Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Netflix/Streaming/TV--- Whatcha watching?

Comments

• Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215

Steeven said:

Now if they would just get Nightcourt, the Drew Carey Show, and Newhart, I would be much happy.

And you can get a whole hour's worth of Newhart on Antenna TV every night! I've been watching them since Christmas, and they're still just as hilarious as when they first aired.

I do get Antenna TV, but don't always have time to sit down and watch . . . which is why I love Netflix (I have no DVR).

The few times I've caught it though, I love it all over again.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    edited March 2015
    Been rewatching Justice League Unlimited for the nth time. Also rewatching the Tomb Raider movies (wow these were good).

Are there any good comics in the Tomb Raider / Indiana Jones vibe?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    mphil said:

Been rewatching Justice League Unlimited for the nth time. Also rewatching the Tomb Raider movies (wow these were good).

Five Ghosts has a similar vibe, and I thought the first volume was pretty good. The Young Indiana Jones series Dark Horse did in the early ’90s was pretty good too.
  • Options

mphil said:

Five Ghosts has a similar vibe, and I thought the first volume was pretty good. The Young Indiana Jones series Dark Horse did in the early ’90s was pretty good too.
    I wholeheartedly agree with the Five Ghosts recommendation. And if you liked Tomb Raider you'll probably also like the first volume of Danger Girl.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'm finally done with all the Family Guy they have.

Sooooo ... Bates Motel? Or Sttack in Titan? Or Hannibal? (I think Hannibal is in there)
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Hannibal is not but if you can find a way I highly recommend it
  • Options
    Hannibal is available through Amazon Prime if you have it.
  • Options
    Holy crap, Bates Motel is creeeeeepy.

And that was the first friggin' episode.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Watched the new Robocop on Amazon Prime last night. I don't care how charismatic Samuel L. Jackson is, spending the first ten minutes of an action film on him playing some weird version of... Bill O'Reilly? Glenn Beck? Wolf Blitzer? I've no idea... hosting a news show is a misfire that the movie never really recovers from. I kept waiting for him to turn to the camera and ask "What's in your wallet?" I don't know or care if he meant to be conservative or liberal, I just spent the whole film wondering why anyone, of any stripe, hosting a news show, would be so obsessed about getting armed robots on our streets. And what kind of ratings does a show get that consists of a guy standing on a stage every night and talking about robots?

I also spent much of the film wondering how they got so many Academy Award nominated actors to do it.

As for the rest of the film - unfocused (Were we supposed to be rooting for Robocop to catch his killers? Or shut down the company that made him?), slow (the movie's nearly half over before we even get to Robocop), and even the action sequences felt dull.

Somehow, I've actually never seen the original. I'll have to check it out - it has to be better than this.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

Watched the new Robocop on Amazon Prime last night. I don't care how charismatic Samuel L. Jackson is, spending the first ten minutes of an action film on him playing some weird version of... Bill O'Reilly? Glenn Beck? Wolf Blitzer? I've no idea... hosting a news show is a misfire that the movie never really recovers from. I kept waiting for him to turn to the camera and ask "What's in your wallet?" I don't know or care if he meant to be conservative or liberal, I just spent the whole film wondering why anyone, of any stripe, hosting a news show, would be so obsessed about getting armed robots on our streets. And what kind of ratings does a show get that consists of a guy standing on a stage every night and talking about robots?

I also spent much of the film wondering how they got so many Academy Award nominated actors to do it.

As for the rest of the film - unfocused (Were we supposed to be rooting for Robocop to catch his killers? Or shut down the company that made him?), slow (the movie's nearly half over before we even get to Robocop), and even the action sequences felt dull.

Somehow, I've actually never seen the original. I'll have to check it out - it has to be better than this.

I've never seen the original either. I feel like I should see both.
  • Options
    I also just watched the remake and you are on point in every criticism.

