Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What comics did you read and like this week?

Comments

• ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Just read the latest volume of Fatale (vol 4) all in one sitting. (Well, "all in one sitting" interspersed with getting up about three times to check on an iPod database recovery attempt -- NOT FUN.) It's just as great as ever. Fatale is one of those books I sort of forget about until it's time to buy a new TPB. And then I let the TPB sit on my shelf for a few weeks, almost wondering why I bought it. Then I read it and instantly think, "If this were a Marvel or DC book, everyone would be screaming about it as the best book being published today." The art is gorgeous. The writing is phenomenal, with every single "throwaway" character (you know going into each storyline that almost everyone is going to die) being completely believable and fleshed-out. I almost get the impression that Brubaker probably has ten pages worth of backstory for every character, and even if virtually none of that backstory is revealed during the actual issues here, all of it informs the nuances of each and every character. I guess the worst thing that could be said about Fatale is that it doesn't have a strongly defined driving plot. But it doesn't need one, and I'm totally content to sit back and only get about 20 pages of forward present-day progression per 5-issue TPB. I just like to lose myself in the backstory of this chronicle that Brubaker has constructed. I remember being blown away by Criminal (and his Captain America) several years ago, so I think I'm almost desensitized to Brubaker's greatness. But I suspect that Fatale is just as good as anything he ever did, even if I'm used to its greatness already so it doesn't impress me as much. For a while now I've been thinking that Velvet is really something special. But I read that in issues. Right now I'm inclined to think that Fatale is better.
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    mguy1977 said:

Daredevil 36 had a nice (semi-) finale & earned a solid 5. She Hulk while the art takes some getting use to the writing is helpful since I'm one of the DC fans that never read Iron Man in recent years so I found the small balloons of text helpful. She Hulk #1 earns 4 stars. I think Soule created real life Doombots of himself for comics writing, legal work, family time, etc...

Matthew

Art reminded me of Mike Alred a bit and seemed like a direct lift from that FF run that i didn't read.
  • WhirlwindWhirlwind Posts: 94
    I think my favorite new title now is Loki: Agent of Asgard. It's two issues in, and the characters are interesting, the story is going in fascinating ways, and I like the art. Highly recommended.

I'm also liking the New Warriors relaunch. It's also two issues in, and clearly in set-up mode, but very enjoying to read.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Velvet #4 - love this series.
  • KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    edited March 2014
    I was at the Lexington Toy and Comicon a couple weekends ago, and I saw the Action Lab table. I always try to give them a little money everytime I see them and I picked up the Back in the Day graphic novel. I really enjoyed this story. It's fairly short which is nice when you just need to pick up something and finish a story. I thought it was fun and had heart at the same time. Looking forward to my next random pick up from those guys.
  • mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited March 2014
    The new NEW Daredevil 1 & Daredevil Dark Nights tpb really pleased me for my blind superhero lawyer Marvel fix. The art from DD Dark Nights swung from the fences & captured my attention w/ each panel. The stories from the trade were special in that they had superhero action w/ a additional element of not the typical garden variety 6 issues in & out then move on; rather each ministory arc seemed special & pulled at my heartstrings & provided creative enjoyment of the highest caliber. I would welcome a Daredevil Dark Nights II tpb in the future. Waid & Samnee have well earned the crimson red stripes as storytellers for Daredevil & look forward to next month. 5 out of 5 for both the tpb & the first issue of the new volume of Daredevil. Great job!

Matthew
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Invaders got much better with #3.
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I sat in the Artist's Alley at ECCC this past weekend, helping to man a table for a friend. He brought along the first two Hawkeye trades, which I read. Truly, truly enjoyable, and I can see why there's such a favorable buzz for the series. If I could afford to, I'd put it on my list; as it is, I'm seriously thinking of getting the trades for myself.
  • In preparation for Cap, I've been reading Brubaker's run which I initially only read the first arc of then decided I was going to get in trade... and then you know, life... But with Marvel Unlimited I have the whole epic at my fingertips and it's glorious.
  • bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    I picked up Moon Knight #2 and while it wasn't as good as the first issue I felt it was still a real solid read. I'm also loving Afterlife With Archie right now. Reminds me of early Walking Dead, but with characters you already know.
  • I just read the latest volume of Fables (19, I think). I didn't really get into the Bufkin backup stories collected in the first part of the trade, but the "main" story blew me away. Out of the park!
    @Tonebone I agree w/ you about the Bufkin backup stories I glanced at them. Following that I read the heck out of the main story involving Snow White. I'm on my Cinderella from Fairest kick right now in issues.

