Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1454 Talkback - Spotlight on the X-Men in the 2000s

Our X-haustive X-egesis on the X-Men X-pires in this episode, covering the last seventeen years (1997-2013) of the first fifty years of of X-Men comics. The Geeks (along with 'gifted youngsters' Dani O'Brien and Jamie Hatton) offer their takes on Chris Claremont's attempted homecoming to the X-titles; the poignant-if-temporary death of Colossus; Grant Morrison's fan-polarizing New X-Men run; Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men; a cranium-creasing complement of crossover events, from 'Operation: Zero Tolerance' to 'House of M' to 'Messiah CompleX' to 'Avengers vs. X-Men'; and much more. The Spotlights have ended, but the Dream lives on! (2:08:45)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087

The Spotlights have ended, but the Dream lives on!

Listen here.

8->
  • Options
    Another series of note was Generation M. This followed Sally Floyd of the Civil War: Frontline title, as she tried to unravel who is trying to kill recently depowered mutants. The miniseries included a major fake-out, as we were led to believe Warren Worthington was left wingless post-House of M.

Turned out to be just an Image Inducer as he helped unravel the true plot. Generation M is also where we first discover that Jubilee, Chamber, Marrow, Beak, Stacy X, Dani Moonstar, and Blob have all lost their powers.

As for District X, I was a HUGE fan of the series. And even though I also enjoyed Cable later on, I am sad to see the Bishop I grew to love here was essentially wiped away by Messiah CompleX.
  • Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    edited January 2014
    Bless you all for attempting to navigate this nonsense. It was during the majority of this era that I had LONG since abandoned the X-books, primarily because they became far too unwieldy and numerous to keep up. It's good to see that I didn't miss much of quality.

Regarding the return of Kitty Pryde in Astonishing X-Men (which I have in trade), I have a memory of Magneto using his powers to somehow guide the bullet back to Earth so she could be saved. Beyond that, the details elude me.

I've not read "Deadly Genesis", but from what I've heard it is indeed a good story. I'll need to grab that. However, I have read some of the follow-up stories in trade, including the aforementioned "Rise and Fall of the Shi'Ar Empire", as well as "X-Men: Kingbreaker" in preparation for the WAR OF KINGS event (which is one of, if not my all-time favorite, stories. I'm a HUGE fan of Gladiator).
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited January 2014
    What a treat to wake up this morning and find this episode waiting for me. I've only had time to listen to the first 1/3 of it, but I may as well chime in with my 2 cents (err, 2/3s cent, so far?).

-Firstly, about X-Man: I heard that he appeared in the most recent New Mutants series as written by DnA. Before that he was indeed in that Dark X-Men mini-series, as Adam mentioned. And I never read the later, Ellis-penned issues of his solo series, but I have to give another shout out to the first 2-3 years of the title, which I think turned out pretty good. Jeph Loeb and Steve Skroce did a decent job laying the groundwork, and then Terry Kavanagh and Roger Cruz came on to do the best work of their career, imo. I know that Nate Grey is a groan-inducing character, but the first 30 or so issues of his own title were fairly good and self-contained.

-Aside from a couple decent tie-in issues (the Generation X stuff comes to mind), Operation: Zero Tolerance was a forgettable mess. This whole period of transitioning from Lobdell and Nicieza, to Seagle and Kelly, then back to Nicieza once Kelly leaves, was just a weird mess.

-Steven Seagle's work on Uncanny was alright. I think it read well on an issue-by-issue basis, but for whatever reason (possibly editorial) there was just nothing to really take away from the run. Nothing memorable. There was a mini-event called "The Hunt for Xavier", but it made no lasting impression on me. I was really torn by the art at the time, too. Chris Bachalo was the regular artist and he seemed to be transitioning between styles during this time. Some of the issues were gorgeous, while others showed all of the characters looking like squat, ugly children.

