Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
I thought it would be a good topic to discuss novels we are enjoying.

Comments

• jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I just finished "White Knight" which is book 9 of the Dresden Files. Another great volume in what I consider to be a great overall series. I love the characters, the interaction and the story-telling. Jim Butcher writes great battle scenes and loves to throw in humorous pop culture references when it fits into the situation. Really liking this and I have the next book, "Small Favor" in my reading que
    As of now, I am reading "The Hunger Games". I have heard many people say that they devoured this in a weekend and if I had more time to read, I would have done the same. So far, the book is really interesting and I'm loving the characters. I wish I had more time to read.
  • I'm in the middle of "Moneyball" from when Amazon had the e-book for $.25 last week. Next after that is "Hunger Games" and then "Live the Dream: No More Excuses"
  • I finishing up Rothfuss' first novel and then that thing called Hunger Games is next.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I just started "A Dance with Dragons" - book five in the Song of Ice and Fire series by GRR Martin. I'm surprised...many people have told me the series starts to peter out with the fourth book (Feast for Crows) but I found that to be the most enjoyable book in the series thus far. Plots begin to really unravel (or take hold) and the final Cersei chapter was delicious! I'd been waiting 3.75 books for something to happen to that woman! :)
  • I can't wait to find some time and really dig into "A Dance With Dragons". I love the books, and love the show. I'm just staying away from the comic adaptation and video game
  • larrylarry Posts: 125
    I'm reading, at an extremely slow pace, A Dance With Dragons by RR Martin. I am with you Torchsong, I really liked book 4. It may have been because I was late to the party and heard how awful it was. It wasn't hard to exceed my expectations but I enjoyed it!
  • brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    If I hadn't read book 4 in audiobook format, I never would have made it through. It was dreadful. Book 5 started off the same way, but by the second half it had recovered and was quite good.

Bry
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Just curious, Bryan, what was dreadful about it? The writing? The characterization? All of it? I'm genuinely curious because you aren't the only one who said they didn't like four so I went into it with a sense of dread but ended up thinking it was awesome. I've heard most fans prefer book 2 but I felt that one drug along.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    It's hard to find the time to read for fun with my semester really starting to crank up, but I am slowly making my way through A Game of Thrones. Loved the show and was interested in seeing how the book measured up. So far, I'm surprised by just how faithful an adaptation it is. Some characters' ages aside, the show follows the book so closely!
  • JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    transmetropolitan vol 1
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    A Feast for Crows was a great book. I have no idea why it get's such a bad rap. Lots of cool stuff happening..despite there not being Tyrion, Snow, or Daenerys.

A Dance With Dragons is the one that has left the bad taste in my mouth. That mammoth tome was nothing but people traveling..and then when they get to their destinations it just ends. Ugh!

What am I reading? I just downloaded Hunger Games and will be starting that this weekend.
  • I'm about a third of the way through The Hobbit, which I haven't read since I was a kid. I'm also working my way through the Sherlock Holmes canon again, the first Wild Cards book, and a collection of the Boxcar Children books. Oh, and I'm also working on the Hitchhiker's Guide "trilogy"; I'm up to book three.
  • mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 185
    I'm reading "Writing Movies For Fun And Profit" by Robert Garnet & Thomas Lennon. It's really interesting and very funny.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    @jaydee74, be glad you won't have to wait between Changes & Ghost Story.
    @torchsong, the absurdly long wait between books 4 & 5 broke me of the ASOI&F habit. Glad to hear Cersei comes to a bad end, though.
    I'm reading Lord of Sunset by Parke Godwin, a novel about Harold Godwinson, last Saxon king of England.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    I tried to start the Song of Fire & Ice, I really did. Then I looked over at my Robert Jordan books and thought do I really want to read that much again? Any one of those books could stop a tank shell.
    Currently I'm still reading Bourne Identity because my nook is fritzing out and preventing me from finishing Neuromancer.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I've heard most fans prefer book 2 but I felt that one drug along.
    I personally love the second book but in my experience most people seem to love the third(A Storm of Swords).

Tyrion is my favorite character and seeing him trying to run King's Landing(and defend it!) really was fun for me. There are quite a few things from A Clash of Kings that I'm pretty pumped to see done in the 2nd season of the HBO show.

• JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    Currently reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Just starting The Magician King, by Lev Grossman, but I’ve had very little time for it lately. Rothfuss is next in the queue.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Currently listening to The Hunger Games - loving it. Looking forward to the movie(s)

Started reading the 2nd volume of Stuart Clark's triology
    of novels that dramatically bring to life key moments in our understanding of the cosmos – when our view of the Universe changed forever.
    The first, The Sky's Dark Labyrinth, covered the stories Johannes Kepler and Galileo Galilei, the second, The Sensorium of God features Isaac Newton and Edmond Halley.

The third will feature Albert Einstein, Edwin Hubble and George Lemaitre

Highly recommended to history buffs
  • brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    Just curious, Bryan, what was dreadful about it? The writing? The characterization? All of it? I'm genuinely curious because you aren't the only one who said they didn't like four so I went into it with a sense of dread but ended up thinking it was awesome. I've heard most fans prefer book 2 but I felt that one drug along.
    The fourth book featured none of the characters I really enjoy and nothing really happened. It droned on an on about the lineage of certain characters and had long expanses of text describing all sorts of stuff that did nothing to move along the story.

I just found it dreadfully boring.

Bry

• My novel reading consists mainly of Star Wars EU books - currently to start Darth Plagueis and have 4 others before hitting the Legacy of the Force series. Also have a number of samples sent to the kindle app on tablet to try and fit in at some point
  • Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I'm reading "The Right Moment" by Matthew Dallek. It is about how Ronald Reagan winning the 1966 Governorship changed politics. I love Reagan and think he is our one of our greatest President's ever and will read almost anything about him. I think the book is very interesting and would most definitely recommend it.
    @WetRats, really? I'm intrigued. Can't wait to read those now.
    @WetRats, really? I'm intrigued. Can't wait to read those now.
    Each book in the series is better than the one before.

(Though I've gotta admit a real fondness for Dead Beat.

Dead Beat was all kinds of awesome. I'm in the middle of reading "The Hunger Games" at the moment but that's so good, I'll be done with that before I know it and then it's off to "Small Favor".
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Dead Beat was all kinds of awesome. I'm in the middle of reading "The Hunger Games" at the moment but that's so good, I'll be done with that before I know it and then it's off to "Small Favor".
    I want to read Hunger Games. It reminds me of Battle Royale.