Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Jessica Jones on Netflix - Spoilers. Please label spoiler posts by episode.

A reminder: please label at the top of your post what episode you are talking about/up to, so that those watching the show at different paces can skip a post that will spoil, and find it again later. Thanks!

Go for it.

And as we will all be watching these at a different pace, I would suggest putting a header at the top with either what episode you are commenting on, or if you are making general reviews, then what episode you are up to. Thanks. I will start a sample one below. And with a tip of the hat to @bralinator for the reminder that we could use a thread here, as I know there is a lot of excitement for today's premiere. And some of you have weekend binging plans.

Comments

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    SPOILERS EPISODE ONE

(I can't wait to actually see this so I could talk about it. Hopefully later tonight. But just doing this one as a sample to get started. Onward!)
  • bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    I CANT WAIT TO WATCH IT!!!
  • Only seen the first episode, but it was excellent. Manages to be scary/creepy, without actually killing a bunch of people. Reminiscent of "When a Stranger Calls" (1979 version), in that the tension just keeps building.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Episode 1 - thoughts (no spoilers)

Didn't grab me the way Daredevil did, but nonetheless looks promising.
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Minor Spoiler:

Isn't NYU a Division III school? If so, then they don't give out athletic scholarships?
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    On ep 3

Loving the Trish Walker character. This one's a grower.
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    luke52 said:

On ep 3

Loving the Trish Walker character. This one's a grower.

It didn't even hit me that , as a comics fan, I know who she is.

It knocked me over the head when a fan asked for her autograph and had certain memorabilia....
  • MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    I'm 6 episodes in so far and I think Netflix is 2 for 2 with these series it's a great sign for future series.

Jessica is a great character the supporting cast is really good and the Purple Man is great. I love when Jessica is thinking about Purple Man how the world turns Purple it's a great touch.
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Oh man. This show is so good.
  • MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    Episode 13.

I finished and I thought it was really good but there where a few things that made it not as good as DD to me.

The Carrie-Ann Moss character was good but her whole side plot involving her currently divorcing wife and fiancee wasn't very good imo. I thought it was a very forced storyline and I didn't give a you know what about it.

And there where a few episodes towards the end where it felt like they where just stalling time until the Finale.

And one thing hated is that they never called him Purple Man just like Kingpin in DD.

But still overall really good and it has me looking forward to the other shows.
  • Episode One:

I'm actually kinda glad they've waited so long to introduce TRUE mind control into the Marvel Universe (Yeah I know, Loki's Scepter, Scarlet Witch, etc.). And the fact that they made it something a super strong character has to deal with...it's got a sort of Lex Luthor VS Superman vibe to it right? Supes has to face a problem that he can't simply punch into submission. Same sorta thing here. (Keep in mind I know alot about the Marvel Universe, but not enough to know the HISTORY of Jessica Jones and her cast of characters like Luke Cage.) Interesting to see how they make this play out over 13 episodes while not spending so much time on it and stretching it out so much it gets dull.
    Episode 13

I'm done, and I enjoyed it. Not as much as Daredevil, but this was still a great show. There were times that I didn't even care that she was super powered. That's how good the show was.

One of my few quibbles is that I felt this show gave us another Ben Urich.
    Episode 13/Post series Continuity nods

(Thanks tv tropes)

People with superpowers are referred to as "Gifted," a term Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. coined.

Like in Daredevil, the events of The Avengers are still called "The Incident".

The villain of Episode 4 is a fashion designer who hates superheroes because the Avengers failed to save her mother during the Chitauri invasion.

Jessica and Luke both mention "the big green guy" as the superhero they identify the most with, given their own abilities.

There's growing public dissatisfaction with the Avengers and heroes in general, sentiment that was first shown brewing in Ant-Man and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. after the events of Avengers: Age of Ultron.

• bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Episode 1

This is a horror show and the protagonist is, so far, utterly unlikeable.

I will finish the series, but I won't be binge watching.
  • Episode 1

Episode 1

Never read the comic, I take it? She's actually a very sympathetic character, she's just horribly messed up. I don't think Bendis ever used the term PTSD in the comic, as they did in the first episode (which is all I've had time to watch so far), but that's certainly how he wrote her. And, hey, she could have run away, but she tried to help, despite how messed up she is and how afraid of Killgrave she is. It's a small step towards putting her life back together and perhaps becoming the person she once was.

