Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Muddle the Murd Archive

Comments

• CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Retro
    episode 1350 submitted by Eric Bennett
    1. Indy pre 1970. In Marvel Family #1 we are introduced to Black Adam and the Gods from who he gets his powers. What is the more common name of the God Heru?
    Horus
    2. Marvel 1970-2000. In New Warriors vol 1 the villainous Sphinx creates an alternate reality. By what name is the Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel known in this reality?
    Sceptre
    3. DC 2000s. In JSA vol 1 #44 What was the name of one of Teth-Adam's sons?
    Gon and Hurut

Murd got the first question right. Not muddled
    Episode 1470
    submitted by Min @bamfbamf‌ Yang
    1 Pre 1970 INDY What is the name of the first Asian American comic hero in Blazing Comics #1 from 1944?
    The Green Turtle
    2. 1970-2000 Marvel Name two Asian American characters and their powers from this era?
    Jubilation Lee produces mutant fireworks
    Turbo has a powered flying suit with wind powers
    and many others
    3. Post 2000 DC. What was the name and secret identity of the only Cambodian American hero to star in his own New 52 title?
    OMAC Kevin Kho

Murd answered the second correctly. Not muddled.
  • bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    OMG! GONNA LISTEN TO THE EPISODE NOW!!
    Episode 1470 Deceive the D
    Submitted by Adam Southerns
    1. What was the affectionate name of the three computer whizz kids in the X-Files?
    The Lone Gunmen
    2. In the Simpsons what was the name of the psychedelic pepper Chief Wiggum slipped into Homer's Chilli?
    Guatemalan Insanity Pepper
    3. In the Gilmore Girls which real rock star played a garage band rocker?
    Sebastian Bach of Skid Row

Jamie got the first one right, Not deceived
    edited April 2014
    episode 1471
    submitted by James 'Mr. Cosmic' T
    1. Pre 1970 Marvel. What Kirby monster was a criminal from Groot's planet as seen in Tales of Suspense #15?
    Goom
    2. 1970-2000 DC In the epilogue of Superman annual #11 we see Mongol's dream of the great powers kneeling before him. What Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons character is included in the line-up?
    Bolphunga the Unrelenting from Mogo doesn't socialize in Green Lantern #188
    3. Post 2000 Indy. In Saga we learn of the war between Landfall and Wreath, why has the fighting been outsourced to other worlds?
    Because destruction of one home planet would send the other spinning out of orbit.

0 out of 3. Muddled!
    edited April 2014
    episode 1471
    submitted by Alex Martin
    1. In the UK detective show Morse the christian name of the main character was kept secret for a long time. What did it turn out to be (and why)?
    Endeavour, from Captain Cook's ship
    2. In Robin Hood from 2006 who played Guy of Gisborne?
    Richard Armitage (Thorin in the Hobbit movies)
    3. What did the British people vote the funniest moment in television history?
    Del Boy falling through the bar in Only Fools and Horses
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtboTwW-Jao
    0 out of 3 Deceived!
  • WhirlwindWhirlwind Posts: 94
    Caliban said:

Episode 1201 - submitted by Andrew 'Rens' Salend

1. Marvel 1960s. Name 2 Golden Age characters who had a counterpart of the same name in 1960s Marvel, although they were completely different characters?

Answers.
    1. Human Torch and Angel

I know this is quite a throwback, but would Black Widow also be correct here? How about the Whizzer?
  • Whirlwind said:

I know this is quite a throwback, but would Black Widow also be correct here? How about the Whizzer?

Yes. The Vision, as well.

• WhirlwindWhirlwind Posts: 94
    Caliban said:

Episode 1470
    2. 1970-2000 Marvel Name two Asian American characters and their powers from this era?
    and many others

I'm just catching up with past episodes, so I just heard this Muddle the Murd today on the way home. Aside from the five named, I thought of two more that many may miss: Midnight's Fire and Silhouette, from the early-90's New Warriors, were half-African-American and half-Cambodian.