Matthew
  • KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Just finished Revival Vol 3 there's points where I'm "I have no idea what's going on" but then it sucks me back in a minute later. Really enjoying this story so far.
  • I read Flash Gordon #1 from Dynamite Entertainment last night. I have had a very hit or miss situation with Dynamite, but I was interested in reading a Flash Gordon comic from a good jumping on point.

This was definitely a great place to start. I really enjoyed the issue. You get some flashbacks at the beginning and some various pieces of information to hint how the group got to where they are. It was enough to let you know that you'll get more in upcoming issues.

The art definitely had some Darwyn Cooke elements to it for me, but not to a mimic level. It was a fun adventure to read, which is what you want from a Flash Gordon comic. I'm looking forward to the next issue.

I picked this up because I had read Starlight #1 from Millar, and loved that, so I figured I would try another Flash Gordon style comic in my reading, and what better place to read a Flash Gordon style comic than Flash Gordon itself. This came out at the right time for my interest. Very happy with reading it and looking forward to a lot more of this if it stays in this style of storytelling and art.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I really enjoyed Flash Gordon #1, and yeah, it's a great jumping-on point. I actually tweeted Jeff Parker last night to praise the book and ask if it was connected to the King's Watch miniseries, and he said that although the book does jump out of that they worked to make sure it was accessible to people who hadn't read it. So mission accomplished there, I thought.

Fun story, great artwork by the deserves-to-be-more-famous Evan "Doc" Shaner and awesome color work by Jordy Bellaire. I've never been a big Dynamite fan, either, but they may have finally roped me in with this.
  • I have King's Watch, but have not read it yet. I wanted to wait until I had it all together since it was taking forever to come out. I picked it up because it remided me of the Defenders of the Earth cartoon team of characters, and I thought about doing a spotlight on that cartoon for my podcast, and review the King's Watch comic as part of that spotlight episode.

I HATED Dynamite's Voltron series that they tried to do, and I'm a big fan of the property, so to see it done so badly just pained me. I am enjoying the Voltron/Robotech crossover mini, but even that I feel like the story could be a bit more concise. I like the art on it, very reminiscent of the cartoon series.

If they do a Phantom series (I'm not sure if they have one already out), I might jump on that as well if it is done as well as the Flash Gordon series.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Haven't read Flash Gordon #1 yet (though I did pick it up), but I did read Lumberjanes #1, and it was pretty fun. Not the typical first issue of a series—instead of a long, drawn out process of introducing the characters, the story kicks off with the ’janes fighting off a pack of three-eyed magic foxes, and the reader catches up with the setting and characters as the story goes along.

It didn’t blow me away, but I liked it enough to get the rest of the series (six issues). Tone-wise, I think it would fit in very well as a cartoon in Cartoon Network’s lineup.
  • Very cool. Speaking of "janes", I pre-ordered G.I. Janes from Antarctic Press that was in this month's Previews. I have absolutely no idea if it will be any good, but I couldn't pass up the spoof on G.I. Joe. Even the description is taken right from the cartoon intro with some obviously necessary changes to it.
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I am reading the Essential Thor that covers the issues by Gerry Conway. This work is overshadowed by his work on Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four at the time because he made HUGE, sweeping changes. Gwen died, Reed and Sue filed for divorce and other Big Things. His Thor is more play by the rules. Yeah, he merged Sif and Jane Foster, but really, Stan and Jack had forgotten Jane Foster long before, so anything his did to her wouldn't have a lot of impact. He beefed up the supporting cast and had Thor leading a team of other characters most of the time.

Still, I actually perfected the Len Wein stuff that came after, and Roy's run was my favorite of the 70's.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    Due to prodding by Solitaire Rose I'm reading the Pathfinder series written by Jim Zub (of SkullKickers fame). It is a really great fantasy series. Thank you so much for recommendation SR.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    mwhitt80 said:

Due to prodding by Solitaire Rose I'm reading the Pathfinder series written by Jim Zub (of SkullKickers fame). It is a really great fantasy series. Thank you so much for recommendation SR.

