Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1459 Talkback - Comic Talk

The Geeks take a little time to catch up on correspondence, review some recent comics news, react to a few celebrity obituaries, and just enjoy each other's company. Join them, won't you? They're lonely. (1:32:54)

Listen here.

Comments

• Well I guess potential Muddlers think alike! And read the same titles. :)>-
  • Murd:

Posted on another thread that I'm having trouble downloading this via iTunes (actually via an android app that pulls podcasts off itunes). I'm able to download other previous CGS pods, but not this one. Any chance you can reload it on itunes? (if that's even a thing)
  • finally! some love for DC!!! I totally agree about an series from pre-new 52 that should come back: Suicide Squad!!! I'm glad they brought back Wally West, and I'd love to see a new Donna Troy as well. Be great if Donna Troy could be Diana's actually sister (same father, different mother kind of situation). Perhaps Donna could be the new Artemis?
  • Murd:

Posted on another thread that I'm having trouble downloading this via iTunes (actually via an android app that pulls podcasts off itunes). I'm able to download other previous CGS pods, but not this one. Any chance you can reload it on itunes? (if that's even a thing)

@TheOriginalGMan I was having the same problem. Try deleting the episode from iTunes, then reload the feed. I think the link got sent out early before it was actually live, which caused the issue.

This morning I was able to download it from the Podcasts app on my iPod Touch sans issues, so I'll assume that iTunes now has the correct link associated.
  • ias:

Much thanks for the advice. Through the magic of the intergoogle the glitch appears to have straightened itself out though and it has now successfully downloaded.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Through the magic of the intergoogle the glitch appears to have straightened itself out though and it has now successfully downloaded.

Same for me. I saw it this morning and started to download it but kept getting "retry" notifications. Seems cleared up now. Thanks for some rapid fire episode releases lately CGS crew. I look forward to finishing the Previews podcast today and then jumping on this one tomorrow or Thursday.
  • ias:

Much thanks for the advice. Through the magic of the intergoogle the glitch appears to have straightened itself out though and it has now successfully downloaded.

I take it back. When I went to listen to it later in the day, there was nothing there. Now back to same problem as before where ti won't download. Gonna have to write this one off, I'm afraid.

RE: Muddle the Murd theme song.

"The sweet anthem of anal-retentiveness." @Adam_Murdough

Classic.

Thanks guys.
  • ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Wow, if some of you Geeks haven't read "Batman: The Black Mirror" you really should do yourselves a favor. I'm basically a Snyder detractor/nit-picker, but even I consider 90% or so of that storyline to be flat-out awesome.

About the comic shop stuff: I too often hear these stories about clerks making fun of customers' purchases and pull-lists. Actually, I should qualify that statement to say that I read about such incidents online but have never actually heard anyone in real life tell me about such a thing, nor have I had it happen to myself. On the one hand, I think that maybe certain people (especially those prone to profuse complaining on the internet) are oversensitive and could be misinterpreting some slight good-natured ribbing as blatant harassment. On the other hand, people these days seem more callous than ever. So probably some of this phenomenon is due to oversensitivity on the part of some customers, and part of it is due to callousness and just plain rudeness on the part of some clerks. But even if the clerks are just kidding around or whatever, they should still have the sense to pick up on any offense taken and apologize.

RE: Muddle the Murd theme song.

"The sweet anthem of anal-retentiveness." @Adam_Murdough

I caught that too. LOL!

• Had to go "Plan C" and download this podcast directly from the CGS website.

Here ya go, boys ... just for you:

http://youtu.be/YSL2ED-JrWE

We were cold and soaking wet and lost out in a storm
    We went inside a spooky house just hoping to get warm
    The dusty clock said half past six, we knew that it was wrong
    When we set the hands to twelve the clock began to gong

We found a friend, friend, friend in Funky Phantom
    He'll pop right in just when you need him most
    And Boo will too, and you can't do without 'em
    That cat and that Funky Phantom ghost!
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    @Adam_Murdough is totally correct, I am up definitely up for guesting on a One Piece episode.

I'd do a Monkey Punch one too :D
  • Finished the episode. Psyched to hear "Avengers Forever" has tentatively been placed on the docket for March.

(Btw, anyone else think the chick from Funky Phantom was totally hot?)

Psyched to hear "Avengers Forever" has tentatively been placed on the docket for March.

Ditto!
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Expanding on the Legion email, the D&A Legion was actually the extension of the post Zero Hour Jughead Legion (made interesting) which ended with Legion of the Damned and was followed up with Legion Lost and Legion Worlds before ultimately being published as The Legion. I can't speak to Levitz's involvement in the cancellation of The Legion - I would have gladly read more of that title, but it had far more in common with the beloved Legion of Levitz's glory days than the Giffen-Bierbaum 5YL Legion (which I quite enjoyed) or the Waid-Kitson Three-boot Legion (which was visually stunning, but I found lacking).
  • hauberk said:

the post Zero Hour Jughead Legion

Say what?

hauberk said:

Say what?