I just thought I'd throw that out there. I like this game, even know I really only know Marvel.
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Whirlwind said:

Caliban said:

Episode 1470
    and many others

I'm just catching up with past episodes, so I just heard this Muddle the Murd today on the way home. Aside from the five named, I thought of two more that many may miss: Midnight's Fire and Silhouette, from the early-90's New Warriors, were half-African-American and half-Cambodian.

I just thought I'd throw that out there. I like this game, even know I really only know Marvel.
    Not to mention Mantis, who was Vietnamese and became the Celestial Madonna. She was a martial arts fighter with an empathic awareness.
    1473 submitted by Mario Muscar
    Ditko special
    1. Marvel pre 1970. In Strange tales #119 Doctor Strange encounters Aggamon. what pocket dimension does Aggamon rule?
    The Purple Dimension
    2. DC 1970-2000. In Stalker #1 what demon lord does Stalker defeat to achieve immortality?
    D'Grth
    3. Indy Post 2000. In Ditko's ongoing self published comic what is the name of the crime-fighter heroine who contorts her face as she fights the villains?
    Miss Eerie

Murd answered number 2 correct. Not muddled
    1473 Deceive the D submitted by Dane Granham

1. In Kolchak the Night stalker serries 1 episode 17 which actor who would later be famous for riding a motor cycle played the volunteer sacrifice victim?
    Erik Estrada
    2. In Emergency (1972-79) what was the name of the hospital?
    Rampart
    3. In the Poseidon Adventure who played the trained diver?
    Shelley Winters

Jamie answered number 2 correctly so not deceived and the validity of question 3 was not an issue.
    edited June 2014
    1481 Submitted from Daniel Kemp

1. Pre 1970s DC. In Jimmy's D-Day adventure from Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #86 Jimmy uses Prof Potter's time bomb to go back to 1944. What alias does he use in his encounters with the Nazis?
    2. Marvel 1970-2000. in Fantastic Four #296 the Thing encounters the team for the first time since Secret War? Who wrote this anniversary issue?
    3. Indy post 2000. In Grant Morrison's Happy! a cartoonish blue Pegasus helps a hit man catch a serial kidnapper and save Christmas. What is the name of the main protagonist?

1. General Von Olsen
    2. Stan Lee
    3. Nick Sacks

0 out of 3. Muddled

Supplemental
    In episode 1484 Daniel submitted a substitute question one
    In Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #44 who does Jimmy kiss to transform back from a werewolf?

Answer: Kara Zor-El: Supergirl

Murd couldn't answer this one so still muddled
    1478 submitted by AJ Kesperite

1.Pre 1970s Indy (sort of). The first US published Godzilla comic was a promotional comic in the summer of 1976. What movie was it promoting?
    2. 1970-2000 Marvel. In the 1977 Godzilla: King of the Monsters comic what US state did the big G first appear?
    3. Post 2000 DC. Godzilla lived on Monster island. There is a similar dinosaur island in DC comics. In New Frontier dinosaur island was revealed to be an alien being called what?
    1. Godzilla vs Megalon
    2. Alaska
    3. The Centre

0 out of 3 Muddled
  • JaxUr said:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvBRHb0CIAEdJTO.png:large

Murd, have you been cast as the new Aquaman?

Somebody hand me my trident! :)>-
  • Episode 1518 submitted by Chris Weiherer (aka me)

1. Independent Prior to 1970: What is the real name of the android NoMan of T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents (first revealed in T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents #1 in 1965)?

2. DC 1970 to 2000: In the Jonah Hex Spectacular from 1977, what is the name of the man who (SPOILERS) kills Hex and has the bounty hunter’s body stuffed for display?

3. Marvel post 2000: Toward the end of Ed Brubaker’s run on Captain America, who is revealed as the new Scourge of the Underworld?

1. Answer: Dr. Anthony Dunn
    2. Answer: George Barrow
    3. Answer: Dennis Dunphy aka D-Man

Murd answered the first question correctly, and he answered questions two and three incorrectly, so he was not muddled.

Almost got 'em...
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited January 2018
    Episode 1520 submitted by yours truly:

DC - pre-1970's:

Q - In issue #152 of World's Finest (cover date August 1965), Superman and Batman initially get their butts kicked by a duo of super-powered yutes named Speed Kid and Force Boy (aka "The Colossal Kids"). What was later revealed to be the reason for how Speed Kid and Force Boy were able to get the better of them?

