Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Nightwing No More. New GRAYSON Comic Book Series.

From USA Today

"Dick Grayson is trading his superhero suit for secret-agent cool.

Batman's former sidekick embarks on a new life as an undercover superspy in the comic book Grayson, an action-adventure series premiering July 2 from DC Comics. It's written by Tim Seeley (Revival) and Tom King, a former CIA counterterrorism operations officer."

Ummm... Sounds kind of cool. But can how long can it last?

Comments

• fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited April 2014
    If it can get me to finally enjoy this character then I'm all for it!
    /sarcasm
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Sounds more like a TV pilot proposal. "Let's do the superhero without him being a superhero!" Zero interest for me.
  • PeterPeter Posts: 470
    "I have zero interest! But I'm going to complain to prove it!"

What a pale comparison of what this forum used to be when people wouldn't put up with the fanboy wank. You deserve the shitty comics you bitch about.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I miss the "Off Topic" and "Troll" buttons.
    And I miss the real forum. So we're even.
    Peter said:

I do too, Peter.

Shame you killed it.
  • JDickJDick Posts: 206
    I like Tim Seeley and Tom King is always interesting on the CGS podcast so I'll give this a chance for sure.
    Bwa ha ha. If by killed it you mean made it possible for you to return, yup!

By all means. Have your wankfest. You guys would've been gone long ago. Drowned out by people who talked not ranted. Who were quick to do their best to turn conversations from delving into madness. You and the Chuck Mellvilles of forums are nothing but trolls and curmudgeons. And not even the tolerable kind.

'Grayson sucks! I know because I'm important and have to share my opinion on comics I don't read at every turn!'

The worst.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Is this an Elseworlds title? Is there some kind of clever point to this alteration? Will he be interacting with Batman at all? Do we care? Can DC do a non-superhero book better than Image?

If you answered "no" to two or more of the above questions, then this book is probably not for you. First impression is that this is more weak tea from DC; I'll stick with the awesome books I've been raving about. If the reviews are good, I'll consider a trade.
  • kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    I admit I'm not familiar with the artist Mikel Janin so I looked up some of his stuff and I quite like it. And I really dig this cover art. After seeing it a few times I realized "He's holding a GUN!"
    Peter said:

By all means. Have your wankfest. You guys would've been gone long ago. Drowned out by people who talked not ranted. Who were quick to do their best to turn conversations from delving into madness. You and the Chuck Mellvilles of forums are nothing but trolls and curmudgeons. And not even the tolerable kind.

'Grayson sucks! I know because I'm important and have to share my opinion on comics I don't read at every turn!'

The worst.

"Wankfest"?

Is this The Daily Rios thread?

Sorry.

I thought it was the "Grayson" thread.
  • I love the character and I like the writers, so I will be giving this a try. I was already getting and enjoying the Nightwing title, so I'm curious where this goes. I don't know if it will have any lasting potential, but it will be cool to read an espionage style comic in the DC Universe. I give them credit for trying to do another title outside of the mainstream superhero genre titles still.

I am even more curious of the supporting cast he might have. I wonder if we'll see characters like King Faraday or other characters in that vain. We shall see.
    WetRats said:

Peter said:

The worst.

"Wankfest"?

Is this The Daily Rios thread?

Sorry.

I thought it was the "Grayson" thread.
    He did mention "Grayson" in his rant I think. My eyes just sort of glaze over once I recognize these sorts of posts for what they are.

I guess DC is trying to figure out what to do with the 3 or 4 Robins they're expected to squeeze into a few years of continuity. Turning Grayson into Golgo-13 is the latest attempt. Nice cover art though.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    kgforce said:

I admit I'm not familiar with the artist Mikel Janin so I looked up some of his stuff and I quite like it. And I really dig this cover art. After seeing it a few times I realized "He's holding a GUN!"

Unless there's adjustments made in the N52, he was a cop for Bludhaven.

M
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Is this an Elseworlds title? Is there some kind of clever point to this alteration? Will he be interacting with Batman at all? Do we care? Can DC do a non-superhero book better than Image?

If you answered "no" to two or more of the above questions, then this book is probably not for you. First impression is that this is more weak tea from DC; I'll stick with the awesome books I've been raving about. If the reviews are good, I'll consider a trade.

Isn't it way too premature to say this book isn't "awesome"? You've asked questions that have yet to be answered (especially since it hasn't been released) to completely dismiss the book.

And you only read books that get good reviews?

M

• I don't really read much DC, so excuse my ignorance here ... but does DC have their own version of SHIELD? If not, is it possible this is where this is heading, with Dick Grayson as Nick Fury?

