Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Podcasts- What are you listening to?

I saw there were a ton of Other Comics Podcasts threads on the forums but nothing for general non-comic podcasts. What are you into right now?

Comments

• playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited December 2013
    Me, I'm currently loving "Hardcore History" with Dan Carlin, "How Did This Get Made?" (which, when i saw the thread about the Daredevil episode inspired me to create the thread) and "Improv4Humans" with Matt Besser

Also, what's the consensus on video podcasts. Personally I hate them, but I, inexplicably, hate watching internet videos.
  • Quite a few for me: Hardcore History, CGS, jalen rose report, nfl podcast, men in blazers, hollywood prospectus, BS Report, Nerdist Writers Panel, smodcast, tell em steve save, what say you, fatman on batman, this american life, radio lab, freakonomics, planet money, behind the bets, james bonding and FEAB.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    WTF, The Nerdist, Lots of NPR shows, The Moth, Magic the Gathering Drive to Work, Witness from the BBC.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    WTF, The Nerdist, podcast version of Pardon The Interruption and the Tony Kornheiser Show, The Alton Browncast, Chain Attack, Sword & Laser, The Morning Stream, The Final Score, The Instance, Convert To Raid, Coverville, Film Sack, Auto Pilot, D6 Generation and more Warcraft podcasts than should be humanly possible.
  • Ok, let me add the ones I've been listening to for a while: Wait, Wait don't tell me, Freakanomics, On the Media (maybe my favorite, I'm obsessed with how media works), Radiolab, This American Life, i'm an occasional Nerdist and Comedy Bang Bang listener too.

I was listening to the Archers (a BBC radio4 soap) for a while because it was one of the only new dramas available, but the trials of pastoral farm life in England are only so interesting. Actually, does anyone know of any good serialize podcast dramas?
    Greg said:

WTF, The Nerdist, podcast version of Pardon The Interruption and the Tony Kornheiser Show, The Alton Browncast, Chain Attack, Sword & Laser, The Morning Stream, The Final Score, The Instance, Convert To Raid, Coverville, Film Sack, Auto Pilot, D6 Generation and more Warcraft podcasts than should be humanly possible.

Dang.
    edited December 2013

On the Media (maybe my favorite, I'm obsessed with how media works)

Great show.

Have you read Brooke Gladstone's comic?
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    WetRats said:

Greg said:

Dang.
    Yep, and that doesn't include all of the comic related shows. Most of what I listen to is only out once a week, is bi-weekly and in some cases even more spread out. It helps that I get plenty of time to listen at work. Some of it is also just background noise.
    Greg said:

WetRats said:

Greg said:

Dang.
    Yep, and that doesn't include all of the comic related shows. Most of what I listen to is only out once a week, is bi-weekly and in some cases even more spread out. It helps that I get plenty of time to listen at work. Some of it is also just background noise.
    Ah.
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Some of the podcasts I listen to include:
    Raging Bullets
    Crazy Sexy Geeks
    The Panels on Pages PoP-Cast
    PCW: PoP-Cast Wrestling
    The Doctor Who Podcast
    Doctor Who: An Occasional Podcast
    Doctor Who: Radio Free Skaro
    Doctor Who: Verity!
    Doctor Who: The Memory Cheats
    Doctor Who: The TARDIS Tavern
    Crazy Sexy Geeks
    Super-Fly Comics and Games Podcast
    RebelForce Radio
    The Happiness Patrol
    Earth Station One Podcast
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited December 2013
    my playlist

Comic Book Club
    Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
    Film Sack
    FilmMad Society
    Filmspotting
    The Geek Savants
    The H.P.Lovecraft Literary Podcast
    Inkstuds
    It's the crankcast!
    Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's Film Reviews
    Mission Log: A Roddenberry Star Trek Podcast
    The Moth Podcast
    Night of the Living Podcast
    Only the Valiant
    Point of Inquiry
    Pop Culture Hound
    Science Weekly
    Slate's Culture Gabfest
    The Smartest Man in the World
    Sound Opinions
    Stuff You Missed in History Class
    Stuff You Should Know
    This American Life
    WTF with Marc Maron
    11 O'Clock Comics Podcast

and Comic Geek Speak

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    Current list
    ESPN
    Oberman
    Behind the Bets
    BS Report (listening since it was the Eye of The Sportsguy)
    Cheap Heat (David Shumaker's Grantland wrestling podcast)
    Do You like Prince Movies (Wesley Morris & Alex Papdemas GL Movie/Music)
    Hollywood Prospectus (Chris Ryan & Andy Greenwald GL TV/Music)
    Jalen Rose Show (Jalen Rose & Dave Jacoby)

Comics
    CGS
    Crankcast
    Wordballon (I guess John took the Rios fanboy radio jab seriously cause it's good again)

