Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Deadpool Movie News

Comments

• BrackBrack Posts: 868
    I like Deadpool about 75% of the time. This fell in the other 25%. The "jokes" felt like Hannibal King lines that had been thrown out of the Blade 3 script. Like they were trying too hard. Or maybe I am just too old (though that would mean Ryan Reynolds is too).
  • bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    what a tease... a trailer for the trailer.. which drops tomorrow

https://youtu.be/QPZHBjyUGhQ
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I just can't help but feel this won't work as a movie.

Hoping to be proved wrong.
  • bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    Bryan Singer is not directing this... so i am very hopeful it will be good!
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Just thinking of Reynolds in that suit gives me the claustrophobic heebie jeebies.
  • rebis said:

Just thinking of Reynolds in that suit gives me the claustrophobic heebie jeebies.

Is it actually a suit? I mean, the mask too? Looks CGI to me.

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    It's nice to see the people who love this character so happy.
  • This is one Marvel movie that really isn't even on my radar. I don't know how good or bad the film will be, and I have no opinion on it either way. I just... don't like the character. Never understood the appeal. I'll be passing on this one... though, for all I know, I might wind up being talked into seeing it with friends.
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

rebis said:

Is it actually a suit? I mean, the mask too? Looks CGI to me.

It could be CGI. However, just the thought of having your mouth and eyes covered like that gives me the willies.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I watched Reynolds on Conan the other night. It sounds like the suit is real. He & the director got misty when they first saw it & Reynolds stated they let him keep one of them.

M
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    The fact you could see him raise his eyebrow while he had the mask on is good that you can have him remote and not to have it ripped off like they kept doing for the Spider-man movies.

The fact you could see him raise his eyebrow while he had the mask on is good that you can have him remote and not to have it ripped off like they kept doing for the Spider-man movies.

Having watched enough Super Sentai & Kamen Rider, the "you can't act with your face covered" theory is nonsense. The problem is Hollywood doesn't have enough talented mimes and suit actors. You can't have Doug Jones play everyone under a mask.
  • mphilmphil Posts: 448

This is one Marvel movie that really isn't even on my radar. I don't know how good or bad the film will be, and I have no opinion on it either way. I just... don't like the character. Never understood the appeal. I'll be passing on this one... though, for all I know, I might wind up being talked into seeing it with friends.

I'm the opposite, I've never read an issue of Deadpool or even, as far as I can recall, read an issue of a comic that Deadpool appeared in. But the trailer is interesting enough to me that I'd like to buy a Deadpool comic and see if I do like the character after all.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    The current Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars has been a hoot, and I'm not even a Deadpool fan. Not sure I will see this in the theaters, but I might. More likely a DVD selection.
  • JulienaeJulienae Posts: 23
    I'm pretty sure Copycat has the best superpowers avail. Ok, memory loss side-effect , but still!
    mphil said:

This is one Marvel movie that really isn't even on my radar. I don't know how good or bad the film will be, and I have no opinion on it either way. I just... don't like the character. Never understood the appeal. I'll be passing on this one... though, for all I know, I might wind up being talked into seeing it with friends.

I'm the opposite, I've never read an issue of Deadpool or even, as far as I can recall, read an issue of a comic that Deadpool appeared in. But the trailer is interesting enough to me that I'd like to buy a Deadpool comic and see if I do like the character after all.
    The good thing about Deadpool comics that tends to get overlooked is that writers often get longer runs on the character than you normally find these days. To the point where what is considered the classic run (Joe Kelly's) is actually one of the shorter runs. The key voices of the character are:

Joe Kelly - Deadpool (1997) 1-33, plus various spin-offs, specials
    Fabian Nicieza - Cable & Deadpool (2004) 1-50, plus the two original 90s Deadpool mini-series
    Daniel Way - Deadpool (2008) 1-63
    Gerry Duggan (w. Brian Posehn) (2013) 1-45, plus various spin-offs, and he's back on Deadpool post-Secret Wars.