(PS: The "CW" greenlights the pilot in 5, 4, 3, 2 ...)
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I enjoy the writers and I'd be happy to read a comic from them. However this book is clouded by an overall universe that I soured on months ago. If this book is sort of removed from the larger DCU it might be great.
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Peter said:

I never said it sucked. It might even be very good for all I know. All I've said is that I have zero interest in it; I'd've preferred Nightwing over Dick Grayson, Secret Agent. If they want to do a book of this sort, why not revive Danger Trail with King Faraday?

And I said that, as a proposal, it stinks. It stinks of a sort of bait-and-switch like they're doing on TV these days, in giving us superheroes without the trappings of superheroes. Like Smallville (which I did still enjoy) being a Superboy show without him actually being Superboy... or the upcoming Gotham, being either a Batman show without Batman or a cop show with some Batman trappings.

If Nightwing was really doing so poorly that they felt the need for this kind of a change it might have been wiser to have let it die rather than taking it through this kind of turn. It reminds me too much of the 60's Batman newspaper strip that, in its final days, did away with all bat-things and turned Bruce and Dick into some other costumed heroes.
  • I am excited about it. Dick Grayson is my favorite character in comics. He has been Robin, Batman, Nightwing and more, and I think this iteration sounds intriguing, especially considering the co-writer. I'll be checking it out
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    WetRats said:

Peter said:

I do too, Peter.

Shame you killed it.
    Whoa whoa whoa guys!!! It will be okay. Deemer has promised us a new forum. ;)
    Matt said:

Isn't it way too premature to say this book isn't "awesome"? You've asked questions that have yet to be answered (especially since it hasn't been released) to completely dismiss the book.

M

I'd say it's premature to say it is "awesome", but all I gave was my first impression based on the solicit. Isn't that what we do every time we go through a Previews catalogue?

I only pick up books I originally passed on if I start hearing good things about them. Is that unusual?

Matt said:

M

I'd say it's premature to say it is "awesome", but all I gave was my first impression based on the solicit. Isn't that what we do every time we go through a Previews catalogue?

I only pick up books I originally passed on if I start hearing good things about them. Is that unusual?
    Apparently, it's bitchy wanking.
  • Since Nightwing is was my favorite character (and costume), I absolutely will check it out and give it an honest chance, although I'm not happy about the change. These types of books rarely make it. I think that Nightwing has grown to the point where he's a fully developed character in the right writer's hands, and I'd like to see him hold the same place in the DC universe that Daredevil does at Marvel.
  • Nightwing would also never wear that high and tight military haircut. The guy is a free thinker. Just sayin'.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Let's stay on topic and off each other. Or I will just close this thread and someone that wants to talk about the book, not the talk about the talk about the book can start over.

Thanks in advance.
  • EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    This could be an interesting take on the character.

DC hasn't had a clear idea of what to do with Dick Grayson in a while. The biggest problem, as I see it, has been that they attempt to let the character "come into his own," just to change direction shortly after.

He has issues with Bruce Wayne and they separate, only to bring them back together. They separate him from the "Batman Family," then they bring him back into the fold. They move him to other cities, then they destroy those cities. They let him become Batman, which is really kind of the culmination of journey of the character, then they bring Bruce back in.

Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.

Taking the character out of the superhero realm is maybe just the right move. My concern, though, is more the fact that this seems very reminiscent of the change of tone of the Captain America series under Brubaker, in which Cap/Bucky Cap took on a spy tone in which superheroic elements were greatly reduced. It worked amazingly well for that run, but I wonder if this book will seem a pale comparison of that.

And, on a side note, I'm personally tired of both sides of this stupid visceral forum feuding. You play into one another and completely jack threads. I don't care who started it, it is childish and both sides are at fault.

That is what really ruins a forum.
    WetRats said:

Apparently, it's bitchy wanking.

Then I'm one wanky bitch, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

• Given my dislike of the new 52 as a whole I probably wont read the book but I will keep an eye on people's reactions to it. I have always been more interested in the super hero side of comics though so its not the kind of change I'm really in favour of.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

I don't really read much DC, so excuse my ignorance here ... but does DC have their own version of SHIELD? If not, is it possible this is where this is heading, with Dick Grayson as Nick Fury?

DC has a few clandestine SHIELD type groups.

The most SHIELD like is Checkmate. They are the superspy organization of DC. The last series by Greg Rucka was great, if you like SHIELD stories try Checkate (2007).

Task Force X is a special OPs strikeforce that runs the Suicide Squad. Originally Checkmate was the spy side of Task Force X, and Suicide Squad was the strike force. However DC changed that somewhere along the way and Task Force X became part of Checkmate.

The last one I can think of off the top of my head is one of my favorite parts of the post flashpoint DC SHADE. They keep the mad-scienctists in check with superscience/magic (they are like a good version of AIM). SHADE deals with the weird stuff.