-The Alan Davis stuff. It's a shame, but I think this run could have been very good if it wasn't so... compromised on all sides. The beginning of Davis's stuff had the return of Magneto (along with Joseph), which seemed editorially forced and unsatisfying. And the end of his run seemed rushed; he had to hurry up and get his stories over in fewer issues than otherwise he would have had, all in order to clear the decks for Claremont's return. The result was things like the High Evolutionary storyline, which you guys mentioned, taking place in only two or three issues, all of which were CRAMMED with a ton of exposition and dialogue. They are long, hard, brutal reading experiences, which is a shame, because the core ideas of the stories were quite good. I feel that part of the problem came from the fact that Davis was only plotting, not scripting. It seemed as though editorial cycled through a series of scriptors without really caring how good the dialogue actually was... and often it was not good at all. I got the impression that the scriptors (Nicieza and Kavanagh) didn't really have their hearts in these stories, which is understandable if editorial was basically just jobbing the scripts out. On the other hand, particularly in the "X-Men" series, which Davis was not only writing but pencilling as well, we did get some VERY GOOD stuff: particularly the issues with Rogue, Mystique, Mastermind, Mesmero, and Sunfire, as well as the excellent arc with the Skrulls and Galactus. There were a FEW shining moments in Uncanny as well, particularly #375 and #376, which dealt with the "death" of Wolverine (before he returned as the Horseman Death) and the very start of the Twelve storyline. Most of The Twelve was horrible and underwhelming, but it started well, along with the underrated Astonishing X-Men mini-series, which had great art by Brandon Peterson. Anyway, that year or so of Alan Davis's reign was... very mixed and frustrating -- frustrating because there were glimmers of greatness.

-Claremont's (first) return was so bad that I've blocked it out from my memory, to the point that I'm not even sure how long I lasted on the titles before dropping them. I nearly shrieked when you mentioned the NEO. The horror... The HORROR...

-Re: Claremont's dated dialogue. To me it isn't even that he's stuck in 1989 or whatever, it's that he's doing an impression of what a fantasy writer from the early-to-mid-1980s would have characters sound like. It just seems like Claremont's characters speak from a level of reality that is not only antiquated but also... fantasy-based... and it's a type of fantasy that doesn't really match up with what would be there in any sort of contemporary Marvel Universe.

-The "road-trip" era of X-Force was indeed quite cool. Adam Pollina was a good choice for the title. I'm wondering whether you'll mention X-Statix before the episode is over.

That's all for now. I look forward to listening to the rest of this much-awaited deluxe episode later this week when I have more time. As is often the case, Adam's description text was creatively wonderful, but I have to give a bit of a stink-eye to the characterization of Morrison's run as polarizing. Of course, it was polarizing. But "Avengers Disassembled" and the start of "New Avengers" was at least as divisive, and you gave Bendis a pass there. In fact, you gave Bendis blanket praise for turning the Avengers franchise into a rolling series of event tie-ins. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy some of those comics (I did), but I think you kind of ignored the fact that a large contingent of fandom did not like what was going on over there. At least stories from Morrison's run routinely place in the top 5-10 X-stories of all time on CBR lists, whereas Bendis's Avengers stories don't show up nearly as high in comparable Avengers polls.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    first time after listening to "Spotlight" not having the urge to buy comics.... :(
  • Options
    Still working my way through, but a couple things I noticed concerning the Morrison years:

Regarding the Xorn confusion: The 2001 Annual, the one read sideways for the "widescreen" experience, introduced Xorn. Toward the end of Morrison's run, Xorn was revealed to be Magneto, who was later killed by Wolverine. At this point, it's cut and dry: Magneto pretended to be Xorn to infiltrate the school, caused havoc, and was killed.
    The confusion didn't begin until other writers got involved after the end of the Morrison run. In Excalibur (Vol. 3) Prof. X goes to Genosha to rebuild, and who shows up? Magneto. Then, I think in the Austen X-men run, Xorn shows up. There were loose attempts at explaining how Magneto was still alive, and how there was a Xorn at all (since he was supposed to be a facade,) but they all seemed to make it worse. I think by the time Bendis killed Xorn(2) in New Avengers, the story was that there were two Xorns. One went nuts, joined the x-men, pretended to "really" be Magneto, destroyed Manhattan, and was killed, while a benevolent Xorn was somewhere else. At the same time, the real Magneto was recovering from the attack on Genosha, to later aid Xavier in rebuilding. But even that explanation is largely ignored, or filed alongside "Peter and MJ's baby" and other bits we don't like.