But, yes, it is a psychological horror show (at least the first episode anyway).

I'm not binge watching either, but that's more because of my lack of time. I mean, I still haven't watched Daredevil yet.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Episode 1

Episode 1

Never read the comic, I take it? She's actually a very sympathetic character, she's just horribly messed up. I don't think Bendis ever used the term PTSD in the comic, as they did in the first episode (which is all I've had time to watch so far), but that's certainly how he wrote her. And, hey, she could have run away, but she tried to help, despite how messed up she is and how afraid of Killgrave she is. It's a small step towards putting her life back together and perhaps becoming the person she once was.

But, yes, it is a psychological horror show (at least the first episode anyway).

I'm not binge watching either, but that's more because of my lack of time. I mean, I still haven't watched Daredevil yet.
    Regardless of her actions, she is unlikable in nearly every way. I'm not saying she isn't sympathetic or compelling. This first episode didn't give the viewer much to like.

The conclusion that this is a horror show is separate from her likability.

From the online feedback I've seen so far, I have a sinking feeling there won't be much of a character arc in this either. That said, I will still be watching, a few episodes a week, because, like you, I have a massive lack of time on my hands. And when I am free, I'm usually with my wife - and she couldn't handle more than a couple of episodes of Daredevil... and so, she isn't watching this.

(You should be watching Daredevil, Eric.)
  • (You should be watching Daredevil, Eric.)

I'll get around to it eventually. Probably. To be quite honest, there are only two “must see” shows for me: Adventure Time and Steven’s Universe, my daughter's two favorite shows, which we watch and enjoy together.

All my other viewing is based on whim at the rare times I have the chance and have control of the remote. And I liked Bendis’ Alias series more than his Daredevil series, so whim chose Jessica Jones first.
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    EPISODES 1-4

I would binge watch the hell out of this if I had more time. As it is, I can only squeeze in one (or two) episodes a day, and it is going to kill me to watch it sooooo slow.

Loving the Film Noir vibe, and I actually dig Krysten Ritter way more than I thought I would (although I think she would have made a better Jessica Drew, than Jessica Jones).

It took me a couple of episodes in to realize that Jeri Hogarth is played by Carrie-Anne Moss. And it also took me a couple of episodes to realize that "Jeri" Hogarth is probably the cinematic version of "Jeryn" Hogarth from the Iron Fist comics. I think that bodes well for an Iron Fist set up.

Also, really enjoying seeing "Trish" have a prominent role so early in the show. Fingers crossed she suits up by the end of the series. Giggled when she accidentally clobbered the dude trying to get her to autograph some Patsy Walker comics.

Also... "Sweet Christmas" Ha Ha, well done.
  • Hex said:

It took me a couple of episodes in to realize that Jeri Hogarth is played by Carrie-Anne Moss. And it also took me a couple of episodes to realize that "Jeri" Hogarth is probably the cinematic version of "Jeryn" Hogarth from the Iron Fist comics. I think that bodes well for an Iron Fist set up.

According to Carrie-Anne Moss's IMDB page, it's definitely her.

Iron Fist (TV Series) (announced)
    Jeryn Hogarth
    - Episode #1.1 ... Jeryn Hogarth
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    SPOILERS.....?

First, I know zero about this character.

I'm three eps in. I'll say It's well made. But, so far if it weren't for Luke cage and the purple man elements I wanted to turn it off. At least in the first ep and mainly the first 30 min. I didn't find a single character relatable or more importantly remotely likeable. I disliked everyone. Only Luke cage less so.
    I get the impression whoever made this hates men or made it for people who do. Every opportunity was seized to simply dump on any available male seemingly and for no reason. It was annoying.
    It's rare for TV/movies to sell me on the cliche tough as nails, hard living, hard drinking, give no fu(&$ and take no shit bad ass Chick... and this was no exception. I get it. She's as bad ass as any man, because she's just like the men in such roles historically. I get it but I don't buy it.
    The sex scenes were gratuitous and quickly became silly.
    This didn't feel like the same city as daredevil. Here, I can't figure why everyone in this city hasn't slit their wrists? This is becoming a frequent theme that I'm burnt out on. A miserable city fully of miserable people being miserable to each other. I can only take so much bleakness and depression in supposedly real world environments.
    They couldcr done better introducing her abilities. Made the reveal of it more entertaining or interesting (not to mention hinted at an explanation) but instead just kindve suddenly there they we. No doubt they'll explain an origin later on but I would've handled it differently.
    Really the only thing compelling me to continue is the purple man elements.
    We'll see going forward how it plays out. I might end up really enjoying it. Now I'm only enjoying the main story itself but very little else.

