Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1456 Talkback: The CGS 'Best of 2013' Nominations Show

The nominations have been received and sorted, and the time has come to announce the contenders for the title(s) of Comic Geek Speak's 'Best of 2013'! Which comics and creators did we, the Geeks, and you, the Listeners, deem worthy of special recognition this year? Listen to this episode and you'll not only find out, but enjoy a year's worth of super-concentrated high-test comic talk into the bargain!

Gather your ballots, place your bets, and then listen to the show!

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    The first issue of Brian Wood's Star Wars did come out in 2012, that's why I didn't vote for it, otherwise I would have.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I'm winning :D
  • Options
    Greg said:

The first issue of Brian Wood's Star Wars did come out in 2012, that's why I didn't vote for it, otherwise I would have.

According to The ComicList Database, Star Wars #1 shipped on January 9, 2013. Shane's nomination stands! :)>-
  • Options

Greg said:

According to The ComicList Database, Star Wars #1 shipped on January 9, 2013. Shane's nomination stands! :)>-
    Confirmed by Dark Horse's website as well!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    My google-fu failed..back to the dojo I go. I really did believe otherwise, thought it came out in December. I also allowed myself to be confused because, how many publishers have the actual month of release down as the cover date? I'm glad the book got in with Shane's pick.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Greg said:

I think many of the CGS faithful thought the same as Greg. Even Shane suspected it was a 2012 book. It was definitely being promoted heavily in 2012! This may mean we can expect a strong showing from Brian Wood's Star Wars in official voting...

• Options
    great episode - but who's that sourpuss that took over JamieD :-/
  • Options

great episode - but who's that sourpuss that took over JamieD :-/

Jamie was having a bad day, so I certainly cut him some slack. We all have them, and occasionally it happens to be a day when you're in front of a microphone.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    Hey my friends! I haven’t finished listening to the episode but I did feel compelled to check out the first issue of Lazarus. Between the premise, your recommendations, and the fact that I consider Greg Rucka to be one of the best Wonder Woman writers ever, I felt that I had to check it out. I must say I’m quite intrigued and will read the other issues. I love it when I check out books based on the recommendations of my CGS peeps and end up really liking it. Thank you! :)
  • Options
    Jamie doesn't love the pizza dog issue (aka the second-best single comic ever made)?! This is the most upsetting thing I've heard on CGS since the shocking beatdown administered way back when to Animal Man #5 (aka the best single comic ever made).

Other than that, a most enjoyable – and useful – episode. For various reasons, I'm mostly off monthlies and am immersed in trades. Based on your recommendations I will definitely be adding Sex Criminals, Lazarus and Molly Danger to the list. So ta!
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    I think it was either Murd, or both Murd and Shane, that mentioned that the reason they're reading more Marvel than DC right now is because of the "creative ebb and flow" between the big 2 comic publishers. Is it just that or is it just because, well quite frankly, the New 52 reboot is just not all that? Granted, that's certainly my own personal opinion about the New 52 but I am aware that a lot of long time comic readers, particularly DC comic readers, feel the same way.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    JamieD, did you not like The Unwritten (main series) or JUST the OGN Tommy Taylor and the Ship That Sank Twice? I love The Unwirtten, but not feeling the OGN so much. It's a decent story and all, just not quite grabbing me like I thought it would.

Thanks for doing the show Murd and all the other Geeks, it was two hours of remembering 2013 joy!
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Great episode. It was nice to see Velvet getting some love. It's just as good as Brubaker and Epting's Cap run, imo. And I'm really gonna have to start reading Lazarus and Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Jamie doesn't love the pizza dog issue (aka the second-best single comic ever made)?! This is the most upsetting thing I've heard on CGS since the shocking beatdown administered way back when to Animal Man #5 (aka the best single comic ever made).

Ahhhhh! I still have trauma whenever anyone mentions *that* BOMC episode! :-)

But, eh, I liked the Pizza Dog issue but didn't think it was as good as a lot of folks made it out to be. It was cute but I just don't think the thought put into it, er, mattered all that much.
    Dman said:

I think it was either Murd, or both Murd and Shane, that mentioned that the reason they're reading more Marvel than DC right now is because of the "creative ebb and flow" between the big 2 comic publishers. Is it just that or is it just because, well quite frankly, the New 52 reboot is just not all that? Granted, that's certainly my own personal opinion about the New 52 but I am aware that a lot of long time comic readers, particularly DC comic readers, feel the same way.

I think the ebb-and-flow thing between Marvel and DC has been real, going back decades. But at the moment I think the creative pendulum has swung very, very far in Marvel's favor and I just don't see the New 52 line being strong enough to pull it back. The foundation they've built there with the new continuity just seems incredibly weak. I enjoyed plenty of New 52 books for the first 8 months or so, because everything seemed new and bold, with a lot of potential. But once the new continuity settled in as a status quo, it just seemed very inferior to what we had pre-Flashpoint. And all the creative shake-ups didn't help. I still like some DC books (particularly Swamp Thing), but I just don't see how DC ever gets the advantage again unless there are MAJOR creative, editorial, and possibly continuity shake-ups.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I wish Coipel was doing a Batman book!
  • Options
    Elsiebub said:

Dman said:

I think the ebb-and-flow thing between Marvel and DC has been real, going back decades. But at the moment I think the creative pendulum has swung very, very far in Marvel's favor and I just don't see the New 52 line being strong enough to pull it back. The foundation they've built there with the new continuity just seems incredibly weak. I enjoyed plenty of New 52 books for the first 8 months or so, because everything seemed new and bold, with a lot of potential. But once the new continuity settled in as a status quo, it just seemed very inferior to what we had pre-Flashpoint. And all the creative shake-ups didn't help. I still like some DC books (particularly Swamp Thing), but I just don't see how DC ever gets the advantage again unless there are MAJOR creative, editorial, and possibly continuity shake-ups.
    DC may get those editorial shake-ups over the next year and a half as their staff members decide whether they'll be moving to Burbank or not. Batman Group Editor Mike Marts has already made his decision and has left to join Marvel.

