Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

ROM - 2016

Comments

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    edited July 2015
    so marvel is just doing space knights without ROM... AT THE SAME TIME? is that a little awkward?

• Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    I know it's presumptuous of me, but I'm looking forward to the inevitable Micronauts/ROM/Saved By The Bell crossover.
  • Options
    So odds are on IDW reprinting both Marvel series, right? I mean they did Transformers, and the second time around they got permission from Marvel to use the Spider-man and Circuit Breaker issues, so we know they have a pretty good relationship.
  • Options
    I didn't even consider that IDW might reprint the originals. They've been reprinting Marvel's G.I. Joe, too, so I'd say yeah, odds are good -- and that would be awesome. Everyone speaks so highly of ROM that I've really been interested in reading it.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

only good can come from this.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I just got a beautiful HC of the daily Amazing Spider-Man comic strip (1977-1979) in my recent DCBS order published by IDW. IDW also does the Artist Editions. ROM and Micronauts will be in good hands.

To say I'm excited is an understatement.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I'm sure that IDW can't reprintg Micronuats or ROM, as they both prominently feature a LOT of Marvel characters. Micronauts will also only be able to to feature the characters from the toys, since about half of the team were Marvel creations (Marionette, Bug, Commander Rann...)
  • Options

I'm sure that IDW can't reprintg Micronuats or ROM, as they both prominently feature a LOT of Marvel characters. Micronauts will also only be able to to feature the characters from the toys, since about half of the team were Marvel creations (Marionette, Bug, Commander Rann...)

I know, but like I said before, they've already done it. Transformers featured characters owned by Marvel and they eventually worked out a deal. And IDW has done prestige reprints of Marvel content in the Artist Editions. Plus it makes sense for Marvel, because they can't publish these books themselves but would probably get a licensing fee for allowing their characters to be reprinted.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946

I know, but like I said before, they've already done it. Transformers featured characters owned by Marvel and they eventually worked out a deal. And IDW has done prestige reprints of Marvel content in the Artist Editions. Plus it makes sense for Marvel, because they can't publish these books themselves but would probably get a licensing fee for allowing their characters to be reprinted.
    Yeah, I agree 110%. I've mentioned before here that Marvel and IDW have a pretty decent relationship, we'll see reprints of the original run and I cannot wait to see what IDW has in store for both of these properties.
  • Options
    Greg said:

Yeah, I agree 110%. I've mentioned before here that Marvel and IDW have a pretty decent relationship, we'll see reprints of the original run and I cannot wait to see what IDW has in store for both of these properties.
    How long until Marvel (read: Disney) just buys out IDW and uses it as an imprint for lesser licensed properties?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    fredzilla said:

Greg said:

How long until Marvel (read: Disney) just buys out IDW and uses it as an imprint for lesser licensed properties?
    I never thought of that and I can see it happening somewhere down the road.
  • Options
    Greg said:

fredzilla said:

Greg said:

I never thought of that and I can see it happening somewhere down the road.
    Yeah, me too. And I'm not sure how I feel about it.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    They could still use Rann and Bug - as originally they were listed as Space Glider and Galactic Warrior in the early comics ads and the like. Those were both toys from the line. They might not be able to call them Rann and Bug but hey...drop and add a letter and you've got Ran and Bugg and there you go. :)

Marionette would be nigh-impossible unless Marvel just said "Have at 'er".

Even though I bound my original collection, I'd shell out the dough for reprints if they're on better paper and the like.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

They could still use Rann and Bug - as originally they were listed as Space Glider and Galactic Warrior in the early comics ads and the like. Those were both toys from the line. They might not be able to call them Rann and Bug but hey...drop and add a letter and you've got Ran and Bugg and there you go. :)

Marionette would be nigh-impossible unless Marvel just said "Have at 'er".

Even though I bound my original collection, I'd shell out the dough for reprints if they're on better paper and the like.

I think you mean Acroyear not Bug. Same would be true of Biotron but not Microtron.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    edited July 2015
    Acroyear was Acroyear. They were also the "bad guys" of the toy line.

One of the early issues listed Bug as "Galactic Warrior". I found this strange because I had the GW figure and it looked nothing like Bug when I saw the comic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug_(comics)

Acroyear was awesome, too...he had roller skates for feet. :)

Damn now I want all my Micronauts toys back. :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Acroyear was Acroyear. They were also the "bad guys" of the toy line.

One of the early issues listed Bug as "Galactic Warrior". I found this strange because I had the GW figure and it looked nothing like Bug when I saw the comic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug_(comics)

Acroyear was awesome, too...he had roller skates for feet. :)

Damn now I want all my Micronauts toys back. :)

Cool, I must have missed the reference to him as Galactic Warrior - I know I had multiple of that particular figure and there is absolutely no similarity.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c6/2f/b5/c62fb57b5bc3879b658a9f016af40369.jpg

I recently found some Micronauts bits and pieces at my parents house. Unfortunately not enough to do anything with. Mostly bits of the Micropolis sets. Would love to have my Karza and Force Commander back.
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    I'm definitely interested. I remember seeing ROM at the grocery store in my first years as a spinner rack hound, but I never read it then.. Upon the hearty recommendations I've heard on the podcast, I did manage to pick up several issues of it recently for next to nothing (10+ or so issues, not a bad start). I have almost all of the issues between 3-12, another little run from 25-30 and the final issue, #75). In the shops around here they are hard to find although dirt cheap when you do see them. Got many of those issues for less than a dollar.

I haven't read the finale (discipline)... but I like what I have read a lot and would love to read the whole thing. I do make it a point to look for the back issues every time I'm in a shop. I'm sure they could be had online although I haven't looked.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Micronauts was my gateway drug into the Marvel Universe. My love for ROM runs deep. I like Cullen Bunn too, so it is gonna be hard to resist both of these.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    The benefits of running your own publishing company. You get to make personal projects like this:

• Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    Those collections are glorious. I am greatly envious. I just recently finished re-collecting all the ROM issues, and Micronauts is next on my list.

Looking forward to seeing how this is all going to play out.
  • Options
    IDW's big Free Comic Book Day offering 2016

• Options
  • Options

Fingers!

I was just thinking the exact thing!
  • Options
    It's funny most of the artist that I have commissioned to do pieces in my Rom sketch book draw him with fingers and it has always bothered me a little, now I suppose fingers are fair game!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited December 2015
    (I'm sorry. I'm sorry. That one was just too much of a softball, and I was not mature enough to resist... And I have not slept much.)