Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Tomorrowland

This movie looks like it could be so good.

Am am a bit concerned that Lindelof worked on the script, though...

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Prediction = bomb
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Prediction = bomb

I know they'll sell at least one ticket.

I haven't seen much promotion going on, though.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    I don't care if it's a bomb. It's a movie to take the family. That's a win. I'm glad I don't need sales numbers to dictate what to see. Haha.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited May 2015
    They had me at "Brad Bird".
    The guy has a knack for directing movies I like. I confess, I'm more interested in seeing Tomorrowland than I am Jurassic World.

(Other films directed by Brad Bird)
    2011 Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
    2007 Ratatouille
    2004 The Incredibles
    1999 The Iron Giant
  • Options
    Take no offense, the 'prediction' is based on the odd marketing and the net financials, not on the quality of the movie itself.
  • Options
    When a movie strikes a chord with your family in ways that no other movie has in the past few years, I call that a success. Money well spent this weekend! I'm feeling like a second viewing is in order just to catch everything again. The spirit of imagination in this is so well captured. Bravo all around.
  • Options
    RepoMan said:

When a movie strikes a chord with your family in ways that no other movie has in the past few years, I call that a success. Money well spent this weekend! I'm feeling like a second viewing is in order just to catch everything again. The spirit of imagination in this is so well captured. Bravo all around.

With the film coming in at 49% on the Tomatometer, I'm sure the producers appreciate your enthusiasm. It could use a bump.
  • Options
    Did you see it? What do you care about its success/failure other than "I told you so" bragging rights or the glee in watching something fail? What a loser. Haha.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    @RepoMan

Let's keep this above the level of the school yard. Thanks.
  • Options
    I'm going tonight.

Can't wait!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    @RepoMan did you really just type "What a loser. Haha?"
    RepoMan said:

Did you see it? What do you care about its success/failure other than "I told you so" bragging rights or the glee in watching something fail? What a loser. Haha.

I don't care. And the post you're replying to doesn't indicate that I did. Also, I didn't see it, but I plan to watch it when it comes on Netflix. Not taking any glee in its failure, but yes, it aligns with my prediction that it was poorly marketed and wouldn't do well at the box office.
    David_D said:

@RepoMan

Let's keep this above the level of the school yard. Thanks.

After reading some reviews, it occurred to me that maybe the movie's missing audience has already figured out that they can get global warming Ted Talks for free on Youtube instead of paying $10 to see George Clooney and Disney make a movie about it. Although I hear some of the action bits crackle with life.
  • Options
    NPR's David Edelstein liked it, and he's a reviewer I usually agree with.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    It looks like the sort of thing I would have loved as a kid. I got something of a Last Starfighter vibe from the trailer. My kids are too young to see it this summer, but maybe someday.
  • Options
    David_D said:

It looks like the sort of thing I would have loved as a kid. I got something of a Last Starfighter vibe from the trailer. My kids are too young to see it this summer, but maybe someday.

Critics have called it preachy, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the choir.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

I don't think it's the preachiness that has kept mainstream audiences away. Just the marketing. But when I look back, it appears Disney spent a boatload on money and time on marketing this film. Not sure what they could've done differently. They launched an aggressive two-year marketing campaign that included a Super Bowl commercial, trailers on “The Avengers: Age of Ultron” and exhibitions at Disney theme parks. Maybe keeping the disaster clips out and keeping the premise vague was a turn-off to 'Memorial Day audiences.'

