Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

TV News: It's time to play the music. It's time to light the lights...

2»

Comments

• BrackBrack Posts: 868

This is me serving up my words in case I have to eat them later when this is a huge success.

Neil Patrick Harris Variety Show "Best Time Ever"

That is a particularly interesting point of reference as it, like The Muppet Show, is being sold to the US by a British independent television station. The original, Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway, is a Frankenstein's monster of different formats which probably wouldn't gel without the goodwill the audience has for the hosts. It will be interesting to see if it works without them.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Here you go @ShaneKelly and any other Muppet fan. Original 10 min. pitch to ABC.

I don't know if this needs a spoiler tag or not. If you saw the original trailer, there's a little more here.

https://youtu.be/x2B5d-8H588
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318

And for me, The Muppets > Flash until proven otherwise.

I have to disagree here.

If I'm not allowed to critique something based on just the trailer until I see the whole movie, you shouldn't be allowed to gush over something until the actual product is released...

LOL

I'm not gushing over anything yet. I was just responding to Chuck’s post where he said he'd be watching Flash instead of Muppets during their head-to-head time slot. I'm going to be watching Muppets instead of Flash for at least the first couple of weeks of the season. If the show turns out to be disappointing, I'll go back to watching the occasional episode of Flash instead.
    I like the muppets. I love the hell out of the Flash. No contest.
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited July 2015

I'm not gushing over anything yet. I was just responding to Chuck’s post where he said he'd be watching Flash instead of Muppets during their head-to-head time slot. I'm going to be watching Muppets instead of Flash for at least the first couple of weeks of the season. If the show turns out to be disappointing, I'll go back to watching the occasional episode of Flash instead.

I'll probably wind up watching The Muppets via streaming a week or so after each episode premieres -- I'm winding up doing a lot of that these days anyway because of my current job. It's not as though I don't want to watch it... I just prefer to watch Flash more.

• bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Don't waste your time. It's an utterly joyless exercise. I expect it will be cancelled shortly. Several of the so very terrible reviews are in.

As Statler and Waldorf would likely remark...

"it stinks"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDYsipu7KZQ

Such a shame that Disney has destroyed the Muppets.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I think it is terrible too but it is going to have to shed a lot more viewers before it gets the axe. It is still the 6th highest ranked scripted show for the 18-49 demo on the network. Better than the middle, blackish, and the goldbergs.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Still haven't watched it. I keep forgetting the season has started.
  • Yeah, virtually every review I've seen has almost universally panned the new Muppets show. I did manage to see the first one, and while I didn't think it was terrible, I did feel like it was 'off'. Didn't really have that old Muppet feel to it. My sister and niece still love it, though...
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I felt the show has improved each week. And the karokee/morning after sequence was aces
  • I enjoyed the first two episodes. Maybe not as many laughs as the old Muppet Show, but funnier than some other recent stuff that I've tried. The more recent two episodes are on my DVR and I should be watching them soon.
  • I've had mixed feelings about it. Not quite a travesty, but it also doesn't quite satisfy that itch. I think Kermit's chracterization is way off, but I Love Fozzy and every scene with The Electric Mayhem has been gold. As for its ratings it's actually doing very well for a Tuesday night show on a network that isn't CBS. It will almost definitely get the back 9, probably a second season too, since ABC owns the show.
  • Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited October 2015
    I signed up for a HULU account mainly because it has an extensive library of classic Doctor Who episodes, and it's a hell of lot cheaper than tracking down over 800 episodes of Doctor Who on DVD. I've become accustom to watching most television shows via the streaming service, and The Muppets is no exception. In fact, it usually is one of the first shows in my queue. I enjoy the series. Considering previous Muppet shows have centered around a variety show, the Muppets taking on late night television seems like a natural progression. This week's Muppets getting hammered while singing karaoke and Statler playing the cantankerous prankster = good stuff. Sam the Eagle singing Wind Beneath My Wings = brilliant.
  • shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    edited October 2015
    While I will admit that it is a bit of a reach into a different realm of humor; drugs and gay sex, I find this far from joyless. I do agree the Kermit characterization seems off but every other character seems on point. Miss Piggy of 1980 easily becomes this version and Fozzie has always been a buffoon. I thought the elevator joke with Lea Thompson was great and that big weird Muppet Monster is hilarious. When he smacked F ozzie in the first episode I cracked up. I dont think Disney ruined the Muppets. This show definitely feels like an evolution of the original more than re-invention. I enjoy it and hope it goes a little further. But what do I know, I'm a worthless piece of fur.
    Let's not forget, one of the earliest Muppet Show pilots (there were actually a couple of them before the show was opted as a regular series) was called Sex and Violence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byEzsFtV_Yo
  • Let's not forget, one of the earliest Muppet Show pilots (there were actually a couple of them before the show was opted as a regular series) was called Sex and Violence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byEzsFtV_Yo

Yeah -- but that one was funny.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I've never been a muppets fan (probably a surprise to many!) I'm at least glad the commrcials have drastically decreased. Now if only FanDuel & DraftKings would follow that trend.

M
  • I haven't loved this show, but it has had some really great moments. The work party with Ed Helms was fun. But Miss Piggy's apology to Reese Witherspoon was probably my favorite thing on TV this week.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I can't stand Chip. The IT guy. Yeah, he needs to go.
  • My wife and I watched the first two episodes, hoping that it would be a great show . . . only to be disappointed. There is so much drama crap everywhere else on television, radio, commercials (minus fan duels, et al.) that it just wasn't enjoyable for us. They can retool all they want, but we are just going to live off our memories and DVD's of the original series.

We don't watch much tv in general, so we probably needed a stronger hook than most to add to our lineup of Gotham, NCIS, Big Bang, and Last Man Standing. Supergirl is on the DVR, so no comments from me on that yet.
  • Greg said:

I can't stand Chip. The IT guy. Yeah, he needs to go.

Chip is awesome, for being the most terrifying muppet ever. That pupil blink makes me laugh every time. And his tongue! So disturbing.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Whatever one thinks of the show, I like it more than most, both Uncle Deadly and Pepe the Prawn never failed to make me laugh when they were on screen
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Not surprised to see this cancelled, considering the rough start and retool.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Sorry, but not surprised, to see it go. It ended on a great note, though. When my wife and I saw the "Pre-flight Calzones" segment that ended the series, I looked at her and said "Now that...what Kermit did for Piggy...that's the kind of love I have for you. That's what you mean to me."

If they put it on DVD I'll probably pick it up. I think it's something that'll age well.

:)
    After a 20+ year hiatus, Pigs in Space is back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmI77ZBeJrQ