Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Doctor WHO Thread (Please indicate potential spoilers when discussing current episodes.)

Comments

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    That's a really neat summary of classic Who, @LibraryBoy
    Some great stories on that list
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Thanks, @Caliban! I'm sure I left a ton of good ones out, though, so anyone can please add to (or attempt to detract) the list I made.
  • Options
    If anyone is interested I recently got diverted/obsessed by the subject of the Doctor's two hearts and x-rays.
    http://eamonn1961.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Who hearts
    Scroll to the bottom and read the oldest post first.
  • Options
    I finished season 3 last night.
    I cannot believe how stunning this show is, and I equally cannot believe I was out of the loop for so long. If I had nothing else to do with my life I would be perfectly content with sitting and watching this series over and over again. I certainly know I'll be watching 'Blink' again soon.
    And Martha is gone. I suppose I'm getting inured to the losses. Any moment now the Doctor's going to change. I have no idea when, but I know it's coming.
    This series is brilliant. I sincerely hope they don't cancel it anytime soon.
  • Options
    Blink is so, so, so good. It's the episode I tell people to watch when they want to give the show a try but are unsure if they'll like it or not. Brilliant story and light on the continuity. I keep going back and forth over whether I think that or The Girl in the Fireplace is my favorite episode of the new series.

I'm excited you're jumping into Season 4, @DesertHermit. My wife and I both think that one's the strongest season of the series thus far. It has the best "good episode to total clunker" ratio, certainly.

And remember, even if you do find an episode you're less than thrilled with, you've made it through Fear Her and Daleks in Manhattan... you can make it through anything the show has to offer!
  • Options
    Blink is fantastic and possibly the best of new Who.
    Other great ones are The Empty Child/ Doctor Dances episodes.
    The Girl in the Fireplace
    Human Nature/Family of Blood

And coming up in the next series you have Midnight and Turn Left which are both great episodes, and terrifying in different ways.
  • Options
    Midnight was really scary!
  • Options
    'Turn Left' and 'Midnight' were both pretty freaking intense. I almost had to stop watching at one point. 'Turn Left' was heartbreaking, and 'Midnight' was just plain disturbing.
    I'm wondering if the new Doctor has the ability to carry off episodes like that. Tennant had amazing range as an actor. He could do anything. My wife was beginning to think I'd gone funny because she kept walking into the room to find me in tears.
    The new guy?
    I like him so far, but I don't know how much versatility he's got.
  • Options
    Midnight divides people I find. Personally I found it terrifyingly creepy but I know lots of people who thought it was rubbish. For a story that was a hastily written filler its pretty brilliant. And @LibraryBoy I'm loving your Who summaries and one liners. (I don't know you do I? I seem to know loads of Who fans that have connections to libraries)
  • Options
    @monkey010101 I don't know! Maybe? Do you know anyone working in a library in Rhode Island that's also taking MLIS courses online through the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee? If so, yeah, that's probably me.
  • Options
    Been picking away at the Troughton episodes on the Lost In Time box set this week. Even out of sequence and removed from their larger storylines, there's a lot to enjoy, and it makes me hate the BBC's destruction of so much of the Troughton era even more. It's really heartbreaking to see that only a few minutes - or even just a few seconds! - still exist of important stories like Power of the Daleks or The Highlanders, to name but two. It's always exciting when they find a copy of a whole episode stashed away somewhere, but I fear a good portion of this era is lost forever. Yeah, there are audio tracks and reconstructions, but it's not the same.
  • Options
    I agree. Althought we're incredibly lucky to have as much as we have. And I don't think I know you! :)
  • Options
    tommysheroestommysheroes Posts: 174
    AHHHHHHHH I can't contain the Whovian joy this thread and that list from library boy gave me.
  • Options
    DesertHermitDesertHermit Posts: 80
    edited May 2012
    They did it to me again!!
    "Vincent and the Doctor". I'm watching near the end, when they take Vincent to the Museé d'Orsay to see how much his work is revered, and I'm just a mess...
    My wife walks in and says: "Seriously?..."
    I'm sold on the new doctor.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Coincidentally, right around the time I watched that episode, I attended a traveling exhibit which featured paintings from the Museé d'Orsay collection, including some of van Gogh's works.
  • Options
    FoneBoneFoneBone Posts: 52
    edited May 2012
    Everyone always forgets Eight and a half Doctor, Rowan Atkins.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM
  • Options
    "Vincent and the Doctor". I'm watching near the end, when they take Vincent to the Museé d'Orsay to see how much his work is revered, and I'm just a mess...
    You've really been getting through the episodes. Do you have a life? lol At this rate you must be up to date.
    So as everything is so fresh for you, who's your fave Dr and assistant?