Also, John Sublime showed up during the Morrison run, too. I think in the second or third arc. He was a living bacteria back then, too.

Great job, everyone!
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    edited January 2014
    Oh the Bishop and Deathbird side story was one of my favorites. It's a shame they didn't do much with the pair aside for a one shot. Team X 2000.

Bastion was actually the Nimord Mastermold hybridization that pulled into the Siege Perilous. The Perilous changed him into the human looking form.

As for District X, I was a HUGE fan of the series.

Oh yes! David Hine did an excellent job on that series!
    Thor_El said:

Regarding the return of Kitty Pryde in Astonishing X-Men (which I have in trade), I have a memory of Magneto using his powers to somehow guide the bullet back to Earth so she could be saved. Beyond that, the details elude me.

It happened around Uncanny X-Men 519...Magneto almost killed himself doing it to prove he was "with" the X-Men

The confusion didn't begin until other writers got involved after the end of the Morrison run. In Excalibur (Vol. 3) Prof. X goes to Genosha to rebuild, and who shows up? Magneto. Then, I think in the Austen X-men run, Xorn shows up. There were loose attempts at explaining how Magneto was still alive, and how there was a Xorn at all (since he was supposed to be a facade,) but they all seemed to make it worse. I think by the time Bendis killed Xorn(2) in New Avengers, the story was that there were two Xorns. One went nuts, joined the x-men, pretended to "really" be Magneto, destroyed Manhattan, and was killed, while a benevolent Xorn was somewhere else. At the same time, the real Magneto was recovering from the attack on Genosha, to later aid Xavier in rebuilding. But even that explanation is largely ignored, or filed alongside "Peter and MJ's baby" and other bits we don't like.

There was a really simple easy way to make everything gel. Wanda. During her breakdown in Avengers Disassembled she could have been the one bring Magneto back after his beheading making him "good" again. But no...Marvel really screwed the pooch with Xorn...and his twin brother (sigh) Xorn. Bendis turned the original Xorn into some kind of energy being made up of different powers that could possess people.

Other noteable series:
    Fabian Nicieza and Steve Skroce's Gambit...lol the Man of Steal
    EDIT: Attaboy Murd!
  • Options
    The Twelve goes waaay back to the early issues of X-Factor #13(?).

Destiny was killed by Xavier's son Legion.

Claremont's book history:
    X-Men & Uncanny X-Men
    X-treme X-Men
    Excalibur
    Uncanny X-Men
    New Excalibur
    Exiles (totally ruined the series IMO)
    New Exiles
    X-Men Forever

I will note that Uncanny X-Men #467-468 are one of my all time favorite stories. It's here that the Shi'ar Commando Squad wipe out Jean Grey's whole family line in literally 24 seconds while Rachel witnesses the whole thing.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Genosha- it wasn't known that Magneto survived the Sentinel attack.

The Cuckoos- are actually Weapon XIV

Scott Jean and Emma triangle- LEmma is a sex therapist and the beginnings of her and Scott's sessions was to help repair his marriage. How it fell apart from there was due to her actually falling in love with Scott.

Logan and Jean on Astroid M - they were being pulled into the Sun and Wolverine wanted to spare Jean by killing her. He didn't know that by killing her he would free the Phoenix.

The White Costumed Phoenix goes way back to Claremont's X-Men Classic back up story.

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    newway12 said:

I disagree with the supposition made in this spotlight that Morrison was the first writer to come up with the idea of overly mutated mutants. Isn't that what the whole idea of the Morlocks was all about?

