Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

I am a grown-ass man and I just bought a doll!

TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
edited May 2012 in World of Toys Archive
http://www.tonnerdoll.com/dc-stars/sale-now-13-supergirl

For those of you who don't know, Tonner dolls "look" like Barbies, but are hand-painted, with knit-fabric cloth, and retail anywhere from $150 - $300 before they end up on ebay for an obscene amount of money. The creator studied under Bill Blass as a fashion designer before realizing his passion was making dolls.

Supergirl's at the end of her production run (like 1000 made I think), and they have extras they're selling for $25. I snagged one, naturally. At first I thought this had to be a web-error, but apparently it's legit.

Don't scoop these up hoping for a big resale on ebay or anything. These are the 13" dolls so a bit smaller than the standard size, and reports are that while they're excellent in quality, the fabric on the cape is a bit thin. I picked this up because it's a chance to own a Tonner doll of my favorite female hero for a whopping $25.

My name is Torchsong, and I just bought a doll. Not an action figure. Not a statue. A doll.

Comments

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Thank God it wasn't the classic hot pants Supergirl.

I don't have $25 to waste right now.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    70s (hot pants) Supergirl will always be closest to my heart, but this looks to be the Peter David era, which is also one of my favorites. I guess I could fashion a headband and make her the just-pre-Crisis Kara. :)
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited May 2012
    It's okay Al, I'm sure there is a support group for that kind of thing :P

I may be joing you though, that Batgirl is sweet!
  • ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    No worries here, I collect vinyl art toys, some sell for $6-10,000 and I've unashamedly bought $300-600 ones. I do custom toys as well, 1:18, 1:6, and 1:12 scales. Some human male/female and some robots and zombies, etc. The female ones, especially 1:6 scale do seem like playing with a Barbie though. :)
    Most of the time those things are just out of my price range (as evidenced by the price range Zhurrie is showing), but I'm not above gawking at them and appreciating the artistry that goes into them. At $25...well, I couldn't resist...particularly for a favorite character.

Fun Story: A few years back the wife and I are in a Toys R Us and they had not just Supergirl, but also a Batgirl and (I believe) a Catwoman Barbie. There was a part of me (the slavish Supergirl lover) that was like "Okay, you're a grown man. Do you really have the cojones to pick up a Barbie, walk to the counter, and pay for it with absolutely no daughter in tow?" My wife even offered to do the dirty work - paying for it while I stood at a distance. Finally a voice in my head went off and said "Al, you're about to head down a road you're not prepared to head down. Walk away." So I did. Part of me doesn't regret that action, but another part of me, if they had a time machine...well... :)

I'd love to send one to Mark Hogancamp.

Can you imagine Supergirl in Marwencol?
    I've been slowly getting out of collecting the really big 1:6 stuff that costs a fortune, but I still buy the large Gundam kits and some smaller vinyl/art toys every now and then. I look at it like art/sculpture rather than toys or dolls but no matter how you slice it, they are :)

It is nice when I make a bit selling off a piece here and there though, I got almost $400 for this one the other day:

It all starts with an affordable gateway drug like a $25 Supergirl ;) Next you'll be giving ZJs for $300 1:6 Hot Toys! Save yourself!

Nice Chuck Taylors!

Makes me want a 1:6 Kevin Matchstick.
    Well, she arrived yesterday. To say I was impressed is an understatement. This ain't no freakin' Barbie. :)

They were right about the cape kind of being an afterthought - no S insignia on the back of it, but the rest of the outfit was pretty much the classic standard outfit. Had a little difficulty getting her feet into the boots (she's covered neck to feet in a clear mesh body stocking) but once they were in I've got to admit...it was $25 well spent. And as predicted, the wife really dug it. Now she wants one. :)

Share? Bite me, this is MY doll, damn it! :)
    Awesome! I love when larger scale figures are affordable and well done. I'm currently completely overhauling and customizing a 1:6 scale Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow since the Sideshow ones were such a letdown. There is a whole world of customizing and parts/pieces out there that you can easily transform 1:6 toys to anything you want, or like for that cape an inkjet printable transfer could add your "S" insignia with barely no effort.
  • Saw them initially and thought 'cool' then realised that they were Barbie and I just backed away slowly then ran. I'm with Ahurrie, go for the sideshow figures instead.
  • NickNick Posts: 284
    edited May 2012
    My wife bought a bunch of these several years ago, I think she has Batgirl, Supergirl, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Dobbie from Harry Potter. I haven't seen the Tonner booth in awhile. Are any of these rare ones? Maybe I can get them on eBay without her knowing it :)
  • Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    That seems like an awful lot of money for a doll
  • Now, why the hell did someone "flag" Eric_C?
    I'm puzzled about that as well. Wasn't me, I assure you.

Eric - it *is* an awful lot of money for a doll (I'm assuming you're talking about the more pricey $100-200 ones and not the $25 one I picked up.) The deal is that the clothing is hand-stitched, the faces are done by hand (not machine), etc...all kinds of little details that make it "quality" versus a standard Barbie which is more "quantity".
    The flagging thing is just dumb when people abuse it. @Eric_C I hear it a lot when people see my collection, even little stuff like some Dunnys that are $300-1k pieces. When you are not talking mass-produced toys, but hand made/hand painted art pieces that happen to be toys they take an incredible amount of time, skill, and special equipment none of which is cheap and all of it is incredibly time-consuming.

