Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Daredevil on Netflix S1&S2 (Spoilers- Please label spoilers by episode)

Comments

• Any word on who's gonna play Bullseye? I know Statham bailed out.
  • MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    S2Ep4.

Season 2 has been great so far. The Punisher has been great the best film adaptation of him. I would totally watch a series about him.

The fight in episode 3 was amazing definitely a call back to last season's hallway fight scene. Just one continuous shot and it was fantastic.
    S2Ep13.

Season 2 was great. I loved both the Punisher and Elektra. The Punisher's storyline was very good and they definitely left it open to continue in his own series.

Elektra's story was good idk if this Black Sky thing was something from the comics? But her and Matt where really good together.

I thought all the fight scenes where fantastic. The one with Frank in the prison was awesome.

And I liked the added storyline with Stick. And I'm guessing the guy we saw him talking to last season was the guy who started this Anti Hand group?

The introduction of The Hand was good they where the Main Villain of this season and they where done well.

Though one of negatives is I wish there would have one big bad at the head of the Hand instead of Nobu. Seeing Kingpin in the prison showed how much he was missed but they definitely did a good job of setting up Season 3.

And probably my biggest negative was Foggy he really added nothing to story and by the end I felt like he was an afterthought.

But overall really good I liked this season better then season 1 and I loved season 1. So with these 2 seasons of DD and the 1season of Jessica I'd say Netflix is 3 for 3.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited March 2016
    S2 Ep 1 & 2

I'm glad the show is back, though I think the season is off to a middling start.

These first two episodes feel more like 'Daredevil's Friend Foggy Nelson, featuring Daredevil" than a Daredevil show. I feel like they are leaning too heavily on having Foggy drive the narrative and establish the stakes.

It feels like the budget is lower than S1. Hell's Kitchen seems to have become a very empty place, and there are a lot more 'big empty warehouse' scenes than the first season. The supporting cast is smaller (suddenly, that one police officer from S1, Foggy's friend, seems to be The Only Police Character Who Gets More Than 5 Lines-- as that puts you at a higher pay rate as an actor-- and so suddenly he is doing everything from keeping the crowd back at a crime scene, to being in charge of the interrogation/ witness protection meeting for the only surviving witness of a a room where 10 people were killed?? This is nitpicky, but I think that would be a detective's job, and they might even have a partner along with them. But not having those layers of characters just makes the show feel less real, and more cheaply done. I worry that this will be a trend for these Netflix Marvel shows-- spend on/ make a splash with the first season, and then budget the second season for an audience you can take for granted while spending on launching the next one.

Again, those are nitpicky, but my main turnoff so far is Punisher. I am a longtime Punisher fan, so I am going to be hard to please. And it is only two episodes in, so there is plenty of room for the way they are doing the character to get better. But that sequence of him walking through the hospital, indiscriminately firing a scatter shots from a shotgun? All wrong. That felt like a scene about a T-800 Terminator, who is heading straight for the target and doesn't give a damn about any other human beings around, rather than a Punisher scene. His target was a sitting duck, and *that* was his plan? Nope. Way too easy for civilians to get hurt. Way too poor of an approach. That felt like what criminals would do if they wanted to frame the Punisher for something. That sequence felt like a terror attack rather than Punisher planning and executing a mission.

And I could see if they were, say, doing the crazy, over the top Punisher (a la his original, since-retconned Spider-Man appearances), or if we are supposed to feel that he is just starting out and bad at this (a plan that goes bad, but his stubbornness to get the guy takes over, and the whole incident is a mess he learns from, a la Bruce's first night out as a vigilante in Batman Year One, before that bat comes through the window), then maybe I could see that. But there are all sorts of expository scenes where police and district attorneys are telling us that he is the 'one man Seal Team 6', and using all kinds of military efficiency-- that sounds like the Punisher we are used to. But in scenes like that hospital attack, or deciding to take the risk of springing a police trap just to finally get the last, and it seems, a pretty low-level, Irish mob guy, it just doesn't play. There would be too much risk in both those sequences of police and other innocent parties getting caught in the crossfire. It isn't working for me.

So, we'll see. Hope it gets better from here.
  • zikaatlawzikaatlaw Posts: 56
    Through s2ep9. Don't care what the characters are "supposed to be" from the comics. This is good storytelling and still easily better than comic movies or CW crap.

Oddly, at episode 10 my Netflix switched to German language with Chinese subtitles. Ez fix
    zikaatlaw said:

Through s2ep9. Don't care what the characters are "supposed to be" from the comics. This is good storytelling and still easily better than comic movies or CW crap.

Oddly, at episode 10 my Netflix switched to German language with Chinese subtitles. Ez fix

I agree with you it's great. But to say the CW stuff is crap I totally disagree with.

Because Daredevil has the same things that make Arrow and Flash annoying sometimes like."Spoilers"

Matt not telling Karen he's DD is just as ignoring as Barry not telling Patty.

