Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

CGS West Coast Assemble - we got swag (part deux)!

I'm resurrecting what was a fairly popular thread with mostly the Bay Area CGS coterie, but it's always been open to all West Coast affiliates (and others for that matter). Feel free to use this thread to discuss CGS West Coast meet-ups, comic conventions, store signings, FCBD crawls, comic book movie premieres, etc. . . .

I'll kick things off with an announcement. Comics Conspiracy, located in Sunnyvale, CA, is hosting an after-hours X-Men vs. Avengers party on Tuesday, April 3, 2012, starting at 6:00PM (actually, the party is scheduled to kick off around 8:00PM - but the sale starts at 6:00PM). The party will last until whenever things wind down. All attendees will receive a free copy of X-Men vs. The Avengers (with purchase of something else in the store). Also, every Avengers and X-Men related comic and graphic novel (besides AvX #1) will be 25% off from 6:00PM until whenever the party is over. Food will be served (and if history is any indicator, probably some booze as well). For more details, click on the link below.

http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz/index.php/2012/03/get-a-free-copy-of-avengers-vs-x-men-1/

Comments

• number6number6 Posts: 2
    number6 standing by.... its good to be back!
  • BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    Yeah!

West coast, best coast!

Hopefully we can get something together for a FCBD crawl.
  • Yeah!

West coast, best coast!

Hopefully we can get something together for a FCBD crawl.
    Ditto.

Thanks for sparkin' this thread back up @Fade2Black.
  • Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Oh, and speaking of Comics Conspiracy in Sunnyvale. I was there the other day and I noticed Ryan received a second shipment of Saga. The store had a huge stack of them on one of their back-issue racks and as near as I can tell they are first printings. Last I checked, they were still selling for cover price - (though there's a possibility they may be alloted to ensure any regulars who were left empty-handed get a copy). The store does take phone orders.
  • Neutron11Neutron11 Posts: 35
    On the way to ECCC! Whoot!
    edited April 2012
    "REMINDER: Comics Conspiracy is having their Avengers vs. X-Men launch party tonight.
    Comics Conspiracy, located in Sunnyvale, CA, is hosting an after-hours X-Men vs. Avengers party on Tuesday, April 3, 2012, starting at 6:00PM (actually, the party is scheduled to kick off around 8:00PM - but the sale starts at 6:00PM). The party will last until whenever things wind down. All attendees will receive a free copy of X-Men vs. The Avengers (with purchase of something else in the store). Also, every Avengers and X-Men related comic and graphic novel (besides AvX #1) will be 25% off from 6:00PM until whenever the party is over. Food will be served (and if history is any indicator, probably some booze as well). For more details, click on the link below.

http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz/index.php/2012/03/get-a-free-copy-of-avengers-vs-x-men-1/
  • I wouldn't want to speak for him but he seemed to enjoy it while I was with him. And I had a lovely time. I posted an extended commentary on my time there on the Tales from the Longbox page on Facebook.
    ECCC was pretty great. Had a good time visiting a new con and meeting new folks. Honestly though, I prefer Wondercon and hope it returns to S.F. I loved how huge the artists alley area was and loved meeting lots of creators. Wish they had huge trade vendors there like they have at Wondercon. Weather was pretty crappy all weekend so I stayed in the convention area most of the time. Overall, about a 7 out of 10 for me. I'd go back if Wondercon didn't return to SF, but will probably stay local if everything returns back to normal.
    edited April 2012
    I'm hearing grumblings from those in the industry that the prospect of WonderCon returning to the Bay Area isn't very good. The main reason I've heard cited is that there are too many people in the Bay Area spending money at the con, but not on the city of San Francisco's other offerings. Hotels, fine restaurants, etc, aren't seeing the con attendance to profit ratios they'd like. Their lack of revenues can be attributed to a couple reasons. One is that the Bay Area is a geek culture mecca. The majority of the WonderCon attendees live locally, so they often just head home after the con. The comic convention, unlike many of the other Moscone Center hosted expos, is a venue where people usually spend money in excess of their admission fees, and would rather grab a bite to eat at a fast food restaurant than splurge on one of The City's renowned restaurants. San Francisco is a tourist city, and when people flock there but don't spend money like tourists, those in charge take notice. The bottom line is money. WonderCon is a big event that will likely draw a higher percentage of travelers if located in Southern California, and therein lies the money.
    Great. So we'll get another developers conference instead, and SoMa will be overrun by the lame kind of geeks instead of the cool kind of geeks.
    It really bums me out that we can't have a great con in S.F. if this happens. I totally understand the union issue about hotels and such, but in my 'rosy colored glasses' view, can't it be about the love of the medium rather than the money for the local hotels? From what I have heard from several creators, this year's Wondercon was awful because nobody spent $$ at the con because they were saving it up for their family trips to Disneyland. Not good for the creators and not good for the con.
    Yeah, I heard from some folks in Artist Alley that it wasn't as profitable of a show as they hoped, or expected.