I make custom toys (one could say dolls even) and just the equipment, silicone, and resin to do fairly basic resin casts is expensive. When I started $50-100 seemed like a ton to pay for a toy but after a while you realize that some deservedly cost more. Sometimes it is just pure hype though and I set limits and have slowed way down on buying and more time and money on sculpting and making customs. I spend up to 10 hours on something like a custom 3" Dunny, from sculpt, to mold, to cast of a fully custom resin piece can be 20+. Plus the run sizes are super small, when you are cranking out 5,000pc. mass produced toys the costs go way down, but to make a run of 5 or 10 of something is a different story.
    I'm puzzled about that as well. Wasn't me, I assure you.

Eric - it *is* an awful lot of money for a doll (I'm assuming you're talking about the more pricey $100-200 ones and not the $25 one I picked up.) The deal is that the clothing is hand-stitched, the faces are done by hand (not machine), etc...all kinds of little details that make it "quality" versus a standard Barbie which is more "quantity".
    $25 bucks is a perfect price. I was commenting on the $150 dolls. You got a steal, congrats. I should have made myself more clear

And @Tonebone. I was wondering the same thing. Did not seem flag-worthy to me, but it isn't too big of a blow to my self esteem so I guess I will manage
    @Eric_C, I can appreciate having a hard time understanding it if it isn't something you personally are into but when you see a piece like Hermes or even some Sideshow toys or the one-off customs in person it makes more sense. Or not for some, no big deal.

Hermes:
    @Zhurrie That is a pretty phat Hermes. And I do understand spending a lot of money on stuff one likes - see: Boardwalk Games
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Lee should have used that Hermes design for the DCnU flash.
  • EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    "Expensive" is always relative in every collection, but in any field, quality and rarity = $$$.

I've done a bit of customizing in the past, and there is a lot that goes into them... often, literally, blood, sweat, and tears. Of course, there is a part of a lot of folks that balks at an eBay listing for a custom figure that starts in the $50 to $75 range, but between the cost of materials and the man-hours put in, that is probably relatively cheap.

And, Tonner? Most of their runs are under 1000, and a lot are under 500. It is a small company, hand-making high quality limited runs. They pay attention to details.

So, yeah, you end up paying 10 to 15 times the cost of a standard Barbie doll, but this isn't a Barbie. It isn't mass produced at volumes that allow 200,000 (or so) to be sold each day. But, put it next to the standard Barbie, and it is easy to see which was mass produced.

Do I still kinda think it is nuts to pay that much for a doll? Sure, but I think the same about people that collect records, or golf balls, or amplifiers, or bottler caps. And, my areas of interest in collecting probably baffle others just as much, and leave them shaking there heads at the prices I'm willing to pay.

To each there own, you know?
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I used to do a lot mods/customization on 40k, Warmachine/Hordes and Confrontation miniatures and selling them on ebay. I was never as good as some of the big names in that hobby, but I did well enough to keep it going for about three to four years. I really enjoyed it, the work never seemed like a chore. When it came to pricing I never even considered the manhours spent on a project and would put 21 to 30 or more hours in on a single model. It never occurred to me to consider that into the pricing because I enjoyed the work of it so much. I probably cheated myself out of some dollars but I'm okay with that. Both my son and I love looking at custom figures/toys, the work people put into it is to be commended.
  • EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    When it came to pricing I never even considered the manhours spent on a project and would put 21 to 30 or more hours in on a single model. It never occurred to me to consider that into the pricing because I enjoyed the work of it so much. I probably cheated myself out of some dollars but I'm okay with that. Both my son and I love looking at custom figures/toys, the work people put into it is to be commended.
    The pricing thing was drummed into me as an art major in college - always take into account your time when pricing a piece, otherwise you undervalue not only the piece but yourself.

Of course, this falls into the idea of doing it as something more than a hobby or a way to pass the time. In other words, doing it to put food on the table.

I've never sold a custom figure, partly because I don't like to part with those I've done, and partly because I'd never feel right pricing it correctly (way too much) or completely going against what was indoctrinated to me at school (way too low).
    http://www.tonnerdoll.com/summer-sale Tonner is having a one-day summer sale. Nothing too great but you can get the Black Canary doll for $75 or so (after the discount is applied).
  • GrimsisterGrimsister Posts: 35
    It's not a doll... it's an "action figure"!
    Grimsister - that's what I keep telling myself. I'm really dreading the day my sister comes to visit and goes "Nice Barbie, doof!" and I have to respond with "It's not a Barbie, you Philistine! It's a Tonner collectible limited edition!"

Either way, I pretty much come off the loser. :)
    I finally broke down and bought the Sideshow Cobra Viper (My favorite figure from 3 3/4). I have been working on some G.I. Joe paintings and couldn't hold out any more. It is my b-day present to myself.

• ShaneKellyShaneKelly Posts: 155
    That is cool, There are a lot of sideshow dolls i would love to get right now. I just can't. Maybe now that the move to the new house is pretty much done I will show up here again more often.

very cool b-day present to yourself Zhurrie
  • Ahhhh! I cannot handle it! The resurrected Marvel Legends... Wave 3... is hitting this month and I cannot handle waiting!! Dani Moonstar! US Agent! Freedom Foundation Doom! "New Look" Mystique! Blade! And more!

But it's not all sunshine and roses.

Where's the Build-A-Fig, you cheap bastards?!

Where's the second half of the Wrecking Crew?!

Don't make me come to your house!
    Tonner had a Black Friday sale of 30% off.

I ordered Elektra. Too sweet not to.

I am now a grown ass man with two dolls.

One more and I think I have to go to Sweden and get an operation done to become Torchsongette. :)