Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Jamie

Comments

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Never had the opportunity to meet Jamie. My one opportunity to make a pilgrimage to Golden Eagle from Central Illinois he wasn't working. All that said, we had a lot of common ground.

I can honestly say that when I heard the speech problems, I grew concerned and the announcement about his hospitalization made it so much worse.

His contributions will be greatly missed.

My heart goes out to Jamie's family and friends.
  • Options
    ParallaxParallax Posts: 10
    I was lucky enough to meet Jamie at San Diego Comicon 2006 or 2007, I believe. It was the guys' first year out there as a group. I approached him, Bryan and Peter all standing around talking. Jamie's very distinctive voice rang out and I couldn't help myself. "Am I in the presence of the Shiznit Pimp?" I asked. The man turned around with a big smile on his face and offered his hand. I shook it and luckily, I had the opportunity to do what the man himself always said a fan should do at a convention...I thanked a content creator I really appreciated while I had the chance--Jamie D. himself.

Thanks for the hours and hours, Mr. Shiznit Pimp.
  • Options
    RIP Jamie. You were an amazing part of the comics community. Thanks for the years of entertainment. Been a part of my virtual life since 2005, now there is pimp cup sized hole in my heart.

Heartfelt condolences to his friends and family.

• Options
    I have been listening since the first few months of the podcast. Instantly, I identified with Jamie D. I don't think I have ever disagreed with him about anything I have ever heard him say.

I love that he loved his comics... and even though (like me) he was an older geek, he could display a child-like glee, enthusiastically excited about them. He had a fondness for the comics of his youth, and taught me to be optimistic and open minded about the changes in the art form today.

I loved whenever he would talk about his family. It was obvious that his friends and family meant everything to him. I got the impression that to know Jamie was to be loved.

I have never met him. I have never spoken with him. I have never so much as exchanged an email with him. Yet he touched my life, profoundly. I think the single biggest thrill I have ever experienced in comics fandom is Jamie D welcoming me to the forums, by name, on the show. He welcomed me in, and I was a part of the family.

So, now, my single greatest sadness in comics fandom is that I never will get to meet him.

My heart goes out to those of you who were close to him. Who saw him every day. Who now, for a time, will feel the daily pain of his absence.

Here's to you, Jamie D. Rest peacefully, friend.

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited May 2014
    I saw the announcement today while at work. It was a sad long day but it just really hit me a few minutes ago when I listened to Pants open up the audio update show.

I never met Jamie D but after listening to hours and hours of him talking on the podcast, i felt I knew him. We had similiar likes and dislikes of the comic book industry. His passion of comics and recommendations of certain books led me to read things that I normally would have never touched - like Fables and Strangers in Paradise.

It is a compliment to the man and what he meant that I (and many more like me) cried about the loss of someone i never met.

Jamie D, you will be missed.
  • Options
    BondoBondo Posts: 57
    Pounding a few brews with friends tonight, feeling pretty melancholy. Something I forgot to say in my previous post was how much I respected the Shiznit for his dedication to the literacy of children, and how he spread the love of comics to people of all ages, and (along with all of Cgs) really saw young people as the future of comics. I'll nene forget that when I think of Jamie
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Holy crap! I've fallen a bit behind on listening to the podcasts, and I'd missed the updates on Jamie's decline. I don't know him apart from his presence on the podcasts, and I still feel like I've been punched in the gut. His intro on each show ("I'm Jamie D!") is the one I've always most associated with the podcast for some reason. My condolences to his family... and to his friends who continue the journey without him. :(
  • Options
    equinoxequinox Posts: 1
    Been away from the forums for quite a while, but I definitely needed to come pay to pay my respects to Jamie. He was part of the original CGS crew that I first listened to when their episode numbers only had 2 digits. The talks that everyone had during every episode really drew me into the online world of comic books and how easy it was for fans and creators to share their love of the industry.