5YL Legion rebooted during Zero Hour to something that should come out of Riverdale... it's commonly referred to as the Archie Legion, but from my perspective Jughead was a far more appropriate character choice to define it.
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited February 2014
    I am soooo disappointed. If it turned out there was a Legion of Superheroes arc/series where they met Archie, Jughead and the rest of the gang from Riverdale ... ? Well, money would be no object in my quest to track that down.
    aka the "Melrose Legion"
  • hauberk said:

Say what?

Yeah, I have problems with that designation too. I just refer it to it as the post-Zero Hour Legion, which should have been done a few years earlier as the real post-Crisis Legion. It was a good run and an interesting re-do of Legion history. I know I enjoyed it, and I was sad when it finally came to an end.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    @JamieD Thanks for the shout-out, sir! I have to admit, though... I haven't read much more than the first part or two of the relaunched Shazam because it didn't leave a good first impression on me (also, I wasn't going to shell out $4 for Justice League just to get the Shazam stories). However, the way you and Adam have talked this up I may have to cave and check out the trade. I've accepted I'm not likely to get "my" Marvel Family back, but I'm not opposed to new takes if they're good (or at least better than what they were doing with the Marvels in the 5-10 years preceding the New 52... in the words of Jackie Gleason, oooooof.)

As for character returns we haven't yet seen in the New 52, I'd love to see them bring Ralph and Sue Dibny back finally. Given the popularity of Sherlock Holmes in 3 entirely different takes on the material in the past few years (Sherlock, Elementary, and the Robert Downey Jr. Holmes movies), I think a book about a superpowered consulting detective would be interesting and could hopefully find an audience. And Sue could be bumped up from background character/retroactive plot device to becoming a more active participant, the Watson to Ralph's Holmes.

I'd read it, anyway.

hauberk said:

Say what?

Yeah, I have problems with that designation too. I just refer it to it as the post-Zero Hour Legion, which should have been done a few years earlier as the real post-Crisis Legion. It was a good run and an interesting re-do of Legion history. I know I enjoyed it, and I was sad when it finally came to an end.
    I'll respectfully disagree. Vol. 2 of Legion, even with Laurel Kent and the mind boggling Millenium tie-in was, IMO, infinitely superior and far and away more interesting than the Jugheads. The Legion had been allowed, almost from the beginning to address serious issues, as were referenced in the letter read on the episode and the continued to address more serious issues all the way up to Crisis and beyond. The Jugheads were basically "Ultimate" Legion, before Bendis and co. came up with the title. I think that's OK as a What If or an Elseworlds, but I was not at all interested in the idea of effectively retelling the choice story beats but with a new twist when it was Legion or when it was Spidey.

I'll confess that there appear to have been some interesting characters that ultimately came out of it, Gates, for instance, had just made his entrance when I bailed on the book but so much of it was a rehash that I was looking at Legion On the Run with nostalgia. I liked what I saw of the new characters when I returned to the team with Legion Lost.

Ultimately, I'm working on filling in my gaps during that era, when I can find the books cheap so that I can read the entire build up to a Legion of the Damned / Legion Lost. I hope to be pleasantly surprised because that era has already been such a disappointment.
  • hauberk said:

hauberk said:

Say what?

I'll respectfully disagree. Vol. 2 of Legion, even with Laurel Kent and the mind boggling Millenium tie-in was, IMO, infinitely superior and far and away more interesting than the Jugheads. The Legion had been allowed, almost from the beginning to address serious issues, as were referenced in the letter read on the episode and the continued to address more serious issues all the way up to Crisis and beyond. The Jugheads were basically "Ultimate" Legion, before Bendis and co. came up with the title. I think that's OK as a What If or an Elseworlds, but I was not at all interested in the idea of effectively retelling the choice story beats but with a new twist when it was Legion or when it was Spidey.

I'll confess that there appear to have been some interesting characters that ultimately came out of it, Gates, for instance, had just made his entrance when I bailed on the book but so much of it was a rehash that I was looking at Legion On the Run with nostalgia. I liked what I saw of the new characters when I returned to the team with Legion Lost.

Ultimately, I'm working on filling in my gaps during that era, when I can find the books cheap so that I can read the entire build up to a Legion of the Damned / Legion Lost. I hope to be pleasantly surprised because that era has already been such a disappointment.
    Yeah, and I'll respectfully disagree with all that. I thought the post-Crisis Legion -- specifically, the 'five years later' incarnation -- was the very antithesis of anything the Legion was about. They were no longer teens, the overall theme was dark and joyless, the future no longer looked like a place of wonder but more like a time of dread, the stories ran on and on and much of the time the team was anything but heroic... I endured it for about a year waiting for a turning point that never came and then I gave up on it altogether until Zero Hour came along. I thought the Valor book was the more interesting Legion spin-off of that era, moreso than the Legion. After all of that darkness, the emergence of the post-ZH Legion was a sudden gasp of fresh air, and I loved it for returning to its roots.

edited February 2014

hauberk said:

hauberk said:

Say what?