The only one I'm not keen on is Way's, but it definitely has its fans, as born out by its 63 issues. My favourite is Cable & Deadpool, but you might as well dip into Duggan's as he looks to be continuing as Deadpool's voice in comics as he's both writing him in Deadpool and Uncanny Avengers after Secret Wars.
  • http://collider.com/deadpool-2-cable-story-details-simon-kinberg/

Simon Kinberg on ‘Deadpool’ Rough Cut, Sequel Talks, and Cable
  • TravisTravis Posts: 35
    edited December 2015
    The good thing about Deadpool comics that tends to get overlooked is that writers often get longer runs on the character than you normally find these days. To the point where what is considered the classic run (Joe Kelly's) is actually one of the shorter runs. The key voices of the character are:

Joe Kelly - Deadpool (1997) 1-33, plus various spin-offs, specials
    Fabian Nicieza - Cable & Deadpool (2004) 1-50, plus the two original 90s Deadpool mini-series
    Daniel Way - Deadpool (2008) 1-63
    Gerry Duggan (w. Brian Posehn) (2013) 1-45, plus various spin-offs, and he's back on Deadpool post-Secret Wars.

The only one I'm not keen on is Way's, but it definitely has its fans, as born out by its 63 issues. My favourite is Cable & Deadpool, but you might as well dip into Duggan's as he looks to be continuing as Deadpool's voice in comics as he's both writing him in Deadpool and Uncanny Avengers after Secret Wars.
    I was wondering about others opinion on which Deadpool comics to start with. I have a Barnes and Noble gift card from Christmas and with their buy 2 get the 3rd free sale going on I was thinking of getting some Deadpool trades. I can get either Daniel Way Vol 1-3 or Duggan and Posehn trades Vol 1-6 for about the same cost, around $25-30 dollars.

What would people recommend Way or Duggan? Thanks
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Duggan, definitely. He adds a heart to the character that I found was missing in Way's run.
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I'm excited to see this but I hope it's better and funnier than the trailers show so far. More than just F-bombs.
  • TravisTravis Posts: 35

Duggan, definitely. He adds a heart to the character that I found was missing in Way's run.

Thanks. I got the first 3 trades.
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Travis said:

Thanks. I got the first 3 trades.
    Enjoy the ride!
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I cannot believe this. After everything I've seen from this movie...I'm really excited for it.
  • I liked the trailer enough to be optimistic. But this movie has two significant hurdles to clear.

First, they are releasing it in February, which usually signals the studio expects very little. This is unlike Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man which, while surprise hits, were released in mid/late Summer, implying the studio had some confidence in them (and would put marketing dollars behind them).

Second, Ryan Reynolds is the lead. Seems like a likeable guy, but who's the last actor to be given so many lead roles without a hit. He's had a couple of rom-coms that have been modest successes, but he's also had outright bombs (one of which was obviously a super-hero movie) and no defining hit.

That being said, he does seem like a natural match for the character. So maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I liked the trailer enough to be optimistic. But this movie has two significant hurdles to clear.

First, they are releasing it in February, which usually signals the studio expects very little. This is unlike Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man which, while surprise hits, were released in mid/late Summer, implying the studio had some confidence in them (and would put marketing dollars behind them).

Second, Ryan Reynolds is the lead. Seems like a likeable guy, but who's the last actor to be given so many lead roles without a hit. He's had a couple of rom-coms that have been modest successes, but he's also had outright bombs (one of which was obviously a super-hero movie) and no defining hit.

That being said, he does seem like a natural match for the character. So maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

The trailers have been interesting enough to get the movie added to my Netflix list.

Good point on RR, but I think this has a better chance of success then his bombs; even the other comic book properties.

I haven't seen RIPD, but he wasn't really the lead. Blade Trinity was good, but he was more a supporting character.

He was completely miscast as Hal Jordan, then he played himself in the movie. The movie was basically Batman & Robin motivated by merchandising & for kids.

He's played Deadpool (or at least a version) previously, so he's familiar with the character and role. More importantly, he was praised in the role. Also, this movie is rated R. That might play better for the character (admittedly, I've never been a fan, so I'm not familiar with him.) Being rated R means this isn't motivated for merchandising & kids.

M