Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1558 Talkback - Comic Talk

All the new cameras in the CGS Studio must be giving us Hollywood on the brain, because this episode is dominated by Trailer and Teaser Talk! Following an important personal announcement from Pants, we react to promotional footage for upcoming film and TV projects from Supergirl to Suicide Squad to The Muppets! Plus comic shop talk, notes on the recent Wizard World Philly convention, and other televised tomfoolery. (1:23:57)

Listen and/or watch here.

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited May 2015
    @Pants, so sorry for this major loss in your life. My heart aches for you and your family during this time of mourning. She must have been an amazing lady.

My sincerest condolences.
  • Options
    Thinking of you and your family, @Pants
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    As I said on Facebook directed at @Pants, here's to Brian's original creator. She will be missed.

Related to the episode itself, specifically to something @Peter said, NYCC already has a limit on the amount of passes you can buy per card. From their Ticketing page:
    PLEASE NOTE: In order to keep things fair, we currently have a limit of 2 VIP Tickets per VIP Ticket Type. There is a limit of 4 Tickets per Single Day or Multi-Day Ticket types. You cannot purchase more than 10 Tickets total per order. If we determine that you are ordering under different names and multiple addresses, all of your orders will be cancelled immediately. Any and all scalpers that are identified will have their order(s) canceled and Ticket(s) voided.
    This doesn't completely cut down on scalpers of course, but it at least helps. That way, if they see a listing that is selling 8 passes, NYCC can try and get it taken off Stubhub or eBay.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    I'm very sorry for your loss, @Pants
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    Remember when we used to talk about comic BOOKS?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Very sorry for your loss, Brian, but I'm very glad you were able to help make her last months as enjoyable and fulfilling as possible.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    edited May 2015
    According to Wikipedia! Muppets at 8pm on Tuesdays. It's a half hour show, so it's then followed by Fresh Off the Boat. Then at 9pm is Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
    Flash is scheduled for the same time slot, so they are up against each other.
    Get your DVRs, or in Murd's case VCR, ready.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    She held your hand when you were born. You held her hand when she died.
    If I could choose my exit it would be in a hospice with the comfort drugs and someone who loved me holding my hand.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Pants, my thoughts are with you.

On a note with regard to the Legends of Tomorrow teaser - I can't speak for anyone else, but I would have dug a live reaction to it. Having heard your enthusiasm for other things, it probably would have made for good listening (and now, the video could have been pretty good as well.
  • Options
    ShaneKellyShaneKelly Posts: 156

Now I'm imagining Murd and Shane playing out the scene in City Slickers where Mitch is trying to explain to Phil how to tape something while watching something else. Deemer, of course, would be Ed.

Murd: It's nothing to be ashamed of - I had the same problem.

Shane: Didn't you feel stupid; I mean, didn't you feel... inadequate?

Murd: Yeah, for a while, but then I overcame it. Can I explain it to you again? I mean now promise me you won't get upset.

Shane: O.K.; it's not gonna to do any good.

Murd: O.K., if you want to watch one show but record another show at the same time, the television set does not have to be on channel 3.

Shane: Yeah it does.

Murd: No it doesn't.

Shane: It does.

Murd: No, if you're watching what you're recording, then it has to be on 3.

Shane: What... the TV or... or the machine?

Murd: The TV.

Shane: You're saying I can record something I'm not even watching?

Murd: Yes, that's the point. You don't even need a TV to record.

Shane: How would I see it?

Murd: Well to see it you need a TV.

Deemer: Shut up! Just shut up! He doesn't get it! He'll never get it! It's been 4 hours! The cows can tape something by now! Forget about it please!

Shane: How do you do the clock?

Deemer: You're dead. You are dead.

While I laughed, you have this backward. Bryan would be the same but I think I I would be explaining to conure how to record via DVR.

I know he knows how to do it. Is VCR and I don't even own a VCR any ore LOL.

