far derailed to get the series where it should be, but don't tell me I have 'unrealistic expectations.'

M
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    http://comicsalliance.com/agents-of-shield-10-episode-best-worst-list-ranking-marvel-abc/

thoughts? I might have ranked Episode 10 a little higher but not much. I may just flip flop the Pilot and ep 10.