While I personally may not have agreed with everything he said, Jamie was so very thoughtful when sharing his opinions about comics, movies, LCS's and especially when breaking the "new guy", Pants, into the group. I'll miss being able to get his take on the latest books hitting the shelves and I thank him sincerely for everything he's done to help make CGS and comics podcasting what it is today.
  • Options
    azraelazrael Posts: 46
    My heart is broken by this news. May he rest in peace. Condolences to his family and friends. The world has lost a great man.
  • Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    edited May 2014
    I called and left a voice mail, but truthfully it was nowhere near what I wanted to say. Upon attempting to articulate what was in my head, my emotions overcame me and I was found wanting. So I instead leave this here as tribute...

From The 13th Warrior:

Lo, there do I see my father.
    Lo, there do I see my mother.
    And my sister and my brother
    Lo, there do I see the line of my people
    Back to the beginning.
    Lo, they do call to me.
    They bid me take my place among them
    In the halls of Valhalla
    Where the brave may live forever.

Jamie's bravery, resolve, and good humor in the face of insurmountable odds has certainly earned him a seat at the Great Table. Surely he is well-met this day in the halls of Valhalla.
  • Options
    I saw the news on Girls with Slingshots and just stopped. I'm so very sorry to hear that. He was such a wonderful, positive man who shared his enthusiasm with all of us. My heart goes out to all his friends and family right now.
  • Options
    Mister_DMister_D Posts: 4
    I haven't been around these parts for quite a while, but when I saw the news I wanted to pay my respects. I never had the privilege to meet Jamie in person, but like many others here, I spent a lot of time with him through the podcast. More often than not, I'd would find myself nodding in agreement with him. My heart sank when I heard that he passed. Scrolling through this thread, it's obvious he touched a lot of lives.

My sincere thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    I've been struggling most of the day to think of something to say but words escape me.

I'll miss him
    God Bless You Jamie D. for all the joy you have spread.
  • Options
    X_DaneX_Dane Posts: 8
    I never thought that somebody i never meet or talked to in person could touch my life like Jamie did, im really gonna miss hearing your voice Jamie.

RIP Jamie i really regret that i didn't get to meet you.

Deepest condolences to his friends and family.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    The man embodied Pure Comic-y Goodness™.
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    I haven't listened to the podcast for some time….. ever since I sold off my collection. I didn't want to be enticed to buy any new books. :| But I still come here everyday to "stay in touch" with the community. I don't post much anymore. So to read this - is sad news indeed.

My condolences to Jamie's family.

I always felt connected to Jamie. Probably due to me being a bit closer to Jamie in age. And you have to like a guy that loves the Avengers as much as Jamie seemed to. When I was clearing out my collection, I found an autographed copy of an Avengers…. somewhere around issue 100-110. I knew it needed a good home and sent it to Jamie. He was kind enough to mention it in one of the podcasts (my brush with greatness). ;)

I feel for the other geeks who truly have lost a close friend and comrade-in-arms. It is as hard as losing a sibling. It's even harder when you know your 'brother by choice" has touched so many people as Jamie has over these many years. Know this and know it well…. Jamie lives on in all of you. He will never be forget because of you. Guys - my most heartfelt condolences to you all.

Peace be with you Jamie "D".
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Rest in Peace, Jamie D. You got me on hooked on Byrne FF Visionaries, Byrne's War & Remembrance tpb, being a long lasting champion of introducing me & so many others to Fables & so many other great suggestions. Your energy & enthusiasm for comics can't be replaced, your rants were legendary & your knowledge was vast in all things Avengers. I wish all your family & friends comfort during these difficult days & remember you enriched lots of lives even if you never met all of them personally.