• Options

You've really been getting through the episodes. Do you have a life? lol At this rate you must be up to date.
    So as everything is so fresh for you, who's your fave Dr and assistant?
    I should have a life, but I haven't had one for so long now I think I'd freak out if I suddenly found myself with one.
    Netflix, and my growing dedication to viewing its copious offerings, may well be ultimately responsible for the dissolution of my marriage.

I just finished Season 5. Brilliant. Loved it (especially Amy), although I thought the ending of 'The Big Bang' was a little forced. Why did Russell Davies leave the show?
    My favorites so far? That's a tough one. I think I'd have to give it to David Tennant and Billie Piper. I like Amy, and Donna, but I legitimately loved Rose. And David Tennant was consistently AMAZING. Despite the fact that I do very much enjoy and appreciate Matt Smith, I do miss the mighty Tennant.
  • Options
    I just finished Season 5. Brilliant. Loved it (especially Amy), although I thought the ending of 'The Big Bang' was a little forced. Why did Russell Davies leave the show?
    Yeah, the ending kinda comes out of the "because I'm the writer and I say so" school of thought, but Davies was partial to that, too - remember the "I believe in fairies" moment from The Last of the Time Lords in Season 3? :D
  • Options
    Aw, man I didn't even know the series 7 trailer had come out! Now I'm even more excited for the new series. Love this show so much :)
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    LibraryBoy,

Wow! That list of highlights was awesome but I am slightly crushed that Visitation didn't make your Davison list. I've always felt it was the perfect introductory episode. It has history, humor, companions, the tardis and aliens all jammed into one. everything that Doctor Who (classic Who anyway) is shoved into that episode.

It also doesn't hurt that it was MY introductory episode.
  • Options
    I don't know where most of the folks here hail from but I'm a central IL guy. Anybody planning on going to Chicago Tardiscon this Thanksgiving? Sylvester McCoy is the Dr for this event and I'm super excited for next year because it actually falls on The 50th anniversary.
  • Options
    The Eccleston episode Father's Day gets me every time. I cry like a 12 year old Paris Hilton with a splinter. Every Freakin Time!

and the movie Armageddon.
  • Options
    On a seperate but related note. The new IDW DE/STTNG comic. It is pretty frakin good. The interiors on that, full painted...Woodward deserves a kiss cuz that was pretty pimp. I think I will be buying more of this.
  • Options
    GrimsisterGrimsister Posts: 35
    Doctor Who does wild west (Fade2Black's post)!? BAH...I just think they are trying to get a bigger American audience. I mean that STUPID intro they broadcast overseas (out of the UK) for the last season was bad enough, cos it sounded like Pond belonged to the Doctor exclusively. But if they continue American-ise D.W they'll drive everyone else away!
  • Options
    Doctor Who does wild west (Fade2Black's post)!? BAH...I just think they are trying to get a bigger American audience. I mean that STUPID intro they broadcast overseas (out of the UK) for the last season was bad enough, cos it sounded like Pond belonged to the Doctor exclusively. But if they continue American-ise D.W they'll drive everyone else away!
    Well, it does seem they pay America a little more mind now that the show actually does well over here, but at the same time, the Old West is a pretty popular era so far as entertainment settings go, it's a fun time travel scenario, and its one they haven't visited since the Hartnell era (well, not counting spin-off media like novels and audios, anyway). Plus, it's an American environment you can fake pretty convincingly without having to actually go to America. It could be pretty fun.

The intro is pretty lame, though, I agree.

• Options
    Anybody going to Chicago Tardiscon over thanksgiving? Sylvester McCoy is the main guest and next year the event actually falls on the day of the 50th anniversary.
  • Options
    That sounds amazing, and McCoy is a Doctor I'd love to meet, but the timing for that is terrible, anniversary or not!
  • Options
    For whatever reason it is always set it on Thanksgiving weekend and yeah that does seem a bit inconvenient here in the U.S. but apparently the Brits don't mind.