Disney may have stumbled a bit on the roll-out, but they can survive a swing-and-a-miss. They have Marvel and Pixar to cushion them. The good news is that they've brought Brad Bird back into the fold.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    My 12 year old wants to see it, so it'll probably be on my "to do" list in the coming weeks.
  • Options

WetRats said:

David_D said:

I don't think it's the preachiness that has kept mainstream audiences away. Just the marketing. But when I look back, it appears Disney has been dumping a boatload on marketing this thing for almost a year now. Not sure what they could've done differently. They launched an aggressive two-year marketing campaign that included a Super Bowl commercial, trailers on “The Avengers: Age of Ultron” and exhibitions at Disney theme parks. Maybe keeping the disaster clips out and keeping the premise vague was a turn-off to 'Memorial Day audiences.'
    I was in from the first teaser, but I'm the target audience.
  • Options

My 12 year old wants to see it, so it'll probably be on my "to do" list in the coming weeks.

I wouldn't wait long. It's probably gonna get crowded out of theaters pretty quickly.
  • Options
    David_D said:

I don't remember what brought me to the the theatre to see the Last Starfighter... but I loved that movie.

hmm..

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited May 2015
    I haven't been following this movie but I can't help but assume the marketing was poor simply because neither of my children have said a word about wanting to see it. Normally they're talking about movies weeks before they're released and their apathy toward this film speaks volumes to me.

This is the first I've heard about it being preachy. If it is I think it was a poor choice for this type of movie. If you want to make a preachy movie..great..but you have to expect the word to get out there and those who differ with the movie's message will avoid it. A big budget movie that depends on the masses showing up to make a profit might want to avoid being polarizing.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Tomorrowland has its roots in the pulps, specifically Tom Swift, and that doesn't fly as well with kids as it does with former Simpsons animators who are turning their hand to directing live action films (see also: John Carter). Also, most kids are not that big into Objectivist screeds.
  • Options
    What a wonderful movie!

The critics have their heads up their asses.

And there's nothing remotely Objectivist about it.

I want to see it again more than Ultron or Mad Max.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

What a wonderful movie!

The critics have their heads up their asses.

And there's nothing remotely Objectivist about it.

I want to see it again more than Ultron or Mad Max.

=D>
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    Maybe it's the fact that they tried to Abrams it up with the secrecy, which is a major marketing mistake. People don't go to movies blindly. I have no idea what this movie is about and I've seen the trailers and the commercials. What's the hook? Because there also isn't a mystery to the marketing. You can keep the plot of Star Wars under wraps because everyone knows what Star Wars is. You can get away with a Cloverfield because people ask "What is everyone running from?". The Matrix had the simple question "What is the Matrix?" All I got from Tomorrowland was that it was a sci-fantasy. That's not a hook, it's a genre. I'm not talking about giving away the whole plot, just tell me what kind of story you are offering or a question in my mind that I have to have answered or just tell me what's great about this movie by giving away a enough to get me interested.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

Maybe it's the fact that they tried to Abrams it up with the secrecy, which is a major marketing mistake. People don't go to movies blindly. I have no idea what this movie is about and I've seen the trailers and the commercials. What's the hook? Because there also isn't a mystery to the marketing. You can keep the plot of Star Wars under wraps because everyone knows what Star Wars is. You can get away with a Cloverfield because people ask "What is everyone running from?". The Matrix had the simple question "What is the Matrix?" All I got from Tomorrowland was that it was a sci-fantasy. That's not a hook, it's a genre. I'm not talking about giving away the whole plot, just tell me what kind of story you are offering or a question in my mind that I have to have answered or just tell me what's great about this movie by giving away a enough to get me interested.

Yeah, it seems that the people who complain about movie trailers containing too much of the movie are complaining about a movie whose trailers had almost nothing of the main plot.
  • Options
    Don't know if they're complaining so much as just not bothering to go see it in theaters.
  • Options
    Saw it..

Confused by it..

Best part of the movie?

Spoilers!

The scene with pop culture store and all the Disney / PIXAR / Star Wars collectibles..

Other than that, I felt there was more talking than actually doing...
  • Options

Yeah, it seems that the people who complain about movie trailers containing too much of the movie are complaining about a movie whose trailers had almost nothing of the main plot.

Yup! I guess the title of "Tomorrowland" isn't enough. Haha.
  • Options
    edited May 2015