Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1521 Talkback - Previews

Once again it's Previews time! We go through the December catalog for items shipping starting in February. (1:36:28)

Listen here.

Comments

• bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Wow! You guys are johnny on the spot with this edition of Previews! My own copy just arrived a few days ago.

Fun times! Thanks @Adam_Murdough‌ @ShaneKelly‌ @Pants‌ and @wildpigcomics‌ !
  • About 2/3 of the way through this one. Made a mental note to check out "Secret Identity." Definitely has me intrigued.

Also, what was the name of the book you guys talked about where all of these various aging analogs for Superman ended up in this alternate reality with each other? I thought you said it was "The Supremacy" or something-or-other? I'm coming up empty trying to google it.

There were a couple of books that you guys mentioned you were curious about. Let me just say that "Low" and "Deadly Class" are absolute strong "buys" while "Trees" is a weak "borrow" at best. Invested in the first 6 issues or so of "Trees" but I got bored waiting for a plot to develop and eventually dropped it.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Also, what was the name of the book you guys talked about where all of these various aging analogs for Superman ended up in this alternate reality with each other? I thought you said it was "The Supremacy" or something-or-other? I'm coming up empty trying to google it.

From Warren Ellis and Image Comics, that discussion was Supreme: Blue Rose
  • From Warren Ellis and Image Comics, that discussion was Supreme: Blue Rose

Ah, thanks!

• First off, I second Chris’ recommendation of Pistol Whip. It's not as good as Superspy or 3 Story, but it's quality stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing it in color.

Second, and most importantly—BLATANT OVERSIGHT ALERT!—you guys totally skipped over the release of Bandette vol. 2 from Dark Horse. @Adam_Murdough, I think you would absolutely love this series, and you too, @ShaneKelly.
  • playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited December 2014
    @Pants there is no Marvel comics on your store shelves because Marvel pretty much stopped newsstand distribution about a year and a half ago. Same reason you won't find single issues in bookstores.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Masters of the Universe might not be a great He-Man film, but it's a pretty neat tribute to the works of Jack Kirby.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I don't want to buy a Roller Derby Harley Quinn action figure from DC Direct (or whatever their name is now), and yet I totally want to buy a Roller Derby Harley Quinn action figure from DC Direct (or whatever their name is now).

Also, I'm excited to check out that new Black Hood book from Archie. I liked the one issue of New Crusaders I read and keep forgetting to get the TPB though I see it's reoffered so I'll probably jump on that. And the Fox mini-series by Dean Haspiel and Mark Waid, "Freak Magnet," was one of the best comics I read all year. That's being reoffered, too, so if you missed that give it a shot.
  • Locke & Key. One of the best series - easily - that I have read in a long time.

Tragedy hits the Locke family and they move "back home" from the west coast to the east, to Key House, where their father grew up, in the town of Lovecraft, Massachusetts. There they start to discover magical keys that have been secreted all around the house, while an evil spirit, or a demon, if you wish, plots its revenge against the Locke family. The various series follow this demon's plotting while the Locke children must learn what they can in order to fight this evil among them (an evil they aren't fully aware of, at first). In the end, more tragedy befalls the family, and the ultimate resolution isn't necessarily set in stone.

Joe Hill wrote this series of mini-series like a novel. Things that happen early on have consequences in later storylines. He manages to weave it all together in a really masterful way and ties it all up nicely, in the end. His characterizations are excellent for the main characters and he follows some pretty dark narrative threads that illuminate not just the main protagonists, but also thoughts and ideas about humanity (that sounds pretty damn pompous, but it's true, especially with regard to one character who becomes fearless due to an imaginative plot twist that I will not delve into here).

One thing this series benefits from immensely is the fact that it is self-contained and not beholden to any outside continuities. Hill, and artist Gabriel Rodriguez, can do whatever they want with these characters, and the imaginative and horrific twists and turns throughout the narrative are more chilling and more surprising because of this.

And the art by Gabriel Rodriguez is amazing. Originally an architect, this aspect of his art education shines through in the meticulous clarity of his linework. He manages to bring to life all the settings and characters and experiences that Hill throws his way, and does it with consummate skill. I really can't speak more highly about the man's art. It's great.

Seriously, read this book.

chris
  • Here's a Previews related question. What do you do with your old copies of Previews? I have a magazine box full of them. Do you trash them? Collect them? Recycle them? I'm just curious. This question is for all.
  • smoore78 said:

Here's a Previews related question. What do you do with your old copies of Previews? I have a magazine box full of them. Do you trash them? Collect them? Recycle them? I'm just curious. This question is for all.

Recycle.
  • Recycle.

I use to try and cut things out for carous reasons but then had way too many to go through and got rid of them.
  • Great episode as always! I was happily shocked to see Previews happen so early in the month. That was a great treat!

I am so excited for all of these Star Wars titles coming from Marvel....the amount of variant covers is a bit much, but I can live with it.

I have the Locke and Key hardcovers, but only started reading the first one. I got them because I heard from so many people how great they are....when that happens, I usually skip the trades and go right for the hardcovers....has yet to let me down (did that with The Walking Dead, Invincible, and Fables).
  • Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    smoore78 said:

Here's a Previews related question. What do you do with your old copies of Previews? I have a magazine box full of them. Do you trash them? Collect them? Recycle them? I'm just curious. This question is for all.

I recycle mine as well. Typically, I have three at any given time. The month we're currently in, and the two months following. Any time a new edition comes in my DCBS box, the oldest gets sent to the recycle bin.
  • Recycle.

I use to try and cut things out for carous reasons but then had way too many to go through and got rid of them.

Thanks for the responses. I wanted to cut into them too, to make a collage in my comic armoire, but I didn't know if they are considered a collector's item or not.
  • ShaneKellyShaneKelly Posts: 155
    edited December 2014
    No problem and I never considered them collector items just catalogs. :)
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    edited December 2014
    wow I'm really surprised to hear you guys have not read Locke and Key. I love that series so much I would read those trades before the walking dead. It almost got picked up as a TV show as well I never saw the pilot but I do have the trailer I will post a link later
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Chris continues to gush wildly (and appropriately) over Lazarus. I think that the crew should take this up as a Book of the Month selection.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    edited December 2014
    yes another thumbs up for Lazarus here.

As for the counter earth, in Hickman's Avengers Ex Nihilo twinned the Earth which is the new counter Earth I don't think the High Evolutionary counter Earth ever came back.

Trailer for the Locke and Key a TV that was never picked up
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Corwin said:
    That was so good and seemed really faithful to the book. Too bad this is all we get.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Lazarus: I also agree with Chris on this one. In the letters pages, as well as having the back history matter, Rucka also invites questions, discussion, and suggestions from the fans AND also discusses how possible that today's world might become the Lazarus world.

Darth Vader: The DCBS website says 1 and 2 of 6. I think that means limited/mini-series.

Thanks for mentioning Tuki, Valiant, and oh!: I see Love and Rockets New Stories Volume 7 has been re-solicited.

Thanks for getting this Previews out early.
  • How did you guys skip over the HC Superman/Batman Michael Turner Gallery Edition? One of the best comic artist ever ... taken way before his time, his Superman/Batman run in the original pencils. A MUST HAVE.