Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Book of The Month Clubs We Want to Hear

So as an avid Book of the Month Club listener, there are a lot of books I want to hear covered.
Some ideas:

Saga of Swamp Thing vol. 1
From Hell
Earth X
Preacher vol. 1
Paying For It
Black Orchid
Long Halloween

Any ones people would like to hear?

Comments

• ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    More of Miracleman.

And Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, at least through the "American Gothic" storyline.
  • PantsPants Posts: 567
    We've got a few titles we're considering including at least one of the ones listed. Seems that there's also one of them that is very long overdue.

Be sure to check out the lastest BOMC - Castle Waiting Volume One.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Yes. Earth X, University X, Paradise X... Any of these would be a treat. Thanks for the reminder @Pants‌ - at least I can listen to Guardian Devil BOMC. Never heard that before!

• shanebshaneb Posts: 109
    I think I would generally just like to see a lot more from Vertigo, especially some of the older titles that stand out.
    Just listened to episode 1252 again. Son of the Demon, Lost Girls, Pride of Baghdad, Arkham Asylum, Parker the Hunter, Haus, even Red Son or All Star Superman. Lot of good choices mentioned there.

Always nice hearing Jamie D again too.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I would enjoy the geeks covering the rest of Morrison's run on Animal Man. IIRC the group was split on the first trade. With half hating it and half loving it.

Or,and yes I know I am one of the few fans of this series,But would love a BOMC on YEAH!.
    I would love to hear a few more kind of "alternative" graphic novels. I'm thinking stuff by Chester Brown, Joe Sacco, Daniel Clowes, and others, I think that there are a few stand outs that would be a real hit.
  • WebheadWebhead Posts: 458

Yes. Earth X, University X, Paradise X... Any of these would be a treat.

DITTO

• Hulk: Future Imperfect and Hulk: The End would be a fun one. Those two stories are usually collected together, and a new version of the collection will be out in May.

Hulk: Future Imperfect and Hulk: The End would be a fun one. Those two stories are usually collected together, and a new version of the collection will be out in May.

Agreed. We need more of the green goliath on CGS.
    The different Jeph Loeb/Tim Sales Marvel titles would be good too.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    I'd like to see the guys follow up on at least one of the 2000 AD offerings that Caliban offers each year.

Also:

Marshal Law
    Lazarus
    Black Science
    Great Darkness Saga

and I'm sure many, many more.
  • When I saw the Future Imperfect TPB solicitation I thought Hm..... I could go for that.

I also like the idea of the Great Datkness Saga. I never read it. I picked up a copy in the last year.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

When I saw the Future Imperfect TPB solicitation I thought Hm..... I could go for that.

I also like the idea of the Great Datkness Saga. I never read it. I picked up a copy in the last year.

It really is a seminal work.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Here's a few from me.

Alan Moore's run on Supreme. There is two trades collecting all of this.
    MORE MIRACLEMAN.
    Showcase Presents Warlord volume 1-Great Grell artwork with decent stories.
    Essential Killraven-One of those great Marvel's 70s non-superhero titles that gets almost no talk.
    YEAH!- I know,I know I talk about this book all the time. But that is because I believe it should have been huge. And how can I pass up an all ages book by Peter Bagge.
    The Maximortal and/or Bratpack-With the geeks doing the One as a BOMC selection. I am wanting to hear their thoughts on more Veitch superhero deconstruction.
    Didn't trade come out recently that collects the first 6 issues of Afterlife with Archie? If so that is one I would love to hear the geeks thoughts on.
    Bat Manga-I know Murd has read it. What about the other geeks.
    Judgement Day by Alan Moore-Moore's rebooting of the Extreme/Awesome universe. Which seems to be forgotten.

• I'm not certain anyone will care, but most recently, the most interesting, compelling and enjoyable comic I've read was "Punk Rock Jesus".

I just thought it was "deliciously sacrilegious". I'm not sure who else read and enjoyed this. But I enjoyed it so much it's the ONLY thing I can think of that deserves the Book of the Month Club treatment.
    edited January 2015
    Earth X
    Kingdom Come
    The Long Halloweem
    Superman: Red Son
    Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph & Torment
    Doctor Strange: Into Shamballa
    Daredevil: Born Again
    Afterlife With Archie Vol 1
    Killraven
    Hulk: Future Imperfect
    Son of the Demon
    Conspiracy of the Planet of the Apes
    Pride of Baghdad
    Parker the Hunter
    Maus
    All Star Superman
    Wasn't All-Star Superman already done? I also feel like something was done with Kingdom Come, but not a regular BOMC.
    shaneb said:

Wasn't All-Star Superman already done? I also feel like something was done with Kingdom Come, but not a regular BOMC.

Looking through the episode guide, I see that there actually was an 'Off The Rack' from way back in episode #227 that I should listen to focusing on All-Star Superman issues 1-6, so they shouldn't bother with making it a BOMC also. And you're right, they also did an 'Off The Rack' in 2008 for Kingdom Come, in episode #417. Ditto on no need to make it a BOMC. Thanks for the heads-up @shaneb!

Here's a handy list of all the official CGS BOMC episodes we can peruse. The more recent Off The Rack episodes generally tend to cover only a single issue or a story arc.

• fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I don't know what the chances are, but I would love to hear a BOMC of Eric Shanower and Skottie Young's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. We've all heard some of Mr. @Adam_Murdough‌'s thoughts about the art, and ever since the Top 5: Wildcard episode, I think this would be fun.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I'd also love Saga of the Swamp Thing vol1 from Alan Moore's run.
    Ghostbusters would be fun
    Long Halloween
    Has American Vampire been done?
  • I would like to hear a discussion of March, either volume 1 or 2 (or both). I don't know if you've done Fun Home in the past, but that one would be interesting, as well as American Born Chinese and/or Persepolis.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The Infinity Gauntlet and Earth X were always at the top of my list. I'm excited to hear the IG discussion and I still have my fingers crossed for Earth X. In either case I'd love for Bryan and Peter to be involved but I know it's unlikely.
    So this summer is Marvel's Secret War. How about revisiting the original Secret War? I know there's some books to be done before now and then, but just putting it out there.
  • PantsPants Posts: 567
    There are Footnote episodes on each issue of Secret Wars that were done back in 2008-9.
    Just after I clicked "Post Comment" I thought, I should check to see if they did an episode on it already. Ever the helpful bloke, @Pants. I've learned my lesson. Thanks! :)
  • popestupopestu Posts: 782
    Excuse me if some of these are done already...
    Kingdom Come
    Watchmen
    The Fifth Beatle, the Brian Epstein Story
    Thor God of Thunder, God Butcher and Godbomb
    Saga
    Flex Mentallo
    Planetary
    Allstar Superman
    Earth X
    Shade The Changing Man, Peter Mullig
    JLA, Giffen and DeMatteis
    Preacher
    FEI (for everyone's information, including mine!) - previous BOTMC episodes taken from the CGS main website.

Akira vol.1
    Animal Man vol.1
    Arana vol.1: Heart of the Spider
    Arkham Asylum
    Atomic Robo vol 1
    Authority - Vol 1
    Avengers Forever #1-6
    Avengers Forever #7-12
    Avengers: Kree/Skrull War
    Banana Fish Volume 1
    Bayou vol.1
    Best of the Spirit
    Blacksad
    Blankets
    Bone One Volume
    Booster Gold
    Buddha vol.1: Kapilavastu
    Captain America: Truth
    Castle Waiting Volume 1
    Cerebus vol.2: High Society
    Cerebus vol.3-4: Church & State
    Cerebus vol.5: Jaka's Story
    Cerebus vol.6: Melmoth
    Chew vol.1
    Criminal
    Crisis on Infinite Earths
    Crying Freeman Volume 1
    Daredevil: Guardian Devil
    Death Note vol.1-2
    DMZ vol.1-2
    Elephantmen volume 1
    Fables vol.1: Legends in Exile
    Fables vol.2 & 3
    Flash: Return of Barry Allen
    Goon vol.1: Nothin' But Misery
    I Am Legion
    Inhumans
    Invincible vol.1: Family Matters
    Iron Man: Demon In a Bottle
    It Was the War of the Trenches
    Jonah Hex Vol 1
    JSA: The Golden Age
    Kabuki vol.1: Circle of Blood
    Kraven's Last Hunt
    Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service
    Life & Death of Captain Marvel
    Lone Wolf & Cub vol.1-2
    Manhunter
    Marvels
    Maze Agency vol.1
    Monster vol.1-2
    Monster vol.3-4
    Promethea vol.1
    Question vol.1: Zen and Violence
    Saga Volumes 1 and 2
    Sandman
    Sandman: Dream Country
    Sandman: Season of Mists Episode 0-3
    Scott Pilgrim vol.1 and 2
    Squadron Supreme
    Star Wars Legacy - Vol 1
    Strangers in Paradise - Volume 1
    Strangers in Paradise - Volume 2
    Strangers in Paradise - Volume 3
    Strangers in Paradise - Volume 4
    Strangers in Paradise - Volume 5
    Strangers in Paradise - Volume 6
    Superman: For All Seasons
    the 'Nam vol.1
    The One
    The Sandman: The Doll's House
    Tick: the Complete Edlund
    TMNT Volume 1
    To Terra Volume 1
    Tomb of Dracula Essential vol.1
    Understanding Comics
    Unwritten vol.1
    V for Vendetta
    Walking Dead vol.1
    Walking Dead vol.2-5
    Walking Dead vol.6-8
    Wanted
    Witchblade
    Witchblade - Volume 2 & 3
    X-Men: Dark Phoenix Saga
    FEI (for everyone's information, including mine!) - previous Footnotes episodes taken from the CGS main website.

Footnotes episodes: "In this series we will take in-depth looks at classic runs of comics, one issue at a time."

JLA/Avengers 1 - 4
    JSA 0 Secret Files
    JSA 01 - 12
    Justice League 01 - 12 (Bwahaha League)
    Justice League Annual 1
    Secret Wars 01 - 12
    The Titans 23-25 (Donna Troy)
    Thor 337 - 347 (Simonson run)
    Watchmen 01 - 12
    World's Funnest
  • dukealoopsdukealoops Posts: 19
    The trade is due out very soon, so I'm suggesting "The Valiant". The recent mini-series writeen by Jeff Lemire & Matt Kindt. It's of course published by Valiant Entertainment. It's a nice self contained story & a great chance for new universe to give the universe a chance.

Hope that sounds good to anyone else.