Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe/ Marvel NOW 2.0 (Might contain some spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    TIME TO END THE NEW NEW 52!!! AND BRING BACK THE OLD 52!!!

Marvel is kicking DC's BUTT!!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/06/marvel-opens-up-a-greater-marketshare-lead-on-dc-than-ever-before-including-the-whole-of-the-top-ten/

RETAIL MARKET SHARE

PUBLISHER SHARE
    MARVEL COMICS 43.65%
    DC ENTERTAINMENT 21.85%
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    That Vision comic, man that's some good comics.
  • Options
    Brack said:

That Vision comic, man that's some good comics.

Definitely. Started off going in one direction and then BAM! They totally flip the script.

Another great new comic? Dr Strange. Have never been a big fan of his, but man, if this is modelled after their vision of him in the upcoming movie, then the MCU will have another Guardians of the Galaxy on their hands.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Is anyone still reading/following Secret Wars? Did the release of post Secret War books before the end of the (late) finish of the event sour anybody on the event?
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Is anyone still reading/following Secret Wars? Did the release of post Secret War books before the end of the (late) finish of the event sour anybody on the event?

No, the event itself is doing that enough for me.

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Secret Wars has been great so far. Not reading any of the new titles, yet. Too far behind, so it works for me.
  • Options

Definitely. I was just thinking that same thing a few days ago. I'm actually really enjoying the event itself much more than I thought I would, but having the post books coming out before the event is over feels like Marvel is saying "The ending of this event isn't really that important. You've seen all you really need to know, so let's just get on with this. We've already got the next scheme to suck money out of your wallets in the pipe, and we need to get the ground work laid so we can roll it out in ASAP.....".

• Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137

Delays can bother me, but on the other hand, delays happen and it is what it is. I suspected this might happen before the event, but call me a sucker- I am sticking to reading the event books I have until SW is done, then moving on to the new material that's coming out.

I am interested in a lot of the new books but I just want to see how SW wraps up first. I think SW has been good- not great, but I'm enjoying it when it comes out. I'm reading Ultimate End and Thors- those are the only tie-in books I picked up. Those tie-ins have been OK but we're hanging on the last issue of each with the delays in the main series.

I have more than enough other stuff I've been reading in the meantime, so I don't mind a few months of ANAD Marvel piling up.
  • Options
    JohnnyWI said:

Definitely. I was just thinking that same thing a few days ago. I'm actually really enjoying the event itself much more than I thought I would, but having the post books coming out before the event is over feels like Marvel is saying "The ending of this event isn't really that important. You've seen all you really need to know, so let's just get on with this. We've already got the next scheme to suck money out of your wallets in the pipe, and we need to get the ground work laid so we can roll it out in ASAP.....".
    Depends on what you mean by "important". It's the conclusion of Hickman's tenure as a Marvel writer, and in that sense it's more important than any sort of in-continuity "importance" it might have. Few writers have delivered such a cohesive 8 year story that took place across multiple titles. Let alone one that actually has a conclusion.

• Options
    JohnnyWI said:

I generally agree with this. I think we all knew that after Secret Wars there would be a return to the status quo. To see that happen before the event is over kind of kills the excitment for the remainder of SW with me.

I like the story but I think the ball was dropped with SW. This had the potiential to be one of the top Marvel events ever. It was the culmination of years of story telling. For whatever reason, it seems like it is finishing with a collective "meh" from fans. The sales numbers are still strong so maybe I am completely wrong on this.
  • Options

JohnnyWI said:

I generally agree with this. I think we all knew that after Secret Wars there would be a return to the status quo. To see that happen before the event is over kind of kills the excitment for the remainder of SW with me.

I like the story but I think the ball was dropped with SW. This had the potiential to be one of the top Marvel events ever. It was the culmination of years of story telling. For whatever reason, it seems like it is finishing with a collective "meh" from fans. The sales numbers are still strong so maybe I am completely wrong on this.
    Admittedly, it's been years since I've read an event for either Marvel or DC, but Secret Wars seems to be more decompressed then I recall events being. 7 issues in so far & I feel like it's going nowhere interesting. If I didn't have them on my dcbs order, I'd have bailed long ago.