Other
    Art of Wrestling (Colt Cabana's wrestling show)
    Steve Austin Show
    NPR Pop Culture Happy Hour
    The Starters (formerly The Basketball Jones)

And I am relistening to Tom vs Comics (maybe the greatest comics podcast ever) as I go to sleep. I just finished Tom vs. JLA the other night, it takes a while when you have to keep relistening to the same episode 3/4/5 nights in a row because you keep falling asleep after the introduction.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    The Tony Kornheiser show
    PTI
    Old School Wrestling Podcast
    Steve Austin
    Bryan & Vinny
    Figure Four Daily
    Karl Stern's Old School Wrestling
    Legion of Substitute Podcasters
    Danger Room
    Crisis to Crisis
    Superman Old Time Radio
    Superman in the Bronze Age
    jaydee74 said:

The Doctor Who Podcast

I'd like to listen to a Dr Who 'cast, but am a bit overwhelmed by choices.

What are the differences?
  • Just started listening to "Thrilling Adventure Hour" which promotes itself as a podcast in the tradition of old time radio, but feels a lot more like Geek Prarie Home Companion with it's live shows and rotation of fun guest stars.

The christmas episode features a story written by Ed Brubaker (who seems to be making the podcast rounds lately, what with the recent Daredevil episode of How Did This Get Made) that was hilarious.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited January 2014
    WetRats said:

jaydee74 said:

The Doctor Who Podcast

I'd like to listen to a Dr Who 'cast, but am a bit overwhelmed by choices.

What are the differences?
    Radio Free Skaro is a way more educated show. Less hysteria more knowledge. They don't just gosh but can be very analytical. They are involved in conventions and such. They got great guests and specials. They're just never boring and predictable. My personal favorite of Who related podcasts.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    The Geek savants
    Exploited Cinema
    Profondo Cinema
    Bloodbaths and Boomsticks
    A very Stefan Podcast
    The WHole indy Show
    The Reed Bentley show

And a cheap shill I listen to Asshat Podcast. But that is just because I edit it.
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    edited January 2014
    I REALLY like the Alton Brown podcast, even though he's shifting to do more interviews and less food stuff while he's on tour. He's an OK interviewer, but he is a million times more entertaining when answering food questions from fans. I could listen to that all damn day.

And, even though they aren't podcasts, the "Members Only" audio shows on PWInsider.com are always entertaining and fun. They have done a great job at creating an identity and giving a bang for the buck in their memberships. If you like pro wrasslin' at all, you shoudl look into membership.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    CGS - It's this comics show... I dunno, you've probably never heard of it. :D

Nerdist - Not every episode, but with the right guests it's great, and the "hostful" episodes are always worth a listen.

The Dork Forest - Comedian Jackie Kashian talks to people about whatever they geek out about. Depends a lot on the strength of the guest(s), but the right people can make even the weirdest stuff sound fascinating.

Pop Culture Happy Hour - Weekly, smart, funny pop culture panel discussion show from NPR.

The Alton Browncast - Like Cory said, it's better when he's talking about food issues or to food people (I tend to skip the ones where he spends a lot of time talking to people about ties and pocket squares), but he's a good interviewer. The Giada episode was a really great example of that.

James Bonding - Matt Mira (from Nerdist) and Matt Gourley (from Superego) discuss their mutual love of James Bond. Each episode reviews a different Bond film, approaching the series from both ends and will eventually meet in the middle (i.e., episode 1 was Dr. No, episode 2 was Skyfall, etc.)

Please Like This Podcast - My old roommate Jeremy (called Stover here) and his friend Jera each pick something they really enjoy and then have the other guy watch/read/listen to/experience it in the hopes that they'll like it. Funny and interesting discussions ensue.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited January 2014
    As with my comic reading, I'm behind on my podcast listening. These lists don't make that easier. :|
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    For the CGS faithful, you may find some of the following podcasts worth checking out. I subscribe to each of these, but am a bit behind in my listening schedule. I also listen to one of these as I go to bed, but I just set the timer on my iPhone podcast player and can usually find where I fell asleep when I fire up the podcast the next night.

The Comics Alternative Two guys with PhDs talking about comics. Derek Royal and Andy Kunka are the hosts for this weekly podcast focused on the world of alternative comics. Reviews, analysis, roundtable discussions, and interviews.

Collected Comics Library unbiased reviews and discussions of current and upcoming comic book trade paperbacks, hardcovers and other collected edition news and reviews by Chris Marshall. Also touches on industry sales figures occasionally.

KomicsKast podcast dedicated to comics and small press. Knowledgeable bunch of guys, but a bit less enjoyable than your favorite CGS team.

Two True Freaks A fairly juvenile podcast covering all of nerd world. They cover Star Trek, Star Wars, Anime, comic book and movie shows, giant monsters, etc. I check out their monthly monday episodes, initially for their review of Marvel's original Star Wars run.