A - They were actually Mister Mxyzptlk and Bat Mite in disguise.
    (Gotta love Supes looking like he's ready to go all "Adrian Peterson" here and throw these kids a beatin' )

Marvel 1970s:
    Q - In issue #2 of Super-Villain Team-Up from October 1975, Namor is chained up in the secret lair of the diabolical (yet unfortunately named) Dr. Dorcas. Namor is unable to summon the strength to free himself until he goes into a rage after the diabolical (yet unfortunately named) Dr. Dorcas kills what person?

A - Betty Dean Prentiss (former love interest of Namor)
    ("Dorcas, you unfortunately named son of a bitch!")

Independent - 2000s:

(Please note - I'm classifying this as "Independent" even though DC published it at one point):
    Q - Mark Waid's series "Empire" (initially published by Gorilla Comics, and then DC, and now Thrillbent) takes place in a world where a Dr. Doom-like super-villain named Golgoth has succeeded in killing all of Earth's superheroes and now rules as Emperor. In the series, what was the name of his only known remaining relative?

A- His daughter, Delfi.
    ("OH EM GEE! You're just the best evil daddy ever!")

Murd, still reeling from the long Thanksgiving/Black Friday weekend at the Christmas Barn, was totally off his game, going 0-3 on the day, and giving me my first successful Muddle. I was concerned he would file a protest though over Peter attempting to bring things to a premature close by chiming in with the answer on #3. Alas, he took his defeat honorably.
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Episode 1522 Talkback: Off the Racks: All-New Captain America #1, Capture Creatures #1, and ODY-C #1

DC PRE-1970
    In a story called "Perils of the Stone Age" which was published in Star-Spangled comics #71, Robin, the Boy Wonder travels to the Stone Age. How does he accomplish this?

ANSWER: Hypnosis

MARVEL1970-2000
    In Marvel-Team Up #95, Peter Parker is coming back from an assignment in Los Angeles. Who sent him?

ANSWER: The Daily Globe

INDEPENDENT 2000-PRESENT
    In the Doctor Who: The Forgotten #3, the Fifth Doctor along with his assistants Tegan and Turlough find themselves surrounded by the alien race known as the Judoon. The Judoon are on a quest for an object. What is the name of that object?

ANSWER: The Eye of Akasha
  • Haven't listened to Muddle in a long time. I thought it was wierd to have such a long backlist, but I'm proof that it can happen. I've read about 5% of all the books I've gotten since January (even a couple of months before that, I think) that i've considered dropping my pull list altogether, at least until current storylines finish. Honestly, I don't miss them that much and I feel that I should devote my time and money somewhere else for now...
  • Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited January 2015
    Episode 1515: Comic Talk

1. Pre-1970 DC

Q: In the story "Secret Of The Sunken Satellite!" from The Flash #109, The Flash encounters two aquatic races. Name one of them.

A: The Maugites and the Saremites

2. 1970-2000 Marvel

Q: What is the name of the alien race that plans to buy the Earth from Lila Cheney in The New Mutants Annual #1?

A: The Vrakanin

3. Post-2000 Independent

Q: In Brian K. Vaughan's Saga, what is the name of the novel that Alana becomes obsessed with?

A: A Night Time Smoke

Murd correctly answered Question #3. Not muddled.

Episode 1526: Post-Christmas Mishmosh

Pre 1970 Marvel:

Q: X-Men #1 saw the debut of Magneto, who would go on to become one of the X-Men's deadliest foes. What less-than-memorable villain made their debut in issue #2?

A: The Vanisher

1970-2000 DC:

Q: What is Mister Nebula's real name?

A: Kirtan-Rodd

Post 2000 Indy:

Q: In Evan Dorkin's The Eltingville Club, the main character, Bill, is soaked after standing in the rain while waiting to get into the local comic shop. Upon entering the shop, the owner gives him a hilariously over-sized t-shirt to replace his own wet garment. What comics-related character appears on the t-shirt?

