Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

GODZILLA 2014 Did you see? Any thoughts?? (SPOILERS)

12346»

Comments

• ajcasperiteajcasperite Posts: 221
    I agree Pacific Rim is better than Godzilla. More spirit, kick ass Kaiju battles, better character development. Incredible CG effects.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Box Office Mojo reports that when you adjust for inflation, the new "Godzilla" is almost certain to fall short of 1998's much-hated "Godzilla" starring Matthew Broderick... ugh.
  • PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

Box Office Mojo reports that when you adjust for inflation, the new "Godzilla" is almost certain to fall short of 1998's much-hated "Godzilla" starring Matthew Broderick... ugh.

Not worldwide though. Same is likely for DOFP. In the US it is unlikely to surpass the overly hated Last Stand, but the worldwide box office is so different it's already by far the most successful movie.

But, having said that I don't anticipate a sequel being rushed into production
  • Planeis said:

Not worldwide though. Same is likely for DOFP. In the US it is unlikely to surpass the overly hated Last Stand, but the worldwide box office is so different it's already by far the most successful movie.

But, having said that I don't anticipate a sequel being rushed into production

Legendary has greenlit it with Gareth Edwards directing again, but are allowing him time for the Star Wars spin off he was recently tapped for. The earliest for the sequel, according to the head of Legendary, is 2018.
  • ajcasperiteajcasperite Posts: 221
    edited June 2014
    Four years for a sequel, jeez. I gotta have my zillia' fix.

Well you didn't get him this year so I can see why you're anxious for a movie....
  • WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Well I finally saw Godzilla this weekend and I gotta say I agree with all the negative commenets about this movie. I walk out and thought to myself that I wished I had seen the Xmen movie again.

I felt no emotion connection to the movie, even in the old Toho studio movies you usually were rooting for Godzilla from the beginning of the movies. He was the Hulk of the monster movie world, the misunderstood hero. In this movie the only character that I started to connect with was Bryan Cranston's character but that did not last long.

I could not stand the look of the MUTOs they looked more metallic then organic and Godzilla reminded me more of Killer Croc then anything else. Every time he stood up all I can see was a guy in an alligator suit.

As mentioned in other peoples reviews their storytelling was not good. The train thing really bugged me, when I saw them delivery the bomb with helicopters I want to scream out "WHY DID YOU NOT DO THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE !!!!"

Finally this is my cardinal sin in movies. I absolutely hate when movies do not do their homework when it comes to movie locations. Having spent my entire life in the SF bay area these thing stuck out like a sore thumb. I know this is a minor quibble to most people but I'll I can think is do your homework. Turn on your laptop and google the information. Get the color and direction of the Chinatown gate right, get the correct logo for BART and the Muni bus system, try to make it look like the Oakland coliseum. Their are way too many problems to list them all.

I will say that this movie gave me and my buddy a good life as we discussed all the things wrong with this picture as we walked back to the car.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

Right here! Oh, you meant the other guy...
    Webhead said:

Finally this is my cardinal sin in movies. I absolutely hate when movies do not do their homework when it comes to movie locations. Having spent my entire life in the SF bay area these thing stuck out like a sore thumb. I know this is a minor quibble to most people but I'll I can think is do your homework. Turn on your laptop and google the information. Get the color and direction of the Chinatown gate right, get the correct logo for BART and the Muni bus system, try to make it look like the Oakland coliseum. Their are way too many problems to list them all.

I will say that this movie gave me and my buddy a good life as we discussed all the things wrong with this picture as we walked back to the car.

I have to agree with this too. Anytime a movie screws up location details that I'm familiar with, it automatically loses points.

For instance, I grew up in Chattanooga, TN. If you believed Iron Man 3's portrayal of that town one iota you'd be the opposite of right. Not just the people or the hick town aspects, but the current nickname for Chattanooga is actually "Gig City" because it has the fastest, most reliable internet in the world.

If you were convinced by Iron Man 3's portrayal, you'd think they were still on dial up wen Tony was trying to get an internet connection. Oh well, comic book movies!

End quibble rant. Back to Godzilla...

Webhead said:

I have to agree with this too. Anytime a movie screws up location details that I'm familiar with, it automatically loses points.

For instance, I grew up in Chattanooga, TN. If you believed Iron Man 3's portrayal of that town one iota you'd be the opposite of right. Not just the people or the hick town aspects, but the current nickname for Chattanooga is actually "Gig City" because it has the fastest, most reliable internet in the world.

If you were convinced by Iron Man 3's portrayal, you'd think they were still on dial up wen Tony was trying to get an internet connection. Oh well, comic book movies!

I almost always give movies a pass on location stuff. Most of the time they are shooting somewhere else anyway. For instance, I liked Cap 2 a lot, but that ain't what Washington DC looks like (they filmed in Cleveland I think, except for a few bits in DC).