The original is amazing. But don't bother with any of the sequels.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited March 2015
    chrisw said:

Please do yourselves a favor and watch the original guys. It is available on Netflix and you will be pleasantly surprised. Like most of Paul Verhoven's films, it transcends schlock by embracing it. It’s a suspenseful, ultra-violent black comedy that’s both skillfully exploitative and politically astute. The new version shows off products that are all complete successes, while the original showed them in all their faultiness, and that's not the end of the marked differences between the two versions.

Some of the original film's effects look like something from a Troma production. A few of the animatronic special effects are going to look comically dated. And it was of course, the 80's, so there may be a few pop culture references that not everyone 'gets', but the original was way ahead of it's time and didn't need to be remade. The two sequels are best left alone, but not altogether complete wastes of time.

Agreed.

Only drawback is that Netflix doesn't include commentary tracks. There is no such thing as a Paul Verhoeven commentary track that is not worth listening to.
  • Options

chrisw said:

Please do yourselves a favor and watch the original guys. It is available on Netflix and you will be pleasantly surprised. Like most of Paul Verhoven's films, it transcends schlock by embracing it. It’s a suspenseful, ultra-violent black comedy that’s both skillfully exploitative and politically astute. The new version shows off products that are all complete successes, while the original showed them in all their faultiness, and that's not the end of the marked differences between the two versions.

Some of the original film's effects look like something from a Troma production. A few of the animatronic special effects are going to look comically dated. And it was of course, the 80's, so there may be a few pop culture references that not everyone 'gets', but the original was way ahead of it's time and didn't need to be remade. The two sequels are best left alone, but not altogether complete wastes of time.

Agreed.

Only drawback is that Netflix doesn't include commentary tracks. There is no such thing as a Paul Verhoeven commentary track that is not worth listening to.
    Total Recall commentary with Arnold and Verhoven is also quite a thing.
  • Options
    Everything I know about Robocop, I learned from Death Battl, which had him fight the Terminator.

I look forward to some first hand experience!
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    edited March 2015
    Mr. Peabody and Sherman. Of course it can't compare to the shorts from Rocky and Bullwinkle, but still it managed to be funny and surprisingly sweent
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    DAR said:

Mr. Peabody and Sherman. Of course it can't compare to the shorts from Rocky and Bullwinkle, but still it managed to be funny and surprisingly sweent

Agreed. It was a guilty pleasure for me. Couldn't get my wife or my teenage daughter to watch it...

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I watched most of Garfunkel & Oates Season One (and only?) last night.

In episode 2, Tig Notaro has one of the best throwaway lines I've heard in years.
  • Options
    Kill List. wow.
  • Options
    I've just burned through a season of Cheers!
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I've just stormed through the first two seasons of Community, in to the third now and loving it.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I'm about to begin the third season of Game Of Thrones this weekend.
  • Options
    Wolfcop, enough said
  • Options

game of Thrones is on Netflix?

Looks like I have to put Bates Motel is on hold for a bit!
  • Options

Everybody knows @Chuck_Melville don't mess with streaming. He's kicks it old school with a straight up disc subscription.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Watching the Following with the wife. The kids are hooked on 3rd Rock From the Sun.
    Breezing through a ton of anime with the boy, Just binged on Soul Eater and all things Fullmetal Alchemist. Digging Hulk and the Agents of SMASH with the daughter.
  • Options
    Giacamo Feenanay!
  • Options
    "It's my cologne: Dutch Oven."
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

Everybody knows @Chuck_Melville don't mess with streaming. He's kicks it old school with a straight up disc subscription.
    That's very true. However, I am currently staying with some friends who do stream Netflix, and I may avail myself of it to watch the Daredevil series this weekend.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

That's very true. However, I am currently staying with some friends who do stream Netflix, and I may avail myself of it to watch the Daredevil series this weekend.
    We found our first skrull.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

We found our first skrull.
    There've been Skrulls here since the Old Old Old Old Old Old Forum.