The Bald Solo Podcast Star Wars, Movies, Comics, Video Games, and everything else under the Binary Sunset. This is a rather pedestrian, thoguh professional podcast sticking mostly to Star Wars material.

Hey, Kids! Comics is a child of Two True Freaks, but with an Australian father and son team. Just a weekly podcast about comics and any other stuff they find interesting

The Daily Rios former and occasional return player of CGS and occasional podcaster on comics and like-minded stuff. Hope to hear a new episode soon. They are usually succinct and not always an industry mainstream echo chamber.
    @bralinator
    I didn't realize CCL was still running is chris still doing it weekly?
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    mwhitt80 said:

@bralinator
    I didn't realize CCL was still running is chris still doing it weekly?

More like monthly. Most recent episode was Dec 4.
  • KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Nerdist
    Joe Rogan experience (has to be a guest I'm interested in though, 3+hours doesn't work well if you don't like the guest)
    Cashing in with T.J. Miller
    Doug Loves Movies
    This American Life
    The Indoor Kids
    Bertcast
    Your Mom's House Podcast
    Comedy Bang Bang
    Harmontown
    Hollywood Bableon
    Professor Blastoff
    You Made it Weird (here's another long one so it's a guest by guest listen)
    Making it with Riki Lindhome
    The Dan Patrick Show
    The Crabfeast
    The K Ohle
    Wits
    Art of Wrestling
    Jay and Silent Bob get old
    and of course CGS

that's about it, there's a few others that come in as backups if I'm at the end of the week and have nothing else to listen to

Those of you that listen to wrestling podcasts are there any that really tell the stories that WWE might not want you to hear? I listen to Colt's show and they talk about a lot of stuff but it always feels like he could still get work in WWE so he's not going to tell the really juicy stuff if that makes sense.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Krescan said:

Nerdist
    Joe Rogan experience (has to be a guest I'm interested in though, 3+hours doesn't work well if you don't like the guest)
    Doug Loves Movies
    This American Life
    The Indoor Kids
    Bertcast
    Your Mom's House Podcast
    Comedy Bang Bang
    Harmontown
    Hollywood Bableon
    Professor Blastoff
    The Dan Patrick Show
    The Crabfeast
    The K Ohle
    Wits
    Art of Wrestling
    and of course CGS

that's about it, there's a few others that come in as backups if I'm at the end of the week and have nothing else to listen to

Those of you that listen to wrestling podcasts are there any that really tell the stories that WWE might not want you to hear? I listen to Colt's show and they talk about a lot of stuff but it always feels like he could still get work in WWE so he's not going to tell the really juicy stuff if that makes sense.

MLW's podcast might be what you are looking for. Konnan hosts it and you will hear some of what you don't hear on other wrestling based podcasts.

• Krescan said:

The guys at PWInsider tell a lot of stories that WWE isn't to happy with. Most of the guys were part of the old ECW website, and have a LOT of connections, so they give some good dirt, their opinions and some GREAT ECW stories.

• 11 O'clock Comics
    Aw Yeah w/Art and Franco
    local MN sports talk
    CGS
    Doug Loves Movies
    Girl on Guy (good interviews)
    Half Hour Wasted /Legion of Dudes
    The Black Box
    Legion of Subsitute Podcasters
    FatMan on Batman
    Nerdist (hostfuls are the best)
    Sainio Cast
    Smartest Man in the World
    Marc Maron's podcast
    Word Balloon
    iFanboy (its standard comic fare.. you just know what you will get from this podcast)
    The Daily Rios
    No Apologies

always looking for more... its an addiction really..
    I don't know if you guys have noticed but Wordballon is good again. John Suntrius is doing a good job and not phoning in episodes (I have an idea on what lit a fire under him). He's doing long interviews with conversations similiar to what made the show great.

I would reccommend you guys check it out.
  • KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    dubbat138 said:

Krescan said:

Nerdist
    Doug Loves Movies
    This American Life
    The Indoor Kids
    Bertcast
    Your Mom's House Podcast
    Comedy Bang Bang
    Harmontown
    Hollywood Bableon
    Professor Blastoff
    The Dan Patrick Show
    The Crabfeast
    The K Ohle
    Wits
    Art of Wrestling
    and of course CGS

MLW's podcast might be what you are looking for. Konnan hosts it and you will hear some of what you don't hear on other wrestling based podcasts.

I may have picked a bad episode to listen to, it was Carlito (I always liked him) but it turned into that old Chris Farley skit where he said Hey you remember that time I told you to go wrestle at OVW and you did? And Carlito would say, yeah I remember that, and they'd just go on to the next thing. Maybe a guest he wasn't as familiar with would be better.