Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comments

• Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    The CW may be developing The Flash for a new TV series.

comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=46987

Given the CW's knack for indirect titles, this will likely be called Feet.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Given the CW's knack for indirect titles, this will likely be called Feet.

Yeah, my first thought was what will The CW call this? Speed Force?

He certainly wont call himself The Flash on the show..cuz that's not cool..some newspaper will dub him that in a headline.

I'm interested to see what they do. I like the Flash and generally enjoyed the previous show on CBS. I just hope they don't use the Jim Lee modified costume.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited July 2013
    I think the CW could develop a show based on my own life and I wouldn't watch it.

Because it is the CW.

(I will own it: I am a TV snob. Having very little TV time these days helps.)

That said, I hope they succeed. Sometimes I think TV is an even better place for superhero stories than movies, as there is more chance of getting past the origin story and onto different things. And I know a lot of people have liked Arrow, and liked Smallville, so may they enjoy this, too.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    David_D said:

I think the CW could develop a show based on my own life and I wouldn't watch it.

Because it is the CW.

(I will own it: I am a TV snob. Having very little TV time these days helps.)

That said, I hope they succeed. Sometimes I think TV is an even better place for superhero stories than movies, as there is more chance of getting past the origin story and onto different things. And I know a lot of people have liked Arrow, and liked Smallville, so may they enjoy this, too.

I agree. My CW version would almost a foot taller, ripped, with shaggy, almost unkept hair. The supporting cast would be working part time modeling in Abercrombie & Finch.

Since "The Blur" was used by Smallville, he'll probably be The Streak, Zoom-Zoom, The Mirage, Crimson Runner, or The Wizzer.

M
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I love love love Arrow. One of the few reasons I maintain my Hulu account, and I'll probably pick up the DVD set when they release it eventually. It gives a wink and a nod to all the stuff I loved about Green Arrow when I was reading it (Eddie Fyers, Shado, etc.) while admittedly making it palatable to its CW audience (young beautiful kids doing what young beautiful kids do (talk each other to death)). :)

If they can give me something on that level that showcases the Flash...I'm in.
    Which, of course, begs the question: which Flash?

Not Jay, I'm sure.

Most likely Barry, to maintain a link to the New52 comics. But I think they're missing a bet by not using Wally.
  • chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I feel like they're selling themselves short. Not that I don't think it would make a good show, but if DC is looking to expand their movie properties, Flash would seem to be a character you'd reserve for that. Once you get past Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman, there are only a handful of DC characters known by the general public. I thought the same thing when they were making that ill-fated Wonder Woman show.
    Apparently it will be Barry... and he will be introduced in an episode of Arrow this next season; they're planning to spin the Flash show off from Arrow.

hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/flash-series-arrow-producers-works-595486
    I wonder if they're not making moves to tie it all in together in the Justice League movie. Is there a rule that television characters can't also appear in movies (I know sometimes shows will become movies or have a movie to wrap everything up, but I'm talking about a character showing up in a movie while their show is also running) ?

Could be a neat thing to have Superman and Batman with movies...possibly a Green Lantern in there (Reynolds doesn't have to play Hal, right?)...and then have Flash and Green Arrow (aka Arrow) show up...all with the design to introduce Wonder Woman to the big screen.

I know, I know...and then I wake up. :)
  • chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Torchsong said:

I wonder if they're not making moves to tie it all in together in the Justice League movie. Is there a rule that television characters can't also appear in movies (I know sometimes shows will become movies or have a movie to wrap everything up, but I'm talking about a character showing up in a movie while their show is also running) ?

Could be a neat thing to have Superman and Batman with movies...possibly a Green Lantern in there (Reynolds doesn't have to play Hal, right?)...and then have Flash and Green Arrow (aka Arrow) show up...all with the design to introduce Wonder Woman to the big screen.

I know, I know...and then I wake up. :)

It sounds great in theory, but I always assume TV and movies will remain separate, simply because the logistics of doing both at the same time make things too difficult. And Hollywood still has a mentality of "why would audiences pay to see what they can watch for free at home?" Things have loosened up some, but for every actor that breaks out of TV (Clooney, Carell), there are probably a dozen Duchovnys.
    tazmaniak said:

More from the writers.

The Hollywood Reporter

All right! Now I am pumped! Sounds like they're doing the character right! I only hope the costume is the original Infantino model... and that he uses a ring to store it in!
  • luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    Based on that Hollywood Reporter article, the end of it, I hope that they do Flash's running like they did Superman's in Man of Steel.
  • I kinda stopped watching Arrow during the Huntress episodes. I had planned to catch it when it made it to Netflix, but this gives me a reason to start watching next season. I'm glad Johns is on the show and I hope they go all out sci-fi weird with it. Talking gorillas, speed-force, time travel, dimension hopping, the rogues... We already have Arrow for a more grounded take on superheroes. Lets see one that is spectacular without being campy.
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

I kinda stopped watching Arrow during the Huntress episodes. I had planned to catch it when it made it to Netflix, but this gives me a reason to start watching next season. I'm glad Johns is on the show and I hope they go all out sci-fi weird with it. Talking gorillas, speed-force, time travel, dimension hopping, the rogues... We already have Arrow for a more grounded take on superheroes. Lets see one that is spectacular without being campy.