M
  • Options
    Since I read 90% of my Marvel reading on Unlimited I just started Secret Wars, and I don't get what's so great about it. 2 issues in and it feels like endless exposition. I've said this before, but I guess Hickman is just not a writer that I can relate to. I went into it with an open mind but was so bored by the two issues I've read that I probably won't continue. Maybe 1 more. I should say that since I'm not a fan of Hickman I haven't been reading his Avengers stuff, but I had a basic idea of what was going on. It's just always so laborious to read. But I am excited by a lot of the All-New Marvel titles, like Cap, Iron Man and Miles Morales Spider-man. I also like that for the first time ever Marvel is in a very generational mode. I hope it lasts for a while.
  • Options

Since I read 90% of my Marvel reading on Unlimited I just started Secret Wars, and I don't get what's so great about it. 2 issues in and it feels like endless exposition. I've said this before, but I guess Hickman is just not a writer that I can relate to. I went into it with an open mind but was so bored by the two issues I've read that I probably won't continue. Maybe 1 more. I should say that since I'm not a fan of Hickman I haven't been reading his Avengers stuff, but I had a basic idea of what was going on. It's just always so laborious to read. But I am excited by a lot of the All-New Marvel titles, like Cap, Iron Man and Miles Morales Spider-man. I also like that for the first time ever Marvel is in a very generational mode. I hope it lasts for a while.

Spoiler Alert for issues 3-7; 5 more issues of exposition.

M
  • Options

Still reading (and LOVING!) Secret Wars. The release of the new books is definitely a bit confusing. In some, they seem to pick up where they left off in the prior volume, in others they don't. And they do seem to allude to events that haven't taken place yet in the Secret Wars continuity. I just roll with it though.

• Options
    Brack said:

JohnnyWI said:

Depends on what you mean by "important". It's the conclusion of Hickman's tenure as a Marvel writer, and in that sense it's more important than any sort of in-continuity "importance" it might have. Few writers have delivered such a cohesive 8 year story that took place across multiple titles. Let alone one that actually has a conclusion.

Overall, I agree with your assessment of Hickman and his role at Marvel. I think he's turned in some really great stuff, and written a very cohesive story/universe. I have to admit though, that I found the last few months of the Avengers title leading up to Secret Wars to be a very tedious read. It felt like the double shipping of the title was really dragging the story out unnecessarily. Nor did I like the fact that you pretty much had to be reading New Avengers for the story to truly make sense. I hadn't been reading New Avengers, nor did I really want to. Aside from that, yes, he's been a great asset to the company.

I'm curious what you mean by "conclusion" though. Do you consider the ending of the entire Marvel universe the conclusion to his story? He is, after all, writing Secret Wars too. So I have to believe (unless someone knows otherwise) that he knew that his story would culminate WITH Secret Wars. In which case, THAT is my point. We DON'T have a conclusion yet, but Marvel doesn't seem to think the end of that story is too important since they are releasing what is essentially a new continuity that should be based on the outcome of Secret Wars. And, while I agree with Hickman's importance to the Marvel universe over the last several years, nothing should be more important than continuity.

What they're doing by releasing new books before the end of a story line (an "EVENT" no less), feels like they skipped the last few episodes of a tv show's season, and just went right into next season figuring you can just catch the last few episodes on Netflix or something. It diminishes the importance of the event's outcome, basically saying "There wont be any surprises anyway, so here's the new stuff right away.".
  • Options
    Matt said:

Spoiler Alert for issues 3-7; 5 more issues of exposition.

M
    I get what you are saying about exposition, but I actually am still enjoying the story quite a lot. What would have been nice, though, is if said exposition actually had any bearing on the direction of the Marvel universe, post Secret Wars. It seems to me that there is very little that has been affected directly or indirectly by the events of Secret Wars other than Marvel combining what it apparently believes to be the best of the 616 and Ultimate universes.

