Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Swap Meet tales

JGalaJGala Posts: 19
edited May 2012 in World of Toys Archive
I hit different swap meets in my area (living in Los Angeles county, California - there can be quite alot) and anywhere I go I always seem to reach the nostalgia point of bursting! I've got my hands on clean ninja turtle toys from the original cartoon, spawn, wrestling, digimon and x-men action figures. I'm still on a major look-out for Medabots. I also go to this guy that specializes in hunting down old super nintendo / 64 games (if you request something that he doesn't already have). Swap Meets are gold mines and I know I'm not the only one that's hit jackpot, lemme know what you've found?

Comments

• GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    We don't have a swap meet but we have a flea market in town that I hit once a month.

One guy has nice collection of 70's to 80's action figures and vehicles, they all look to be in pretty great shape/condition. I'm not in the market for that kind of stuff so i'm not sure if the prices are good or bad. The same guy also has about dozen longboxes of comics, a lot of bronze age stuff then it jumps to the 90's. He won't negotiate prices and wants $2-$3 per issue regardless of title, condition and what not. It's very sad because has 15 of the 25 issues I need to finish my Rom run, with the condition they're in I'm not paying that price.

There is another guy with over 30 longboxes of books from the silver age to present. He's much more reasonable on his prices and will work out a deal with you if you're buying a lot of books. The problem with this guys is, none of his stuff is categorized in any way. He often has stacks and stacks of books sitting on the longboxes and has several more boxes under the tables that you have to crouch down to go through. This is the owner of one of the failed stores here.
  • MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    This is the owner of one of the failed stores here.
    its no wonder his store failed...
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    This is the owner of one of the failed stores here.
    its no wonder his store failed...
    Yep. He and his son would also open up boxes of the Magic the Gathering store product to add to their own decks for tournaments.
  • JGalaJGala Posts: 19
    I once found a Magic card walking home from target and highly considered collecting, I was 11 and was already collecting pokemon at the time so I decided it'd just be too much work to shoot both.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I spent way too much money on Magic from 1997-1999.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    edited May 2012
    We have three in town. Two are just storefronts with booths. You bring everything up to the front register. But one booth usually has some assorted toys for ok prices. And another has lots of just oddball comics. Managed to get 8 issues of Team America,the Marvel early 80s title,for about 4 bucks total.The other one is just a huge quinsot hut this guy sells various stuff out of. But his son collects comics so anything he finds goes to his son. But have found lots of great deals on books there. Also got a DCU Power Girl for around 4 bucks there last year.