Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What has the New 52 done right?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MarcusQMarcusQ Posts: 8
    My favourite comic to come out of the New 52 is a comic that's already been cancelled! Resurrection Man!! I loved the original series and was so glad it was briefly resurrected. I don't think it was as good as the 90s series but it was a good effort.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    MarcusQ said:

My favourite comic to come out of the New 52 is a comic that's already been cancelled! Resurrection Man!! I loved the original series and was so glad it was briefly resurrected. I don't think it was as good as the 90s series but it was a good effort.

I really enjoyed that too.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited July 2015
    OMAC
    Frankenstien Agent of SHADE
    Animal Man
    Swamp Thing
    Batman
    Aquaman
    Allstar Western
    Stormwatch (which was great)
    Demon Knights (also great)
    and my favorite Wonder Woman

If we were taking bets 5 years ago more people would have taken Wonder Woman being cancelled over her having the best book at DC.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    TIME TO END THE NEW NEW 52!!! AND BRING BACK THE OLD 52!!!

Marvel is kicking DC's BUTT!!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/06/marvel-opens-up-a-greater-marketshare-lead-on-dc-than-ever-before-including-the-whole-of-the-top-ten/

RETAIL MARKET SHARE

PUBLISHER SHARE
    MARVEL COMICS 43.65%
    DC ENTERTAINMENT 21.85%
  • Options
    Since Marvel has so many new series starting, this is no surprise, but admittedly, things are worse than they could be with all of DCs lackluster titles. But, then again, a lot of those Marvel #1s don't have me particularly engaged either.

As far as what the New 52 got right, I think initially they got a lot right. I started out buying 15 titles regularly. By a year I'd dropped 5 and by 18 months I dropped another 5. Now I'm down to just Wonder Woman and Superman/ Wonder Woman.

Initially all the titles dealt with reintroducing the character(s) and their supporting casts and, by and large, a lot of them did it pretty well. For about 12 months we didn't have much in the way of cross overs. I think that's something they got right and had they continued doing that more of us might have stayed on more titles. At least I would have. At about 18 months in, I was starting to look at Image titles. Every book that had a cross over I dropped to try Image titles that were self contained. This is what they got right with Wonder Woman and a few other titles. It makes a good storyline much more likely.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Marvel has had nothing to entice me since Brubaker left Cap. DC, on the other hand, continues to entertain me with some of their books.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Well, new52 has saved me a whole bunch of money. They've done that really incredibly well.

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited November 2015
    Over the last two DCBS shipments, I have gotten Covergence and all the tie in trades except one.

This is the first "event" I can remember where I am more excited and interested in the tie in books than the main series.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

OMAC
    Frankenstien Agent of SHADE
    Animal Man
    Swamp Thing
    Batman
    Aquaman
    Allstar Western
    Stormwatch (which was great)
    Demon Knights (also great)
    and my favorite Wonder Woman

If we were taking bets 5 years ago more people would have taken Wonder Woman being cancelled over her having the best book at DC.

Meh. Wonder Woman was one of the first I dropped. Didn't care for the new take.

(Mind you, WW has always been one of the toughest books for me to get into... some versions work, some don't. I've always liked her best as part of the JLA, moreso than as a solo act. But that's just me...)
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    bamfbamf said:

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    bamfbamf said:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/06/marvel-opens-up-a-greater-marketshare-lead-on-dc-than-ever-before-including-the-whole-of-the-top-ten/

RETAIL MARKET SHARE

PUBLISHER SHARE
    MARVEL COMICS 43.65%
    DC ENTERTAINMENT 21.85%

I guess DC should publish more Star Wars comics.
  • Options
    David_D said:

bamfbamf said:

RETAIL MARKET SHARE

PUBLISHER SHARE
    MARVEL COMICS 43.65%
    DC ENTERTAINMENT 21.85%

I see a Batman & Harley Quinn team up book in the future.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

David_D said:

bamfbamf said:

RETAIL MARKET SHARE

PUBLISHER SHARE
    MARVEL COMICS 43.65%
    DC ENTERTAINMENT 21.85%

I was hoping we'd hit "peak Harley Quinn" already, but you're probably right.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879

just thinking about a DC version of Star Wars makes me cringe and shudder.

• Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited November 2015

David_D said:

bamfbamf said:

RETAIL MARKET SHARE

PUBLISHER SHARE
    MARVEL COMICS 43.65%
    DC ENTERTAINMENT 21.85%

She has essentially become the female Deadpool...well, I mean...the OTHER female Deadpool. The DC female Deadpool. *sigh*

• Options

David_D said:

bamfbamf said:

RETAIL MARKET SHARE

PUBLISHER SHARE
    MARVEL COMICS 43.65%
    DC ENTERTAINMENT 21.85%

She has essentially become the female Deadpool...well, I mean...the OTHER female Deadpool. The DC female Deadpool. *sigh*

You may be on to something. Just like Marvel did Deadpool's Secret War, DC can retcon Harley into events and publish new stuff.

Harley Quinn's Crisis on Infinite Earths and Harley Quinn's Zero Hour. So many possibilities.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    To add positivity, I enjoyed the hell out of Convergence: Blue Beetle.

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    As much as I agree about "Too Much Harley" - I love the way she's being portrayed in Injustice:Gods Among Us as well as the current Palmiotti/Conner run.

It's why I don't give Deadpool fans too much crap. :)
  • Options
    I have enjoyed most of the New 52, until they start doing events/crossovers/multiple dimensions. Then, the stories tend to go to crap and, basically, just become youtube videos of stuff blowing up. Sure, it looks cool, but it gets old really quick.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I miss Vibe. That was an awesome New 52 book. And with Cisco getting his powers on Flash I miss it more.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    luke52 said:

I miss Vibe. That was an awesome New 52 book. And with Cisco getting his powers on Flash I miss it more.

That was a fun book. I was just thinking about it the other day.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Thanks for the crosslink @DoctorDoom. I've been a longtime comics fan - mostly non-discriminating between Marvel and DC in the Bronze Age and through to the early 90's. I took a break in the late 90's - got married, had a couple of kids and needed the money. DC brought me back into the fold with the first Legion Lost, while post-Heroes Reborn, Quesada EIC Marvel pretty much rejected my efforts almost every time I tried.

I wasn't entirely thrilled by the idea of the New 52 when it was announced - there were too many things that I was really enjoying that came to a crashing close with Flashpoint. However, I thought some of the stuff that we saw in Flashpoint were interesting takes on characters. When the New 52 was announced, I was impressed with the broad range of books and was thrilled that they were carrying Frankenstein forward, that they were doing a military book, that they were bringing back Blackhawks (that one turned out to be a massive letdown, but the Bronze age Blackhawks run that inexplicably brought the team to the modern era was a favorite comicbook memory from my childhood) and that they were doing a fantasy book like Demon Knights.

Beyond that, there were quite a few things that I enjoyed that were more conventional capes and tights books. I mostly skipped out on Batman and Superman, but that has largely been true in my entire comic reading history in favor of characters like Green Lantern and Aquaman. Aquaman was superb and Green Lantern has, overall, been consistently good since Rebirth... the constant crossover was a nice way to expand the overall Green Lantern universe and give it a cosmic scope, but it did stress my wallet while Aquaman was a really, really good book.

Much of that is now moot given that we're post Convergence and all the rules have once more been changed. Currently, I continue to really like what they're doing with Green Lantern. I'm less thrilled with this version of Aquaman, bust still engaged enough to read the book on a monthly basis. Justice League is quite good. Secret Six started slow but has been an enjoyable read - It's not quite up to Villains United and the follow-up Secret Six, but still quite enjoyable. I'm also enjoying the New Suicide Squad, but I don't have the sacred Harley Quinn fan rage on that front any more than I do about how Starfire was neutered with Teen Titans Go! and then sexed up again in Red Hood and the Outsiders.

I guess, what it comes down to is that I read some things for the creators, some for the art style and some for the characters. I dropped Legion shortly after Zero Hour out of protest for the direction that they went and then it ended up getting good and I tracked all of those missing issues down in back issue to see how that transition happened. I can weather through some weak spots so that I don't miss the characters that I've enjoyed for so long. That's the reason I keep trying to dip my toes back into Marvel and find it frustrating (and a relief to my wallet) that I can't find an engaging entry point.