You are correct, Sir!

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    There are plenty of people who think Morrison's run on X-Men is excellent, and it is odd to hear the CGS guys run it down so thoroughly. Holy crap.

Whedon's Astonishing X-Men is freaking fantastic, and I was also surprised to hear the lukewarm treatment of that title.

I agree with the X-Factor love.
  • Options
    Morrison's run on the series was what brought me back to the X-Men after a long abstinence. When I read the first couple of issues, my jaw just dropped. I hadn't read anything that good or mind-blowing in an X-title in years. Of course, when Morrison left, so did I...
  • Options
    Morrison...where do I start. The X-Men needed the shot in the arm. At that point the stories were getting stale and/or just bad. Whether people loved it or hated it his ideas jolted some life in the X-Men and gave future writers plenty to build on. I loved his stuff but I do admit it started to fall off near the end. I know he and Marvel had a falling out so by that time he was probably phoning it in. What really hurt me the most with his run was the inconsistent art.

Whedon- I love how Whedon reconciled the Morrison era in his first issue and moved right on to what he wanted to do. (They needed to dress like superheroes to "Astonish" the populace and how the black leather was making people uncomfortable. Colossus actually died and by ritual a Breakworld ritual Ord brought him back. The same thing happens to Kitty which is how they are able to bring her back from being stuck in ghost form.

The 198- I really hated this nomenclature, the 198 was the name the mutants that lived outside Mansion gave themselves. There was more closely something like 300 mutants.

Jean Grey actually did resurrect in the X-Men Phoenix Endsong mini series by Greg Pak and Greg (good art) Land. She left the Earth to gather the pieces of the shattered Phoenix Force.

Bishop is currently running around in Uncanny X-Force volume 2 they're in the process of reforming him.

• Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    Corwin said:

Jean Grey actually did resurrect in the X-Men Phoenix Endsong mini series by Greg Pak and Greg (good art) Land. She left the Earth to gather the pieces of the shattered Phoenix Force.

Corwin, I gathered the same thing from that mini-series which is why I was so very disappointed in the recent Avengers vs. X-Men series. If there ever was a great opportunity to bring back, in my opinion, the real Jean Grey (not the past version that’s currently in All-New X-Men), considering the trouble being caused by the separate parts of the Phoenix Force, that was it. As Dominique pointed out, Jean Grey has been gone a long time; for me personally, too long. I love this character. Her and Storm are my favorite X-Men; always have been. Considering her historical position in the Marvel Universe, I strongly felt her “death” at the hands of a Magneto wannabee was quite disrespectful; something I find myself still displeased at Grant Morrison about.

I heard that Joe Quesada announced at a convention a few years ago that there were plans to bring this version of Jean Grey back; they’re just looking for the right time. Well? What’s keeping them?

Aside from all that, once again another great Spotlight episode!
  • Options
    Dman said:

Corwin said:

Corwin, I gathered the same thing from that mini-series which is why I was so very disappointed in the recent Avengers vs. X-Men series. If there ever was a great opportunity to bring back, in my opinion, the real Jean Grey (not the past version that’s currently in All-New X-Men), considering the trouble being caused by the separate parts of the Phoenix Force, that was it. As Dominique pointed out, Jean Grey has been gone a long time; for me personally, too long. I love this character. Her and Storm are my favorite X-Men; always have been. Considering her historical position in the Marvel Universe, I strongly felt her “death” at the hands of a Magneto wannabee was quite disrespectful; something I find myself still displeased at Grant Morrison about.

I heard that Joe Quesada announced at a convention a few years ago that there were plans to bring this version of Jean Grey back; they’re just looking for the right time. Well? What’s keeping them?