Yeah, and I'll respectfully disagree with all that. I thought the post-Crisis Legion -- specifically, the 'five years later' incarnation -- was the very antithesis of anything the Legion was about. They were no longer teens, the overall theme was dark and joyless, the future no longer looked like a place of wonder but more like a time of dread, the stories ran on and on and much of the time the team was anything but heroic... I endured it for about a year waiting for a turning point that never came and then I gave up on it altogether until Zero Hour came along. I thought the Valor book was the more interesting Legion spin-off of that era, moreso than the Legion. After all of that darkness, the emergence of the post-ZH Legion was a sudden gasp of fresh air, and I loved it for returning to its roots.

They were no longer teens by the time Crisis happened. Well before Crisis:

*Lightning Lad died
    *The rest of the team was prepared to sacrifice themselves so that Lightning Lad could be resurrected.
    *Triplicate Girl loses one of her selves at the hands of Computo
    *Ferro Lad had sacrificed himself to save the galaxy
    *Duplicate Girl and Bouncing Boy married and left the team
    *Cosmic Boy developed a stalker
    *Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad married, had kids, had a kid stricken with an obscure illness and had kidnapped
    *Chemical King makes his appearance and dies
    *Invisible Kid dies
    *Element Lad is the sole survivor of planetary genocide
    *Braniac 5 goes insane.
    *Braniac 5 causes Matter Eater Lad to go insane
    *Darkseid
    *Projectra and Karate Kid get married.
    *The UP is a scary enough place that they create not one but two different prison planets - entire planets devoted to containing the rough things intent on doing harm to the innocent.
    *Earth War
    *Karate Kid dies - Projectra responds by executing his killer with her bare hands.

I'm fairly sure that only the last item occurs in the Baxter run, though it was well before Crisis. The Legion characters had been maturing for at least a decade leading up to Crisis. That's one of the things that I loved about them - I was exposed to them with my uncles comics going back to the Adventure Comics days but the books that I was buying and reading had the characters maturing even as I was maturing. More importantly, they faced serious issues - people died - and they carried on.

Granted, it was still a fairly shiny, happy future... definitely a happier future than what occurred in 5YL, but it wasn't all rainbows and unicorns. Were it, there would have been no story. 5YL was an extreme extension of the more mature concept, but that trend was happening throughout comics at that point in history. This is the same period where we're getting Return of the Dark Knight, Watchmen, the Punisher has been transitioned from villain to protagonist, Nick Fury is at war with his own organization. 5YL was a pretty apt reflection of the cynicism of the late 80's - early 90's. It wasn't optimistic, but it was some damned good story telling within the confines of that cynicism.

Post-Zero Hour, may have brought back the bright and shiny, but the cynicism was still there - it was just masked behind the brighter colors - this is the period were they're actually discussing merchandising and PR and that we're seeing the rise of groups like the Workforce. Yet at the same time, we're being forced to relive many of the same origin stories and trials and tribulations of the past but with, IMO, lesser craft applied.
  • Two books I would like to see are Adam Strange and Kamandi. Would really love a continuation of what they did in the Wednesday Comic format with Dave Gibbons and Ryan Sook doing Kamandi and a Paul Pope doing an Adam Strange-Strange Adventures comic. Guess what I am really looking for is adventure and space, a regular Flash Gordon type of comic book. Those two books really hit the spot for me.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited February 2014
    FuzzySilk said:

Two books I would like to see are Adam Strange and Kamandi. Would really love a continuation of what they did in the Wednesday Comic format with Dave Gibbons and Ryan Sook doing Kamandi and a Paul Pope doing an Adam Strange-Strange Adventures comic. Guess what I am really looking for is adventure and space, a regular Flash Gordon type of comic book. Those two books really hit the spot for me.

Welcome aboard, @FuzzySilk!
  • Thanks @David_D! But I have been a lurker for a long time and I use to be a forum member on a few of the old forums. Been meaning to sign back up and try to become more involved.
    David_D said:

FuzzySilk said:

Two books I would like to see are Adam Strange and Kamandi. Would really love a continuation of what they did in the Wednesday Comic format with Dave Gibbons and Ryan Sook doing Kamandi and a Paul Pope doing an Adam Strange-Strange Adventures comic. Guess what I am really looking for is adventure and space, a regular Flash Gordon type of comic book. Those two books really hit the spot for me.

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    FuzzySilk said:

Thanks @David_D! But I have been a lurker for a long time and I use to be a forum member on a few of the old forums. Been meaning to sign back up and try to become more involved.

David_D said:

FuzzySilk said:

Cool. Welcome back!
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    FuzzySilk said:

Thanks @David_D! But I have been a lurker for a long time and I use to be a forum member on a few of the old forums. Been meaning to sign back up and try to become more involved.

Welcome back.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Nice just to sit back, relax, do my grading and listen to some Comic Talk. I really don't have much to say about this episode. Comics I'd like to see in the New52?: I don't know if they still own these properties or not, but I'd like to see either Top Ten or maybe even Planetary. Probably both could take place on 'other Earths.' Good job in not being muddled on the second question Murd, especially after being frustratingly wrong with the previous question. Okay, that's all folks...
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    Comic Binding Company Thread on the CGS forums

I personally use Herring and Robinson and they get two thumbs up.
    Here's a thread for them from another forum.

There is also a gallery of my books from them on the CGS forums.
    ...which I need to update.