And Foggy's constant crying is annoying as Felicity's crybabing.

The problem is that's the stupid troupes of Superhero stuff I just wish would go away but it doesn't.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    David_D said:

S2 Ep 1 & 2

I'm glad the show is back, though I think the season is off to a middling start.

These first two episodes feel more like 'Daredevil's Friend Foggy Nelson, featuring Daredevil" than a Daredevil show. I feel like they are leaning too heavily on having Foggy drive the narrative and establish the stakes.

It feels like the budget is lower than S1. Hell's Kitchen seems to have become a very empty place, and there are a lot more 'big empty warehouse' scenes than the first season. The supporting cast is smaller (suddenly, that one police officer from S1, Foggy's friend, seems to be The Only Police Character Who Gets More Than 5 Lines-- as that puts you at a higher pay rate as an actor-- and so suddenly he is doing everything from keeping the crowd back at a crime scene, to being in charge of the interrogation/ witness protection meeting for the only surviving witness of a a room where 10 people were killed?? This is nitpicky, but I think that would be a detective's job, and they might even have a partner along with them. But not having those layers of characters just makes the show feel less real, and more cheaply done. I worry that this will be a trend for these Netflix Marvel shows-- spend on/ make a splash with the first season, and then budget the second season for an audience you can take for granted while spending on launching the next one.

Again, those are nitpicky, but my main turnoff so far is Punisher. I am a longtime Punisher fan, so I am going to be hard to please. And it is only two episodes in, so there is plenty of room for the way they are doing the character to get better. But that sequence of him walking through the hospital, indiscriminately firing a scatter shots from a shotgun? All wrong. That felt like a scene about a T-800 Terminator, who is heading straight for the target and doesn't give a damn about any other human beings around, rather than a Punisher scene. His target was a sitting duck, and *that* was his plan? Nope. Way too easy for civilians to get hurt. Way too poor of an approach. That felt like what criminals would do if they wanted to frame the Punisher for something. That sequence felt like a terror attack rather than Punisher planning and executing a mission.

And I could see if they were, say, doing the crazy, over the top Punisher (a la his original, since-retconned Spider-Man appearances), or if we are supposed to feel that he is just starting out and bad at this (a plan that goes bad, but his stubbornness to get the guy takes over, and the whole incident is a mess he learns from, a la Bruce's first night out as a vigilante in Batman Year One, before that bat comes through the window), then maybe I could see that. But there are all sorts of expository scenes where police and district attorneys are telling us that he is the 'one man Seal Team 6', and using all kinds of military efficiency-- that sounds like the Punisher we are used to. But in scenes like that hospital attack, or deciding to take the risk of springing a police trap just to finally get the last, and it seems, a pretty low-level, Irish mob guy, it just doesn't play. There would be too much risk in both those sequences of police and other innocent parties getting caught in the crossfire. It isn't working for me.

So, we'll see. Hope it gets better from here.

I just finished episode 3 and I think you'll feel better about the elements you weren't pleased with once you've seen it too. I'm enjoying it thoroughly, so far.
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Only 6 episodes in. Really enjoying it. I think more than season one. But I second the complaints about the punishers portrayal here thus far. I also agree that despite any shortcomings, DD Is vastly superior in every way to any and all other comic based shows on tv. Maybe less "action" over all than the others, but still better by bounds. Just my opinion.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    No spoilers here.

Outside of his badass looking costume, I've never really liked the Punisher. Not really my bag, baby. To me, superheroes don't kill. And I've not really read him other than a cameo appearance here or there in the books I regularly read. However, I'm on ep. 10 and I gotta say, he's starting to grow on me.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited March 2016
    Trying to remember that Punisher's real name is Frank Castle and not Stabby McStabbins. Ugh.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Just finished the 3rd episode and the staircase fight scene was a nice attempt to recapture the hallway scene from season one.
    I just have to give props to Daredevil's stunt coordinator, Philip J. Silvera, and his assistant, Eric Linden. They've absolutely outdone themselves on this series.
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    This is the best Punisher I've seen on screen.
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Finally finished the season. Good. Really good overall. Better than the first season and still easily the best comic book / super hero show on tv. That said there were disappointments for me. Sadly the Punisher was the biggest let down personally.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Non-spoiler overview of all 13.

I enjoyed it very much but only slight less than Season 1 because I liked Kingpin as the main villain than the big bad they used here.

Enjoyed the Punisher. I had to cover my eyes during the Stabby McStabbins parts! @fredzilla :) I look forward to his hopefully developing soon series.

I wasn't feeling Elektra. The accent maybe? Is she British? I don't know.

I'll make other comments in a spoilers post later.
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    So, did this happen to anyone else?

