Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Favourite character/s - Best Moment

Pretty simple, what is your fave character/s best moments?

BEWARE SPOILERS

Off the top of my head-

Black Adam - Suprising Kobra by doing what heroes aren't supposed to do and tearing his heart out

Emma Frost - everything really but especially any dialogue or interaction she had with Kitty Pryde in Whedon's astonishing x-men run :D

Comments

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Posts: 62
    I love Emma and Kitty's frosty relationship too!

As for me, I'm old school and one of those 'defining' moments in comics was Uncanny X-Men 137 when Jean Grey sacrificed herself on the moon. The whole comic was a great issue and it felt like it was something that little bit more special than other comics out there. I am a huge Jean Grey fan.

Another favourite moment and character is when Rachel Summers reveals her 'hound' scars to Kitty and Magneto in issue 196 of Uncanny X-Men.

It's a phoenix thing I guess lol.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Captain Britain looking out over a twisted, nightmarish London before donning his helmet and flying off to confront Mad Jim Jaspers
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I have so many I can't think of them all... :)

Batman (from Miller's Dark Knight Returns) - "There are seven working defenses from this position..." This one scene defined Batman for me probably more than anything I've ever read, and hooked me on Miller's writing for life.

Spider-Man - my favorite scene is actually him at his weakest - during Maximum Carnage there's a bit where Carnage is completely weakened and Venom is telling Firestar she can end it by killing him. Carnage would never survive a full scale blast from her (neither would its host). Firestar will not do it unless Spider-Man, the only person in the group she trusts, asks her to. Given that Peter's been through the wringer for some 100+ pages, he pauses only briefly before looking at her and saying "Do it!" And she does. Because if anyone except Spidey had asked her to, she'd have refused. Of course he has a change of heart and stops her before she commits murder, but it's one of the reasons you can't NOT love Spider-Man. That's a real person under that mask and sometimes he reaches a point of no return.

Yorick - involves a monkey, some grapes, and a big fat dude blubbering like a baby after reading that particular page. If you've read it (Y: The Last Man), and you've ever owned a pet, you know what I'm talking about.

Green Lantern/Sinestro - during Emerald Twilight. "I should have done this years ago"/"You know, you really should ha-" SNAP!!!

Punisher - it's one page from the Max series. One of Punisher's enemies has just dug up the graves of his wife and kids and is peeing on the corpses on television to try and call Frank out. It's just a splash of Frank over a bowl of soup watching it on television but it tells you everything you need to know about him and what he's going to do to that poor sonofabitch on the tv.

Wonder Woman - during Morrison's JLA run. She goes to beat the living hell out of the heavenly host and Aquaman sums it up nicely "Angels - meet Diana."

Will post more as I think of them...
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623

Yorick - involves a monkey, some grapes, and a big fat dude blubbering like a baby after reading that particular page. If you've read it (Y: The Last Man), and you've ever owned a pet, you know what I'm talking about.

i thought i was over that scene

thanks

:-S
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Green Lantern Hal Jordan/The ending of Rebirth #5 with the return of Hal Jordan
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Paul Kirk, Manhunter: The fight in the alley, specifically the manner in which he dispatches Damon Nostrand. Still one of the best-choreographed action sequences in comics history.

Kevin Matchstick, Mage: His reaction to being hit by the subway train.

Reuben Flagg, American Flagg: His desperate, brutal fight with John Sheisskopf, followed by his explanation to Mandy of the reason for his bad breath.
  • Options
    Thori, the Hel Puppy: when he gets named Thori and then informs Loki that he'd prefer to be called Entrail Gargler or The Death that Prowls on Four Legs....or just random chants of murder

Thori is definitely my favorite new character of 2012
  • Options
    Some more:

Terra - "Yeah, I just thought I'd get here first..." a.k.a. the moment you find out what she's really all about for the first time and your jaw hits the floor.

Captain Marvel - his moment of greatness in Kingdom Come

Superman - the bit where he tries to convince everyone else that there has to be a better solution than going to war (Kingdom Come). One of the best Alex Ross sequences out there - Wonder Woman looks at him, realizes he is the ultimate boy scout, and kisses him once before heading off to war.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Captain America - that time he yelled "Avengers Assemble!"

