Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Book of the Month Club Category

David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
edited January 2015 in Book of the Month Club
First. a tip of the hat to @fredzilla‌ for suggesting that Book of the Month Club discussions should have a category of their own.

The idea for this section of the forums is give listeners a place to discuss the upcoming CGS BOMC selections, and give the guys an easy place to find those discussions when it is time to record the episode. This is also a place to discuss those episodes, as well as to recommend some BOMC classics from the archives that newer listeners might not have heard yet (feel free to find one in the archives and start a new thread for it); or to recommend books that you think would make for BOMC selections in the future.

The talkback discussions for new and recent BOMC episodes will remain in the CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs category, alongside the other numbered episode discussions.

Comments

• bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    This is awesome! Thanks @David_D.

Not to quibble, but I think maybe it was @Pants' idea. Let me check.

So should we post which BOMC we would like the geeks to discuss in the future here, or discuss the ones that have already been announced? I noticed some other threads that you've created already for the upcoming Infinity Gauntlet and Sex Criminals BOMC discussions.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited January 2015
    Whenever someone says "not to quibble", you can expect a quibble.

To be clear (because we wouldn't want someone be thanked without clarification!) @fredzilla‌ took the initiative to reach out to me about @Pants‌ saying, on the show and in the forums, that it would be good to have threads in advance of the recording, the way we used to way back when. @fredzilla‌ also had a persuasive argument for why it should be a separate category, so that it would be more highlighted and easier to find. So, a tip of the hat to him, for reaching out to me about this to get it going, and for helping to plan where to put it, and what should be there.

Regarding suggestions of future BOMC selections, there is a thread that got moved here already doing that. Whenever a new BOMC selection is announced, anyone is welcome to make a new thread for it and get the discussion started.
    I think you missed the link, but - credit where its due...

Thanks @fredzilla!
    David_D said:

Regarding suggestions of future BOMC selections, there is a thread that got moved here already doing that. Whenever a new BOMC selection is announced, anyone is welcome to make a new thread for it and get the discussion started.

May I suggest you amalgamate this thread from @shaneb with this new one you've created?

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited January 2015
    You are actually linking to the thread that is already here in this category. I didn't create a thread for suggestions, I moved the one that @shaneb‌ created to this category. Like I said in what you quoted, and linked to in my first post.
    I get it now. I'm getting too old to understand things without them being repeated over and over these days. Which is why I read comics over and over I suppose.
  • Tell the truth @bralinator‌... you were just hoping for another appearance by the Hoff.

You're right @TheOriginalGMan‌, one can never get enough Hoff.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I didn't mean to cause such a kerfuffle! However, @bralinator‌, the impetus for my idea was @Pants‌' discussion about it. I'll gladly give him credit! I just approached @David_D‌ to get it started before they Geeks recorded the next BOMC. I figured that the Geeks are busy doing things for the show and so we could alleviate some the heavy lifting in getting it started. I'm excited for this new category!
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited January 2015
    FYI - This is from the comiXology thread, but I wanted to let you all know about these deals too. Usually Marvel puts out a small selection of digital collections on sale each month. I was able to grab the Infinity Gauntlet collection (#'s 1-6) for only $4 last month. If you need to get the book to participate and have some time, may I suggest In Stock Trades? They are sponsors of the show and have a great selection and prices.

Sandman Vol 4 - Seasons of Mists TPB - $11.59 (42% off)
    Infinity Gauntlet TPB - $14.49 (42% off)
    Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus - $72.50 (42% off)
    Sex Criminals Vol 1 - One Weird Trick $5.79 (42% Off)

However, you may also find an occasional good deal on comiXology. Here's what they have right now:

Marvel Collections Sale for $3.99
    Avengers Forever (buy this, read it, and then go listen to this and this for a recent BOMC discussion)
    Avengers Assemble
    Captain Marvel Vol. 1: In Pursuit of Flight
    Deadpool Vol. 1: Dead Presidents
    Deadpool vs. Carnage
    Hawkeye Vol. 1: My Life As A Weapon
    Siege
    X-Men: Days of Future Past
    fredzilla said:

FYI - This is from the comiXology thread, but I wanted to let you all know about these deals too. Usually Marvel puts out a small selection of digital collections on sale each month. I was able to grab the Infinity Gauntlet collection (#'s 1-6) for only $4.

Sweet deal. The trade in digital I think was $9.99 on Amazon Prime, so this is a much better deal. Thanks for the links @fredzilla‌ - and no quibbling, I'm mostly just harassing the mod. Poor form, I know.

:)