I hate to disappoint you but I prefer her dead and gone. Maybe it's because I'm so pro Scott and Emma. It does suck that the retconned Magneto being the one to kill her. But if they did bring Jean back where would they take her? I wouldn't want to see her with Scott. Hell I wouldn't even want to see her with Logan.
  • Options
    Corwin said:

Dman said:

Corwin said:

I hate to disappoint you but I prefer her dead and gone. Maybe it's because I'm so pro Scott and Emma. It does suck that the retconned Magneto being the one to kill her. But if they did bring Jean back where would they take her? I wouldn't want to see her with Scott. Hell I wouldn't even want to see her with Logan.
    Well Corwin, I admit I'm being biased because I'm not an Emma fan, never was, and I've always considered Scott and Emma to be nothing more than a prolonged bootie call. With that said, for what it's worth, I never want Jean back with Scott but I would love to see her with Logan. The chemistry between them during the classic Age of Apocalypse was one of my favorite elements of that series and I've always hoped that Marvel would pick that back up in their regular timeline.

I've always seen Jean Grey as a valuable character. I know a lot of X-Men fans see her as a big old nothing in the character/personality department. I couldn't disagree more. I've always considered her to be the ultimate den mother/big sister of the X-Men and I thought her very balanced combination of kindness, courage, and fierce offensive opponent when needed was awesome. Plus, I've always been personally attracted to her combined power of telepathy/telekinesis. If (or when) she comes back, I really wouldn't want her at full, or even partial, Phoenix force. I would be just satisfied at the telepathy/tk power level she was at before re-obtaining the Phoenix Force in had in Morrison's X-Men.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    I got X-Men bless from Claremont's X-Men Forever & its sequel. Long live Claremont!

Matthew
  • Options
    Dman said:

Well Corwin, I admit I'm being biased because I'm not an Emma fan, never was, and I've always considered Scott and Emma to be nothing more than a prolonged bootie call. With that said, for what it's worth, I never want Jean back with Scott but I would love to see her with Logan. The chemistry between them during the classic Age of Apocalypse was one of my favorite elements of that series and I've always hoped that Marvel would pick that back up in their regular timeline.

I've always seen Jean Grey as a valuable character. I know a lot of X-Men fans see her as a big old nothing in the character/personality department. I couldn't disagree more. I've always considered her to be the ultimate den mother/big sister of the X-Men and I thought her very balanced combination of kindness, courage, and fierce offensive opponent when needed was awesome. Plus, I've always been personally attracted to her combined power of telepathy/telekinesis. If (or when) she comes back, I really wouldn't want her at full, or even partial, Phoenix force. I would be just satisfied at the telepathy/tk power level she was at before re-obtaining the Phoenix Force in had in Morrison's X-Men.

I agree she's a valuable character but I can't see her being here without Scott or the feeling that it should rightfully bring up. Battle of the Atom skillfully flirted with it and left it behind right where it should be.

I would even go so far as to say the O5 Jean is the perfect compromise of giving us Jean but leaving her life with Scott behind.
  • Options
    My girlfriend and I are planning on throwing a party to commemorate Jean being dead for ten years. :D
  • Options

My girlfriend and I are planning on throwing a party to commemorate Jean being dead for ten years. :D

Now that's just enough out of you Mr. Levenstein. :)

• Options

Cosplay?

Schism: While I can see Wolverine's side of things I still think Cyclops was right. Cyclops let the kids choose if they wanted to fight and with less than 300 mutants around they would always be a target so why not train them to fight?

AvX: I have to say the AvX Consequences is vital to the direction Cyclops took post AvX. While in prison Cyclops learns that certain businesses are looking to profit and build an economy from mutant detainment centers. And when the only other mutant in the prison is killed he decides that he needs to step things up for mutant rights.

I will agree with Jamie AvX could have been bigger if they truly balanced out both sides.