A: Dick Tracy

Murd answered none correctly. Sufficiently muddled.
    Episode 1544 The London Super comic convention CGS panel

submitted by me, Eamonn Clarke. London edition

1. DC Pre 1970s. Bill Finger and Dick Sprang introduced The Batman of Britain in Batman #62. The character was known as the Knight. What was his secret identity?

Percival Sheldrake, the Earl of Wordonshire

2. Marvel post 1970. In ASM #95 Peter Parker follows Gwen Stacey to London. When an American diplomat and his son are kidnapped by terrorists which London landmark myst Spidey rescue them before the bomb goes off?

Big Ben.

3. Indy Post 2000. In Mark Millar and Dave Gibbon's Kingsmen: Secret Service series a British spy must recruit and train his nephew in the family business. What is the appropriate literary sounding name of the spy (which was changed for the movie)?

Jack London

Result. 0 out of 3. Muddled and Adam handed over a DC Villains handbook as a prize.
    Just a note that I can't keep up with recording the Muddle of Murd archive.
    Please add your questions and answers to this thread when they get read out on the show.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited April 2015
    Comic Talk: Episode 1555

(Submitted by me, here's the less-wordy version, in @Pants' honor :) )

Pre-1970's Independent / Archie Comics

In Life With Archie #46, (February 1966) the origin of the super-hero persona Pureheart the Powerful is finally given an origin story. What was the name of the book in which Archie Andrews learns of the "PH factor" and discovers how to turn into Pureheart the Powerful?

Answer: "Happy Hallucinations and How They Happen" (see below)

1970-1990 DC

In the short-lived series "Prez," Prez Rickard ran for and won the election for the Presidency of the United States. Who did Prez Rickard select as his Vice President?

Answer: President Prez Rickard selected his mother, Martha Rickard

Post-2000 Marvel

In the 2009 series Captain Britain and Mi13 issue #10, Doctor Doom and Count Dracula meet at an Apollo landing site on the moon to agree to a non-aggression pact in order for Dracula to be unopposed in his conquest of the United Kingdom with his army of vampires and other supernatural villains Lilith, Captain Fate, and Baron Blood. During this surreal encounter, what armor defense does the King of Latveria boast of that would protect him against an attack by the king of the vampires?

Answer: Doom claims that his armor contains splinters of the "True Cross", insinuating that bits of the cross of Jesus Christ are embedded in his suit. Given his penchant for time traveling, I suppose it's possible.

Murd correctly answered Question #2. Not muddled.

• Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    (I don't remember the episode number but it was recent)

DC PRE-1970

The Flash #158

Q: Flash encounters a weapons-running alien villain named the Breakaway Bandit. This menace can separate his body into its component parts without harm(and he doesn't even have to say "SPLIT!").

At one point it's revealed that the Bandit's brain is not found inside his head. It's actually located in what other part of his body?

A: His hair!

MARVEL 1970-2000

Marvel Premiere #5

Q: Agamotto the All-Seeing! Omnipotent Oshtur! Hoary Hoggoth! The Vishanti made their first on-panel appearance to Doctor Strange in Marvel Premiere #5. What were the three "Fleshly Guises" the Vishanti chose?

A: A green woman, a bug-eyed man, and a cat. ("Woman, Man, Cat" is good enough!)

INDEPENDENT 2001-PRESENT

The Manhattan Projects

Q: Which two scientists are at one point or another are replaced by evil doppelgängers?

A: Oppenheimer and Einstein

Robert Oppenheimer was killed and eaten by his evil twin brother Joseph - taking his place and joining the Manhattan Projects. Albert Einstein was replaced by Albrecht Einstein - an evil double from another dimension.
    Nice job @JaceTheComicSource - you only had to wait 16 months! And with a video submission no less! Maybe you can post a link to the video here. Congrats!

I always appreciate that @Adam_Murdough remains so unflappable, even in the face of defeat.
  • Nice job @JaceTheComicSource - you only had to wait 16 months! And with a video submission no less! Maybe you can post a link to the video here. Congrats!

I always appreciate that @Adam_Murdough remains so unflappable, even in the face of defeat.

