Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1547 Talkback - Spotlight on the Fantastic Four in the John Byrne Era

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited March 2015 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Because Jamie D Demanded It! Presenting a detailed look at a period of Fantastic Four history (1979-86) dominated by the creative vision of one of comics' most singular talents, John Byrne! As penciler, writer, inker, and all of the above, Byrne restored lost grandeur to the First Family of the Marvel Universe, giving them new costumes, a new member, new life challenges, and a newly expanded cinematic scope to their adventures; while giving comics posterity six years of memorable stories and THE definitive portrayal of Dr. Doom. Don't miss the CGS treatment of the run that made the Fantastic Four cool again! (3:05:26)

Listen here. Feel the Byrne!

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    @Pants - the excitement generated by the flair with which this entry was written decidedly makes this your
    Greatest. Post. Ever.

Looking forward to this spotlight gentlemen. I"ll have to grab my first volume of the Byrne FF omnibus (if I can lift it...!)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Epic! Thanks guys!
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567

@Pants - the excitement generated by the flair with which this entry was written decidedly makes this your
    Greatest. Post. Ever.

Alas I was simply cutting and pasting the writing of our own @Adam_Murdough whose words never cease to amaze me.
  • Options
    Let me say thanks for the timely release of the episode. I was checking ever half an hour or so during my 9+ hr drive, so it was a welcome site to switch up from old episodes to a new one and as a bonus it was 3 hours and I only had 2 hours to go. Finished it up, but too tired to give my thoughts right now. I'll let you know tomorrow!
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    WOW! So happy to see that this episode has arrived! Cannot wait to listen! Thanks very much for this one, guys!
  • Options
    Pants said:

Greatest. Post. Ever.

Alas I was simply cutting and pasting the writing of our own @Adam_Murdough whose words never cease to amaze me.
    Credit where it's due, of course. Have listened to only the first 45 minutes and enjoying this already. One of my favorite runs in Marvel Comics and my very favorite from John Byrne.
  • Options
    @tolworthy - I really enjoyed the pages predicting the now imminent reboot or "end" of the Fantastic Four on your website. Quite a lot of fun speculation there. I recommend it to any FF fan.
  • Options
    Guys, I am not trying to be one of those guys that just complains, but please ... pretty please turn your mic sensitivity down, but some of you guys just get so ... exuberant that I can't even understand what you are saying because my speakers are just filled with crackle. Even on a low volume here it just sounds horrible.

I really enjoy listening to your stuff, but it is getting harder and harder to be happy about clicking "play" when I know my ears are gonna be paying the price for their desire to hear what you guys have to say. You guys are redlining at least 4 or 8 times an episode now. It is like you guys are screaming right into the mic at times.

Again, man, honestly not trying to be a typical internet hater. I do love what you guys do, it is just this one thing, this one aspect that is just painful to hear.

Thanks for the time. Gonna try and listen to this again tomorrow. Peace.
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    ptsteelers,

Pants did turn some of the mics down this episode. It sounded much better to me. I'm sure there were still a few moments that popped, but all in all it was greatly improved.

Sooner or later those dials will be in the right place.

Bry
  • Options
    You are correct about that Bryan, the sound quality has been getting better. In fact, I feel bad for not mentioning that in my post.

Again, I am not trying to be a complainer, I do enjoy this show greatly (you guys are always the first podcast/bookmark I click on to see if there are any new episodes) and appreciate all the hard work that goes into making these things (and all the harder work that is getting ready to happen, hopefully) I was just at a bad place last night and I just had to get that off my chest.

Off now to listen to this Bronze Age FF in full. The episode I know Jamie is smiling about as he listens from above.

Peace.
  • Options
    I'm only into the second hour, so I can't say with total certainty, but so far I thinks it's sounded great. I've heard before it when it's been bad, and this hasn't sounded like one of those episodes to me - so far.
  • Options
    Just started listening to this one today ... 3 hours of FF talk? WOW!
  • Options
    gingpogingpo Posts: 21
    I really missed out on the Byrne era of the FF as I started collecting comics well after it was over. I love John Byrne's work, both scripting and penciling, and he is probably one of my all time favorite artists. I will definitely be searching the back issue bins for his FF run after hearing about how amazing it was.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    Excellent Spotlight as always, fellas! When you mentioned issue 236 of Fantastic Four, I was immediately reminded of one of my favorite issues of What If? that often gets overlooked:

In this issue, Ben, Alicia and Franklin are left behind in Liddleville by Reed, Sue, and Johnny, for what they believe will be, essentially, a week's vacation. Ben wishes to remain human for as long as possible, while Alicia is left to believe this is indeed the real world. Instead, Ben discovers something much darker has occurred. Because of Ben's selfishness, even for this short a time, the rest of the Fantastic Four wind up killed by Doctor Doom, who then traps the three in Liddleville...FOREVER! *bum bum bum*
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    edited April 2015
  • Options
    SharkJumperSharkJumper Posts: 204
    This is one of those runs I have to go back to. At the time, when Byrne took full control in 1981, his inking and retro 60s look during the first few issues was a turn off for picky me. I checked in from time to time but didn't come back full time until the end of the run when Jerry Ordway and maybe Joe Sinnott were inking. So I need to give it a proper read.

Personally, I didn't think FF had lost much grandeur. Perez did some fun work on the book in the 70s and that year-long saga by Marv Wolfman with Galactus vs. the Sphinx is one of my favorites.

I'm off to listen.
  • Options
    SharkJumperSharkJumper Posts: 204
    Three wonderful hours later...

I am glad Chris mention the Wolfman issues.

