Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What comics did you read and like this week?

Comments

• kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    dubbat138 said:

King's Watch 1 thru 5-Loved Defenders of the Earth when I was younger. So gave this revamping of it a shot. I like what they are doing.

I liked this, too. And really liked the Parker/Shaner Flash Gordon series after it. I will need to check out the Phantom and Mandrake stuff.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Torchsong said:

Modok: Assasin 1 & 2 - They had me at "Modok falls in love with a Thor".

I want this to go on beyond the (I think it's) 5 issues it's supposed to go. I want Modok and this Thor/Angel to team up and commit/fight crimes. THIS is why I still love funnybooks...

Also, did you read any of the Ales Kot/ Michael Walsh Secret Avengers series? Their take on MODOK was a lot of fun. And it was been largely his book.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    kgforce said:

dubbat138 said:

King's Watch 1 thru 5-Loved Defenders of the Earth when I was younger. So gave this revamping of it a shot. I like what they are doing.

I liked this, too. And really liked the Parker/Shaner Flash Gordon series after it. I will need to check out the Phantom and Mandrake stuff.
    The Parker/Shaner Flash Gordon was fantastic. I wish they'd stayed on it. The issue that came after it was not so good, and I had to drop it. I've got Jungle Jim and Mandrake, but haven't had a chance to read them yet.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Grayson #9. Continues to be an interesting read (and a purty book). Including an old school Checkmate Knight just made me love it all the more.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    David_D said:

Torchsong said:

Modok: Assasin 1 & 2 - They had me at "Modok falls in love with a Thor".

I want this to go on beyond the (I think it's) 5 issues it's supposed to go. I want Modok and this Thor/Angel to team up and commit/fight crimes. THIS is why I still love funnybooks...

Also, did you read any of the Ales Kot/ Michael Walsh Secret Avengers series? Their take on MODOK was a lot of fun. And it was been largely his book.
    I haven't, but if it's on this level I'm gonna have to go back issue diving.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    kgforce said:

dubbat138 said:

I keep hearing that the Jeff Parker Flash series is great. I got it and Jungle Jim to read next.
  • Finally finished Superior Foes of Spider-Man. That's a book I could have read forever. Makes me excited to see what Nick Spencer does with Ant-Man.
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    A couple of newer comics that I recently caught up with and am absolutely loving:

The Dying and the Dead
    I pretty much love everything by Hickman and this is no exception. A retired Army colonel is forced to get "the band back together again" for one last mission after he makes a deal with the devil to save his dying wife.

Invisible Republic
    A newspaper reporter on a distant moon in the far-flung future comes across a 50 year old personal memoir that threatens to topple the ruling regime.

Suiciders
    Set in post-apocalyptic Los Angeles, gladiatorial games are the city's #1 form of entertainment. A reporter unearths the secret past of the city's long reigning champion and now must run for his life.

Anyone pick up the first issue of The Spire? It's the same creative team as Six-Gun Gorilla, which I enjoyed quite a bit, and I find this new world they're building just as intriguing, if not more so. It's off to a good start at any rate.

Finally finished Superior Foes of Spider-Man. That's a book I could have read forever. Makes me excited to see what Nick Spencer does with Ant-Man.

You won't be disappointed. Ant-Man is great.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I think it's been out for some time, but Paul Pope did Batman: Year 100 and I got it recently on a comiXology sale and loved it. I loved his Battling Boy and really want to search out more of his work. It was really, really good. Check them both out if you like good great storytelling and art.
    A few I liked from this past week:

Civil War #1
    1872 #1
    Red Skull #!
    Squadron Sinister #2

And from the non-Secret Wars category:

Archie #1
    We Stand on Guard #1

• 1872 #1 and Runaways #2 were great. Civil War #1, Master of Kung Fu #3, and Archie #1 were all pretty good, too.
  • popestupopestu Posts: 782
    Archie 1
    Amazing Spiderman 238, 259, 260
    Astonishing X-Men (Joss W) ...everything but the "Dangerous" arc (poor story execution)
    -I miss Scott not being a douche bag
  • compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    Bloodshot: Setting the World on Fire

