Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1531 Talkback - Comic Talk

Things get loud and silly in this episode, as Axel Alonso and Tom Brevoort (in sound-byte form) clarify the core concept, and consequences, of the upcoming 'Secret Wars' event for us; Shane reacts, sans spoilers, to 'Star Wars' #1; Pants shares some news from the comic convention circuit; Murd reviews the first two issues of 'Gotham By Midnight'; and the cheese stands alone.

Listen to the show!

Comments

• Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    Another great episode, gents! My only concern with the Secret Wars is that it is going to jumble up my Marvel books that I am loving. Similar to @ShaneKelly‌ my Marvel pull list has gone from 0 to 8 and rising over the last year. Conversely my DC pull list went from 10 down to 3 over the last year, so whatever they want to do can't make it much worse . . . and I don't think I will ever stop buying Batman, or Red Hood (promised the brother in law that I would buy it for him every month). Thanks again, Geeks!
  • Options
    This provided an excellent distraction on my LaGuardia to DC, then DC to San Antonio flights today. Job well done as always, fellas.
  • Options
    Listening to the discussion of Star Wars #1 and two things come to mind:

1. "Farsi is a language on Earth," within its proper context in this episode, is the best comment I've heard all week. Thank you, Murd & Pants, for bringing a big smile to my face

2. I was lucky. I started reading comics in 1984 and was there during the dark times between issue 107 of the original Marvel run of Star Wars and the first issue of Dark Empire from Dark Horse. During those intervening years, I managed to accumulate a full run of the Marvel books - all reader copies, but many in extremely good condition - for a pittance, through Mile High and other back order entities. To see the excitement, as well as the concomitant insane prices some of those initial Marvel books go for, surrounding the publication of this latest iteration of Star Wars makes my inner child give a fist pump, cuz I got those classic issues when nobody else wanted them. (though, I need to go back and find a collection that would include the final 8 issues of that run, now, because I had those in pristine condition and traded them for a mint, years back, to fill in gaps elsewhere in my collection. Ah, consumerism)

chris
  • Options
    JaceTheComicSourceJaceTheComicSource Posts: 140
    edited January 2015
    Good stuff Geeks. Secret Wars is a reboot, relaunch, restructuring of their universe. Labels don't really matter, they can call it what they want. The bottom line is that is will clean up their continuity and multiple realities/universes and allow for newer readers to have an easier time indoctrinating themselves into the Marvel Universe. I believe they are making this move in hopes of converting more fans of the Marvel Cinematic Universe into comic book readers. I am sure by the time SDCC rolls around Secret Wars will be well underway and they will make announcements similar to DC in 2011 about the ease of entry for new readers with the titles starting after Secret Wars. I only currently read Moon Knight, Ultimate Spider-Man and Hulk from Marvel because the 1000's of Avengers titles, X-men titles and constant re-numberings have turned me off. The GotG family seems to be growing at an exponential rate as well. So many things Marvel(Disney) does seems so sales driven and short-sighted I just worry. For the record DC doesn't seem much better these days, though their mistakes seem to be more of the bone-headed variety rather than out of greed.

Anyway, keep up the great work!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I really enjoy Gotham By Midnight as well. Another new series that is set in Gotham and is really well done is Gotham Academy. I can't recommend both books enough.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Folks who like the new Star Wars book may want to check out the Star Trek/Planet of the Apes miniseries "The Primate Directive" now running. The art is really good and the depictions of the actors from the different franchises nicely captures their likenesses. Plus the issues include nice essays by comic Dana Gould. His love of all things Ape is a frequent topic on his podcast. He even once lived i Roddy McDowell's house. It would be interesting to hear the CGS crew's thoughts.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Well, I'm looking forward to getting my copy of Star Wars #1 as well as the companion issues (Darth and Leia). Should be interesting. I'm "one of those guys" who bought my Star Wars comics in the bags at the supermarket and I never saw the movie until maybe 3 years later! // My reading of DC and Marvel have pretty steady over the last few years. I usually read a LITTLE more Marvel than DC, but like Uncle Sal has said, I think DC has some great characters so I'll keep supporting them no matter what. The big difference in my comic buying lately is that I'm buying more independent books that before (such as Tuki, Lazarus, Velvet, Trees, Sex Criminals, and Fade Out). //Wow, ECCC was bought out by Reed (sic)? Well, I'm looking forward to see if there are any major changes when I go this year. // I haven't read the 2nd issue, but like Murd, I also liked that 1st issue of Gotham by Midnight. Very interesting.
  • Options

and constant re-numberings have turned me off.

And how much do you want to bet the constant re-numberings is business as usual post Secret Wars.
    Personally I think it is so cute the way Marvel covers currently have three digits for issue numbers where issue 1 is "001". Right there is any intention of ever using more than two of those digits.

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    LOL good one @Dan_in_WI now am I understanding Secret Wars all wrong?

I thought Secret Wars was going to change the Marvel Universe going forward. I did not think it was going to touch Marvel History unlike DC's reboot.