Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Flash Fans REJOICE! {SPOILERS}

From a recent Bleeding Cool article:

Finally, a definitive answer to one of the biggest lingering questions of the New 52. USA Today’s Brian Truitt has the word on many, many things Flash for 2014, including the return of Wally West in Flash Annual #3 In April.

Flash alter ego Barry Allen, who plies his trade in the Central City police crime lab when not in his red costume, gets thrown into more procedural adventures when the new creative team of writers Robert Venditti and Van Jensen and artist Brett Booth debut in The Flash No. 30, out April 23.

A week later, they reintroduce Wally West, another guy who’s worn the Flash togs, into the DC Universein The Flash Annual No. 3

Comments

• random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I'm not rejoicing over that costume. I have a hard time distinguishing color sometimes but... Is that blue? Or purple/black? He should call himself The Bruise.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    random73 said:

I'm not rejoicing over that costume. I have a hard time distinguishing color sometimes but... Is that blue? Or purple/black? He should call himself The Bruise.

I think "The Purple-Nurple" will strike more fear into criminals.

M
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Wait. Did the Flash ever strike fear into criminals? This is kind of cool and I'm looking forward to seeing how Wally is introduced into the New 52.
  • Maybe he's been recreated as the Blue Streak?
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Will having a character named Wally West actually placate Wally West fans?

Nothing that made Wally West a great character is going to be carried over.
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    That's actually a good point. There are a lot of things about New 52 characters that didn't carry over so to think that we're going to get the same Wally West would be very naive. Having said that, I still want to see how the character will be in the New 52 and how he will be introduced. I'm still excited. Wally was always my Flash. I liked Barry a lot and he was my first Flash but I experienced Wally as the Flash from the ground floor and loved his journey so having him in the New 52 is exciting to me.
    WetRats said:

Will having a character named Wally West actually placate Wally West fans?

Nothing that made Wally West a great character is going to be carried over.

Excellent point. He could be Walter for all we know.

M
    jaydee74 said:

That's actually a good point. There are a lot of things about New 52 characters that didn't carry over so to think that we're going to get the same Wally West would be very naive. Having said that, I still want to see how the character will be in the New 52 and how he will be introduced. I'm still excited. Wally was always my Flash. I liked Barry a lot and he was my first Flash but I experienced Wally as the Flash from the ground floor and loved his journey so having him in the New 52 is exciting to me.

Wally's journey is completely negated.

This isn't the return of a character, it's the return of an Intellectual Property. It's a trademark renewal.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Maybe Flash Red and Flash Blue? DC does love their 90s after all.
    edited January 2014
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/01/13/the-flash-comic-book-series-tv/4357593/

Norm Rapmund is apparently the artist introducing Wally in Flash Annual #3. He did a great Iron Fist in the style of John Byfor me at C2E2 last April. Nice guy, I really enjoyed talking to him. I don't like that blue flash image but I don't think that's his work.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/01/14/wheres-wally-west-not-so-fast-flash-annual-3/

You know in the old continuity there was a future version of the Flash named Jon Fox that had a blue costume...just sayin'

http://boybluesdcu.blogspot.com/2009/01/john-fox-flash-of-future.html?m=1
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I'm so turned off by DC's new 52... meh.

I'm so turned off by DC's new 52... meh.

Oh I don't think you're in the minority there. But we continue to hope against all reason that our favorite heroes will triumph. When Geoff Johns says Forever Evil will change the DCNew52 I hope it isn't just hyperbole. I guess there is no changing back but at least push forecast to something else.
    FWIW, I have been a Wally West fan since the bronze age. And while I believe that Geoff Johns may be the only one able to do it, I'm far beyond hope. It's clearly Marvel's era, with Image and Valiant doing stellar work as well. Call me a cynic, but DC has really lost me on this new 52 deal.

FWIW, I have been a Wally West fan since the bronze age. And while I believe that Geoff Johns may be the only one able to do it, I'm far beyond hope. It's clearly Marvel's era, with Image and Valiant doing stellar work as well. Call me a cynic, but DC has really lost me on this new 52 deal.

yeah, i'm right there with you. thats why i'm hoping they push forward to something even newy-er and different-er. i figure if they keep changing the proverbial channel they have to eventually come to something i like.
    Haha. I get it. PLEASE let me know when they switch to something you can stomach. I'll peek back in then. Right now, all the DC I can take is in their Vertigo line.