Thing - That time he yelled "It's Cobberin' Time!"

Bugs Bunney - That time he said, "Ain't I a stinker?"
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Rom Spaceknight-The final issue when he gets back into his human body.

Jesse Custer-When he fights off the KKK during the Salvation storyline

Buddy Bradley-When he discovers his former roomate has written a zine all about how Buddy is a slacker and a example of how Generation X waste their potential.

Rick Grimes-The "We are the Walking Dead speach"

Spider-man-We he catches the theif that killed Uncle Ben and you can see his pupils through his mask. That scene still sends chills up my spine.

• Options
    One of my favourite Spider-Man moments:

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087

Rick Grimes-The "We are the Walking Dead speach"

Ever since I've read that part I'm using the "we are the walking dead" in my daily life. 'Cause it's the truth! Nobody gets out of here alive!

8-X
  • Options
    More

Kitty Pryde - so many favorites with her - Excalibur "So help me if one more thing swallows me whole...", Astonishing - phased a BULLET THROUGH THE EARTH (also liked the "are you retarded" comment after she gave one of her patented Kitty-speeches to a student); the entirety of Kitty Pryde and Wolverine's mini-series

Supergirl - her finest hour was also her last. My world was never the same.

Wolverine - the adamantium is removed and the bone claws pop out...begging the question asked for the first time...wtf IS he?!?

Deadpool - goes back in time to take the role of Peter Parker. One of the best issues of comics - period! ("My God...TWO of them with that hair!")

• Options
    In Preacher, when Jesse catches Cassidy's fist and says (paraphrase) "you're just an animal that thinks he's a man".
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    ...I started on Batman in the early 90's.

So for me, it was when Batman took back the mantle from Azrael.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    There was a Punisher one-shot (i think) where the ending had Frank getting put in jail. The reveal was that Frank deliberately got caught in order to get to his final target who was previously "safe" behind bars.
    The Punisher wiping out the whole room of villains in Civil War.
    I may be alone but I loved the Inferno arc of Daredevil where he's near death laying in a landfill for what seemed to be days / issues.
    There was a scene in Detective Comics (90's "Mudpack" storyline I believe?) The Police and or other officials are visiting the manor and Bruce learns of someone in danger. Bruce tells Alfred(?) "they can all follow me through the clock and right down into the cave for all I care... I'm leaving" (something like that). The point being he considered alot of things more important than his secret. I liked that.
    Batman offering to formally adopt Dick Grayson.
    Batman admitting to RFG Ten that she was going to die and sitting with her till the end in JLU cartoon.
    Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman sitting together at the end of Kingdom Come in the restaurant. (Waitress-"Hi, Im Robin". Bruce- "sure you are").
    from the Griffin... "The world doesnt revolve around you!". "It would if I wanted it to".
    Many more im sure
  • Options
    "To me... MY GALACTUS!"

three years and two comic series all leading up to one single glorious moment
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    Though I'd never consider Thor a favorite character of mine, I'm surprised no one has mentioned:

"Ultron. We would have words with thee."

Just an amazing moment in comics.

Another amazing moment for me was that moment when Spidey was trapped in a net, staring down the barrel of Kraven's rifle, and realizes that he is actually going to do it. "Look at his eyes."

Immediately, in that moment, it lifted Kraven from a buffoon to a real threat.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    "To me... MY GALACTUS!"

three years and two comic series all leading up to one single glorious moment
    Amen.
  • Options
    My holy grail page to get is the moment where Thanos (during Infinity Gauntlet) just wiped out billions of people to please Death, and he's pointing it out to her: "Look! Look at what I have done to prove my love and devotion to you!"

She just gives him a look like "Sorry, not enough," and walks away.

Folks, that's marriage. :)
  • Options
    My holy grail page to get is the moment where Thanos (during Infinity Gauntlet) just wiped out billions of people to please Death, and he's pointing it out to her: "Look! Look at what I have done to prove my love and devotion to you!"