I didn't even think about the Disneyland connection, that makes a lot of sense.
    X-Men vs. Avengers launch party @ Comics Conspiracy - Sunnyvale, CA:
    Oh, and it just so happened that it was the shop owner's birthday that night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQynAA97sRE

BTW, when I was there on Tuesday, the store had a fairly substantial number of BKV's Saga #1 (1st printing). I know a lot of stores sold out (as did Ryan's), but his re-order came rather promptly. and his store does accept online and phone orders + he often offers free shipping.
    edited April 2012
    I posted this on FB, but I want to extend the invite to all CGS members as well,

If anyone is interested, AMC is hosting a Marvel movie Marathon on Thursday May 3rd. The marathon kicks off at 11:30AM. Special character-themed 3-D glasses will be issued. $40.00 (plus a $1.00 service fee) buys you admission to six films: Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Hulk, Captain America 3-D, Thor 3-D, and The Avengers 3-D. Should anyone care to join me, I'll be attending the showing at Santa Clara's AMC Mercado. I have a rehearsal to attend later that evening, so I might have to miss a showing, but I expect to back in time for the Avengers premiere.

Click here for details: http://go.amctheatres.com/marvel
    It's tempting to blow off work for a day to watch movies all day, but I probably won't.

Man, the Metreon is just right there though.
    @BadDeacon
    Unless they added more showings, to my knowledge the Metreon's two showings are both sold out (I tried checking again, but instead of the sold out message I got last time, I was greeted with a fandango spokesbag informing me an error had occurred).
    If you decide to go, as if this post, Santa Clara's Mercado 20 or Emeryville's Bay Street 16 are the closest locations with seats still available.
    edited April 2012
    Comics Conspriacy in Sunnyvale, CA is celebrating their 19ᵗʰ year. To commemorate their anniversary the store is hosting a sale.

Big Wow Comic Fest is less than a month away. Who's going?

I have a farewell party to attend on Sunday so that day is definitely out for me, but Saturday looks promising as does post-con drinks/dinner @ Gordon Biersch.

Looks like Figure Drawing with Frank Cho will be returning.
    That was a lot of fun, even for a complete novice such as myself.

http://www.bigwowcomicfest.com/
    I'll probably be at Big Wow on Saturday. I may have to check out the Frank Cho figure drawing, that sounds pretty cool.
  • I think I might have to check it out this year. Would be my first time. I enjoyed Image Expo, but it didn't completely fill the hole in my soul that WonderCon left!

I am up for a Saturday meetup too. Let's do this!
    @ThreadKiller, @Fade2Black, Big Wow sounds like a plan!
  • ThreadKillerThreadKiller Posts: 55
    edited May 2012
    Damn it...just realized that I have a graduation party and my parents visiting on the weekend of the Big Wow Con. This is ridiculous. This happens every year; which is why I've never been.

Crap...sorry guys, but you'll have to count me out.
    Tickets are still available for Thursday's Marvel Marathon at the AMC Mercado in Santa Clara. I hope to see some CGS West Coasters there.

http://go.amctheatres.com/marvel
    My 8-year-old G5 PowerMac decided it was time to join Apple's Cloud - the caveat being its logic board had to die in order to do so. For the time being, I'm without a computer (I'm using someone else's machine to type this). So until I get a replacement computer (which isn't really in the budget right now - plus I'm holding out for Apple's next hardware release), I may be difficult to reach. While I'm online, I just want to reiterate, I plan on attending Big Wow on the 19th.
    Reminder, Big Wow is this weekend.
    edited June 2012
    WALKING DEAD 100 party @ Comics Conspiracy

edited July 2012
    Reminder: Comics Conspiracy's Walking Dead 100 Party is this Tuesday.
    21+
    Drinks will be served.

http://www.comicsconspiracy.biz/index.php/2012/06/walking-dead-100-release-party/
    zombie apocalypse @ Comics Conspiracy tonight