I love City Slickers , :)
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Pants: My condolences on your loss. Your moving comments on your mom were both touching and brave. It's rare to hear someone so freely express their grief in such a public forum. I know how wonderful hospice care can be. It's a subject nobody wants to acknowledge but so important. Death is treated too casually in our pop culture and mass media. Your commentary was profound.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Very Sad to hear of your loss Brian. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    So sorry to hear of your loss @Pants. My thoughts are with you.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Pants very sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like your mother was lucky to have you as a son and you were lucky to have her as a mother
  • Options
    Brian, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I'm glad that you were with her at the end. And yes, hospice is a wonderful, wonderful thing.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    @Pants, deepest condolences to you and your family.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    @Pants, I'm sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    As a someone who has mostly a nominal relationship with his mother to hear Pants describe her as his best friend was touching. Death may be a fact of life we avoid despite its omnipresence as we get older but I doubt there's a better way to pass then holding your child's hand and I'm sure she was aware of that. My thoughts are with you Pants.
  • Options
    Pants, I was very moved by your openness, and you have my deepest sympathies for your loss.

On the lighter topics addressed, however, I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't feeling Calista Flockhart's Cat Grant. Something about her delivery is weird. I'm looking forward to Supergirl overall, but I agree with Murd; the "teeny-bopper" elements may not be entirely to my taste, which is fine.

I enjoyed hearing the shout-outs to Pottstown, Route 100, and Comics and More Plymouth Meeting. Comics and More used to be my home store, as a matter of fact, and I spent my adolescence living right off 100 near Exton, PA.
  • Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    Deepest sympathies on your loss, my friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I'm looking forward to the new take on a Muppet show. Last time they attempted to make something that felt like The Muppet Show, we got Muppets Tonight, which was alright but never really recaptured the magic. The original is a thing that, although timeless, is very much of its time... everything that came together was due to the people, place, and period, and you're not going to recreate that, nor should you try. I like that they can create something new but still feel like enough the Muppet product we know and love that we'll accept it.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Just started listening to this one this morning. @Pants I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    @Pants my condolences to you and your family. I was able to spend the last moments with two of my grandparents, and wouldn't trade that for anything. As heartbreaking as it is, there is something very special about knowing you were there with them. As my mother says: "No one comes into this world alone, and no one deserves to leave alone."

Mamma Pants shall live on thanks to the many recorded memories on CGS.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    @Pants

I listened to this podcast today. My thoughts are with and your loved ones. You are part of an amazing community. Its times like this that the support of others can help keep you on your feet.

• Options
    @Adam_Murdough

I wholeheartedly agree with your 30 Rock comment regarding the new Muppet Show.
  • Options

Now I'm imagining Murd and Shane playing out the scene in City Slickers where Mitch is trying to explain to Phil how to tape something while watching something else. Deemer, of course, would be Ed.

Murd: It's nothing to be ashamed of - I had the same problem.

Shane: Didn't you feel stupid; I mean, didn't you feel... inadequate?

Murd: Yeah, for a while, but then I overcame it. Can I explain it to you again? I mean now promise me you won't get upset.

Shane: O.K.; it's not gonna to do any good.

Murd: O.K., if you want to watch one show but record another show at the same time, the television set does not have to be on channel 3.

Shane: Yeah it does.

Murd: No it doesn't.

Shane: It does.

Murd: No, if you're watching what you're recording, then it has to be on 3.

Shane: What... the TV or... or the machine?

Murd: The TV.

Shane: You're saying I can record something I'm not even watching?

Murd: Yes, that's the point. You don't even need a TV to record.

Shane: How would I see it?

Murd: Well to see it you need a TV.

Deemer: Shut up! Just shut up! He doesn't get it! He'll never get it! It's been 4 hours! The cows can tape something by now! Forget about it please!

Shane: How do you do the clock?

Deemer: You're dead. You are dead.

BWAHAHA!!!

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Just got to this ep. My condolences.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    abuddah said:

Remember when we used to talk about comic BOOKS?

I don't mind all the tv and movie talk. It's still comics related.

Though it surprises me now when they announce they're doing episodes based on events or stories. I thought those days were long gone, and I'm happy to have them back!
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327

I don't mind all the tv and movie talk. It's still comics related.

And reflects most of the popular threads here on the forum. Or I should say, the ones that actually talk ABOUT a movie/tv and not just rumors/boxoffice/teases,etc. Haha.