• Options
    Corwin said:

Claremont's book history:
    X-Men & Uncanny X-Men
    X-treme X-Men
    Excalibur
    Uncanny X-Men
    New Excalibur
    Exiles (totally ruined the series IMO)

I dropped this book many times only to pick it back up after an issue or two because I couldn't stay away... Claremont changed all of that for me. Three issues into his run I put it down, never looked back, never picked up an issue of New Exiles... He completely killed it for me. I was thrilled when Marvel brought it back and was so disappointed that the relaunch (I think it was written by Jeff Parker but I could be mistaken) only lasted 6 issues before getting axed.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited January 2014
    Like Shane, I wasn't thrilled by Morrison's New X-Men in single issues and quickly gave up, but I went back and read it in collected form shortly thereafter and loved it (for a while). The uniforms, the larger school environment, Cassandra Nova, the stuff with Fantomex, the Weapon X program revelations, even the secondary mutations (though that one came out of left field, very much a "well this is a thing now" sort of development)... dug it all.

That being said, I feel the same way about it that I feel about a lot of Morrison's Big 2 work that I've read: it gets off to a strong start but then it runs aground in the back half and never really recovers. I think in this particular case I thought it was solid all the way up through the arc where Emma was shot and Bishop came in to play detective, and after that it started a shaky descent to the finish, and then that future epilogue that just made no sense to me whatsoever and then was boring besides. I've retconned my own interpretation of the run to the point where I consider it's end point to be the death of Jean and that epilogue just doesn't even exist.

I think the biggest problem, though, was that it existed in a vacuum. Never mind the fact, uniforms aside, that it didn't jibe with what was going on in Uncanny (admittedly maybe that was for the best), it didn't play well in the rest of the Marvel Universe. The Xorn/Magneto revelation was a headscratcher:

"Magneto, YOU were Xorn? How?"
    "Because reasons! I throw bridge at you now!"

...but that he leveled Manhattan and not one other book or character in the entire Marvel universe was affected or made any reference to it? Given how insular the 616 is (and was even in the midst of Joe & Bill's "we just want good stories" edict), that was hard to swallow, and the backpedaling after the fact to explain all of that just made things worse. It would have worked if the X-Men existed in a vacuum, but again, Marvel has worked hard to make sure that has never been the case with any of their main line titles since year one.
  • Options
    The last episode made me curious to check out Peter David's initial X-Factor run, but my LCS didn't have a lot of it (I've enjoyed the issues I have read, though), so I figured I'd give his 2000s series a try.

I've plowed through the first 5 collections in the past few weeks and have 6 and 7 sitting on the To Read pile. Yeah, I'm a little obsessed... amazing book. I thank and blame you all! :D
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited January 2014
    I wanted more Chuck Austen bashing!! No in depth discussion of The Draco? Holy War ? Havok and Polaris "wedding?" Ugh, arrrggh!

:D
  • Options

The last episode made me curious to check out Peter David's initial X-Factor run, but my LCS didn't have a lot of it (I've enjoyed the issues I have read, though), so I figured I'd give his 2000s series a try.

I've plowed through the first 5 collections in the past few weeks and have 6 and 7 sitting on the To Read pile. Yeah, I'm a little obsessed... amazing book. I thank and blame you all! :D

@LibraryBoy You can get most of his original X-Factor run in the X-Factor Visionaries: Peter David series of trades. As for the new X-Factor, the Madrox miniseries and the first twelve issues of X-Factor are about to be collected in X-Factor by Peter David: The Complete Collection Volume 1. It'll be on InStock Trades I'm sure, and it's available for preorder on Amazon.
  • Options

@LibraryBoy You can get most of his original X-Factor run in the X-Factor Visionaries: Peter David series of trades. As for the new X-Factor, the Madrox miniseries and the first twelve issues of X-Factor are about to be collected in X-Factor by Peter David: The Complete Collection Volume 1. It'll be on InStock Trades I'm sure, and it's available for preorder on Amazon.
    I was impatient and saw that the first run of trades are still pretty easy to find so I've just been picking those up. :D I may upgrade to at least the first Complete Collection trade at some point, though, for the Madrox mini-series which I haven't been able to find yet. But thanks for the tip, @i_am_scifi!