Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1529 Talkback - Comic Talk

i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 781
edited January 2015 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
The latest in a long line of CGS multi-topic gab sessions, coming your way! On the agenda for this episode are reactions to IDW's recent acquisition of Top Shelf Productions; anticipation of Marvel's upcoming original Netflix series; salivation over the mid-season premieres of 'Gotham' and 'Agent Carter'; and an announcement concerning the CGS Best of 2014 Awards!

Listen to the show!

Comments

• CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited January 2015
    I missed the second episode of Agent Carter?! Oh noes! *jets off to rectify this*
  • @CageNarleigh‌ It was a two hour premiere, so technically that first airing was episode 1 and 2. Episode 3 airs tomorrow night.
  • I missed it airing on ABC and I don't own a DVR so I had to get it from a "less than savory" source.

Evidently they split it up into two parts and I only downloaded the first part.
  • @i_am_scifi‌ Would you be able to list the categories for the "Best Of" voting?
  • @i_am_scifi‌ Would you be able to list the categories for the "Best Of" voting?

I copied the below from the 2013 Best Of post. Just update for 2014.

The CGS "Best of" Awards are returning to put the final stamp on another year in comics, and YOU can be a part of the excitement! Here's this year's revised and reduced list of categories:

BEST NEW HERO (debut in 2013):

BEST NEW VILLAIN (debut in 2013):

BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2013):

BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2013):

BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT:

BEST STORY IN A SERIES OR MULTIPLE SERIES:

BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT:

BEST ONGOING COMIC (doesn't need to have started in 2013):

BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or reprint collection):

BEST WRITER:

BEST ARTIST:

BEST WRITER/ARTIST:

BEST INKER:

BEST COLOR ARTIST:

BEST LETTERER:

BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2013:

To participate in our political process, just e-mail your nominations for the above-listed categories to bestof@comicgeekspeak.com by 5:00 pm on Monday, January 27. The person/character/publication/etc. that receives the most listener votes in each category, and that has not already been nominated by one of the Geeks, will become the official "Listeners' Nominee" in that category on the final ballot.

Remember, to be considered complete and valid, your entry must include nominations for NO FEWER THAN EIGHT of the sixteen categories, and no more than ONE nomination per category, please!
  • Thanks, @CageNarleigh! I just posted this year's official announcement here, in the main forum.
  • Solid episode but I am jonesing for some in-depth comic analysis. Anything like that coming up soon?
  • I for one *loved* Agent Carter. Thought it was absolutely great. The Agent Carter / Jarvis dynamic is fantastic, and Hayley Atwell really showed her comedy chops in that episode. I love the whole idea that she can run rings around all of the male agents combined (not to mention beat the living daylights out of them), but has to play the role of the dainty secretary in front of them.

I thought the bit with Leviathan communicating with it's agents via that typewriter was very cool. Not sure why, but it made me wonder if perhaps Leviathan is directing this from the future? (Could Leviathan be *gasp* ... Ultron? :wink: ) Also, if the thing about "the future" were true, would be kind of nice at the end of the story arc, that Peggy learns that Steve Rogers actually survived and is alive in the future.

Favorite line: "Oh, that's Sarah. She's a slut."
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    The Leviathan organization could be from Hickman's Secret Warriors.
    Same thing with some Hydra members in Agents of S. H. I. E. L. D. The Hydra Doctor was also another character from Secret Warriors and ironically enough the Fall season finale really makes AoS feel like Secret Warriors.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Thanks, guys! I'm looking forward to the nominations! IDW/Top Shelf? Very interesting, but I still can't afford those artist's editions. :neutral_face: Netflix: Oh, well. I have no access to Netflix here in Japan. I hope my relatives will let me binge when I visit. I gotta see Daredevil, Defenders, Alias, etc. Ohhh, an ugly muddle from the Murd! Oh, well. Gotham/Agent Carter: Thanks for the discussion guys! I'm relying on you for my info cuz I can't see them here.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    There is a way around regional restrictions. Look into getting your own VPN.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Corwin said:

There is a way around regional restrictions. Look into getting your own VPN.

@Corwin Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it.