Not to say that there isn't some good stuff being done right now, because there is. It just seems to me that the whole event was/is pretty inconsequential. Which is too bad, this could have been a really cool way of starting over and changing things up, while still keeping a larger degree of continuity.
  • Options
    JohnnyWI said:

I'm curious what you mean by "conclusion" though. Do you consider the ending of the entire Marvel universe the conclusion to his story?

No, because we knew from the get go it wasn't ending for good (Al Ewing's New Avengers is making play with this idea of a rebootable universe by revealing that the Marvel universe had been rebooted multiple times prior).

The conclusion is the confrontation between Reed & Doom. Secret Wars (and as it turned out, New Avengers) as a whole is a sequel to his Fantastic Four/FF story where they have to retrieve Doom from a universe he'd created for himself.

And if you've been reading certain books in the "All-New, All-Different" launch, we've got a pretty good idea of how Secret Wars concludes for at least one of them.

• Options
    Brack said:

JohnnyWI said:

I'm curious what you mean by "conclusion" though. Do you consider the ending of the entire Marvel universe the conclusion to his story?

No, because we knew from the get go it wasn't ending for good (Al Ewing's New Avengers is making play with this idea of a rebootable universe by revealing that the Marvel universe had been rebooted multiple times prior).

The conclusion is the confrontation between Reed & Doom. Secret Wars (and as it turned out, New Avengers) as a whole is a sequel to his Fantastic Four/FF story where they have to retrieve Doom from a universe he'd created for himself.

And if you've been reading certain books in the "All-New, All-Different" launch, we've got a pretty good idea of how Secret Wars concludes for at least one of them.

Cool. I did not know that. Now I wanna go check out the Fantastic Four/FF story.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    JohnnyWI said:

Brack said:

JohnnyWI said:

Cool. I did not know that. Now I wanna go check out the Fantastic Four/FF story.
    It's Fantastic Four #611 (also the final issue of his Fantastic Four run).
  • Options
    Just read Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #1, and it was a fun, cute read. The artwork is very nice for the most part. I particularly liked the way Bustos drew the kids and Devil (which is important given the title). She has room for improvement in some of her figure drawing, but her storytelling is quite good, and I'm looking forward to seeing her develop going forward.

My only complaint is that Moon Girl herself may end up being a little too much of a Mary Sue, but I'm going to give it a few more issues to see where it goes.
  • Options
    Just read Totally Awesome Hulk, and it lives up to the title. Very fun, and Frank Cho doing what Frank Cho does best—being silly while drawing great action scenes with crazy monsters and beautiful women. The acting he puts into the characters is top-notch. This one looks to be a keeper. The only complaint I have is the colorist goes a little overboard in places for my taste, but it's a minor complaint.
  • Options
    Had a chance to read Silk #1 and I liked the reversal of the usual Spidey / J. Jonah Jameson relationship. Silk's become a villain, but is unable to convince JJJ of this. Also more Alchemax. I know they've been built up in Spider-Man of late, but they've also shown up in the new Wolverine too. Combined with who has shown up in Contest of Champions, I wonder if the ground work is being laid for a 2099-themed event down the line. 2017 will be the 25th anniversary, so that would be as good a time as any.
  • Options
    Just read Black Knight #1. It was... fine, I guess. We get a glimpse of Weirdworld, and I'm sure they'll be more craziness as the series progresses, but I was hoping to delve right into it. Instead, we get a brief battle to introduce some of the series’ bad guys, a little reminiscing from Dane, and ghostly visit from Sir Percy, and then a tease for next issue’s guest-appearance from a new team of superheroes—which is exactly what I didn't want.

The writing is fine, the art is fine, but it didn't grab me. Given the number of titles I'm excited about, this one didn't do enough for me to put on the list. Sorry, Dane.
  • Options
    Just read Daredevil #1. It was good. It's not the fun Mark Waid take, but it's not quite the depressing Bendis/Brubaker take either, at least not yet. Those who prefer a darker DD will probably like this one.

The new villain is a crimelord with cultish trappings. Could be an interesting character. We don't find out much about the new sidekick in this issue outside a major reveal on the last page, so I'm still undecided on him. Matt as lawyer supplied a few changes too, and should make for some nice scenes.