If CW allows this, I will watch it. I'll even deal with the obligatory soup opera crap.
  • rebis said:

I kinda stopped watching Arrow during the Huntress episodes. I had planned to catch it when it made it to Netflix, but this gives me a reason to start watching next season. I'm glad Johns is on the show and I hope they go all out sci-fi weird with it. Talking gorillas, speed-force, time travel, dimension hopping, the rogues... We already have Arrow for a more grounded take on superheroes. Lets see one that is spectacular without being campy.

If CW allows this, I will watch it. I'll even deal with the obligatory soup opera crap.
    Arrow is a big steamy average turd, it will probably never be what the two of you want. It is the lightest, fluffiest entertainment to ever exist.

rebis said:

Arrow is a big steamy average turd, it will probably never be what the two of you want. It is the lightest, fluffiest entertainment to ever exist.
    I tried an episode of Arrow. The flashbacks and fights are interesting. The rest ... oof ... I just can't take that crap. I would rather have someone tie me to a chair Clockwork Orange style with nothing but Bachelor/Bachelorette & Big Brother on the tele.
  • rebis said:

Hence why I stopped watching Arrow 7-8 episodes in. But I can dream can't I?
  • The show is just the most frustrating thing on television. It could be so good in another life, but always seems to take the soap opera way out.
  • Lucky for me, I suppose, that I enjoy the show so much, in spite of the little soap opera moments.
  • PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    I love all the downvotes for people complaining about the soap elements. Its so true. Its why I had to turn off Smallville after 1 season. I've heard I should give it another try but.... I don't know.
  • Frankly, of all the things I might complain about -- or have complained about -- I find the soap opera elements to be the least objectionable thing about the show -- and I don't find all that much to be objectionable. (A few things here and there, maybe, like Oliver's willingness to take lives.) Sure, I might wish they'd dial it back a bit, but I don't find them all that objectionable. They're sure not getting in the way of the action or the character development. For a superhero show, Arrow has been pretty decent thus far. I haven't missed an episode, and I'm even watching the summer reruns.

I was on Comic Timing's podcast the other day (cheap plug) and we talked briefly about the Flash series. My take on it was that to make the Flash work you have to bring in the Rogues and you have to do them right. He's got such a diverse and fun bunch of adversaries that simply can't be ignored. The first series gave us a Trickster and a Captain Cold...this new series shouldn't ignore that, and I don't think it will.

As to Arrow, I dig it. Yeah, there's soap opera elements to it. There's also much butt-kicking action going on, new characters I'm interested in, enough love thrown back to the Mike Grell days to keep this old man happy, and John Barrowman! :)

• Torchsong said:

The first series gave us a Trickster and a Captain Cold...

And a Mirror Master! (I've just been rewatching my DVD set of the series.)

Torchsong said:

The first series gave us a Trickster and a Captain Cold...

And a Mirror Master! (I've just been rewatching my DVD set of the series.)

And, if you can pour Joyce Hyser into a harlequin suit, that would be good too.

leave me alone, I'm old.
  • Torchsong said:

I was on Comic Timing's podcast the other day (cheap plug) and we talked briefly about the Flash series. My take on it was that to make the Flash work you have to bring in the Rogues and you have to do them right. He's got such a diverse and fun bunch of adversaries that simply can't be ignored. The first series gave us a Trickster and a Captain Cold...this new series shouldn't ignore that, and I don't think it will.

As to Arrow, I dig it. Yeah, there's soap opera elements to it. There's also much butt-kicking action going on, new characters I'm interested in, enough love thrown back to the Mike Grell days to keep this old man happy, and John Barrowman! :)

I wish I could hate the show more, but you are absolutely right. Arrow is incredibly respectful to the source material that came before. It also constantly references the way cool Grell run on the island, and who does not love BIG BELLY BURGER. I wish this show did not have the other issues though.
  • Torchsong said:

I wish I could hate the show more, but you are absolutely right. Arrow is incredibly respectful to the source material that came before. It also constantly references the way cool Grell run on the island, and who does not love BIG BELLY BURGER. I wish this show did not have the other issues though.
    To be honest, the show had me when the guy introduced himself as Eddie Fyers.

After that, I was in for the long haul. :)
  • tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    TV Line's Matt Webb Mitovich gives a scoop on what brings Barry to Starling City.

TVLine
    I am beyond geeking out over the Arrow/The Flash crossover/spin-off news. Anything more to report? –Charlotte

I’ve got fresh intel on exactly what brings Central City PD CSI Barry Allen to Oliver’s orbit. The would-be speedster travels (not by foot, I assume) to Starling City while investigating a series of brutal slayings that he believes may have a connection to his mother’s years-ago murder — a crime for which his father has been unjustly imprisoned.