Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Post A Funny Picture...

Comments

• Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    popestu said:

I love the kangaroo
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Considering the timing, that family photo should be taken down. Bad form and not funny at all.
  • Options
    RepoMan said:

Considering the timing, that family photo should be taken down. Bad form and not funny at all.

Care to explain?
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    The shooting in the SC church.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Let's try to keep the blame on the villainous perp, not America at large.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Right. Because a request to take down a poorly timed (and not really funny) photo that was posted on the day of a terrorist racial attack is 'blaming America'. How judgmental.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    RepoMan said:

Really?

• Options
    popestu said:

RepoMan said:

Care to explain?
    Saw the news later in the day. What an unfortunate event.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Mr_Cosmic said:

RepoMan said:

Really?

Yes really. It's an insensitive photo with NO humor in it considering the date it was posted and the tragic - not unfortunate - TRAGIC attack. How is that picture 'funny'? It's not. Any one who wants to defend that photo or who find it funny should be ashamed.
  • Options
    I think in a thread called post a funny picture, it was mildly amusing. Not sure what it has to do with the tragedy in Charleston though, without getting political. I also belive this should be a thread where we could all lighten up a bit. Did we learn nothing from Charlie Hedbo? Obviously some people are more sensitive than others and your mileage may vary.
  • Options
    I posted the photo. It is an actual photo of a family. They chose to allow their children to pose with guns. I consider it ironic humor. Others may or may not agree.

I posted it on (I believe) the day of the shooting without realizing the shooting occurred. My intent was not meant to be offensive in any way. The timing is coincidentally awkward.

However, millions of Americans will argue that the post remains due to 1st amendment rights. Millions of Americans would also argue that the post remains due to 2nd amendment rights. Millions will disagree with one or both sides. Such is life.

How soon prior to and after the shooting is an acceptable amount of time for this picture, or one similar to it, to be posted? Are we to scour the net for any images of guns and families and remove them if they fall within this arbitrary time-frame? Are picture of adults with guns allowable? What about pictures of just guns by themselves? Guns in military pictures? How about real guns? If pictures are unacceptable are real guns acceptable? What if I Photoshop orange tips on the guns? Does that change anything? How far should this go? Will any of this bring back peoples' loved ones? Will it encourage better gun control? Will it change anything anywhere? No. It won't.

Back to the picture. It's a picture of a family who lets their kids handle items that can kill another human (or any other living creature). Family photos celebrate family. Guns are typically things to be feared because of their obvious potential to harm, maim, or kill. This is where the irony comes in. The juxtaposition of a loving, family memory with weapons that far too often destroy families.

If someone does not find the humor in something, explaining it doesn't make humor appear.

Removing things from the world, be it virtual or actual, that offend a person or persons will quickly lead to everything being removed.

For the record, I am a parent (2 kids, and 1 on the way), I support gun restrictions, and I find the picture humorous.

This does not mean that I will send or condone sending this picture to the family from the SC shooting. Additionally, I do not think the family will be trolling comic book forums at this time. As such, I do not think they will mind that I posted it.

If CGS decides to remove it, I have no control over that. They do not strike me as the types to condone censorship.

One of the wonderful thing about the USA is our tolerance. Tolerating something does not mean you agree with it or like it. It does mean allowing the existence of, practice of, or occurrence of something without interference.

Finally, this is not an attack on RepoMan. He is voicing his opinion. That's cool. I am writing this to get in front of the situation before it becomes "a thing".

If others want to debate or argue, that's their choice.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

• Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Today in a nutshell.

• Options
    To the reply several posts above: That's a long explanation for someone who feels they don't owe an explanation. Hide behind all the cliches and platitudes and lecturing you want. That picture has no value. Match that with other sexual and sexist pictures posted in this thread and in the funnies thread from the same poster and it paints a not too nice picture. Good luck with that.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Really not trying to make a political statement. I just thought that the irony was ... delicious.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited June 2015
    rebis said:

Really not trying to make a political statement. I just thought that the irony was ... delicious.

“The blacks, those magnificent examples of the African race who have maintained their racial purity thanks to their lack of an affinity with bathing, have seen their territory invaded by a new kind of slave: the Portuguese.”

“The black is indolent and a dreamer; spending his meager wage on frivolity or drink; the European has a tradition of work and saving, which has pursued him as far as this corner of America and drives him to advance himself, even independently of his own individual aspirations.”

-Che
    I wonder if he even knows a thing about the man on his shirt.

• Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    another one of my musings made tangible thanks to Photoshop

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Today, New Horizons has taken its closest, most high definition photo of Pluto ever. Um...

But seriously, folks. This is really cool:

• Options

image<

Weird and creepy...and pepperonish