Artwise, Ron Garney crushed this. If you saw his Men of Wrath series, this is the natural progression on the path he started there. DD has a new costume, mostly black with red highlights, and the way Ron is approaching it is more liking drawing in white over a solid black figure. And the reds (boots, gloves, eyes, belt, holsters, and billy clubs) are generally solids of a dark red with no holding lines. It's very dramatic and looks fantastic. His inks are sharp, but have a looseness that gives the page a lot of energy.

All in all, the story and characterizations didn't blow me away, but they were solid, and the art is worth the price of admission alone. I don't know if I'm in for the long haul, but I'm going along for the ride for at least the first story arc to see how it goes.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

Just read Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #1, and it was a fun, cute read. The artwork is very nice for the most part. I particularly liked the way Bustos drew the kids and Devil (which is important given the title). She has room for improvement in some of her figure drawing, but her storytelling is quite good, and I'm looking forward to seeing her develop going forward.

My only complaint is that Moon Girl herself may end up being a little too much of a Mary Sue, but I'm going to give it a few more issues to see where it goes.

Grabbed it because I'm a Devil Dinosaur fan (who isn't?). I like the idea of a cute little girl and her big red Dino (kind of like a more dangerous Clifford). However, this first issue didn't really do it for me. Nice idea, but I doubt I'll continue with it.

• Options
    Hex said:

Grabbed it because I'm a Devil Dinosaur fan (who isn't?). I like the idea of a cute little girl and her big red Dino (kind of like a more dangerous Clifford). However, this first issue didn't really do it for me. Nice idea, but I doubt I'll continue with it.

I gave it to my daughter to read, and I'm waiting to hear her verdict on it. That'll make a difference on how long I give it.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    The last issue of Secret Wars has been pushed back another week. This is in addition to last week's announcement of a two week delay.

I did like it in the comments section when someone said they should just release it as Civil War II #0

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/marvel-delays-secret-wars-finale-one-more-week

• Options

The last issue of Secret Wars has been pushed back another week. This is in addition to last week's announcement of a two week delay.

I did like it in the comments section when someone said they should just release it as Civil War II #0

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/marvel-delays-secret-wars-finale-one-more-week

First, I really liked Civil War. Aside from my nostalgia for Secret Wars, it's the top of my Marvel events list. Having stated that, they were able to capitalize on my interest of the original series & bamboozled me into getting this Secret Wars; even some of the tie-ins. That will not happen with Civil War II.

Secondly, and more importantly, I call utter bull shit on these delays. I'd be embarrassed if I was Marvel (or DC) when events are not released on time. This is a headlining event. If there's no way the writer submit the first issue with having nearly the whole thing completed. If artists are struggling to keep up, then they should be pulled from their regular titles to focus on the event. Hell, make these things shorter events. The last batch I've read were all longer then they should've been anyway.

Delays are unacceptable and a solid reason for not buying events as they are released. F-'em and "delay" your buying to wait for the trade!

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    "The story got bigger, the revelations more shocking, the scale of the action grander than any of us anticipated," Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso said of the delay.
    The speculating conspiracy side of my brain thinks this is about FOX and Marvel coming to terms and Marvel's original Fantastic Four ending in Secret Wars was changed to fit those terms... Whatever the reasons, it appears there's definitely been some interference from Marvel editorial, because I believe Hickman has largely been done with this story for a while.

Fun speculation aside...

What's another week? Some comic readers get bent out of shape over delays. As if they believe they're entitled to never be inconvenienced.

And for those of us who used to buy comics before the internet, you never actually knew when a comic had become available until you saw it on the Marvel Bullpen pages. Readers had no information regarding the printing and distribution schedules. And comic subscriptions were a crap shoot. Now a days, there's so much transparency in the process, we know it all. There's so little point in getting upset if something's late. "Back in my day" they actually had comics that only came out every other month! Perish the thought.

Right now, I envy those who decided to "wait for the trade" on this event, because I think it will be a fantastic one hour read for any Marvel comic lover. I can wait for the delays, I'm pretty far behind in my reading as it is, but from what I've read of SW so far, it will be worth the wait.