Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Harrison Ford to [appear] in {completely unnecessary?} Blade Runner Sequel

Comments

• There is no Blade Runner sequel, and there never will be. Nope. Nothing you can say or show me will convince me that it exists or ever will exist.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

There is no Blade Runner sequel, and there never will be. Nope. Nothing you can say or show me will convince me that it exists or ever will exist.

We can not see it or think of it or acknowledge its existence together.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    No sequel, no reboot. Leave it alone!!

Though some consider the 1998 movie Soldier by Paul W.S. Anderson to be an unofficial sequel. It's placed in the same fictional universe as the LA of Blade Runner. David Webb Peoples wrote both films and you see an old flying car, multiple references to battles at Tannhauser Gate and the Shoulder Of Orion. Even has a deleted scene that makes more of a connection during the prologue.

• If it's not based (however loosely) on what Phillip K. Dick wrote, it doesn't exist.
    I tried several times to read Blade Runner 2: The Edge of Human which was a direct sequel and it was so unwieldy.
    edited February 2015
    I should say I am one of those BR fans that thoroughly appreciated the voice over by Harrison Ford in the original theatrical run, aka Deckard's 13 explanatory voice-overs. I sought a version with it for years and was thankful it was included in the 2007 re-issue Final Cut.

I also played the 1997 Westwood video game, which was set in a concurrently and even congruently at some instances, more hours than I care to admit. I even own the Vangelis soundtrack on CD. Loved, loved, loved this film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHkAZlq4HBs
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I've never even seen the first one. But I've heard it was a classic, yes?
  • I tried several times to read Blade Runner 2: The Edge of Human which was a direct sequel and it was so unwieldy.

I think the problem you were having reading it is that it doesn't exist.
  • I've never even seen the first one. But I've heard it was a classic, yes?

One of, if not the, most influential films of the ’80s.

I tried several times to read Blade Runner 2: The Edge of Human which was a direct sequel and it was so unwieldy.

I think the problem you were having reading it is that it doesn't exist.
    That would make sense.

I've never even seen the first one. But I've heard it was a classic, yes?

One of, if not the, most influential films of the ’80s.
    The.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    At this point, does Ford just seem to be going back to the wells he's been turning his back on for decades? Surely he's collecting royalties, so he doesn't have to go back.

M
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Maybe at 72, these are the best parts he can still get where he is considered a "star" and not a secondary character?
    I'm hearing Ford's pulling a Charlton Heston move a la Beneath the Planet of the Apes to appear in Star Wars VII. Gone in the 2nd act. These continued offers to reprise 30 year old roles must be ones he can't refuse. I can't believe they're all based on artistic integrity.

I'm hearing Ford's pulling a Charlton Heston move a la Beneath the Planet of the Apes to appear in Star Wars VII. Gone in the 2nd act. These continued offers to reprise 30 year old roles must be ones he can't refuse. I can't believe they're all based on artistic integrity.

So basically, he's going to do exactly what I figured when I heard he'd signed for Episode VII. If he wanted to be less predictable, Solo would make it through the whole 3rd act of the Star Wars story.

M
    Matt said:

So basically, he's going to do exactly what I figured when I heard he'd signed for Episode VII. If he wanted to be less predictable, Solo would make it through the whole 3rd act of the Star Wars story.

M
    That's right. As you can see from this thread, it appears Ford's recent intentions aren't creativity.
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    WetRats said:
    Worldwide Gross: $786,636,033

They learned hwo to make a lot of money. That's what they learned.
  • kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451

Matt said:

M
    That's right. As you can see from this thread, it appears Ford's recent intentions aren't creativity.
    I wonder if the Han Solo character won't get killed off. That's what Ford wanted to happen in ROTJ.

• DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Call me crazy but I liked Crystal Skull.
  • kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    DAR said:

So did I Mr Crazy.

kiwijase said:

DAR said:

So did I Mr Crazy.

You'll definitely enjoy this then

http://youtu.be/-zphhfHon_I
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    DAR said:

I thought it was a lot of fun, and while people seemed to be upset over the courageousness of the plot, need I remind you that Indy once lashed himself to a submarine's periscope, rode across the ocean and was there when God struck down all of the bad guys with fire and he escaped by closing his eyes.

At the risk of once more kicking of the corpse of Indy 4, I was unimpressed. Often, when people defend Crystal Skull they use the raft from Temple of Doom and the submarine ride of Raiders. I disagree that such comparisons are valid since the execution in the original trilogy was far superior. As for the Ark of the Covenant, it's easy to believe that God or whatever spirits inhabited the ark wouldn't punish Jones in Raiders. He was only trying to save the ark from falling into evil hands and looked away, indicating that he was not involved in disturbing the ark. There are no spirits that would save him from blunt force trauma and bone-shattering impact of riding in a nuked fridge.

The original trilogy managed to maintain tension and excitement throughout their duration, Crystal Skull was all about ensuring us that no one was ever going to really get hurt like it was a Looney Tunes cartoon. This movie needed more Paul Verhoeven style violence and less cute groundhogs and Tarzan monkeys. Did I mention the Caddyshack gopher looked more realistic than all these things?

In my opinion, it just wasn't a very good story. It was poorly written and had an excruciating amount of exposition. Besides, why show an old Indy? I thought he drank from the Holy Grail and would never age. Or was that retconned? And whatever happened to Marion Ravenwood? She used to be feisty and tough, but in this she's a damsel in distress and all lovey-dovey. Not to mention the several unfinished and pointless plot threads or the fact that the movie featured the least dangerous villain Indiana Jones has ever faced. And the climax was a hot mess. After a chase scene where Mutt would make Peter Parker jealous, we get this strange ending that really makes no sense... I could go on, but there's little point.

For me, it's the weakest of the Indy films. But for others, while they may share that opinion, they still consider it good entertainment or at least suitable time-waster. More power to them. Please reboot and recast this it if you ever revisit this world, Speilberg.

Besides, why show an old Indy? I thought he drank from the Holy Grail and would never age. Or was that retconned?

I still miss Really Old Indy from the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. He's been completely purged from the DVD versions.

Besides, why show an old Indy? I thought he drank from the Holy Grail and would never age. Or was that retconned?

It won't stifle aging. The only evidence I have for that fact was that the last of the 3 brothers was an aged knight. I can't picture him making the journey at that advanced aged. Plus, we've seen old Indy bookend the Chronicles.

And whatever happened to Marion Ravenwood? She used to be feisty and tough, but in this she's a damsel in distress and all lovey-dovey.

I blame Donald Sutherland.

M

Matt said:

It won't stifle aging. The only evidence I have for that fact was that the last of the 3 brothers was an aged knight. I can't picture him making the journey at that advanced aged. Plus, we've seen old Indy bookend the Chronicles.

Nope. Lucas cut those out for the DVd releases.
    I last watched the movie on DVD. The knight looked like Jaga from Thundercats. What did Lucas replace those scenes with? Is it the Blu-Ray version?

M
    Matt said:

I last watched the movie on DVD. The knight looked like Jaga from Thundercats. What did Lucas replace those scenes with? Is it the Blu-Ray version?

M

I think he means the Very Old Indy scenes.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    The Case for Crystal Skull: The return of Marion Ravenwood.

The Case against Crystal Skull: Everything else.

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

I think he means the Very Old Indy scenes.
    ;)