Planeis said:

Webhead said:

I almost always give movies a pass on location stuff. Most of the time they are shooting somewhere else anyway. For instance, I liked Cap 2 a lot, but that ain't what Washington DC looks like (they filmed in Cleveland I think, except for a few bits in DC).

I agree, and I do the same, but when it is a town you grew up in, the movie uses it as a plot device, and it is flat out mistaken about the details, well, you know... it takes you out of the movie. At least for me it did.
  • WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Planeis said:

I can forgive a movie for using one city to pass for another city but when they use well known locations within that city and get it wrong is just laziness. Can you imagine the uproar that if in a movie people used The Holland Tunnel to go from Manhattan to Queens, instead of Jersey ? That is what they did when the showed the bus using the Golden Gate to get to Oakland. That is only one of many location issues in this movie.
  • TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    If I played a drinking game where I took a shot every time someone had an amazed look on their face, looking off camera, saying "My... GOD....", I'd have been wasted by the end of the movie.

Dialogue was horrible. Everyone just reported on the monster's location, giving orders, moving the plot along and little else. Only scenes that I cared about was the beginning stuff with Brian Cranston and his wife.

Monster fight scenes teased too much. "Oh! I fight's finally going to happen! Oops! Maybe not!! HA HA!!"

If I ever see a couple giant monsters fighting in front of me, or flaming jets crashing, I REALLY hope I don't just stand there and WATCH.
  • MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    Webhead said:

Planeis said:

I can forgive a movie for using one city to pass for another city but when they use well known locations within that city and get it wrong is just laziness. Can you imagine the uproar that if in a movie people used The Holland Tunnel to go from Manhattan to Queens, instead of Jersey ? That is what they did when the showed the bus using the Golden Gate to get to Oakland. That is only one of many location issues in this movie.
    It's not limited to the US:
    http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2013/11/hollywoods-rubbish-tube-geography-thor-2-unnecessary-distraction

"...when Thor gets on the Tube at Charing Cross and is told by a fellow passenger he is three stops from Greenwich, it’s intensely frustrating.

Unfortunately for Thor, the correct route isn’t quite so simple. He’d have to leave the Tube station, hop on the national rail train from Charing Cross mainline station, and change at London Bridge. And even then to get to Greenwich Park, where shit was going down, it might be quicker to go to Maze Hill station, one stop after Greenwich."
  • It's not limited to Hollywood either. I just watched an independent movie which featured a town a county over from me, only to see the bakery I go to on a regular basis as one of the major settings. The problem is that if you aren't familiar with it it's not going to be distracting because it's no less fictional than anything else that's happening, but when the place is familiar it breaks the suspension of disbelief because it's running contrary to personal experience.
  • EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    Webhead said:

Finally this is my cardinal sin in movies. I absolutely hate when movies do not do their homework when it comes to movie locations.

Being from just south of Detroit, whenever someone mentions this, I always think of Robocop.

Not the first film, but in the 3rd (I believe), there is a scene where the Detroit police, in a show of solidarity, come walking on a street over a hill to face the bad guys. I suppose it is a very impactful and dramatic shot... if it wasn't laughable.

See, this street looked lifted from San Francisco. Now, while there may be a few small rises in the Detroit area, it is basically flat. So, I'm watching this movie that takes place in "Detroit" and at that minute, suspension of disbelief was shattered.

(Mind you, it was a terrible film anyway, but that scene was like the dung cherry on the crap cake.)
    SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

The entire amount of Godzilla from the movie.

http://youtu.be/9YsnZ4bYIjs

Godzilla may have gotten solid reviews, but few people probably realize how little screen time the lizard king got. It's was less than 8 minutes, as the above video demonstrates.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

The entire amount of Godzilla from the movie.

http://youtu.be/9YsnZ4bYIjs

Godzilla may have gotten solid reviews, but few people probably realize how little screen time the lizard king got. It's was less than 8 minutes, as the above video demonstrates.

Heck, I'm surprised it was even 7 minutes worth!
  • RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    So frustrated with this movie as many have mentioned above. Interesting for a first movie if you never saw anything like it before. Maddening if you know potential was wasted. And none of the story matched the overall tone of the original. Not that it had to, but I don't see the 'return to greatness' that was promised in a way. Not mad I saw it, but I'm not finding much that would bring me back for further viewings. Sad sigh.
  • Saw the news! Looking forward to new G stuff. Waiting till 2017/18 is too long. I wonder why they never do a kick ass anime G film or G short story compilation. Would be fun I think.
  • Big G Resurgence! Any one going to see it?
  • @ajcasperite just saw Shin Godzilla on the big screen. Liked it more than the American movies but still thought it was crazy and super strange. Ranks somewhere in the middle for me.
  • Saw the news! Looking forward to new G stuff. Waiting till 2017/18 is too long. I wonder why they never do a kick ass anime G film or G short story compilation. Would be fun I think.
    Also, dos you hear about the anime film coming next year? Sounds like you got your wish!