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited November 2015
    Episode 1
    batlaw said:

I get the impression whoever made this hates men or made it for people who do. Every opportunity was seized to simply dump on any available male seemingly and for no reason. It was annoying.

Really? I didn't get that at all. Let's see, there's the neighbor, who's a thief, but who's played as comic relief—stereotyping maybe, but not hate. There's the guy who she has to serve a warrant to, but then, if you're getting served there's a good chance you're not a great person. There's the dad, who is portrayed as a typical Midwestern dad—definitely no hate there. There’s Cage, who's portrayed as a decent guy except that he sleeps around and doesn't seem to want to commit to a relationship—and that's important to the Cage/Jones relationship. And there's [EDIT: Killgrave], who is after all the villain of the show.
    batlaw said:

It's rare for TV/movies to sell me on the cliche tough as nails, hard living, hard drinking, give no fu(&$ and take no shit bad ass Chick... and this was no exception. I get it. She's as bad ass as any man, because she's just like the men in such roles historically. I get it but I don't buy it.

That's the thing though, the “take no shit, bad-ass chick” is just a defense mechanism. It's a cover to disguise how screwed up [EDIT: Killgrave] made her. I'm hoping they flashback to her younger days pre-Purple Man, as they did in the comic, so everyone saying how unrelatable she is will see the before and after. But then, I know alcoholics, and I know people who suffer from severe depression, and I know a rape victim, so maybe that makes her a little more relatable to me.
    batlaw said:

The sex scenes were gratuitous and quickly became silly.

I agree with that considering how they handled it here. They just ripped the scene out of the comic without using the context that Cage and Jones knew each other back when she was a cape pre-[EDIT: Killgrave]. The scene makes a lot more sense in the comic (though it could be argued that it was somewhat gratuitous there too).
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    @nweathington Um...Killgrave not Killraven (that's a different character).
  • @nweathington Um...Killgrave not Killraven (that's a different character).

Edited for your approval.
  • Really liked the last episode, but around 9-12 I was wishing for a new story line. Or at least mix it up with her working more than one case at a time. I also was wishing they would incorporate her "super"-ness a little more. Not necessarily huge fight scenes, but more augmenting her detective job and daily life with her strength, e.g. jumping up several flights of a fire escape rather than walking.
    REMINDER!
    PLEASE label your comments by EPISODE # so as to not spoiler it for the rest of us.

Thanks in advance.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    FYI (I believe this is the entire series for $28)...

edited November 2015
    EPISODE 6

Angela Del Toro, the other private investigator that Jessica tries to recommend for Luke, had a short run as the White Tiger, before the mystical Jade Tiger amulet passed along to her (younger) aunt; Ava Ayala (sister of the original White Tiger). It would be great to see White Tiger show up in this corner of Marvel's cinematic world (maybe in the Iron Fist series?).
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Non spoiler final thoughts:
    Finished it off tonight. Ultimately it was good. Just... Good. Well made. Well done. I wanted to see what happened next and kept willingly watching so it was "good". But not great. Not as good as daredevil. By the end I still didn't like or care about anyone anymore than I did throughout which is a negative to me. Everyone was just so unpleasant and nasty. And not in a charismatic, clever "love to hate em" kindve way. Imo the finale was really anti climatic and disappointing. Plenty of flaws but entertaining and worth watching.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited November 2015
    Finally watched Ep 1 last night..pretty good. I'd never read the series, only her and Luke in Avengers, so the story is new to me(I did know about the Purple Man involvement though).

I'll probably binge it this weekend.