Read it for our book of the month club at the shop, and had moderate to low expectations. I was blown away by it, and am looking forward to vol. 2
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    edited July 2015
    I love Big Trouble in Little China. It is such a fun book.
    Btlc - 9-11
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    mwhitt80 said:

I love Big Trouble in Little China. It is such a fun book.
    Btlc - 9-11

Never forget.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    Nice. I won't even edit that post because I like that joke.
    I meant to type
    btlc: 9-12
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Book of Death. Valiants summer blockbuster kicked off with a bang. Promising ramifications universe wide. Haven't got enough good words for Valiant right now.
    With the final issue of Fraction and Aja’s Hawkeye finally out, I read the last year’s worth of Hawkeye—the last five issues. What an outstanding series. I can live with delays even as long as Hawkeye’s when the content is so excellent.

Oh, and Fraction’s Kate Bishop rocks.
  • I finally finished my Spider-Man by Roger Stern Omnibus, so I read most of the first Hobgoblin mega-arc within the last week. Stern was an excellent Spider-Man writer, and he only got better as time went on. As much as I wish he'd written more, I'm glad he left while he was still at a high point, unlike some other writers.

Now I'm eager to read his work on Avengers, a lot of which seems to be in trade format.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Airboy 1&2 from Image

Wondering how much of this is based on Robinson's real life. But so far fairly entertaining read.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I've been picking up a load of old out of print Seamp Thing comics lately.

Just read DC Comics Presents #85: Superman and Swamp Thing. Another great story from Alan Moore. A meteorite falls to earth with an alien fungus growing on it. Turns out it's from Krypton and the fungus feeds on blood from Kryptons. Superman is dying and eventually ends up in the swamp where he is found and aided by none other then Swamp Thing.

This was a great little one shot. If the story came out nowadays it'd be strung out over 5/6 issues and would probably lose some of its charm.

The one shot seems to be out of fashion of late, which is a bit of a shame. I'd love to see some more wordier one shots coming out.
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    The Woods #14 & #15. this is a jump forward a year. I had missed a couple issues immediately before the jump but thought I could just go along for the ride. Still felt a bit out of sync.
    I'm on vacation this week, so I've been able to do a little catching up on my reading. I read the second and third tpbs of East of West, and I'm really enjoying the series. I'm not usually all that interested in tales of the apocalypse, but this one has been an exception. I wouldn’t say it's at the top of my list, but it's definitely a keeper.

I've also read the second tpb of Manhattan Projects. (I brought the third tpb too, but I haven't gotten to it yet.) I didn't like the second volume as much as the first, but it's still been pretty darn good. Though I have to say, at this point I'm more interested in the world inside Oppenheimer’s brain than I am the “real” world. I put the series just behind East of West on my list, but that's more because I like Dragotta’s artwork a lot more than I do Pitarra’s.
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Moon Knight #17 still enjoying this long after Ellis has gone.
    Hawkeye #4 love the watercolor flashback sequences
    Doctor Fate #2 never read doctor Fate before, giving it a shot.
    The Dresden Files: Down Town #6 always happily surprised. Since I'm current in the novels this is how I get my Butcher fix. At least until Sept 29 when the new steampunk series starts with The Areonauts Windlass.
  • mphilmphil Posts: 448

With the final issue of Fraction and Aja’s Hawkeye finally out, I read the last year’s worth of Hawkeye—the last five issues. What an outstanding series. I can live with delays even as long as Hawkeye’s when the content is so excellent.

How long has it been? I stopped reading a while ago because too long between issues.
    mphil said:

How long has it been? I stopped reading a while ago because too long between issues.
    A few months. Like I said, I read literally a year's worth of issues, and there were only five issues in that amount of time (the biggest gap was between the penultimate issue and the final issue)—but it was well worth the wait. Great stuff.
  • mphilmphil Posts: 448
    edited July 2015
    Ah, see for me once a book goes into the box it's likely never coming out unless I decide to bind it or get rid of stuff.

My process is usually to read my DCBS order within the first week or so (sometimes two) of getting it -- I get really nervous when I have 2 orders worth to read -- and pick out the stuff I want to keep getting and the stuff I no longer care about.

The books where I read and am thinking "wait, what has been going on?" is the stuff that gets dropped first. Hawkeye was that for me. Probably really good if read in a single sitting though.