Put the video up on YouTube for those that want to see it. Here is the link

https://youtu.be/J8UTfnghbeI
  • CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    I submitted one awhile back (like a LONG time ago) and never heard anything about if it was used or even if it was an acceptable submission. If it's ever used, someone tag me please!
    This was my second attempt to muddle the Murd. My first attempt failed back in April 2015, and about a year later I tried it again (originally emailed this on April 25, 2016).

+++++++++++++++++++

Pre-1970s Marvel

Black Bolt, ruler of the Inhumans, demonstrated the destructive power of his voice as an infant with a screaming temper tantrum. He was immediately placed under exile in a soundproof chamber until he could be trusted never to speak again, no matter what. At what age was he finally trusted to be released from exile?

Answer: Black Bolt's father Agon, greeted him on his 19th birthday with news of his freedom in the Inhumans origin back-up tale originally printed in the Mighty Thor #149 (Feb 1968)

1970-2000 DC

In Superman #308 (1977), who convinced Superman that Krypton's existence was actually just a delusion that Clark himself had created because he couldn't deal with the fact that he was actually a mutant - and NOT an alien from a destroyed planet?

Answer: Superman's cousin, Supergirl, lied to him because she was concerned over his mental health, due to his recent attacks on oil supertankers in an effort to defend the Earth against destroying itself with pollution.

(To prove she was telling the truth, Supergirl smashed up the Fortress of Solitude - destroying mementos and displays of Clark's 'alien heritage'. Telling him to 'shove it' and 'stop being maudlin' about his 'false' history. What better way to treat the mentally unbalanced than to make up a whole new lie for them to believe? LOL)

Post 2000 Independent

In the recent Bloodshot Reborn annual 2016 from Valiant comics, our hero is dispatched to take out the Silver Lake Slasher, who is an obvious homage by writer Jeff Lemire based on the Friday the 13th movie baddie "Jason" who terrorized Camp Crystal Lake. What is the Silver Lake Slasher's name?

Answer: the nearly indestructible antagonist is named "Jacob" who turns out to simply be a misunderstood monster that was also nanite-infested by Project Rising Spirit, just like Bloodshot.

Result. 0 out of 3. Muddled.

Looking forward to that Tom Hodges sketch @Adam_Murdough! No rush though. I will savor this entertaining victory while I wait. I still can't believe it :)
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited July 2017
    A humiliating display on my part as @Adam_Murdough goes 3 for 4 against me, beating me like I stole something. Brings our career record against each other to 1-1. And, no, that wasn't an intentional softball at the end. Total brain fart. For some reason, I thought Murd didn't read "Saga."

DC Pre-1970s:
    Q - In Teen Titans #4, Speedy joins the team when he helps them solve a missing persons case at what event?

A - The 1964 Olympic Games in Tokyo (Editor's Note: Right out of the box, Murd avoids the Muddle. And, yes, just guessing "The Olympics" did indeed suffice)

Marvel 1970s:
    Q - In the 1970's, Marvel published a black and white Planet of the Apes comic featuring a recurring story line called "Terror on the Planet of the Apes." The series involved human and chimp friends on the run after being framed for murder. In issue #4 of the series (January 1975), they meet a Davy Crockett type ape who would go on to remain allies with them for the remainder of the comic's run. What was his name?

A - Gunpowder Julius (Felt pretty good about stumping him on this one, and rightfully so.)

Independent Post 2000:
    Q - In Brian K. Vaughn's "Saga," the story's protagonists are being pursued by several individuals throughout the course of the book, one of whom is a bounty hunter named "The Will." Accompanying The Will is an animal companion that he uses as a truth detector. What is this animal's name?

A - Lying Cat (Thank God he got the Teen Titans one. It's bad enough I have to hang my head in shame after the verbal smackdown from @Pants over my "softball" question. It would've been too much for me to take if it all came down to this.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PS - Bonus Question:

Q - What do The Whizzer, Spitfire, She-Hulk, and Spider-Woman all have in common?

A - Aside from never having been in Pants' kitchen, they all gained their powers as a result of receiving blood transfusions.