There are some really good fantasy comics out there right now. Zub recently did a Red Sonja one-shot that worth checking out.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Deadly Class is the book I'm loving most at the moment. The story is compelling, the art is perfect for the tone. And I'm really digging the all the 80s references.
    The 80s playlists in the letters pages are a cool addition too.

Give this book a try.
    edited May 2014
    Superior Spidey 31 & Amazing Spidey 1 were aces in my book. First off, I want to thank all my podcasting brothers/sisters for filling me in what I was going on during my "superior hiatus" & waiting for Parker's return. Superior left off with major changes to the Spidey mythos & the shifting status changes towards Carlie, MJ, Jonah SR./Aunt May & J Jonah Jameson. The changing of identity.of who was Goblin did surprise me & I'm like ooh wee let me jump into Spidey #1 (cough) Volume 3 (cough). So SpideyOck had a relationship w/ Anna Marie & now Peter has some big relationship landmines to avoid. ‪#‎nakedidentycrisis‬ Face it Peter you will need to lie more than any politician on earth to get out of this jam. The Electro & Black Cat stories were great complimentary pieces filling in the jigsaw puzzle & can't wait to see what is around the corner. The only gripe is in this "new" origin of Spidey it showcases smartphones at the start of Spidey's origin. I'll say it so you don't have to "What the FLYING F*CK!!!!!!!" It was in the 1960s. I still don't have a Hooverboard & clothes that air dry itself if I get wet, so can we not jump the logic train w/ tech that hasn't happened yet. ‪#‎BTTFSPIDEY‬ I give Superior Spidey a 4 out of 5 rating (I'll be getting the last trade for sure), I give Amazing Spidey 1 a 5 out of 5, I'll skip the in between issue numbering nonsense.

Matthew
  • ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Picked up a handful of other releases yesterday during FCBD.

Uncanny Avengers Annual #1 was GREAT. Excellent one-and-done story, which you don't need much (any?) knowledge of the regular series to enjoy. The art inside was great and the Art Adams cover was even better. Remender said he wanted it to feel like one of those wonderful X-Men Annuals from the '80s, but boy did he deliver. Best Annual I've read in a looooooooooong time.

Original Sin #0 exceeded expectations. I feel just about as dubious as anyone else does regarding events (even though I enjoyed Infinity), and the setup I've heard about Original Sin didn't wow me . . . but this issue was very solid. Made me care about Nova and the Watcher in a way I never have before. Cheung's art was stellar as usual. After reading this, I wish Waid was writing the main series. I've had this issue and #1 reserved at my shop for a while now, and after getting the #0 issue I feel better about trying out the series. There's nothing in these pages to complain about at all. Looks exciting.

Black Science #6 was great. I don't have much else to say about this series. Remender is excellent again. I'm going to have to reread all six issues soon, not because I feel lost but because I'm sure that they'll read even better all at once. Huge recommendation on this one.
    edited May 2014
    Original Sin #1, I've actually read it three time since it came out last week.

The first time I read it too fast and so didn't pick up on everything. The other two times I examined all of the dialog and art and I got to say Jason Aaron has me really intrigued and asking questions like a good mystery story should.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Greg said:

Original Sin #1, I've actually read it three time since it came out last week.

The first time I it too fast and so didn't pick up on everything. The other two times I examined all of the dialog and art and I got to say Jason Aaron has me really intrigued and asking questions like a good mystery story should.

Argghh! Have to wait for DCBS box to arrive....

• TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    I'm with @Greg ... loved, loved, loved Original Sin #1.

As would be expected, Royals: Masters of War #4 was very good as well. It's killing me to know there are only 2 issues left.

Also took a flyer on United States of Murder Inc #1. Big mafia fan so I'm right in their demographic wheelhouse. Had a nice twist at the end, but overall I was kind of "eh" about it. I'll definitely give it a shot for a few more issues though.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Greg said:

Jason Aaron has me really intrigued and asking questions like a good mystery story should.

Jason Aaron is SUCH a good writer. If you haven't been reading Thor: God of Thunder, do yourself a favor and pick it up in trade - out now.

Greg said:

Jason Aaron has me really intrigued and asking questions like a good mystery story should.

Jason Aaron is SUCH a good writer. If you haven't been reading Thor: God of Thunder, do yourself a favor and pick it up in trade - out now.

I haven't been this excited about reading Thor since Simonson. I read the first two trades twice in the same day that I got them and have re-read them a few times since.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I've heard it's dropped off a bit since the Godbomb storylines?

I love those two too.