Haha. I get it. PLEASE let me know when they switch to something you can stomach. I'll peek back in then. Right now, all the DC I can take is in their Vertigo line.

will do.
  • I loved that storyline
    random73 said:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/01/14/wheres-wally-west-not-so-fast-flash-annual-3/

You know in the old continuity there was a future version of the Flash named Jon Fox that had a blue costume...just sayin'

http://boybluesdcu.blogspot.com/2009/01/john-fox-flash-of-future.html?m=1

Don't know what color his costume is, but we probably know what color his skin is.

Bleeding Cool: A Black Wally West From DC Comics?

I'm so thrilled that another beloved character from my childhood is being altered to fit a more modern, politically correct mold. Aren't you? But wait, it just occurred to me... instead of changing old characters into different nationalities, why couldn't DC make some new characters that aren't white? Or is that too hard?

Oh well. It is what it is.

Pretty much my most common response to anything these days... "it is what it is."

But wait, it just occurred to me... instead of changing old characters into different nationalities, why couldn't DC make some new characters that aren't white?

Because it wouldn't shut up the fans crying for Wally West/Stephanie Brown/Donna Troy/whoever.

This will at least shut some of them up.

DC's not going back to the old DCU. It ain't gonna happen. Too many egos involved.

The legacy characters are boned.
    WetRats said:

DC's not going back to the old DCU. It ain't gonna happen. Too many egos involved.

Hence my being "over" DC in general. I will still pick up the occasional Vertigo book (Trillium, Fables, Sandman, et al) - but I'm pretty much done with DC proper. It's not just this, it's been a slow, methodical path of diminishing returns since the New 52 was launched, and even before that.

WetRats said:

Hence my being "over" DC in general. I will still pick up the occasional Vertigo book (Trillium, Fables, Sandman, et al) - but I'm pretty much done with DC proper. It's not just this, it's been a slow, methodical path of diminishing returns since the New 52 was launched, and even before that.
    Yep.

Don't know what color his costume is, but we probably know what color his skin is.

OTOH, I have no problem with this.

Absolutely nothing I liked about the Wests had to do with their being white.

If the quality of writing is on par with that of Arrow, I'm in.
    edited January 2014
    WetRats said:

OTOH, I have no problem with this.

Absolutely nothing I liked about the Wests had to do with their being white.

If the quality of writing is on par with that of Arrow, I'm in.
    This has me thinking about when Michael Clark Duncan was cast as Kingpin. At first, I thought they were fucking with the source material & didn't like it. The writer/director stated he was the best actor to bring the character to life. He was right.

If the actor in the TV series was the best person to big Wally to life isn't Caucasian, that's one thing. If all this was altered to make a racially diverse cast, then it sucks. That means the racial composite of the actor & character was too major of a factor.

It reminds me of how Alan Scott was deemed gay & Booster Gold Canadian. Its like when famous people are caught making slurs against a minority, then saying "it's okay/I didn't mean anything by it. I have a (insert minority) friend!"

Remember the Justice League cartoon? I think fans wanted Hal, but they accepted Stewart. Sure the character was altered, but they didn't make Hal or Kyle a minority to add diversity into the mix.

M
    Matt said:

If the actor in the TV series was the best person to big Wally to life isn't Caucasian, that's one thing. If all this was altered to make a racially diverse cast, then it sucks. That means the racial composite of the actor & character was too major of a factor.

I disagree.

I'm all for racially-diverse casts whenever possible.

The only way to get beyond tokenism is to cast as diversely as possible, so we get to the point we don't even notice.
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

I disagree.

I'm all for racially-diverse casts whenever possible.

The only way to get beyond tokenism is to cast as diversely as possible, so we get to the point we don't even notice.
    Yes & no. One of my favorite characters on LOST was Michael. If the character's description before auditions included "an African-American male" or "a minority male" then I have an issue with the whole character creation process. If the race of the character isn't addressed in the description & Harold Perrineau came in & nailed the part, then I don't see the issue with diversity.

If the actor best to play Wally isn't Caucasian, I can rationalize the difference from the source material. If they used a minority Flash instead of Wally, that'd be cool. When they start reworking characters to make the universe more diverse, I kind of have an issue. The reasoning behind the Is something I don't agree with.

M
    Sleepy Hollow makes good use of a diverse cast. The characters are who they are and we just kind of accept them. Michael Clarke Duncan was a solid Kingpin. but as a general I would prefer not changing existing characters. If Marvel or DC wants a more diverse universe hire a more divers group of writers & artists.

this is a great interview with Dwayne McDuffie on this very subject.

http://youtu.be/u16sKK-1oLQ