She just gives him a look like "Sorry, not enough," and walks away.

Folks, that's marriage. :)
    That was friggin awesome.

I loved when he just lifted his hand and snapped fingers, killing half the universe.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I loved when he just lifted his hand and snapped fingers, killing half the universe.
    Ah genocide. Now that's entertainment! ;)
  • Options
    I became a Colossus fan with the "I'm not made of steel I am made of rage" line

and now that he is the Juggernaut is both weird and awesome at the same time
  • Options
    Hey, look whose name I chose to represent myself on Comic Geek Speak. You shouldn't be surprised. ;)
  • Options
    Hey, look whose name I chose to represent myself on Comic Geek Speak. You shouldn't be surprised. ;)
    Good point.
  • Options
    Here's another:

Mary Marvel - in Ordway's brilliant Power of Shazam series, there's a scene where the Wizard confronts her shortly after she obtained her powers, and expresses his disappointment that she has them because he never intended for her to get them (implying either he doesn't think a woman can handle them or he just simply didn't think she was the right person for the job). She turns the tables on him and says she never wanted them in the first place but she has them, and she's not giving them up because she can do good with them, and help her long-lost brother out with them, and if he doesn't like that, he can go pack sand. Great scene that helped define the character for about a decade until DC decided to forget it entirely when Countdown started.

Zot! - too many good ones to mention. "Look what they've done to you," immediately springs to mind (as he comforts a gay character trying to come to terms with it). The scene with Woody and Jenny where she can't commit to either Zot or Woody and Woody delivers the hammer blow - "Well maybe you'd better find out."

The Maxx - "I'm through begging, Julie." One of the best scenes in comics. They even did it well in the animated version.

and for a webcomic moment, Megatokyo has this gem from formerly joke-character Largo: "Your game. Your rules. But I don't have to play." (A girl he genuinely has feelings for dismisses him as one more fanboy and asks if she'll sleep with him will he go away? As he delivers this line she realizes he wasn't just one more fanboy and did actually care about her.) It's one of the best moments in a great webcomic.

• Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    The first moment that comes to mind for me is regarding my favorite character, Wonder Woman. It was issue 5 of the phenomenal George Perez 80s Post-COIE reboot when Diana took off her tiara and used it as a boomerang to decapitate Ares’ son Deimos. My initial reaction was shock, immediately followed by one joyous geek out. It was Perez way of stating out right, ‘this woman IS an Amazon and she will kill you.’ Plus, the way Perez drew that moment; the panel to panel of the boomerang slicing through Deimos’ extended snake hair snare until it reaches its target and decapitates in silhouette was just outstanding.

Another one:
    "Ultron. We would have words with thee."
    Earth GBilly, I have to co-sign with you on that one. It’s truly a perfect moment. If Thor says that in the upcoming Avengers movie to Loki, I will totally lose it.

More to come. This is a great thread.
  • Options
    HellsfireHellsfire Posts: 89
    One of my favorite moments involves my favorite character, Thanos of Titan. In the much maligned Infinity Crusade, Thanos owes Mephisto a cosmic cube. Thanos keeps his promise but when Mephisto tries to kill Thanos, nothing happens.

Thanos says, "You never specified that you desired a functioning unit. Even devils should beware when bargaining with Thanos of Titan."

Another moment is when Thanos fights Odin in the Blood and Thunder series. I'm not much of a Thor fan, but I enjoyed that story. It is the ONLY time Thanos actually fights. In all his other stories, he's used his mind instead of his brawn. Thanos and Odin have a debate over which is better: scientifically acquired powers or heavenly ones and trash Asgard while they're at it.
  • Options
    Mr Hyde getting revenge on the invisible man for the latter's attack and rape of Mina Harker.

I remember when I read it for the first time I couldn't believe what I was reading
  • Options
    Mr Hyde getting revenge on the invisible man for the latter's attack and rape of Mina Harker.

I remember when I read it for the first time I couldn't believe what I was reading
    that was pretty damn intense