Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Books you are close to dropping but never do

Are there any books that you get every month, wind up at the bottom of your reading stack, always think about dropping but then never do? I have a couple:

FBP: I never remember what the storyline is, never really look forward to reading it, yet when I do I always enjoy the issue itself. That being said I am finally dropping it just because I cannot remember what is happening and that is a problem.

Batman '66: This one I've turned around on. For a while it felt like a fun book that I didn't really need. But every time there is a Jeff Parker issue he hits it out of the park. I was close to dropping for a while and hung on just because I wanted to have a complete collection. But lately I've really enjoyed the issues and am going to stick with it.

Comments

• Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Buffy and Angel at Dark Horse. Mostly I think, oh man, I've come this far with the issues, I don't know how to stop! When they started they felt "important". Now I'm not so sure. I was hoping Whedon at Marvel Studios would inject something grander into his other creative corners, kind of like feeding off those energies vicariously. But it hasn't happened. Ah well.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Generally for me it has more to do with a character than a title.

You'd mentioned Batman 66' - I get that one in HC trade format because I have a slavish devotion to the series. I think as long as DC keeps making it I'll keep buying it.

Supergirl is the same way. I was never a big fan of New 52 Kara, but I ended up buying her books anyhow. I've been a Supergirl fan since I was in diapers and crawling on all fours (but enough about what I did last week!) (Figured I'd beat David D. to the punchline!) :)

Shazam is another one - put him in the book, I'll pick it up.

Anything else I usually have no problem dropping - even manga series that cease to deliver the goods can get dumped with no problem.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I have no trouble dropping books that I lose interest in..all except Fantastic Four. I'll buy it as long as Marvel publishes it.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    I think I'm pretty good about just dropping books that aren't fun for me to read. There's some books that I might wait out a story arc, or, if it's a limited series, will see it through to conclusion, but I can't think of books that fit the criteria.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Over the years there've been a number of books I continued to buy even though I wasn't actually enjoying them any longer. I was grateful for their cancellations. I hated having those "bottom of the stack" books that felt more like a chore to read than a pleasure. It was mostly contained to batman and related books in my case. I didn't have such devotion to other characters. I slowing found my way out of that mindset though with batman and detective being the long standing exception. Those two titles remained the final hold out for me untill a year or so ago. The n52 reboot / renumbering made it possible for me to overcome that irrational compulsion. Im certain I'm cured of that mindset permanently and not worried for when (if) they return to the original numbering. Maybe I'll be enticed to give em a try maybe not, but if I'm not loving it, it's gone.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited June 2015
    I commented on something similar to this in another recent thread (here).
    Never dropping titles and continuing to buy out of habit used to be a BIG problem for me. Books that had lost their lustre always had the potential of regaining their former glory even though the former creative team had moved on, and the new one just wasn't cutting it.
    Now that I have overcome the problem, and I have no remorse dropping a title that isn't living up to my standards, I feel liberated. I am really enjoying what I'm buying/reading.

Kick those under-performing books to the curb! You can always check back in with them in a couple of months, and if they look good again, then you can go back and pick up the issues you missed. Funny books cost too much these days, and there is too much great material competing for your dollars to be stuck spending on dead weight.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    Batman by Scott Snyder. At this point I'm just getting the HC trades as they come out. And am slavishly picking them up just because. That whole zero year thing threw me for a loop and I haven't really recovered my enthusiasm since...
  • Options
    I bought the entirety of Gillen and McKelvie's Young Avengers hoping it would get better. It never really got there for me.

Currently, I don't waste my time with books I don't really enjoy. My list has dwindled over the last year, and after Secret Wars I think I'm just going to cut out singles entirely unless Marvel goes back to a 2.99 price point on more of its line.
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    The current Moon Knight was good-not great for me, and I'm about at the drop point with it. I don't think it's bad- far from it- I just think there's some other titles that are going to get my dollar on the horizon that excite me more.

But the biggie for me is the current Conan The Avenger from Dark Horse. I am a die-hard Conan fan (if there are others here aside from Chris Eberle, fist bump to you all). I've been feeling pretty worn out on the book for a while and I still pick it up every month hoping it gets better.. That's been the case for a pretty solid 4+ years now and it's pretty out of character for me- usually I will drop a book well before that if I'm feeling indifferent about it.

Fred Van Lente is on the book currently- Van Lente is a writer I've enjoyed before but when Brian Ching isn't on art I've found the art taking me right out of things.. I can't quite put my finger on it but the stories have left me pretty cold too. He's developed some other characters around Conan for his arcs but IMO hasn't developed them enough in a way that intrigues me or makes me care for them one way or the other.

Before that- I had high hopes but thought the Brian Wood run was just OK.. it was very much an opportunity missed IMO. There were some really great issues and seeing the Belit saga with some new twists again with some of the great artists that were on that book at the time was exciting. However, there were some major character moments with Conan (and Belit for that matter) during that run that just rang SO false to me that I found it extremely frustrating. There were rotating artists as well- for half of that run it was totally amazing (Cloonan, Harren, Azaceta, Mirko Kolac, I may be forgetting another). But the other half was absolutely the other end of the spectrum- totally not my thing.. and that took me out of the book for those arcs. Definitely rode the ups and downs for that run.

Your mileage may vary- I know Chris Eberle has spoke highly of Wood's & Van Lente's Conan. (side note: need to figure out the geeks' handles so I can properly @mention them here)

Before that was Conan Road of Kings with Roy Thomas returning for a year, with an artist I can't remember (and didn't particularly like).. As much as I love Roy Thomas (and his reputation for writing Conan shouldn't be diminished in the least by this), it was pretty average.

I've hung on because I do love the character and Dark Horse did such amazing work for the first 75 issues they published with him- with Busiek/Nord and Truman/Giorello. Those runs were fantastic. But I've hung on with a few ups, more downs in the last 4 years and I'm realizing that I probably ought to consider giving it a bit of a break.. always hard if you really love a character and have been getting a book for a long time.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Great review, @mphil

And Chris is @wildpigcomics
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    Thanks @David_D I'll properly attribute now.. he and I seem to have really similar tastes in books. It's a bummer I'm a long way from his shop, I'm sure it's a blast there.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    hornhead said:

Thanks @David_D I'll properly attribute now.. he and I seem to have really similar tastes in books. It's a bummer I'm a long way from his shop, I'm sure it's a blast there.

It's a great shop. I wish it was closer to me, too!
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    In light of this discussion I did a culling of the bookshelves and got rid of a number of books I was picking up out of loyalty.

New52 Supergirl was among them.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    None. This phenomena has not affected me since the Clone Saga in Spiderman. I had to stop reading spidey for the sake of my health and sanity.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Usually I do not buy stuff out of habit but I have been getting the current run of "He Man" in trade and outside of nostalgia, I am not sure why.