As for the ebb and flow, it seems to follow where the creators are more likely to be given the most freedom to create at any given time. In the ’60s and ’70s, it was at Marvel. In the late ’80s and early ’90s, it was at DC. Right now it is definitely at Marvel.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Thanks for fun episode! Hmm...sounds like I should read Saga (still haven't ordered any trades, even after last year!) and Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Hmm, with Sex Criminals, Velvet and Lazarus it seems like Mr. Wild Pig and I have some similar tastes. Plus, I live in Japan! (He's married to a Japanese woman, I think). I wonder if he likes Fatale by Brubaker and Phillips? Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting my votes in!
  • Options
    bought Breath of Bones: A Tale of the Golem after the show....you made me do it....
  • Options
    BillyBittsBillyBitts Posts: 1
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the show. The recommendations of certain Avengers and X-Men titles motivated me to pick back issues for titles that I read sporadically, as well as for the ones I didn't read at all.

Especially glad you turned me onto the all-female X-Men title. I avoided it because of being burnt by an (almost) all-female X-Men years and years ago (either late 80s or early 90s) where the X-Men consisted of 3 or 4 females and Longshot (what a pimp). I didn't like that team at all, and figured I wouldn't like the new one. (Plus, I was never really crazy about Wood's writing.) Oh, how wrong I was.

Also going to check out the Shi'ar Empire arc.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Thanks for the show. The recommendations of certain Avengers and X-Men titles motivated me to pick back issues for titles that I read sporadically, as well as for the ones I didn't read at all.

Especially glad you turned me onto the all-female X-Men title. I avoided it because of being burnt by an (almost) all-female X-Men years and years ago (either late 80s or early 90s) where the X-Men consisted of 3 or 4 females and Longshot (what a pimp). I didn't like that team at all, and figured I wouldn't like the new one. (Plus, I was never really crazy about Wood's writing.) Oh, how wrong I was.

Also going to check out the Shi'ar Empire arc.

Welcome aboard!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Just started listening this morning, but I have to say... THANK YOU for having alternates ready to go if your original 1st place pick was chosen by someone else! I understand we all have our favorites and want to stand by them, but it always bugged me in those years when everyone would pick Geoff Johns as favorite writer and then there'd be maybe one other choice and that was it. It bugged me almost as much as when Previews kept winning Best Publication About Comics. :D
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Just started listening this morning, but I have to say... THANK YOU for having alternates ready to go if your original 1st place pick was chosen by someone else! I understand we all have our favorites and want to stand by them, but it always bugged me in those years when everyone would pick Geoff Johns as favorite writer and then there'd be maybe one other choice and that was it. It bugged me almost as much as when Previews kept winning Best Publication About Comics. :D

Agreed!

(Just clicking the button didn't seem like enough in these cases)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    It just isn't the same without a Previews nomination...
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    I'm not sure JH Williams actually left Batwoman with 'a lot of class'. I seem to remember that he went all over Twitter and his blog and badmouthed his editors. I generally agreed with his criticisms, but thought his moderate tantrum was a little unprofessional. I wish he stayed on the book even though Kate's proposal seemed to come out of nowhere.

Charles Soule should win Breakthrough Talent by a landside.

Very much looking forward to the results show.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Mr_Cosmic said:

indeed

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Ughhh I can't complain about anything ths year.... wait yep found something WHAT STILL NO WEBCOMICS? only half joking about that.

I enjoyed the episode guys. I guess I need to vote.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I'm really going to have to read Lazarus.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    So have we ever had confirmation from Paul Pelletier himself that his last name is pronounced Pell-uh-tee-ay? The guy's from Maine like me (though I seem to recall he's from the Portland area, where as I'm from Bangor), and as many people as I knew growing up there who came from French Canadian ancestry, all of the Pelletiers I knew always pronounced it Pell-uh-teer.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210

So have we ever had confirmation from Paul Pelletier himself that his last name is pronounced Pell-uh-tee-ay? The guy's from Maine like me (though I seem to recall he's from the Portland area, where as I'm from Bangor), and as many people as I knew growing up there who came from French Canadian ancestry, all of the Pelletiers I knew always pronounced it Pell-uh-teer.

When it comes to my mispronunciations of names this one falls back to a Hockey player of the same last name that they pronunced the same way I do, as normal with these things I am probably wrong
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    mwhitt80 said:

I'm really going to have to read Lazarus.

This.

It's rrreeeaaalllyyy good!
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    JamieD said:

When it comes to my mispronunciations of names this one falls back to a Hockey player of the same last name that they pronunced the same way I do, as normal with these things I am probably wrong
    Don't worry @JamieD, I say it the same way you do! I'm sure if we are saying it wrong Paul would forgive since you nominated him for an award!