Matthew
  • Options
    ptsteelersptsteelers Posts: 32
    Honestly didn't even see this outcome as an option. I am sorry to hear this, but with his past, I just knew ... knew he would bounce back once again and all would be well. I know I am new here (relatively) but this still just hits like a truck. So sorry to hear this and words just can't describe how much I wish the best for all of his friends and family in this hard time. Truly, I am sorry.
  • Options
    I'm another that never met the man--my closest interaction with him was a couple facebook posts. But I spent most of yesterday trying to pull myself together and not cry at work. I started listening to CGS somewhere around 2006/2007, and Jamie became one of my favorites--probably at first because he was "older" (though in point of fact he was almost exactly the same age as my youngest brother), and because he liked John Byrne's art and writing as much as I did. But as I spent a whole lot of time with the CGS guys voices in my heads, I grew to love Jamie for his humor, passion, and all around greatness of soul. To me, CGS has always felt like a great discussion between friends, and that we listeners were included in that circle of friends. And I think Jamie is a big part of why I feel that way. He always seemed to be the heart of CGS, and I know he is still that heart. For him, comics were for everyone and it showed, as did his love of his family and friends. His attitude during his fight with cancer was extremely inspiring, especially when I was frustrated by my own health battle. I send condolences to his family, friends, his fellow Speakers of Geek, and to everyone that was touched by him. I wish that I had gotten a chance to meet him. Jamie, blessings on your journey. You are and will be fondly remembered. Now, I'm going to get dressed, round up the troops, and celebrate Jamie D/Absent Geeks day, formerly known as Free Comic Book Day. Because I can't think of a better way to celebrate your life.
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    I'm a West Coast guy and I never make it back east, so I've never met Jamie or any of the CGS crew. It's weird how you can listen to someone you've never met and feel like they're part of your family. You guys are like that for me.

I'd like to thank all of you. It was the discovery of your podcast and also 11 o'clock comics that got me back into reading floppies after a twenty year hiatus. Jamie and the rest of the group's enthusiasm and sheer geekiness made me feel at home. It reminded me of how I used to feel as a kid when I'd take my grandma's cans down the the local grocery story, get the bottle deposit, and spend it all on X-men and Spider-man and Fantastic Four.

I could always count on an honest opinion from Jamie, one that I often ignored to my own detriment. Age of Ultron, bad you say? Never! Ooops, yeah, I guess you were right. I wish I had that $100 back!

Jamie -

I'll miss your voice. I'll miss your sarcasm and wit. I'll miss your enthusiasm. I'm glad that the suffering is over for you. That at the pain is gone. But the living are selfish, greedy things and part of me wishes I'd hear you voice coming out of my car speakers during my Monday morning commute.

We'll miss you, pal. It's obvious that, with the amount of support that you are getting, just how great of a person you were during your life. You touched us, continue to touch us, and we all owe you a debt of gratitude. What a great community!

We all know that Gabriel and the Heavenly Host are Marvel Fans. Get their collection in order, buddy.

CGS Crew -

It cracked me up when I heard Pants. Hang in there. I know what a good friend Jamie was to all of you. Celebrate his life. I think that's what he would want. Thanks again for all you do. I'll pray for you and for Jamie's family.

God Bless.

I'm going to the comic shop now. Maybe I'll listen for a change and buy some Valiant.
  • Options
    DrawzaDrawza Posts: 1

Reading though Freking Sweers, found this one
    Thought it poignant.

Thought I was finally doing okay until I saw this and I lost it again. I miss you Shiznit. I'm glad you're feeling better now.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I'm stuck at work today so I couldn't get out for Free Comic Book Day, but my wife went out so she could take the kiddo and pick up a few things for me. She broke out the Wonder Woman/Supergirl/Batgirl shirt she almost never wears to represent for me... and for Jamie. :)
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Not sure what I can say that hasn't been said much better by those before me. RIP Jamie.
  • Options
    nachonacho Posts: 1
    God bless Jamie, his family, and friends. Only knew him through listening to the show, but I considered him a friend, and he will be greatly missed.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    Lol... I just teared up thinking about DMZ!

• Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Had to take a drive today and I listened to the "Jamie" episode from yesterday as well as the old "Best of Jamie D" from a few years ago. It was great but sad listening. Once again I have to say how truly sorry I am that this happened and my thoughts are with his friends and family. He was a good soul. Planet Earth is worse without him on it, but we're all better for having known him and heard so many words of wisdom from him.

(Yes, the DMZ argument with Deemer. Oh my god!)
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Given his love for ""team books" in general, and "The Avengers" in particular, when CGS does their annual awards, they should award "The Jamie D Award" to the top team book of the year.