Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Marvel on Netflix- DD, JJ, LC, IF and Defenders (non-spoiler)

Comments

• What's the big deal? A "Defenders" movie was never going to happen, not with the way Avengers has developed into a catch all. And it's a great name in that it describes what the team is doing. I highly doubt they will go by that name in the series, it'll probably be just a mega team-up. And it's much clearer than "Marvel Knights" to MCU fans who don't follow comics. They are a team that defends. This is the kind of thing that only affects our community, but the MCU belongs to a much wider audience.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited August 2015
    It's simple to see why they went with "Defenders".

"Because if we can't protect NY, you can be damn sure we'll defend it" sounds better then:

"Because if we can't protect NY, you can be damn sure we'll be Heroes for Hire for it"

Or

"Because if we can't protect NY, you can be damn sure we'll be Marvel Knights for it"

M
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

"Because if we can't protect NY, you can be damn sure we'll defend it" sounds better then:

"Because if we can't protect NY, you can be damn sure we'll be Heroes for Hire for it"

Or

"Because if we can't protect NY, you can be damn sure we'll be Marvel Knights for it"

M

Can you clarify the difference between "protect" and "defend" you're using here?
    I see it as more "If we defend, there'll be no need to avenge."
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    "The Defenders, because the Avengers are aholes that demolish your neighborhood"
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

Or

M

Can you clarify the difference between "protect" and "defend" you're using here?
    Protect as in proactive. Defend as reactive.

M
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

Or

M

Protect as in proactive. Defend as reactive.

M
    OK.

A subtle distinction, but I can see it.
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    mphil said:

Why is the team called The Defenders when none of these heroes were part of the Defenders? The Defenders is Hulk, Strange, Namor and Surfer.

As a long-time Defenders fan, I can relate to and understand this quibble. But I can also get past it. "Heroes For Hire" would be a more appropriate fit with the Netflix line-up, but as has been noted before, it is a terrible name. "The Defenders" fits well with "The Avengers", so it is an obvious choice for another live-action Marvel team.

Personally, I would prefer "The Defenders" to be something closer to the original with Hulk, Namor and Doctor Strange. Throw in Hellcat, Nighthawk, Valkyrie and maybe even Black Knight, and you would have a sure fire winner.

We were never going to get Silver Surfer (with all the legal woes tied to FF). But it looks like there is a possibility that we might get some sort of Hellcat in the upcoming Alias. Regardless... the first season of Daredevil was much better than I expected, and if they want to call this Netflix team-up "The Defenders", then I'm not going to complain (too much).
    Over the years, the Defenders has been the junk drawer of superhero teams.

Redefining them as the homefront, street-level, sweat-the-small-stuff crew as a contrast to the globe-spanning, world-saving, high-power Avengers is damned clever.

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    WetRats said:

Redefining them as the homefront, street-level, sweat-the-small-stuff crew as a contrast to the globe-spanning, world-saving, high-power Avengers is damned clever.

Agreed. Also, I would guess that this soon(ish) to be incarnation of the Defenders will have a similarly loose, and tense, bond between them. And that actually is in keeping with the original idea as well.

Heck, for all we know, there is every chance that this slate of shows at Netflix started with the idea of doing a kind of Defenders team-- including some of the original ideas that make them different from the Avengers, historically-- but then choosing who would comprise that team quickly had to change, mostly for budget reasons, as well as characters already being locked up in the feature films, and from there they ended up figuring out who their slate of solo, street-level (aka LESS EXPENSIVE!) characters would be. It may still be that they worked from the idea of the Defenders, even if they knew that they were never going to have a lineup that resembled the original.
  • chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    WetRats said:

I think it's about the best that could be hoped to come out of the concept. I loved The Defenders as a kid, but it was always that oddball series that seemed to keep going in spite of itself. Aside from a nostalgia association for comic readers of a certain age, I don't see how the original Defenders "brand" sells itself as a media property.

And everyone keeps mentioning the Hulk/Strange/Namor/Surfer line-up, but for me (and I'll bet many who read it in the '80s) The Defenders were always Valkyrie, Nighthawk, Hellcat, Gargoyle and a bunch of other C-listers hanging out with Doctor Strange. And I bet there are some for who it's Angel, Ice-Man, Beast, Cloud, etc. It's always been a pretty loose concept - and I suspect that may be why it lasted as long as it did, because creators enjoyed working on a title just under the radar enough to do what they wanted month to month.
    WetRats said:

What does that make The Champions?

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

The team with all the accountants.

(A woefully underused subplot.)
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

It's that small cardboard box in the back of the cabinet under the sink.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

Coming to an LCS near you February 2016...

Not quite enough material to call it an omnibus...
    mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

The most inaccurately-named team ever?

mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

A microbus?
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

And not enough quality to justify calling it a Masterwork either, but there you go.
    WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

The most inaccurately-named team ever?
    After "The Inferior Five" was already taken.

:D
    edited August 2015

I think a shortbus might be a more accurate description of The Champions masterworks.
    I love Backissue 65 for answering the question of the Champions roster.
    mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

Interns.

M
    Matt said:

mwhitt80 said:

WetRats said:

Interns.

M
    Heh.
  • Embarrassed to admit I loved "The Champions" back in the day.

Embarrassed to admit I loved "The Champions" back in the day.

Nothing to be embarassed about.

It was very ... earnest.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    mwhitt80 said:

I think a shortbus might be a more accurate description of The Champions masterworks.

Agreed!
    WetRats said:

Embarrassed to admit I loved "The Champions" back in the day.

Nothing to be embarassed about.

It was very ... earnest.
    The Incredibly Earnest Interns!

mwhitt80 said:

Recap! Please give us the synopsis of Backissue 65 for those of us who missed it.
    I LOVE The Champions. Being a big fan of c-listers, how could I not!?!

I remember being very disappointed a few years back when Marvel had to retitle The Champions reboot as "The Order" at the last minute due to legal issues.
    edited August 2015
    I'm a huge fan of twomorrows digital and this was an especially good issue (defenders, legion of substitute heroes, doom patrol, Champions, gog, inhumans). It will be the best $3.95 you spend all day.

Originally it was going to be a book starring Iceman and Angel on a road trip. Then Stan Lee (creator of the FF) said all teams need 5 members.
    Tony Isabella was later told all teams need a strong guy and woman. He chose Herc because he's frat guy Thor and Black Widow because she was available to use.
    Then he was told at least one member had to have his own series which is where Ghost Rider came in.

Reading it in Tony's words is much more interesting so go spend the $3.95 and read a bunch of cool stories about the 2nd tier teams.
  • I just finished DD a few weeks ago and I have to say that it was a great season and really made me enjoy the character. Im more inclined to pick something up with DD in now becaus ethey did him justice. I thought DD was a lame character becaus ethe only exposure I had with him was the movie and we all know how that was! Im really excited for the next 3 shows to come out and to converge in the Defenders. Great idea Marvel!
  • Premiere Announcement - Marvel's Jessica Jones
    https://youtu.be/ywZE-NEJ2Ik
    That is one uneventful "trailer".
    Lots of ominous purple.

Nice... November 20th is a lot sooner than I was expecting.