Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hating on DC?

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    mwhitt80 said:

Torchsongs favorite place ;). I will always love you TS.

#PotentialCharacterWitnessForTheDefense
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I need to get those Jimmy Wakely comics at some point. Lots of Alex Toth work, and some Frazetta back-ups in the early issues too. Not to mention Gil Kane and Carmine Infantino.

And, yes, Oksner drew a lot of the stories for the Pat Boone series, though I don't have any of them yet. It only ran five issues.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

Torchsongs favorite place ;). I will always love you TS.

They'd also need to be Japanese, in high school, endowed with magical powers, etc... :)
  • Options
    I'll say this to bring myself back on topic - I read Starfire #1 over the weekend and if this is the direction DC is taking now, I'm all in. Somehow Palmiotti (who I should learn by now to never doubt) managed to blend the Kori I grew up with to the Kori younger generations who have grown up with the cartoon version know about...and it works. Hilariously so.

Equally fun reads have been Justice League 3000, Omega Men, and Black Canary. New takes on all these characters, but they work. And work well...at least for me.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    ouch

http://www.geek.com/rant/the-best-idea-for-warner-bros-kill-the-dc-cinematic-universe-1627367/

"Guess who’s excited about seeing Ant-Man? Lots of people. guess who’s excited about Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice? Not many. This is a fundamental problem for Warner Bros. and its Sisyphean attempt to develop a DC cinematic universe as broad and expansive as the Marvel one. They’re trying to make a whole series of movies and can’t get people as hyped about Batman and Superman fighting each other as they are about Hank Pym, a character who for years was a punchline for distasteful comic book jokes."
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    bamfbamf said:

ouch

http://www.geek.com/rant/the-best-idea-for-warner-bros-kill-the-dc-cinematic-universe-1627367/

"Guess who’s excited about seeing Ant-Man? Lots of people. guess who’s excited about Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice? Not many. This is a fundamental problem for Warner Bros. and its Sisyphean attempt to develop a DC cinematic universe as broad and expansive as the Marvel one. They’re trying to make a whole series of movies and can’t get people as hyped about Batman and Superman fighting each other as they are about Hank Pym, a character who for years was a punchline for distasteful comic book jokes."

Did I sleep-write that article?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    bamfbamf said:

ouch

To judge by the reaction to the trailer, in the packed theater I saw Avengers AofU with the night it was released, I think the answer is that a lot of people are psyched for BvS. I'm not saying that WBCU hasn't had challenges. But I would guess that BvS will open huge.
  • Options
    i agree... i think BvS will stomp on Ant-Man at the box office... even if BvS gets bad reviews
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    bamfbamf said:

ouch

Wow! That was a solid opinion piece. I wholeheartedly agree. And the villain being Vandal Savage is a stroke of genius. This would be the wiser path, but the dye has been cast and it appears that DC is not willing to learn from their mistakes.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    bamfbamf said:

ouch

Agree whole heartedly. Even like some of his specific ideas such as using Savage.

• Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    "guess who’s excited about Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice? Not many."

=))

Can't get more hater than that!
  • Options
    "guess who’s excited about Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice?"

Ummm...me? :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Uhhh...

*slowly raises his hand

Me three..
  • Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    bamfbamf said:

i agree... i think BvS will stomp on Ant-Man at the box office... even if BvS gets bad reviews

I am a huge Bats fan, and loved the Christian Bale movies, but have absolutely no excitement to see BvS. I really don't get jazzed for Superman, and just have zero interest in it. It does make me sad to say that, but it is what it is. That said, I was hyped about Ant-Man until I read the recent comic series. That has changed my thinking a bit - might just wait for DVD on it.
  • Options

Torchsong said:

Uhhh...

*slowly raises his hand

Me three..
    Me four.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    u gotta watch this! HAHAHA!

Change Washington, DC to Washington, MARVEL (because DC sucks)
    https://youtu.be/wTanfxgP3wE

Neil Adams part was the best
  • Options
    I love how this thread has basically proven the initial thoughts in the first post correct. What started out as a question has basically been proven and is now just a generic Hating on DC thread. Way to go fanboys! Haha.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    RepoMan said:

I love how this thread has basically proven the initial thoughts in the first post correct. What started out as a question has basically been proven and is now just a generic Hating on DC thread. Way to go fanboys! Haha.

? Who hates DC? I sure don't, and I'm not seeing a lot of it expressed here.

Disappointment with DC over the past few years is not the same as hating them.
  • Options
    Some people need to learn the definition of "hating on".

And yes - you're "disappointed" (right) - as you've told us OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER....

Isn't it about time you told us once again how you're not going to see the FF movie? Haha
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    RepoMan said:

And yes - you're "disappointed" (right) - as you've told us OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER....

Isn't it about time you told us once again how you're not going to see the FF movie? Haha

You showing up and calling everyone who doesn't care for what you enjoy "fanboys" and "haters" is getting old. Haha
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited July 2015
    RepoMan said:

Some on the forums are [much] older than 21 and would actually believe the term "hating on" means:

Hate: a intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear, anger, or sense of injury

Haha

• Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    bamfbamf said:

ouch

Funny and true.
  • Options

Torchsong said:

Uhhh...

*slowly raises his hand

Me three..
    Me four.
    I will see it, but "excited" is not the word I would use.
  • Options
    popestu said:

Torchsong said:

Uhhh...

*slowly raises his hand

Me three..
    Me four.
    I will see it, but "excited" is not the word I would use.
    The same is true for Antman.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    RepoMan said:

A couple thoughts--

This conversation has not been one voice, or expressed any one thing. Has there been plenty of generalized hating on? Sure. And probably, as this thread is now pages away from the original question, there are some people who may come to the topic late thinking this is where to park their DC hate. I don't know. (In fact, as the spirit of @Matt 's original post was to ask a question, I have added a question mark to the thread name. I think that might help signpost a bit.)

Truth be told, this was never my favorite sort of discussion to begin with, as even a thoughtful discussion of negativity is probably going to just end up as a parking lot for that negativity. Which is why I know I have been trying to add more to, and encourage, current DC talk and news in threads that aren't called "Hating on DC".

But, to be fair, there is also plenty of conversation that isn't that, including people thoughtfully addressing the question being asked, to simply pointing out that none of the feelings about what ever is brought up- Convergence, recent trailers, etc., is a unanimous feeling. Sure, you can cherry pick what you don't want to see, and respond to that. But, like most of the longer discussions here, that is painting with a broad brush.

At the end of the day, shaming, calling everyone a bunch of fanboys might feel good. But label throwing gets the conversation nowhere, and basically comes at things from the same low road you are trying to get people off of, you know what I mean?

As I have said many times over the years, energy spent trying to control a conversation you don't like is energy better spent making and continuing the conversations you want to be having. Rather than criticizing what you think the forum is, contribute in ways that make it what you want it to be. Lead by example.
  • Options
    Um, just wondering, where do we go to lodge our complaints about Marvel NOW!, Secret Wars, or the MCU?

Haha!
  • Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150

Um, just wondering, where do we go to lodge our complaints about Marvel NOW!, Secret Wars, or the MCU?

Haha!

Can I direct you to the CGS Forums . . . oh, yeah, looks like you made it . . . :smiley:

• Options
    Is "haha" a thing now?

/haha
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Only for haters. :wink:
  • Options
    compsolut said:

Haha!

Can I direct you to the CGS Forums . . . oh, yeah, looks like you made it . . . :smiley:

Oh, so it's just the forums in general, there is no "Hating on Marvel" thread to speak of?

LOL