I think you might have skipped over this early issue but there was an issue called "The Man with the Power". I think this was heavily swipped from an old Outer Limits episode of the same name.

And Yes, Yes, Yes to spotlights on Two-in-One and Team Up. Heck, I'd even listen to one on Spidey Super Stories! :)
  • Options
    I have been waiting eagerly for this episode and was in no way disappointed. John Byrne and George Perez continue to be my favorite artists. I always enjoyed and very much miss Jamie's speaking rhapsodically on Byrne's FF run. I wish we could have heard him again here but kudos to all for an excellent episode! Perhaps some sort of addendum with some recorded bits of Jamie talking about the era would be possible. In any case, I appreciate all your great work and enthusiasm for the topic!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    My first comic was Fantastic Four #270. The FF have always been my favorite superhero team and Byrne's run is amazing. You guys knocked it out of the park..great job!
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    edited April 2015
    Quasimodo: If I remember correctly, it was the Silver Surfer who gave "Q" the ability to move by using his power cosmic to give "Q" an organic body. I'm pretty sure it happened in FF Annual 5. Ah, I found a link:
    http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronocomic/entries/fantastic_four_annual_5_silver.shtml
    Let's see, #201-231, I was pretty much up on a base in northern Japan and I was only collecting X-Men through subscription at the time. So I had exposure to Byrne's work, but after #200, I wasn't reading much F.F. except an issue here or there. So, it's nice to have the story gaps filled in by this spotlight.
    232 and on....Man, I just love you guys' enthusiasm about these issues! I was in England and Hawaii during this time and thus had access to a majority of the issues and loved them. Unfortunately, I sold them back in '93. I've been slowly getting them back in dollar bins, since 2009. As Chris said, they're readily available, but it's been hit-or-miss in finding the issues for me.
    Great episode!
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    So I'm driving home from work and listening to this episode. Something was said that I didn't know before and I figured I'd share my thoughts on it here. Then the theory of right-handed spiral staircases and castle design was discussed and complety blew the original thought out of my head.

Who knew...
  • Options
    This was my Fantastic Four. I bought issue 260 from the spinner rack at Bill's on Jamaica Ave. I still have it. Everything afterwards never atisfied me...with the exception of a few Simonson issues...until Hickman's run.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Listened to this on my drive home from NJ (for East Coast Comicon - where I finally got to meet @wildpigcomics, and the pleasure was all mine, sir!) to Rhode Island and loved it. Like so many others, this era was definitely *my* Fantastic Four... though I came onto it in the aftermath of Secret Wars, which although was a great time period for the book, it's also a weird jumping on point if you're expecting the traditional FF! Nevertheless, good times were had, and now, damn it, you've made me want to go back and re-read it all again! :D

I read a lot of the Thing's solo series at the same time, but that never resonated as well with me. A little of mopey Benjy goes a long way, and this book was issue after issue of mopey Benjy. Where was the Ever-Lovin' Blue-Eyed Idol of Millions from Marvel Two-In-One? Some of the Rocky Grimm, Space Ranger stuff was fun, though, especially the story that crossed over with FF #274, the one with the kinda-sorta Universal monsters and their master, Dr. Julius Ackermann, the Monster Maker! It was years before I got the reference, but even then I loved that story.

Oh, and a quick aside about #275. Remember the sleazy magazine publisher who tried to print the naked photos of She-Hulk? He's featured prominently on the cover:

Now, true believers, picture him with a mustache and tell me who he looks like, circa 1984? Excelsior! :))
  • Options
    gingpogingpo Posts: 21
    I have a friend who has a weekly stand at a nearby flea market that always has a large supply of $1.00 books. I scoured the boxes he brought this week and managed to find almost the entire Byrne run of FF!
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Caught up on this today.

Here's something worth looking at that wasn't mentioned:

By John Byrne. I feel like this is right up @chrisw 's alley.
  • Options

Caught up on this today.

Here's something worth looking at that wasn't mentioned:

By John Byrne. I feel like this is right up @chrisw 's alley.

This issue is in the back of my Trial of Galactus tpb.

• Options
    Incidentally, this trade (and my Born Again and several others) was torn and battered in a car accident my folks had on their way to parent's weekend when I was in college. I recently unearthed it. I'm debating to use this for my first go at book binding.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I'm still listening to this one and I'm glad someone brought up the Kirby in 236 issue. I'm Jack's infamous 1986-7 interview with The Comic Journal he spoke about this with such venom I didn't recognize it as being something he would say. This was also during the time when he was in a legal dispute with Marvel over the return of his original artwork as a result of them sending him a specially written, restrictive agreement instead of the standard agreement given to all other Marvel artists.

Jack was also not fond of Byrne calling himself "The New Kirby" (and at conventions it was rumored that he said he was better than Kirby which Jack referenced quite a few times in interviews at the time) and felt that he was part of the group who worked at Marvel during his 1975 - 1978 run who made the time there difficult.

It's all behind the scenes stuff, but it certainly explains why Kirby was so upset when they took one of his storyboards from his work on FF cartoon, recut it and printed it without paying him...selling it as a new Kirby FF story made for the comic when it was anything but.
  • Options
    Wow! Somehow I never finished this 3 hour opus of greatness and it just hit my queue tonight while mowing the lawn. Excellent work, as always. Great to hear @brydeemer and @ShaneKelly along with the always enriching teachings of @wildpigcomics and the effervescence of @Pants.

@Adam_Murdough's notes at the end were a perfect coda. Also enjoyed hearing call-backs to Jamie D. This episode was timeless, which is another reason I love the Spotlight episodes.

Any further movement on that Marvel Two-In-One Spotlight you guys mentioned?

... hint, hint

Thank you so much fellas.