Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Collection Management software

I've reached the point where I can no longer remember if I have an issue when looking through the back bins and realized I need some way to categorize. What does everyone use? I'd probably prefer something web based for convenience but all recommendations are wanted.

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited April 2015
    www.Comicbookdb.com is quite sufficient for me.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I have the CLZ Comics app from www.collectorz.com on my iPhone ($14.99). I tried the desktop version, but as it is kinda pricey, I haven't made the whole plunge yet. I like having it on my phone as I can scan barcodes to add instead of doing it on a computer. Also, if I'm someplace where I want to buy books and not sure what I have in my collection, I just have to pull out my phone and a list of my collection is there in a matter of seconds/minutes. Sure beats the Excel spreadsheet I created years ago to manually keep track.
  • Options
    I use itrackmine.com which is a free web based tracking site.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    fredzilla said:

I have the CLZ Comics app from www.collectorz.com on my iPhone ($14.99). I tried the desktop version, but as it is kinda pricey, I haven't made the whole plunge yet. I like having it on my phone as I can scan barcodes to add instead of doing it on a computer. Also, if I'm someplace where I want to buy books and not sure what I have in my collection, I just have to pull out my phone and a list of my collection is there in a matter of seconds/minutes. Sure beats the Excel spreadsheet I created years ago to manually keep track.

How big is your collection? Does it take up a lot of memory on your phone? I LOVE the idea of being able to scan barcodes!
  • Options
    I echo these questions. If it's something that's stored elsewhere that I can access via the app, or somehow doesn't take up much space at ALL On my iPhone, I'll buy the app the minute I get paid.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    So I just added my most recent stuff from DCBS and I only have 459 comics, trades, hardcovers and OGNs, and it's using 139 MB on my phone. I have about one more full 6' book case to scan and about 10 long boxes that are nearly full. I believe the developers said they've loaded thousands of comics and they don't notice a difference in performance.

The nice thing with the app is that you upload your collection to their cloud so you're not having to store a lot of the information on your phone. The problem is that if you want to access the info outside of your app (say your computer), you'll have to pay for the program. They have a couple of different programs. One is web-based, so your collection is on their servers and not clogging up your hard drive, and any updates that come to the program you get for free. To my knowledge you can get unlimited cloud storage for your collection. You can also access your collection from any computer with an internet connection.

The alternative is the stand alone program which will store everything on your HDD. Any smaller updates to the program are included, but if they overhaul the entire program, you'll have to pay again to use the updated version. And you are limited to accessing your collection to just your computer.

When I purchased the app, I got the bundle on iTunes that had CLZ's barcode scanner (It is $20 for both apps. $15 for the collection app and $8 for the barcode app if purchased separately. I think I paid $17 for both, so it looks like the price went up a bit). There is a barcode scanner included in the collection app that will only work with the app, but I believe if you get the computer-based program, you can use the barcode scanner and bluetooth to scan your books straight to your computer. It really is pretty easy to use.

I think I watched this and it sold me. Even if it wasn't perfect, this guy's example showed me that the basics is what I really wanted and so I figured it was worth the price.

https://youtu.be/Thz4dFpkUzk
  • Options
    Here's the barcode scanning in action. It looks as though this was done prior to the release of the v2.0 app. This is pretty much how it works on my iPhone. I haven't played around with the edit function, but it's there.

https://youtu.be/Jos_owoJuco
  • Options
    Bought the app. Screw payday! Been using it about an hour. Thus far I LOVE it. Barcode is cool but less so than you'd think. Only complaint? The distinction between selecting a single item to view vs checking the box to add it to your collection/wish list is a little touchy. Otherwise great investment.