In the first episode of season 2; during the Punisher's march through the hospital, the sound kept dropping out. Whenever he would fire his gun, it would go silent.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    LOVED it. LOVED it. LOVED it. I like that the Hand Ninjas are a threat and not cannon fodder. It may be sacrilege to say it...so don't stone me...but I think this series could effectually pull off Shadowland. Maybe tie it into Fall From Grace and bring him through Born Again. If they took their time they could pull it off.

My only complaint is Elektra didn't seem to mature from College to her reappearance but maybe it was all an act.
    There needs to be a new Netflix series entitled "Deborah Ann Woll's Legs."
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I have to admit, while I LOVE the Daredevil series, I am NOT enamored with Ms Woll's version of Karen Page. I realize that I am in the minority. Perhaps I prefer brunettes.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 549

Mr_Cosmic said:

I have to admit, while I LOVE the Daredevil series, I am NOT enamored with Ms Woll's version of Karen Page. I realize that I am in the minority. Perhaps I prefer brunettes.
    She's "aiight"...Elektra could use some more meat on her bones...
    edited March 2016
    EDIT: [Spoilers concerning 2nd half of season]

I'm a couple episodes from being done but I was happy to see The Kingpin again this season. It was a surprise as I thought he'd be absent as the show focused on The Hand and The Punisher.

I was initially worried that having the Punisher, Elektra, and The Hand in the same season would be too much but it's worked out perfectly. Daredevil being pulled thin, and his world falling apart around him, made for good TV. Also, the Punisher story kept the season grounded as opposed to the wacky Hand cult stuff.
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I'm a couple episodes from being done but I was happy to see The Kingpin again this season. It was a surprise as I thought he'd be absent as the show focused on The Hand and The Punisher.

Doh! I knew I shouldn't have come back to this thread until I was finished. I am only on episode 6 so far and loving it... this was a major spoiler for me. I look forward to it.
    edited March 2016

Mr_Cosmic said:

Doh! I knew I shouldn't have come back to this thread until I was finished. I am only on episode 6 so far and loving it... this was a major spoiler for me. I look forward to it.
    Sorry! :(

I should have labeled it "spoilers" for which episodes..my bad :(

Finished last night. Foggy's fate is amusing.
  • CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    8 episodes in and thank goodness for Foggy and Karen. It's a dark show both in lighting and tone and it's interesting that Matt Murdock isn't a likeable man, although he has been an annoying dick in a lot of the comics so I suppose that is accurate.

I know Karen isn't a completely clean person after season one but at least she and Foggy seem to be trying to the right thing. She'd be much better off with him, and him with her.

The big trial in the middle of the season just seems like nonsense all round with some big scenes and some idiot logic to get there.

Still all terrific stuff though.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    I find it interesting that Daredevil gets praised at least in part for being dark and grim and for its violence (people can't stop talking about the hallway fight for instance), while Batman V. Superman gets panned at least in part for being dark and grim and for its violence (people can't stop talking about how many people Batman kills). I have yet to watch either, as I don't particularly want a lot of dark and grim in my entertainment, especially when it comes to entertainment involving heroes in spiffy costumes. And I'm someone who got sick of the Bendis/Brubaker run on Daredevil because of its unrelenting bleakness. It's not that I'm opposed to dark and grim superhero stories, but I do need to see a ray of hope and sunlight on occasion.

So my question is, does the praise/criticism come more from fans' expectations for these particular characters, or more from the execution of these particular stories? I'm sure it's a mix, and each viewer’s mileage will vary, but overall, which is the dominant reason for the difference in how these two projects are perceived?
    I realize you haven't watched any of the Netflix episodes yet, @nweathington so you probably don't know this, but Daredevil doesn't kill in this series. In fact, he insists that if Elektra is going to work with him, she can't kill either. The content is dark, but there are also lots of in-jokes, and laughter, and organic relationships in Daredevil. The two franchises are polar opposites in that regard.

Have you had a chance to seen Batman V Superman yet?
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

I realize you haven't watched any of the Netflix episodes yet, @nweathington so you probably don't know this, but Daredevil doesn't kill in this series. In fact, he insists that if Elektra is going to work with him, she can't kill either. The content is dark, but there are also lots of in-jokes, and laughter, and organic relationships in Daredevil. The two franchises are polar opposites in that regard.

Have you had a chance to seen Batman V Superman yet?

I know DD doesn't kill in the series, I was just reffering to all the graphic violence in general, which from what I've seen described is quite a bit more brutal than what we're used to seeing in most superhero movies and TV shows. But it is good to hear that there is some levity in the series. It's not something I've heard anyone talk about.

But surely the difference isn’t as simple as “Batman kills, Daredevil doesn’t.”

And, no, I haven't seen BvS yet. I was working WonderCon this past weekend and was just too tired to do anything after show hours. And I don't think I want to take my daughter to see it. So I'll most likely be waiting until it hits Netflix.